Thread: Murder of IITian

Murder of IITian

Dear Members,

You must have read the news about the murder of IIT K graduate Satyendra Dubey.

http://www.indiacause.com/Cause/C25_SDubey.htm

Please sign the online petition to PM at the link below, if you feel so.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sdubey/petition.html

Thanks
    Anuj
    _(~)_

Dear Members,

19000 people already signed. I request please do it for good. You may read other peoples notes as well.

Your 1 minute may help some one get justice and motivate future heros, who want to fight the evil in our society - corruption, with what ever they have got.
    Thanks
    Anuj

keep it up...anuj...

we will fight together n ll win ....definitely.........

Its...
    Hemant...
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up"

Whistleblower said don’t name me. Govt did. He was shot dead

31-year-old IIT grad working on PM’s showpiece highway complained of corruption, contractor mafia

AMITAV RANJAN

NEW DELHI,NOVEMBER 29: The next time a promising young engineer sees corruption and mismanagement in a Government project he’s working on, chances are he will think twice, thrice, several times, before complaining to the political and bureaucratic establishment.

For, 31-year-old Satyendra Kumar Dubey did that, he sent his letter to the Prime Minister’s Office—and now he’s dead, killed by ‘‘unidentified assailants’’ in Gaya, Bihar last week.

There was a law on paper
    to protect him
    •Dubey’s request for secrecy would have had legal protection had the Govt enacted a Whistle Blower Act recommended by the Constitution Review Commission in 2002. This would have ensured that Dubey was ‘‘protected against retribution and any discrimination for reporting what he perceived as wrong-doing.’’ A designated authority would have probed without betraying his identity. It would also have been bound to protect Dubey.

All that the Govt says now:
    ‘We can’t recall this’
    When contacted by The Sunday Express:
    • Bihar DGP D P Ojha: ‘‘The criminalisation of contractors is an unfortunate but true fact...Most of the contracts go to the mafia. I am shocked to hear how an honest man died. I will take personal interest and ensure that we book the culprits.’’

• Dubey’s Boss Union Minister B C Khanduri: ‘‘I’m not aware of the letter.’’ When told that Dubey’s letter shows his initials, he said: ‘‘I can’t recall it. The NHAI chairman has been asked to compile all letters.’’ Asked why Dubey’s request for secrecy was ignored, Khanduri said: ‘‘It’s neither possible nor appropriate for me to comment. I have talked to his brother and the Bihar Chief Minister.’’

• PMO spokesman: ‘‘Numerous letters come in everyday and it is very difficult to trace each and every letter. If you have a copy and send it to me, I can then find out.’’

Dubey, a 1994 civil engineering graduate from IIT Kanpur, was Deputy General Manager in the Centre’s National Highway Authority of India working on the 60-km Aurangabad-Barachatti segment of the Golden Quadrilateral in Bihar with headquarters in Koderma, Jharkhand.

On November 11, 2002, the Prime Minister’s Office received his letter addressed to the Prime Minister himself. In the letter, a copy of which is with The Sunday Express, Dubey called the PM’s highway showpiece ‘‘a dream project of unparalleled importance to the nation.’’

And then highlighted several instances of what he called ‘‘loot of public money’’ and ‘‘poor implementation.’’

Dubey requested his name be kept secret but at the same time, he let his identity known. He had reason to.

‘‘Since such letters from a common man,’’ Dubey wrote, ‘‘are not usually treated with due seriousness, I wish to clarify... that this letter is being written after careful thought by a very concerned citizen who is also very closely linked with the project. I request you to kindly go through my brief particulars (attached to a separate sheet to ensure secrecy) before proceeding further.’’

Just the opposite happened.

Dubey’s letter is riddled with signatures and scribbles of officials indicating it was a classic case of a file going into babudom’s endless orbit.

• In 10 days, the PMO fowarded Dubey’s complaint to his parent Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. (MoRTH). Dubey’s request for anonymity was apparently ignored by the PMO.

•Along with the attachment, his letter was sent to the MoRTH. Eight Ministry officials went through the letter.

• And on December 4, 2002, Dubey’s letter was sent to the National Highway Authority of India with a copy to NHAI’s Chief Vigilance Officer. And a covering letter from an official: ‘‘I am directed to forward herewith an unsigned letter on the above subject (National Highways Development Project complaint regarding loot of public money) for such action as deemed fit.’’

• On November 27, Dubey was shot dead in Gaya when he was returning from Varanasi. According to the FIR filed at the Rampur police station in Gaya by Dubey’s brother, the people whose corruption he exposed were behind the murder. The FIR does not name anyone. No arrests have been made so far.

Gaya Superintendent of Police Sanjay Singh, a friend of Dubey’s from his IIT Kanpur days, said he will ‘‘leave no stone unturned to track down the killers.’’

Dubey’s key complaints, according to the letter he wrote:

• Detail Project Reports (DPR) by design consultants are in ‘‘very poor shape and cannot be implemented in the field without major modifications...The result is that the DPRs on the basis of which tenders have been called are like garbage.’’

• Process of procurement ‘‘completely manipulated and hijacked’’ by the big contractors. Many contractors are ‘‘submitting forged documents to justify their technical and financial capabilities.’’

• The ‘‘big contractors have been able to get all sorts of help from the officials in NHAI and even the note sheets carrying approval of Chairman have been leaked outside.’’

• NHAI officials have shown great hurry in giving ‘‘mobilisation advance to selected contractors... No surprise as the commission to officials for award of work are linked to the contractors getting their first mobilisation advance.’’

• The entire mobilisation advance of 10% of contract value (which goes up to Rs 40 crore in certain cases) has been paid to the contractors ‘‘within a few weeks of award of work’’ without follow-up to ensure they are ‘‘actually mobilised at site with the same pace.’’

• ‘‘Diversion or idling of funds... in case of equipment advances to the contractors, another 10 per cent of the contract value.’’

• NHAI is going for international competitive bidding to procure the most competent civil contractor for execution of its projects. When it comes to the actual execution, it is found that most of the works (sometimes even upto 100 per cent) are being sublet or sub-contracted to small petty contractors who are not at all capable to execute such projects and ensure the quality of construction.’’
    _(~)_

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Dear Anuj:

I have signed the petition; justice however, is a relative and subjective term. It seems Satyendra Dubey was a self-respecting and just-loving Indian who paid the ultimate price for truth with his life.

Corruption is not limited just to India, but at least in the US the media magnifies the news tenfold applauding the whistle blowers, therefore the likes of Enron CEOs get a massive dose of public scrutiny and loathing. In a way that’s as close as it gets to justice in the court of public opinion. Let us hope that the petition will send a strong message to the elected Indian officials and serve as emotional justice for the Dubey family….

Sujata

Dear Anuj,
    I have signed it.
    Col (Retd) Virendra Tavathia

"A person should not be judged by the nature of his/her job, but the manner in which he/she does that".

Dear Members,

Thanks to all, who signed the petition.

Because of the Indain Express and other organizations efferts to gather media attention, 3 things happend, as you have read

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/regionalnews/story/2003/12/031210_satyendradube.shtml

Human right commission (NHRC) asked Bihar DIG for a report on this case and NHIA summoned to tell what measure they took for Dubeys's complains. PM earlier issued a CBI probe.

Here is link to SK Dubey Foundation set up by some good people. Read the biography of Mr. Dubey, you would surely be amazed. They are trying to set up a fund to help his family and put a fight against corruption in indian, through spreading awareness.

http://www.skdubeyfoundation.org/index.html

Thanks
    Anuj