Thread: jats in south ????

jats in south ????

Mylapore(Tamil:மயிலாப்பூர்) is the cultural hub, and a bustling neighborhood, just south of CHENNAI (formerlymadras) city, the capital of TAMIL NADU India. It is probably founded by mayla jats CLAN

sorry but

if mylapore sounds like myla then it dos'nt mean it would be related to jats

remove such articles which are like this

like this u can say jats are everywhere in world ??

jats never been in south india .

this jatland wiki needs to be cleaned and such articles should be removed which are based on this type of proofs

there are no such community

Vivekji,
    Thanks for the suggestions. We need some authentic information that there have been no Jats in the south. There are some Jats in Chennai at present but they are mostly from north India. I can see Jat Samaj Magazine published from Agra , December 2008, which has 22 Jat members from Chennai. Two of them are Mayla clan Jats.

Can you tell some reasons why Jats did not go to south.

If we go by the mythological stories we find that Banasur was associated with Jats and Madras as well.

The present Bana Jats are descendants of Banasur.

According to a legend, Banasura had obtained a boon from Lord Shiva that he could be vanquished only by a virgin, unable to bear the harassment of the asura king, Shakti, the supreme Goddess was requested by the Devas to destroy Banasura who was creating havoc on the inhabitants of this world. In Shakti appeared as a young virgin girl at Kanyakumari and commenced penance in answer to their Prayers.

Another legend is that Sthanunatha (a form of Shiva) god of Suchindram, a nearby town located 12 km from Kanya Kumari, desired to marry the virgin goddess. Other gods became apprehensive that the marriage would result into the goddess losing her power. Narada schemed to resolve the problem. The marriage was fixed to be solemnized just before the daybreak. When Shiva's procession reached a site by name Vazhukkumpaarai, a rooster crowed, heralding daybreak, and that Shiva assuming that the auspicious hour was past, returned to Suchindram. All the food prepared for the wedding was laid waste and that it turned into the colored sand seen on the southern shores of the subcontinent.

Meanwhile, Banasura heard about the beauty of the girl and came to request her hand in marriage. When Devi rejected the idea, Banasura decided to win her by force. This led to a fierce battle in which the goddess killed Banasura. [V. Meera:Temples of South India, p. 1-3]

This narration shows links of Banasur with Kanyakumari.

There is a waterfall and place called Bana Tirtham in Tirunelveli district in Tamil Nadu.

Here the mythological story kills Banasura but in fact the Bana clan people who were rulers here were killed in the war.

The place Mylapore is also associated with Ptolemy the Egyptian traveller. He is supposed to have arrived at this place, which was once a thriving port city.

Marco Polo is believed to have visited Mylapore. Marco Polo has left a detailed description of the land, the people and their customs and religion[The Travels of Marco Polo by Henry Yule, Vol 2, Book 3, Chapters XVII and XVIII,Project Gutenberg].

We have so far no ancient details about Mayla Jat clan. "Mayil" in Tamil means a peacock. So the probability of Myla Jats going to south in ancient times can not be ruled out.
    Laxman Burdak

Jats in South

Laxman Ji,
    I would rather prefer to keep History and Mythology seperate. Mixing the two, especially with the aid of some similar sounding words or word parts. As they say -sound etymology is no sound (aythentic) etymology.
    The jats may take resident any where but their original habitat is well known and should remain to trace them. Commonality of clan names or other attribute necessarily should not be construed to suggest common links where nion exits as per historical evidence. The onus of proving lies on the proposer. Let us answer the questions by treplies and not by asking the questioner to prove otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by drssrana2003 View Post
    Laxman Ji,
    I would rather prefer to keep History and Mythology seperate. Mixing the two, especially with the aid of some similar sounding words or word parts. As they say -sound etymology is no sound (aythentic) etymology.
    The jats may take resident any where but their original habitat is well known and should remain to trace them. Commonality of clan names or other attribute necessarily should not be construed to suggest common links where nion exits as per historical evidence. The onus of proving lies on the proposer. Let us answer the questions by treplies and not by asking the questioner to prove otherwise.
    Exactly! I don't want to run down anyone's effort here, but Jatland wiki is replete with cases where history/mythology has been mixed or very weak logic is used to link anything with Jats. Wrong information is much more harmful than no information.

I completely agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by kapil.dalal View Post
    ... very weak logic is used to link anything with Jats.
    Wrong information is much more harmful than no information.
    Of all the things that tax a man's patience, there's nothing to compare with a stuck zipper.

We may do following things:

1.Rana saheb have provided good suggestion to keep History and Mythology separate. In absence of scientific or historical evidences mythology at times proves useful to go deep into the matter.

2. Members can point out the topic and specific content which they think may prove harmful and may suggest ways to improve it. Our purpose is to improve the history and not to harm.

3. Members can directly go to the topic and edit. It is editable by members of Jatland.

Regards,
    Laxman Burdak

Jats inn South

Laxman Ji,
    Thanks a lot. Your graceful attitude is very heartening for people like me. Let us proceed together insearch of more history,precise history, to celebrate it, to learn a few lessons from it.

Quote Originally Posted by lrburdak View Post
    We may do following things:

1.Rana saheb have provided good suggestion to keep History and Mythology separate. In absence of scientific or historical evidences mythology at times proves useful to go deep into the matter.

2. Members can point out the topic and specific content which they think may prove harmful and may suggest ways to improve it. Our purpose is to improve the history and not to harm.

3. Members can directly go to the topic and edit. It is editable by members of Jatland.

Regards,
    Burdakji,

Thanks. Really appreciate your open-mindedness on the issue. Here are some examples of how a link to Jats has been proposed based on sound etymology. I am not a learned scholar like Dr. Rana, and as such I don't have contrarian evidence, but I find the logic used in these pages to be quite weak.
    http://www.jatland.com/home/Tashkent
    http://www.jatland.com/home/Khotan
    http://www.jatland.com/home/Jatani
    http://www.jatland.com/home/Garhjat

The last 2 pages don't even have any material on Jats- not sure why they are listed there.

The instances of using sound etymology/mythology to establish links are more widespread. While it is not my case that all these links are manifestly incorrect, I think there is a need for healthy skepticism when the proof/logic is not strong enough. Those with better knowledge of historical events can probably present supporting/refuting arguments on the history forum, such that an unbiased debate can take place. A debate that is not motivated by reaching a favorable/unfavorable result, but in leaving everyone more informed with arguments on both sides.

Regards,
    Kapil

I agree completely. I read somewhere on the forum that Allahabad was associated with Ahlawat, just because it's vaguely sounds like it. While it's a known fact that Allahabad used to be known as Prayag, and was changed to Allahabad by Akbar. Yes, the same Akbar that our historians, and bollywood have been romanticizing about being the greatest most secular king India ever had, while the facts are totally opposite.