Thread: Haryana's attempt to eradicate polio

Haryana's attempt to eradicate polio

http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/17/stor...1712010300.htm

CHANDIGARH: Nearly 14.5 lakh children below the age of five years were administered polio drops in Haryana during the first day of Sub-National Intensified Pulse Polio Immunisation Round on Sunday in Bhiwani, Faridabad, Gurgaon, Jhajjar, Mewat, Panipat, Rewari, Rohtak and Sonipat districts.
    The Health Minister, Kartar Devi, said here on Monday that about 23 lakh children would be covered in this three- day round.
    She said the Government was committed to eradicate polio from the State.
    The next phase of this Sub-National round in these districts would be held on February 26 during which special attention would be paid to the children residing in slums, far-flung areas, isolated hutments, brick kilns and floating or migrating population. She disclosed that last year, 64 polio cases were confirmed in the country which included 28 in Uttar Pradesh, 29 in Bihar, two in Jharkhand and one each in Delhi, Uttranchal, Gujarat, Punjab and Haryana (Jhajjar).

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

It Is A Long Way Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rahulkharb
    http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/17/stor...1712010300.htm

CHANDIGARH: Nearly 14.5 lakh children below the age of five years were administered polio drops in Haryana during the first day of Sub-National Intensified Pulse Polio Immunisation Round on Sunday in Bhiwani, Faridabad, Gurgaon, Jhajjar, Mewat, Panipat, Rewari, Rohtak and Sonipat districts.
    The Health Minister, Kartar Devi, said here on Monday that about 23 lakh children would be covered in this three- day round.
    She said the Government was committed to eradicate polio from the State.
    The next phase of this Sub-National round in these districts would be held on February 26 during which special attention would be paid to the children residing in slums, far-flung areas, isolated hutments, brick kilns and floating or migrating population. She disclosed that last year, 64 polio cases were confirmed in the country which included 28 in Uttar Pradesh, 29 in Bihar, two in Jharkhand and one each in Delhi, Uttranchal, Gujarat, Punjab and Haryana (Jhajjar).
    The govt is not equipped to eradicate polio. I remember one incident.
    The vaccine used for polio is very heat sensitive and it should be kept in freezing condition prior to use. Now what happens is that the vaccines are stored in the freezes in PHCs where one gets electricity only 8 hrs a day so the vaccines are useless by the time they are used . No one is concerned in Haryana what people are concerned is Taking cuts in them .
    It is along way to go

This is what Health secretary, Ministry of Health and FW says on the subject;

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/...olio_Fears.php

I often accompanied my daughter to many such camps and wrote to Prime Minster about the whole experience. Today again I wrote to Health secretary after reading the above link. This is what I wrote to him;

.................................................. ......................................
    Dear Shri Hota Ji,

I read your views on The increase in incidences of Polio. You might be shocked on the whole issue but not people like us who got glimpses of how the whole programme is run by various state governments. I am the father of a young post graduate medical student who often goes on duty during polio camps. I often drove her to the sites of camp. Here are my observations;

1. Camps are located in narrow lanes of localities where its hard to reach and authorities provide no directions to the place.
    2. Authorities expect that the dr. should physically visit the place one day prior to the date of camp.
    3. Total amount paid by government for the entire exercise is Rs. 25.00 (Rs Twnty five only). This amount does not cover even if one takes public transport and a Riksha.
    4. Most of the publicity for Polio is on main roads and in posh localities. One hardly see many posters in poor localities.
    5. There is hardly any publicity about these camps in rural India, excpet on TV. Authrities should note that rural India hardly gets electric supply and TV is not an effective media there.

High time health authrities become more practical if they are really sincere to solve this problem.

Thanking You
    Sincerely Yours
    Rajendra Kumar
    President
    Farmers Welfare Foundation
    Village Simbhalka
    PO Shamli
    Distt. Muzaffar Magar (UP)
    .................................................. ..............................................

RK^2

Less attention towards other vaccines

Due to high publicity of polio vaccination,common man doesnt care about other vaccinations which are essential for kids eg:DPT,TB etc.
    there is some sort of misbelief that polio vaccine will take care of everything .
    Vikas Kajal
    Rogers Wireless(Integration)