PDA

View Full Version : "Traditional Musical Instruments in Bhakti (Devotional) Culture of Haryana"

urmiladuhan
November 27th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I once heard a group of haryanvi singers who were devotees of Shiv Bhola - these singers wear a head gear which sort of looks like a helmet (I think it was non metallic, if I remember right) and has a bunch of stems (made of wire/thick threads) perched on their head to give an appearance of a fountain. Can anyone tell what are these people called?

urmiladuhan
November 28th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I once heard a group of haryanvi singers who were devotees of Shiv Bhola - these singers wear a head gear which sort of looks like a helmet (I think it was non metallic, if I remember right) and has a bunch of stems (made of wire/thick threads) perched on their head to give an appearance of a fountain. Can anyone tell what are these people called?

please find an attached photo of the people that I wanted info on. Can anyone tell what is their singing called and by what name are these people called in Haryana? is anything by them available on youtube? if so, please post a link. thanks in advance!

urmiladuhan
December 5th, 2011, 07:39 PM
please find an attached photo of the people that I wanted info on. Can anyone tell what is their singing called and by what name are these people called in Haryana? is anything by them available on youtube? if so, please post a link. thanks in advance!

fortunately, I happened to run into these singers today and got a chance to interview them briefly. They call themselves - Shiv Bhaktts. Their musical instruments include : khadalee, damroo, and bell (ghanti). I shall be posting the photographs of these musical instruments soon and also an audio of their songs.

urmiladuhan
December 11th, 2011, 01:56 AM
fortunately, I happened to run into these singers today and got a chance to interview them briefly. They call themselves - Shiv Bhaktts. Their musical instruments include : khadalee, damroo, and bell (ghanti). I shall be posting the photographs of these musical instruments soon and also an audio of their songs.

photo of Khadalee attached below:

urmiladuhan
December 11th, 2011, 02:07 AM

photo of damroo attached.

urmiladuhan
December 11th, 2011, 02:09 AM

photo of 'ghanti' attached.

urmiladuhan
December 11th, 2011, 02:24 AM

These are photos of "Tumba"

urmiladuhan
December 11th, 2011, 02:29 AM

photo of "been" attached :

urmiladuhan
December 11th, 2011, 03:01 AM

an audio file of their performance attached :

urmiladuhan
December 11th, 2011, 01:18 PM
If possible, moderators please edit the Title of the thread from "Information needed" to "Traditional Musical Instruments in Bhakti (Devotional) Culture of Haryana". This title editing option is not available to members, I think.

Thanks in advance!

deshi-jat
December 13th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks a lot Urmila Ji, for sharing the info about these Load Shiva devotees. Do these people live at one place or nomads? Also, is it possible for you to upload full devotional song?

an audio file of their performance attached :

urmiladuhan
December 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks a lot Urmila Ji, for sharing the info about these Load Shiva devotees. Do these people live at one place or nomads? Also, is it possible for you to upload full devotional song?

I will have to gather that information - please give me some time.

There is a limitation on JL on the size of an uploadable audio file. But I will try to upload on YouTube and post a link here.

And thanks for liking the posts in this thread :)