PDA

View Full Version : haryanavi singers

vickypanwar
May 1st, 2005, 03:24 AM
Wanted to know a little bit about singers from haryana and what do out Jat bhai/bahan think about them.
We don't get to hear a lot about any singer of repute who hails from haryana.
Even in haryanavi films/albums, many singers are non-haryanavis. Nothing is wrong with that ofcourse as long as they can do justice to the accent.

How about discussing haryanavi singers in this thread. I am listing a few of them here.

Dilraj Kaur: I think she is a punjabi but has sung many hit haryanavi numbers. "Meri patli kamar" from "Panghat" is one of my favourites.

Gulab singh: I like his voice. Don't hear much of him these days.

Rajkishan agvanpuria: The legendary ragani gayak.

Rajender Kharkiya: He seems to be the most popular ragani gayak of modern times.

Ram Nivas: He can be heard in the pop albums - "dhare jab pahunchya enland" and "desi ka pauva"

Bhal singh: of the "chandrawal" and "chora jat ka" fame.

More:-
Savita Saathi
Poornima

Also how do you like Gurdas maan singing in haryanavi? - "main haryane ka jat".

Thoughts?

-Vikas

rsdalal
May 4th, 2005, 06:28 AM
You are right most of them are not Haryanvi's and do not have the right accent...

vickypanwar
May 5th, 2005, 08:50 AM
It's strange that although punjabi music is popular all over the world, most people (other than haryanavis ofcourse) don't know that there is such a thing as haryanavi music. Same goes for the dance.

I think haryana is losing its cultural heritage. "Ragnis" find few patrons in the young generation. Many think it's not "cool" to listen to that kinda stuff.

Haryanavi is contrued (by many) as a language of the "dehati" and "unpad". This is especially true of cities. Which I guess is a prime reason why many don't take up singing haryanavi.

I don't want to sound morose, but I think this is a sad state of affairs.
Haryanavi deserves its rightful place; And it can only come from within (its people).

-Vikas

sjakhars
May 5th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Hin Vikas You are not on chaupal.
i am from Rajasthan and did not get anyone at chaupal.

deeprana
May 5th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Karampal sharma (UP) is also a good singer.

Deep Rana

vickypanwar
May 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM
wondering if there's any 'guru' who teaches ragnis these days.
Also can someone shed some light on the tradition and origin of this music form?

Thanks,
-Vikas

deepkadyan
December 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Hi,
this is in response to Vikas panvar's query about haryanavi singers. i am researching on this particular aspect in my research 'popular music and configuratuion of jat identity in haryana 1900-2000' in which i am looking at popular musical traditions right from medieval times down to present day and would be making postings regularly. for now you cal refer to my recent posting 'ragini cassette industry'.
Thanking
Deepak Kadyan.

ravinder
December 7th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Visit the new Literature page at www.haryanavimusic.com. I have uploaded a new document on 'Development of Sangeet and Saang in Haryana'. The document is in Hindi and is in PDF format. The contents of the document is an actual chapter from one of the books on Lakhmi Chand.

wondering if there's any 'guru' who teaches ragnis these days.
Also can someone shed some light on the tradition and origin of this music form?

Thanks,
-Vikas