Thread: STOP attack on Jat Society by media and vested interests - suggestions please

STOP attack on Jat Society by media and vested interests - suggestions please

It has been quite clear that the Jat community has been under attack by media and vested interest since a few decades.

The Jats have been disorganized and have not had any coherent response.

An instance is the attack on Jat Khaps.

Khap Panchayats are voluntary grassroot organizations, with no legal standing, no organization, no offices, no bank accounts.

The Khaps( and therefore) the Jats cannot defend themselves.

This is a community problem.

The community needs to be able to defend itself from these media attacks.

One prominent Youth Jat leader articulated it thus.

“ A lot of the problem is caused by people for the community and the Khaps, who appoint themselves as spokesmen.

They are not media savvy and do not know how to handle media, and get caught in media traps, in talk shows .

They come across as rustic, and uncouth.

His suggestion was that in each district, there was the need to create a legal cell.

There are plenty of Jat lawyers, in each district, and a group should be formed, who should answer media questions. “

I will add to the that:

An infrastructure should be created.

The Community Jat lawyers, should interact with media and present the Jat view. Jat journalists and other media savvy people should do the talking.

Where media makes a tamasha and issue improper and community damaging comments/write ups, legal action should be taken against the journalist who does so.

This should take the form of

1) Legal action against the instigators

2) FIR’s- criminal cases against these persons for damaging the community .

One immediate case I have in mind is the Asara case, where two local Journalists, fabricated the incident of the Village Panchayat allegedly banning mobiles, jeans etc.

The other cases are in daily media, where Jats and the community organizations are described as Talibani, barbaric etc .

Suggestions please.

Any volunteers?

Ravi Chaudhary

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ravichaudhary For This Useful Post:

deependra (March 9th, 2013), op1955 (March 4th, 2013), sivach (March 5th, 2013), skharb (March 4th, 2013)

Judging by the lack of interest, and lack of coordination, we should expect the supreme court to rule againsthe community on March 7, 2013.

We may as start planning the day after.

Ravi Chaudhary

It would be highly unfortunate that the timeless and age old khaps would/might be banned (outlawed) by the Supreme Court. The media and the other so called intelligentsia was looking to a put a face to the social evils prevailing in the society and unfortunately the face they have chosen, though incorrectly is that of the khaps.

I happened to see the ad. of a cookery show/competition on television the other day. A woman seemingly local (Haryanvi) speaking in Hindi tinged with Haryanvi was boasting that women in her society are kept below the elbow and that she has managed to come out of that scenario and others would follow suit. This was a very rustic and unintelligent way of putting a reality in the national media. She could have said that despite societal challenges/limitations she has managed to achieve what she has. Alas!!!!

Hence, to a large extent the awakening needs to happen within the society as well. With people like the above mentioned lady and journalists like Siwach, the battle to redeem our honour has to start from within.

And mind you, it is not just the media, people in Delhi/NCR shrink their noses at the very mention of the word Jat and for them every Haryanvi speaking person is a Jat. So, it needs to be a multi-pronged strategy. There can be many ways of dealing with this problem including the ones suggested by you, though I am not sure to what extent we can pursue the suggestion of filing of FIRs.

I am glad that you have initiated this conversation which would help in brainstorming on this topic which deserves the immediate attention of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by ravichaudhary View Post
    Judging by the lack of interest, and lack of coordination, we should expect the supreme court to rule againsthe community on March 7, 2013.

Ravi Chaudhary

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbhikRana For This Useful Post:

anilphogat (March 4th, 2013), op1955 (March 4th, 2013), skharb (March 4th, 2013), vikda (March 5th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by ravichaudhary View Post

Ravi Chaudhary
    Sir,

The Supreme Court case will be won or lost only on the basis of arguments that Khaps make. One would hope that they are wise in the arguments they choose. Coordination between Khaps would have been great, but it never happened. Based on my personal experience on this issue, I'd say that there is only very little anyone can control when so many different interests are involved, not all of them without personal motives. The submission I prepared had arguments that I think are helpful to Khaps' case, and I find some arguments in some other submissions as quite harmful to the case. But this is my personal opinion - even if I am sure that I am right, how do I control anyone else's arguments? So, this thing has a life of its own and we shall see where it goes.

One can discuss the several things you suggest, but not many of them will make a difference to this particular case as they will take time. If the case persists after March 7, in my opinion, Khaps would do themselves a favor by coming together and choosing one very good & reputed advocate - rather than everyone trying to get an advocate for their own little case. Too many strands of reasoning by too many people take the focus away from core arguments. A reputed advocate will need money and it'd make sense for Khaps to collect money on the ground to show that they actually represent people. If you have 50k people making even 100 Rs contribution, you get 50 lakhs. And many Jats are more than capable of making a bigger contribution.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kapdal For This Useful Post:

anilphogat (March 5th, 2013), Arvindc (March 5th, 2013), sivach (March 7th, 2013), vikda (March 5th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kapdal View Post
    Sir,

The Supreme Court case will be won or lost only on the basis of arguments that Khaps make. One would hope that they are wise in the arguments they choose. Coordination between Khaps would have been great, but it never happened. Based on my personal experience on this issue, I'd say that there is only very little anyone can control when so many different interests are involved, not all of them without personal motives. The submission I prepared had arguments that I think are helpful to Khaps' case, and I find some arguments in some other submissions as quite harmful to the case. But this is my personal opinion - even if I am sure that I am right, how do I control anyone else's arguments? So, this thing has a life of its own and we shall see where it goes.

One can discuss the several things you suggest, but not many of them will make a difference to this particular case as they will take time. If the case persists after March 7, in my opinion, Khaps would do themselves a favor by coming together and choosing one very good & reputed advocate - rather than everyone trying to get an advocate for their own little case. Too many strands of reasoning by too many people take the focus away from core arguments. A reputed advocate will need money and it'd make sense for Khaps to collect money on the ground to show that they actually represent people. If you have 50k people making even 100 Rs contribution, you get 50 lakhs. And many Jats are more than capable of making a bigger contribution.
    Yes I agree. The biggest challange is how to organise Khaps. Thats the most important point and prerequisite of other initiatives!

I agree.

Perhaps this incident will motivate us to unite and coordinate to create some infrastructure.

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by kapdal View Post
    Sir,

This is an on going battle.

Either way, our society badly needs a structure that can handle such matters.

Amateur efforts will not work.

we need a structure.

Who will handle?

Must be somelone located in India.

I will contribute funds- kick start with Rs 50,000.00

Warm Regards

Ravi Chaudhary

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ravichaudhary For This Useful Post:

anilphogat (March 5th, 2013), deependra (March 9th, 2013), kapdal (March 6th, 2013), sivach (March 7th, 2013), sukhbirhooda (March 7th, 2013), vicky84 (March 8th, 2013)

Jatland of Haryana: Republic of Rapists

http://www.countercurrents.org/teltumbde031112.htm

Blanket statements made by educated but misguided and irrational pseudo-intellectuals.

Quote Originally Posted by AbhikRana View Post
    Jatland of Haryana: Republic of Rapists

http://www.countercurrents.org/teltumbde031112.htm

Blanket statements made by educated but misguided and irrational pseudo-intellectuals.

Abhik

Please put your post on the media thread.

On this thread we need suggestions of how to stop the Attacks by Media, and actions taken by members

Warm Regards

Ravi Chaudhary

Before I say anything , you all are free to ignore my views as I m real zero when it comes to khap n all .
    However , just some thought .

We have many Khaps , Jat societies across many cities or states . Instead of forming a new group how about connecting with Heads of all those Khaps and Jat societies .No matter how different priorities these groups have ----they all know we are victims of some clueless media , baseless accusations , some attention seeker NGOs , amateur remarks . I m sure somewhere down the line they all wanna come out this reputation clean .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

phoolkumar (March 9th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by rekhasmriti View Post
    Before I say anything , you all are free to ignore my views as I m real zero when it comes to khap n all .
    However , just some thought .

We have many Khaps , Jat societies across many cities or states . Instead of forming a new group how about connecting with Heads of all those Khaps and Jat societies .No matter how different priorities these groups have ----they all know we are victims of some clueless media , baseless accusations , some attention seeker NGOs , amateur remarks . I m sure somewhere down the line they all wanna come out this reputation clean .

You are not alone.

Most people are clueless about Khaps.

They were practically unknown until a few years ago.

They have no legal power. No ability to make, pass or enforce any law.( They used to about 150 years ago, but that stoppd after 1857)

They have no estabished leaders. Leaders are appointed in an ad-hoc manner, to deal with ,current perceived needs.

These ' ad hoc' appointed leaders, are also clueless, and often make statements that get them into trouble , with the sensation seeking media.

The attacks on the Khaps are actually an attack on the Jat community, and other rural communities.

To make yourself aware of them , their history, is a worthy objective. There is some material on this website. browse the history and wiki section.

Since the community is so disorganized, and not media savvy, it has become a whipping dog for media.

It is an easy target.

If we do nothing, the Supreme Court will pass soon, perhaps as soon as the next hearing, orders against these Khaps and the Jats. The Supreme Court already has a petition, a Law Commission Report, and an Amicus Curiae,( friend of the Court) have provided Reports, that are quite anti the community.

Warm regards

Ravi Chaudhary
    Last edited by ravichaudhary; March 10th, 2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: m

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ravichaudhary For This Useful Post:

rekhasmriti (March 9th, 2013)