Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dara Singh - Is He a Jat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Dara Singh - Is He a Jat?

Dara Singh, the president of the Jat Sabha - is he a Jat or a Sikh. Why do we have a Sikh as the president. Couldn't we find someone else.

Dear Satbir,

Whatever little I know of religion, a Sikh is one who is supposed to have six 'K's like Kesh, kada, karpan, kanghee, kachaa,...one more i forget..Dara Singh does not have any of these. Moreover, if Mr Dara Singh accepts himself as Jat, what makes you think that he is not Jat ? Just his father being a Sikh look alike does not bestwo the sikh religion on Mr Dara ingh. Many people in his father's genration used to keep beard and turbon..Leave aside anything, its the personal belief what matters the most. Dara Singh is 100% jat and so is Dharmendra..and any woman married to a Jat is also 100% jat...

Rajendra

Login to view details.
    Dara Singh is purely a JATT SIKH....

5 "Kakkes" as defined in Holy Guru Granthh sahib.....Kesh. kada.kangha,kachha and kirpan... ( Nanak naan chadhey kalaan .. tere dware sarbar da bhalla)

I will really appreciate if he would ( had) helped Hindu JATS........

Baki poiltics..OR teekh tekh laga liyo :-)

Login to view details.
    Dear Rajendra ji,

Forgive me if I'm wrong but anyone who keeps the five 'k's you've mentioned is a Khalsa. The Khalsa are a purified form of the Sikhs and the most militant of them. So, your assertion that since Dara Singh does not sport any of these, he automatically becomes a Hindu Jat, is, well, not true at all. Going by your logic, the present generation of Jat Sikhs (most of whom are clean shaven) should all be Hindu Jats. This assumption, I'm afraid, is ludicrous. They still go to Gurudwaras and most of them have not even seen the inside of a mandir. They still marry into Jat Sikhs only. I fail to understand as to how we can call them Hindu Jats by any stretch of imagination. Since I'm a Grewal Jat and there are a large number of Grewal Jats among the Sikhs as well, I've interacted very closely with them. You'll be surprised to know that most of them look down upon the Hindu religion and being called a Hindu is almost derogatory in a Jat village in Punjab. So, assuming that Dara Singh and Dharmendra have renounced their religion is self-delusional. They became clean shaven only because their profession demanded it i.e. wrestling and acting. In any case, any Jat who gives up his religion as easily as you think, is not a Jat at all, whether Sikh or Hindu. So the question remains that couldn't we find someone from Haryana as president of the Jat Mahasabha.

Regards.

Satbir

Why is finding someone from Haryana, so important ?

Is Haryana the homeland for all Jats?. It was only creaated in 1968, and until then was part of Punjab.

Many jats adopted Sikhism, as you may know.

If the jat becomes a sikh, does that stop him /her from being a Jat ?

I would think not

ravi

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ravichaudhary For This Useful Post:

anilphogat (July 12th, 2012), sukhbirhooda (July 15th, 2012), vijaykajla1 (March 12th, 2012)

Satvir Ji,
    First of all, Jats are Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims
    Let me give some background of Dara Singh Ji.
    In 1980 (approx) Jat Samaj was started in Mumbai. Founding members where very smart people. We have cream of the community in Mumbai, successful in business, services in civil and armed forces.
    They said we do not mind working, but we need Leaders and the Money to run the samaj.
    One of founding members I know is Dr (Col) Prem Singh. They did not have people of high profile from their own stock in Mumbai. Dharmendra's family is Arya samaji. His mother helped to build the samaj. They started a annual cultural programme "Sitaron Ki Sham presented by Jat Samaj". Because of Dara Singh ji and Dharam Ji, we started getting free top Heros and Heroins for our programme. We bought office for Jat Samaj in Santa Criz. Haryana Samaj which existed for 100 years did not have their own ofiice till I left India in 1988.
    Also initially we used to call politicians as chief guest for our cultural programmes, but we found them useless because they always tried to divide the samaj members on party lines. Also in the dancing and singing programme no body was intested to see faces of politicians, because people who bought tickets where 95% non jats, the biggest hall of Mumbai used be house full.
    Another smart thing done by us (I was one of them), we declared Dara singh Ji as life long president. Because of him we where alloted land in New Mumbai also.
    Then people from Rajesthan and Haryana also started calling Dara singh and Dharmendra to their area for reservation for jats. Finally Dara Singh was made president of All India Jat Mahasabha. Dara Singh Ji was made member of Rajya Sabha. Dharmendra became a Lok Sabha from Bikaner.
    Punjabi samaj in Mumbai did not take help of these great people because they have so many successful people from Punjab. They can get thousands of Dara Singh, we had none.
    We starting calling top business people as chief guest from Mumbai itself like film industry.
    They never created problems for the samj.
    Let me tell u successful people are like big trees (they will give sheetal chaya), they do not belong one caste (they belong to all casts). they will help those who need help from them.
    Because of these great souls, we do not have election problems. Now tell me what is harm
    Regards

-------------------------------------------
    Satbir Grewal (Sep 26, 2004 04:35 a.m.):
    Dara Singh, the president of the Jat Sabha - is he a Jat or a Sikh. Why do we have a Sikh as the president. Couldn't we find someone else.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ishwarlamba For This Useful Post:

anilphogat (July 12th, 2012), deependra (July 12th, 2012), sukhbirhooda (July 15th, 2012), vijaykajla1 (March 12th, 2012)

Dara Singh - Jat

Hi Ishwar Bhaisahab,
    "Es Baar to aapne sare point le liye !!
    Thats a very kind thing to say about my Dad,
    Col.(Dr.) Prem Singh Chaudhary (Retd.) Atleast someone remembers his good efforts.
    Three cheers !!

Quote Originally Posted by ishwar_lamba
    Satvir Ji,
    First of all, Jats are Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims
    Let me give some background of Dara Singh Ji.
    In 1980 (approx) Jat Samaj was started in Mumbai. Founding members where very smart people. We have cream of the community in Mumbai, successful in business, services in civil and armed forces.
    They said we do not mind working, but we need Leaders and the Money to run the samaj.
    One of founding members I know is Dr (Col) Prem Singh. They did not have people of high profile from their own stock in Mumbai. Dharmendra's family is Arya samaji. His mother helped to build the samaj. They started a annual cultural programme "Sitaron Ki Sham presented by Jat Samaj". .
    Because of these great souls, we do not have election problems. Now tell me what is harm
    Regards

-------------------------------------------
    Last edited by junnu; October 25th, 2004 at 08:03 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to junnu For This Useful Post:

vijaykajla1 (March 12th, 2012)

Junnu Jiji,
    I am very happy to contact you after so many years. Last month Praveen contacted me. I am happy to know you are settled in USA. Long back Late Capt Bhagwan Singh (IAS) told about you.
    Your mother and father are really great, I am very proud of them.
    Write on my email ishwar_lamba@hotmail.com, your Kanta aunty will be very happy.
    Sukhi Raho behenji
    regards
    Ishwar Lamba

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by junnu
    Hi Ishwar Bhaisahab,
    "Es Baar to aapne sare point le liye !!
    Thats a very kind thing to say about my Dad,
    Col.(Dr.) Prem Singh Chaudhary (Retd.) Atleast someone remembers his good efforts.
    Three cheers !!
    Understand = Under + Stand

Login to view details.

Angry

heloo to all ma peeps in here !! new here ...been followin 2 websites lately jatland and jattworld get a lotta laugh readin stuff on both sites but neways a lil bout ma self im a hindu jat but as mr birk put it jat first and religion second , there are soo many fags that i come across on the web that keep puting the jat name down mostly banias and bahmans and also some non sikh jats that wanto show how sikhism has helped the jat kaum lol ..wake up pepl its not ur religion not ur country not ur boli that matters but the fact that ur a jat ...juss cause ima hindu don mean **** to these bahmans ...sikhs were the people who fought the moghuls for these folks and what they get '84.. so id suggest pepl get out of the whole being religious issue kno who ur own bloood is ...the armed forces of both the countries india and pakistan is dominated by jats and they die day in n day out for what ...jats in panjab n haryana are fighting over the cannal when there r floods in the east like wtf..
    time to forget the difrences and do somethin worthwhile if jats can settle their difeerences thy can shke south asia juss like their invading ancestors did !!!!

Login to view details.
    welcome to the forum satyendar bhai im new here too. ur exactl;y right its jats that are used in wars. But i still feel its a great injustice that jaats of haryana are not recorded in sikh history as gallant men who fought with sikh jatts in banda jis time and purposely divided from sikh jatts by the book writers. i have zero respect for neo khalistanis, their mentality wreaks of hating hindus.

Jatt identity is played down again and again but in reality be in panjab or hariana jats have a distinct way of life, we need unity and one platform in the face of the banias and brahmins.

i dont trust politicians at all, i think if the matter was left between jats of both sides on the water issue they could resolve it, the politicians puropsely keep us divided engineering hate just like the khalistanis. JATTNESS ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

Login to view details.
    Ishwar ji and Ravi ji,

Yo baat aapne pate ki kee se. Jats are Jats. Religion does not change blood. Point taken but I'd like to clarify something here. I am related to Dharmendra, although distantly and I can tell you for a fact that his family is not arya samaji but very much Sikh. His father, Kewal Krishan Deol, was under the influence of arya samaj but Dharmendra reverted
    back to Sikhism and even Bobby's marriage was conducted according to Sikh rites. His daughters are married to Jat Sikhs and in fact Bobby's marriage was at one point due with a Grewal Jat Sikh girl from England but Bobby declined because he didn't know the girl. He later went in for a love marriage as we all know. Dharmendra's ancestral village is near Sahnewal (distt Ludhiana) and he visits it very often. In fact he was earlier going to contest Lok Sabha elections from Patiala but that did not materialise since he had a very strong adversary, Maharani Parneet Kaur, Maharaja Amarinder Singh Sidhu's wife standing in his way. So, he then thought better of it and went to Rajasthan and wisely so because he won from Bikaner. As far as Dara Singh is concerned, he is a Jat Sikh form the Randhawa clan and a very devout Sikh by all accounts.

Regards.

Satbir

So what is the big deal whether anyone is a sikh( follows the Guru's panth) or an arya samaji ( follows the Vedic dharam)?

Anyone looking at the principles involved, can tell, that the same egalitarian priniciples are being followed- moksha is the objective, the concepts of atma, karma are recognized, idol worship is not reccomended etc

Frankly I do not see waht the big deal is, beyond some people insisting on creating a defining boundary.

A person is who he/she thinks he/she is.

If you think you are a Jat , you are one, If you do not , you are not one.

I prefer to look for common and unifying factors rather than divisive ones.

Ravi

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ravichaudhary For This Useful Post:

sukhbirhooda (July 15th, 2012), vijaykajla1 (March 12th, 2012)

I fully agree with Ravi in his last post and add further points;

1. Going to Gurudwara does not make one sikh as lots of Hindus visit Gurudwaras regularly.

2. If I agree with Satbir for a moment that the nature of profession demaned shaving the head and beared, now when Dharmendra does not act and Dara Singh does not wrestle, both could have gone back to their sikh appearances.

3. Fact of the matter is that Jats have never been strictly religious and folllowed whatever fancied them..Had Dara Singh been a strict Sikh, he would have politely declined the honor of being President of Jata Mahasabha or any Jat organisation..

Rajendra

One could even suggest, that if he was a strict Sikh, and followed the Guru's Panth, and principles( not just appearances) he would have no problem, indeed would have welcomed, being part of the Jat Sabha.

The problem becomes, that to create a social group, one first creates boundaries, the boundaries come first not later. Physical appearances, customs,etc are part of the defining acts(rules) of these boundaries.

Gradually a separate group get created and develops its own identity.

To overcome these self created boundaries, takes some awareness and effort.

The Jat Sabha that Mr Lamba refers to is one such creation, a common identity overcoming differences of perception.

In that Sabha, each person is free to follow his spiritual beliefs( another time honoured Jat concept).

Thus Dara Singh was a true Jat, and became head of a Jat organization.

I have a unifying bent of mind, and unashamedly will push that view

Best regards

ravi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ravichaudhary For This Useful Post:

vijaykajla1 (March 12th, 2012)

Login to view details.
    Ram Ram.

Satbir,

Why do you care so much about Dara Singh?
    OK - fine he might be of Jat Sikh origins, but he is with the BJP. That implies that he is hindutva-slanted and cares about hindus above silly ideas (e.g., pseudo "secularism").

Here: read this link from two or so weeks ago:
    http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040913/haryana.htm#15

Dara Singh seeks job quota for Jats
    Our Correspondent

Ambala, September 12
    Renowned wrestler, member of Rajya Sabha and a campaigner of the BJP Dara Singh while praising Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said he was not a dummy Prime Minister.

Dara Singh was in Ambala to address a conference of the Haryana unit of the All-India Jat Maha Sabha. He is also holding the post of president of the maha sabha.

Talking to mediapersons here today he said Manmohan Singh was an intelligent leader but due to the pressure of coalition partners he was not able to implement his policies properly.

In reply to a question he said tainted MPs should not be inducted in the Cabinet and political parties should come forward to oppose this practice. He justified the protest of BJP in and outside Parliament in this regard. Defending the BJP leaders Lal Krishan Advani and Uma Bharti he said they were not the tainted leaders as the cases registered against them were of political nature whereas the tainted ministers of Congress were involved in criminal cases.

Referring to the poor performance of Indian players in Athens he said the players had not been getting proper facilities and undue interference by politicians and bureaucrats in the selection of the players should be stopped.

Briefing about the activities of Jat Maha Sabha he said Jats should be included in OBC list and should be given reservation in jobs.

He said personally he favoured reservation in jobs but was of the view that promotions should be made on the basis of merit.

Login to view details.
    Ravi ji,

I couldn't agree with you more. We shouldn't be hunting for divisive issues. We can only hope that one day everybody's going to think along the same lines. This is a mature and wise approach to the whole issue.

Having said that, what amuses me most is rajendra's illogical and self-consoling optimism about what he so fervently believes and wants others to do likewise.

Oh yeah, rajendra ji, so you believe that Dara Singh and Dharmendra Deol are not Jat Sikhs but Sikhs who have renounced their own faith and fallen into the Hindu fold. Well, keep deluding yourself if it makes you feel any better. I've personally seen some of the most anti-Hindu, rabid Jat Sikhs who are absolutely clean shaven. Please go to some village in Punjab and you'll come to know exactly what I'm trying to say. Try telling them that they're Hindu and well....the less said the better.

The most hilarious part of your post is the weird assumption that just because Dara Singh accepted the presidentship of the Jat Mahasabha, that immediately makes him a Hindu Jat. I've never encountered a more simplistic form of conclusive analysis. Have a heart, rajendra ji, don't snatch peoples' faith away just because it suits your point of view. How would it feel if somebody called you a musalman.

As far as your contention goes that Jats have never followed any faith religiously, you'll have to pick up your history books and study Sikh militancy. It was almost entirely fuelled by Jat Sikhs. If you really want to put your theory to test, try and meet some of the fanatic Jat musalmans of Pakistani Punjab who cross over into India on behalf of the Let or the JeM. Good hunting and Good luck.

Regards.

Satbir

What you are refering to is lack of knowledge and awareness.

In some areas, yes, the term Hindu is denigrated and becomes a perjorative termterms

That in itself is one of the factors I refer to ,when I talk of social groups being formed, and defining boundraies being created.

Soon members of the group lose awareness and knowledge of Hinduism, or the Arya Samaj, - they only become terms to be used to abuse someone.

Tragic is it not ?

All this is telling you, on a broader level, is that a separate group is being/has been created.

So people like yourself, or me or Rajendra,( and I agree with him here) have two choices,

1) do we work to dispel the ignorance and darkness ( in these villages and elsewhere , you talk about)?

or

2) do we accept the diviseness born out of ignorance and propogate ignorance. ?

You decide.

Login to view details.
    Ravi,

You're spot on. Dara Singh's or Dharmendra's professing the Sikh faith does not make either of them less of a Jat. It's good that they're doing something for the Jat community. If they go to a Gurudwara to observe their faith, it should be none of our concern. As long as they speak for Jats as well it is quite alright with us. At least we've found some able leaders who can voice our concerns even if we required two Jat Sikhs to do it and mind you, they have a lot of political clout. I just hope Navjot Sidhu will show the same fervour for his Jat community.

Regards.

Little drops do an ocean make

Satbir Grewal (Sep 27, 2004 10:03 a.m.):
    Ravi ji,

I couldn't agree with you more. We shouldn't be hunting for divisive issues. We can only hope that one day everybody's going to think along the same lines. This is a mature and wise approach to the whole issue.

Having said that, what amuses me most is rajendra's illogical and self-consoling optimism about what he so fervently believes and wants others to do likewise.

Oh yeah, rajendra ji, so you believe that Dara Singh and Dharmendra Deol are not Jat Sikhs but Sikhs who have renounced their own faith and fallen into the Hindu fold. Well, keep deluding yourself if it makes you feel any better. I've personally seen some of the most anti-Hindu, rabid Jat Sikhs who are absolutely clean shaven. Please go to some village in Punjab and you'll come to know exactly what I'm trying to say. Try telling them that they're Hindu and well....the less said the better.

The most hilarious part of your post is the weird assumption that just because Dara Singh accepted the presidentship of the Jat Mahasabha, that immediately makes him a Hindu Jat. I've never encountered a more simplistic form of conclusive analysis. Have a heart, rajendra ji, don't snatch peoples' faith away just because it suits your point of view. How would it feel if somebody called you a musalman.

As far as your contention goes that Jats have never followed any faith religiously, you'll have to pick up your history books and study Sikh militancy. It was almost entirely fuelled by Jat Sikhs. If you really want to put your theory to test, try and meet some of the fanatic Jat musalmans of Pakistani Punjab who cross over into India on behalf of the Let or the JeM. Good hunting and Good luck.

Regards.
    Dear Satbir,

Some of the Jat sikhs you are talking, might be anti Hindus in general, but ceratinly not anti jats like you are appearing to be anti Sikh jats for the resons best known to you..Like you know of Jat Sikhs, I too have lots of friends among them and I know them as well as you probbaly. Most Hindu Jats are also anti brahamnas and anti banias...therefore I am not convinced by your logics..To me all Jats are Jats.. Now coming to muslim Jats, I have met many of them and they still maintain a speacial place for us hindu jats in their heart..Fighting for Pakisan is another thing for them...Two are different issues as far I can understand..

Rajendra