Thread: Vellore Institute Of Technology[ Vellore ]

Vellore Institute Of Technology[ Vellore ]

Worthy members, can you throw some light on the above institute ie its standing,kind of education they provide,placement opputunity etc-2. Also how do you compare it with BITS pilani and AIT pune. Your feedback will be important. So kindly throw some light.
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Nobody ??

Dahiyaji,

BITS Pilani is in the same category as the IITs. BITS attracts the best students from all over India who are not so lucky in the IIT entrance examination. So, there is not much to compare between BITS and the other two you mentioned.
    Birbal Singh

I won't know how it compares with BITS or any IIT, but this is what has been reported about this institute in Washington Post;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010200566.html

This institute is certainly on its way to make mark globally sooner or later...

RK^2

Birbal ji and Rajendra ji...thank you both so much for the timely input. Really greatful to you both. Regards.

Dev Sir,
    Please go to the following link to see the college rankings (India Today also ranks them annualy though I could not dig it out). It doesn't seem to have Vellore in top 20.

http://www.rediff.com/money/2005/jun/28spec.htm

-Kismat
    Last edited by kismat.singh; February 7th, 2006 at 11:19 PM.

Smile ......

BITS Pilani should not be compared with Vellore or AIT Pune; though relatively Vellore is much better than AIT Pune (if it is Army Institute of Technology, actually I do not know which institute you are talking about).
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up"

Quote Originally Posted by choudharysaaab
    BITS Pilani should not be compared with Vellore or AIT Pune; though relatively Vellore is much better than AIT Pune (if it is Army Institute of Technology, actually I do not know which institute you are talking about).

Yes Hemant dear, i am talking about Army Institute of Technology here.

Quote Originally Posted by devdahiya
    Yes Hemant dear, i am talking about Army Institute of Technology here.
    Still......Vellore would be better than AIT.
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up"

Education and Training

Devji,

First you have to decide whether you are interested in education or training? Although both terms are used interchangeably by many, there is considerable difference between the two.

Let me start by quoting Marshall McLuhan that " a well educated person can be trained to do anything in six months, while a well trained person is only slightly better than an ape."

Most of the private colleges that have sprung up in recent years in India are really providing training, and there is nothing wrong in that because training is very important and useful for the country. However, education goes beyond training where one comes out equipped with anayltical skills that he/she can use anywhere (I have seen large number of IIT graduates going for IAS). There have been articles published about these private institutions describing how they do not provide a well rounded education. These places are really businesses and to be frank, successful businesses.
    Birbal Singh

Quote Originally Posted by birbal
    Devji,

First you have to decide whether you are interested in education or training? Although both terms are used interchangeably by many, there is considerable difference between the two.

Let me start by quoting Marshall McLuhan that " a well educated person can be trained to do anything in six months, while a well trained person is only slightly better than an ape."

Most of the private colleges that have sprung up in recent years in India are really providing training, and there is nothing wrong in that because training is very important and useful for the country. However, education goes beyond training where one comes out equipped with anayltical skills that he/she can use anywhere (I have seen large number of IIT graduates going for IAS). There have been articles published about these private institutions describing how they do not provide a well rounded education. These places are really businesses and to be frank, successful businesses.

You are absolutely right Birbal sir. Infact my son has applied for IIT,BITS and VIT and hence the curiosity. I wanted the correct input and i am really thankful to you all for valuable information provided out here. It will help us plan things better. Gratefulness!

Another bit of information if can be given by some members needed is: Which are the good[quality] institutes related to Information Technology[specialized] in India after 12th standard[other than IIT/BITS etc]
    Last edited by devdahiya; February 8th, 2006 at 12:16 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by devdahiya
    Another bit of information if can be given by some members needed is: Which are the good[quality] institutes related to Information Technology[specialized] in India after 12th standard[other than IIT/BITS etc]
    You should think about NIT Tiruchirappalli and IIIT Hyderabad; though other NITs like NIT Warangal and NIT Karnataka can also be cosidered.