Thread: history of Mann/Maan Gotra

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Post history of Mann/Maan Gotra

people with information on the topic are welcome to share there knowledge.

History of Maan gotra

Maan is a gotra of Jats found in Rajasthan, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh in India. Maan is considered to be a branch of Bhati Jats. They are Suryavanshi kshatriyas. Shankpati, the father of bhakt Puranmal, was married to these people.

About 1500 years ago a group of these people came from Ghazni and settled at place called 'Balavansa' near Delhi. Maan clan descended from Maas Singh. His son Bijal Singh came to 'Dhosi' village and settled here. The village Dhosi is surrounded by hills and situated near Narnaul in Haryana. Large number of people come to this place from far off places every year. Many temples and kunds have been constructed here. A fair is also organized at this place.

Prior to the Maan people came, Gandas gotra Jats were the rulers here. Bijal Singh was married to Gaurandevi, daughter of Nagal. He founded a village called 'Gorir' in the name of Gaurandevi at a distance of 3 km from Dhosi.

Roopram Singh was the chieftain of this clan after 20 generations of Bijal Singh. At the time of Roopram Singh Shekhawats had occupied this province. Roopram Singh struggled for about 10 to 12 years in mid nineteenth century against Shekhawats of Khetri, but maan people did not accept the rule of Shekhawats.

Reference
    Thakur Deshraj: Jat Itihas, Delhi,1934
    Laxman Burdak

Login to view details.

Question Mann/Maan gotra

Is it possible to say Maan’s are descendents of Mahmud of Ghazni?

Login to view details.

Question Mann/Maan gotra

what are Bhati Jats?
    and what is a Suryavanshi kshatriyas i no its a warrior but could you explane?

No its impossible.
    vinod

Quote Originally Posted by supersteve
    Is it possible to say Maan’s are descendents of Mahmud of Ghazni?
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Login to view details.
    what are Bhati Jats?

Steve, there were two main dynasties in ancient india, solar race(suryavamsi) and lunar race(Chandervansa)... kshatriya is name for warrior class of society similarily there were priest, trader and worker classes like Guides in 17th CE Europe...
    Ikshvaku(ancester of Rama) is said to be founder of solar race and Rama and luv-kush and long list of kings have their history recorded in various books. (Ramayana is one of them but it has lot of mythological flavor), one of the most informative source is Kalidas's Raguvamsa where he talks about long lineage of kings.... I think the last descendent of solar race was killed in Mahabharta war in hands of Abhimanyun(not sure of this fact, need to be verified, just had impression).... Present day Rajputs claim to be descendent of solar race....

Mahabharta was fought between kshatriyas of lunar race(chandervansa), kauravas and pandavas. and they too had long lineage of kings starting with Dilip (father of Bhagirath).. they have lots of interesting stories and best known is of course Mahabharta.... Yaddu tribe in that time was also thought to be lunar race... some histrorian say that Jats are descendent of lunar race...

Steve, it would be great if you cud give your background, where are u from, are you indian etc....

see u around
    vinod

what are Bhati Jats?
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Sorry I don't know much about Bhati jats but Bhatti rajput is one of the clan that migrated from Rajasthan to eastern Europe....

vinod

what are Bhati Jats?

Login to view details.
    well i am currently in school studying history so thats why i am asking so many questions. i am of jat sikh lineage are village in india is jalandar and im trying to make a family tree dating as far back as i could but i only speak a little bit of punjabi and am finding it hard to come across any information about are history in india its all very old and confussing.

thanks for all your help

-Steve

Steve, feel free to ask any question here even if they are very general... there are lots of people who can answer yr queries....

vinod

About Bhati

Bhati is clan name found in Rajputs, Jats and Muslims in India. Bhatis were initially Yadavas. When the people were driven away from the fertile lands of Brij, Ghazni, Herat and Punjab they came to Thar desert area of Jangladesh. Jangladesh was infertile and there was scarcity of water everywhere in this region. The people had to wander from here to there in search of water and food. These people were known as Bhati. The word Bhati is derived from Hindi word 'Bhatkana'.

Bhatis had come to Jangladesh prior to 4th century when the Buddhism was at peak. Later when the influence of Buddhism came down and Hindu religion was spreading, Bhatis got divided into two categories namely 1. Rajput Bhati and 2. Jat Bhati. Third category came into existence, Muslim Bhati, under the influence of Islam.

Jat Bhatis ruled Bhatner, presently Hanumangarh, and Bhatinda. Bhatner was historically important because it was situated on route of invaders from Central Asia to India. Rajput Bhatis ruled Jaisalmer.

Reference
    Thakur Deshraj: Jat Itihas (Hindi), Maharaja Suraj Mal Smarak Shiksha Sansthan, Delhi, 1934.
    *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhati
    Laxman Burdak

Login to view details.
    thanks for the information guys

Four jat gotra Dalal, Deshwal, Suhag(Sehwag, sihag etc) and Mann have bhaichara. It is said that these gotra started by four brothers. That is why no marriages take place among these four gotras'. We see these gotras in Hindu jats in Haryan, Delhi and UP. But for some reason we do not find all gotras in sikh jats, but only Mann. Any theory behind this...
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent..."

Quote Originally Posted by lrburdak
    Bhati is clan name found in Rajputs, Jats and Muslims in India. Bhatis were initially Yadavas. When the people were driven away from the fertile lands of Brij, Ghazni, Herat and Punjab they came to Thar desert area of Jangladesh. Jangladesh was infertile and there was scarcity of water everywhere in this region. The people had to wander from here to there in search of water and food. These people were known as Bhati. The word Bhati is derived from Hindi word 'Bhatkana'.

Bhatis had come to Jangladesh prior to 4th century when the Buddhism was at peak. Later when the influence of Buddhism came down and Hindu religion was spreading, Bhatis got divided into two categories namely 1. Rajput Bhati and 2. Jat Bhati. Third category came into existence, Muslim Bhati, under the influence of Islam.

Jat Bhatis ruled Bhatner, presently Hanumangarh, and Bhatinda. Bhatner was historically important because it was situated on route of invaders from Central Asia to India. Rajput Bhatis ruled Jaisalmer.

Reference
    Thakur Deshraj: Jat Itihas (Hindi), Maharaja Suraj Mal Smarak Shiksha Sansthan, Delhi, 1934.
    *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhati
    Hello, Burdak Sahib
    Good evening.
    I am glad to see your qoute here about jat history. You are working on this topic, it is very usefull for we jats to know about us. You are doing good job by posting here good thread about jat history.

Thanks, keep it on, sir.

Badan Singh Chauhan

Login to view details.
    thanks guys there would have been no way i would have figured all these things out on my own this information was very usefull.