Thread: Soft Copy vs Hard Copy

Soft Copy vs Hard Copy

I know most of us here on Jatland are fond of literature. Literature is nothing but food to the soul and books are the best friends. Earlier we used to get only printed books/novels and used to write our name on the first page to make it very much personal thing. With the advancement of technology, we started to digitize the books and put it in eBook form. We started getting eBook readers like Kindle, Nook, iLiad etc. Now, most of the books are available in pdf version. While reading a book this thought caught my attention and I started wondering if eBooks are going to replace the hard copy completely in the coming time.
    I know that eBooks are having some advantages over hard copy like
    1. We can store thousand of books in our eReaders hence making them highly portable.
    2. We can quickly download a book and start reading it if we have net connection available.
    3. EBooks are less vulnerable unless your device stops working suddenly.
    4. Most of the eBook readers are loaded with text to speech feature which can read out the books to you.

Knowing all these factors, still I feel that hard copy of a book has a different kind of significance. They are more closer to out heart. If we open the shelf of our personal library and suddenly encounter a book which we read many years ago just reminds us of that time. We take it out in our hands, dust it off and start turning the pages of the book.
    It's really a wonderful feeling which most of you must have experienced at some point of time in your life.
    Without making it a long article, just would like to know your views on this. How do you feel about this change when eBooks have started outdoing the hardcopy?
    जिंदगी पथ है मंजिल की तरफ जाने का,
    जिंदगी नाम है तूफानों से टकराने का.
    मौत तो बस चैन से सो जाने की बदनामी है,
    जिंदगी गीत है मस्ती से सदा गाने का..

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deependra For This Useful Post:

htomar (May 5th, 2011), kuldeephmh (May 5th, 2011), singhvp (May 5th, 2011), sjakhars (May 5th, 2011)

I have a kindle and I totally love it. It is one of the best things I have ever purchased. I can carry it in the pocket of a jacket. And read it wherever. Now in the 20 minute journey between office and home, I can read India today, economist, etc. Or any book. Whatever the size. Can connect it to the net and read articles via google reader or instapaper. Can send long emails or research pdfs to it and read there. Basically, I am reading much more than I ever did. And that just overcomes any sort of sentimental reason for physical books (not that I had much of that in the first place).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kapdal For This Useful Post:

deependra (May 5th, 2011), singhvp (May 5th, 2011)

Giving 100% support to deependra.
    You are absolutely right brother.
    I feel the same many times, really a hard copy of a book is closer to our hear and soul!
    इस ज़मीं आसमा से आगे हूँ.... वक़्त के कारवा से आगे हूँ ... मैं कहा हूँ ये खुदा जाने ..... कल जहा था वहा से आगे हूँ .....
    Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kuldeephmh For This Useful Post:

deependra (May 5th, 2011)

Dependra ji your post reminds me old days.
    aajkal ebook ka chalan jyada hai.lekin jo mja hard copy mai hai.wesa mja e ook padhne mai nahi aata.thodi der padhne ke baad dimag bhari ho jaata hai.hard copy to ghanto tak padh sakta hu.pages ki khusboo kaise bhooli jaa sakti hai.whwenever i came to delhi.my first destination used to be nayi sadak.
    e books ke apne faayde hai.lekin literature ke liye to hard copy best hai.hard copy aise hai jaise ki girl friend ko kisi khoobsuart si natural jagah par le jaana aur saamne baithkar use dekhna ,bate karna.e book to kisi disco le jaana ya fir phone par baate karke hi rah jaane jaisi hui. dono mai kitna difference hai??
    aajkal life fast hai so e book prefer ki jaati hai jyada.but personaly for me,hard copy is the best.alag hi feeling aati hai padhne mai.lagta hai ki padh rahe hai.e book padhne mai aisa lagta hai ki jaise boss ne kuchh kaam diya ho aur jaise taise karke jaldi se niptana hai bas.

Quote Originally Posted by deependra View Post
    I know most of us here on Jatland are fond of literature. Literature is nothing but food to the soul and books are the best friends. Earlier we used to get only printed books/novels and used to write our name on the first page to make it very much personal thing. With the advancement of technology, we started to digitize the books and put it in eBook form. We started getting eBook readers like Kindle, Nook, iLiad etc. Now, most of the books are available in pdf version. While reading a book this thought caught my attention and I started wondering if eBooks are going to replace the hard copy completely in the coming time.
    1. We can store thousand of books in our eReaders hence making them highly portable.
    2. We can quickly download a book and start reading it if we have net connection available.
    4. Most of the eBook readers are loaded with text to speech feature which can read out the books to you.

Knowing all these factors, still I feel that hard copy of a book has a different kind of significance. They are more closer to out heart. If we open the shelf of our personal library and suddenly encounter a book which we read many years ago just reminds us of that time. We take it out in our hands, dust it off and start turning the pages of the book.
    It's really a wonderful feeling which most of you must have experienced at some point of time in your life.
    Without making it a long article, just would like to know your views on this. How do you feel about this change when eBooks have started outdoing the hardcopy?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to htomar For This Useful Post:

It is, though, a matter of individual choice which varies from person to person, I see certain minus points of hard copies of books vis-a-vis e-copies, which are given below:

1.Sometimes a kind of nauseating stench emanates from the very old books which might cause a nasal allergy to some people.
    2.Being more voluminous, hard books occupy more space
    3.More care and material needed to preserve them
    4.Not very easy to carry in travel, in comparison to their new incarnation
    5.Transfer/sharing of hard books is more difficult than e-books
    6.Accessibility is more difficult. One has to either go to some library/shop or wait for the book-post delivery whereas e-books can be had by online payment (perhaps).

It is, however, good to keep/preserve hard copies, if one can, as a standby arrangement to
    guard against any potential computer/network failure or cyber war. In fact, some of the books lose relevance after one read.

Originally written by htomar....... "hard copy aise hai jaise ki girl friend ko kisi khoobsuart si natural jagah par le jaana aur saamne baithkar use dekhna ,bate karna.e book to kisi disco le jaana ya fir phone par baate karke hi rah jaane jaisi hui. dono mai kitna difference hai??"
    Harender, the ambience in a discotheque is not too bad either for love makers. Instead, it is neither safe nor enjoyable to take the girlfriend to any “khoobsoorat natural jagah” like Delhi’s Budh Jayanti Park or Nehru Park. Either, the security guards or policemen will blackmail you or the onlookers or passersby would spoil the day.
    Last edited by singhvp; May 5th, 2011 at 08:12 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to singhvp For This Useful Post:

To be clear, I see special differences between an e-book reader like kindle and other ways to read e books like on computer, laptop, Ipad, Iphone, etc. I can't read e-books on computer, laptop, Ipad, Iphone, etc. But Kindle is totally different. It was made to mimic a book. To the extent that the screen doesn't have any light like iphones or laptops. Like a book, it reflects the light that falls on it (e-ink technology). The size is that of a paperback, but lighter than it. Not here to sell the thing.., but anyone can google to see what an amazing thing it is.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kapdal For This Useful Post:

deependra (May 5th, 2011), singhvp (May 5th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by vpsingh View Post
    It is, though, a matter of individual choice which varies from person to person, I see certain minus points of hard copies of books vis-a-vis e-copies, which are given below:

1.Sometimes a kind of nauseating stench emanates from the very old books which might cause a nasal allergy to some people.
    2.Being more voluminous, hard books occupy more space
    3.More care and material needed to preserve them
    4.Not very easy to carry in travel, in comparison to their new incarnation
    5.Transfer/sharing of hard books is more difficult than e-books
    6.Accessibility is more difficult. One has to either go to some library/shop or wait for the book-post delivery whereas e-books can be had by online payment (perhaps).

It is, however, good to keep/preserve hard copies, if one can, as a standby arrangement to
    guard against any potential computer/network failure or cyber war. In fact, some of the books lose relevance after one read.

Harender, the ambience in a discotheque is not too bad either for love makers. Instead, it is neither safe nor enjoyable to take the girlfriend to any “khoobsoorat natural jagah” like Delhi’s Budh Jayanti Park or Nehru Park. Either, the security guards or policemen will blackmail you or the onlookers or passersby would spoil the day.
    I fully second with you VP Singh ji on the advantages of eBooks over paperback edition. As per my personal opinion, no matter how advanced e-book readers get, they simply can't match the experience of reading a paperback . I absolutely love the smell of new books, it doubles the joy of reading. Contrary to modern viewpoint, my personal experience tells me to avoid reading too much on the electronic screen.
    e-Books may be your new friend, but surely can not displace the good old paper-back which has been and always reamain your best friend! You may label me as outdated, but for me, paper-backs win hands down on any given day! The bottom line of all the debate is: Whaever be your choice or medium, enjoy reading!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to deependra For This Useful Post:

singhvp (May 5th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by kapdal View Post
    To be clear, I see special differences between an e-book reader like kindle and other ways to read e books like on computer, laptop, Ipad, Iphone, etc. I can't read e-books on computer, laptop, Ipad, Iphone, etc. But Kindle is totally different. It was made to mimic a book. To the extent that the screen doesn't have any light like iphones or laptops. Like a book, it reflects the light that falls on it (e-ink technology). The size is that of a paperback, but lighter than it. Not here to sell the thing.., but anyone can google to see what an amazing thing it is.
    Agree with you Kapil, I happened to order it for one of my friends. As soon as I received it I opened it and try to read on it. I liked it because it doesn't stress your eyes and you can read for long hours without making your eyes tired due to e-ink technology. Ipad was perceived to be a big threat to Kindle but it was not able to match the quality of reading which Kindle provides to the readers.

Aaajkal to discotheque jaye bina girl friend hi naa milti vp singh ji...
    Budha and nehru park gya to nahi par suna hai waha ka.only delhi ki baat nahi hai.aur bhi achi jagah hai. delhi se bahar jaa sakte hai.

Quote Originally Posted by vpsingh View Post

17. The Following User Says Thank You to htomar For This Useful Post:

singhvp (May 5th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by deependra View Post

Dear Deependra,

Thankyou for writing on an interesting topic i.e., technology and printed material. I think ebooks have given an easy option to readers. Like any other on line material, searching through books has thus become easier, to say the least.

Regards,

Urmila.
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.