Thread: Causes of Indian defeat in the Indo-china war of 1962

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Causes of Indian defeat in the Indo-china war of 1962

What were the causes of Indian defeat in the Indo-china war of 1962? Akshai chin - part of kashmir occupied by china still shows in Indian map as part of Indian Kashmir? Do chinese border patrols still make incursions into Indian territories unchallenged?
    Has Indian forgotten its lost territory/ies? Pakistan gave away part of Kashmir to China. Free? Why no one talks about it?

In experienced & weak National leadership. Total neglect, disregards & down gradaion of Defence Forces. Lack of information & weak intelligence system. Less strenght, lack of training & preparedness, Lack of weapons, equepment & resources with Defence Forces.

I donot think, any chines patrolling party enters our area unchallenged at present but I feel the day is not forof, when it may happen again because similar weaknesses as were pervailing before 1962, has started showing their heads again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fateh View Post
    In experienced & weak National leadership. Total neglect, disregards & down gradaion of Defence Forces. Lack of information & weak intelligence system. Less strenght, lack of training & preparedness, Lack of weapons, equepment & resources with Defence Forces.
    bilkul thik kaha aap nai

Too much stress by our leadership on peace by all means......hindi-cheeni bhai-2....complacent attitude has never helped a nation ever.

Poor training and preparedness of forces.

Lack of proper Armament and ammunition.

Very poor political leadership

Vast superiority of China over Indian security set up.

Low morale of defence forces( Today is worst than that....this Government and the Babus have destroyed the very fabric and ethos right and proper)

We were caught napping like a rabit ib the trap of an eagle.

Nehru was busy putting his red roses in place...what a dismal show was that?
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Baaki saari maanli Dev bhai aapki, par ye Low Moral waali baat se thoda sa asahamt hone ki gustaakhi.

Moral is much higher today than it was during those times and the reasons for that you have already enumerated.

Quote Originally Posted by devdahiya View Post
    Low morale of defence forces( Today is worst than that....this Government and the Babus have destroyed the very fabric and ethos right and proper)

More Reasons!

Contrary to belief of most, the aggression during the 1962 started from our side first.
    China had disputed the Indo-China Border with India. The difference is on the principle of Watershed Vs. the McMohan Line. It will be futile to discuss that issue here and members can google about it and find out the difference.

After the easy success against Pakistan in 1947-48 we probably thought that China would be the same, after all China also got her independence around that time. The vision of political leadership about the threat was rather poor and I would say the senior leadership of the military was no different.

The political leadership is suppose to define the "Threat Perception", and military leadership then needs to address that. I left India in 1998 and till then to the best of my knowledge, Political Leadership did not have the threat perception while military had its own.
    Col (Retd) Virendra Tavathia

"A person should not be judged by the nature of his/her job, but the manner in which he/she does that".