Thread: Study in USA on L1 visa

Study in USA on L1 visa

Hi All,

Could you please advise if we can at all study MS in USA if working there on L1 VISA...

If there there is a way out please advise.

Regards,
    Anil
    क्रांति तभी सफल होती है जब बहुमत को उसकी आवश्यकता हो - आचार्य चाणक्य

Yes you can. any visa H1, L1, H4, L4 is good for studies as long as you also maintain your L1 or H1 status, that is you continue to work full time on L1 for the company that sponsored your L1. You can not quit your job and continue studying just on L1. In that case u have to convert your L1 to F1 or I-20 (which is very easy to obtain). So, in a way you wont be able to study full time as that means you are not working for required 40 hrs a week. Part time or distance education should be perfectly ok.
    Last edited by vijay123; June 11th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Thank you vijay bhai.
    I am planning to travel next year to Dallas.. when I would require to convert my L1 into F1 or I-20 (after getting admission or before it) and also could you please guide what is the procedure for that?

Quote Originally Posted by vijay123 View Post
    Yes you can. any visa H1, L1, H4, L4 is good for studies as long as you also maintain your L1 or H1 status, that is you continue to work full time on L1 for the company that sponsored your L1. You can not quit your job and continue studying just on L1. In that case u have to convert your L1 to F1 or I-20 (which is very easy to obtain). So, in a way you wont be able to study full time as that means you are not working for required 40 hrs a week. Part time or distance education should be perfectly ok.
    क्रांति तभी सफल होती है जब बहुमत को उसकी आवश्यकता हो - आचार्य चाणक्य

Conversion to I-20:

Depends on what your objective is: Once you obtain admission to a college they will issue you a I-20. All colleges know the procedure as there are many students from other countries studying here on visas. So there should not be any problem. You should only concentrate on getting admission. Also there are some institutes (private ones) opened by Indian and other folks who are licensed by US authorities to provide I-20, they will either issue them or they will get you enrolled in an online education program at a very nominal rate and get you the I-20.

Quote Originally Posted by anil_rathee View Post
    Thank you vijay bhai.
    I am planning to travel next year to Dallas.. when I would require to convert my L1 into F1 or I-20 (after getting admission or before it) and also could you please guide what is the procedure for that?