Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Media: Potrayal of Jats as "dabbang"

  1. #1

    Media: Potrayal of Jats as "dabbang"

    Worthy members, As & when there is an involvement of Jats in a dispute with Lower casts....This electronic media starts sidind with the SC/ST group and takes an extreme position against our people. I have seen this happening for quite sometimes and it hurt me a lot. After all our people are not as barbaric as they are made out to be. Our contribution to this countary is significant but vested interests are hell bent upon painting us red. In the recent case at GOHANA...Tv channels were using a word "DABBANG" for jats while saying," DABBANGON NEI HARIJANO KE GHAR PHOONKE." I tried to interpret the meaning of this word but so far not got the exact meaning. Can somebody throw some light on this?

    What i made out of it was: Shararati mind, Shameless, Fearless,Mastmaula,Not bothered about others at all,Cruel, Uunchhi jati ke..........?????


    Isn't it a derogatory word,demeaning the group of people. Any legal comment please.
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

  2. #2
    Well, I dont even care what th mainstream media says. Thats why I dont even get most of my news from it anymore. I always advise the same to anyone who has similar issues with the media.

    BOYCOTT MAINSTREAM MEDIA

    In my opinion "dabbang" means kickass. hahahah We jats surely do kickass.

  3. #3

    If we do not respect ourselves nobody will respect us

    Quote Originally Posted by devdahiya
    Worthy members, As & when there is an involvement of Jats in a dispute with Lower casts....This electronic media starts sidind with the SC/ST group and takes an extreme position against our people. I have seen this happening for quite sometimes and it hurt me a lot. After all our people are not as barbaric as they are made out to be. Our contribution to this countary is significant but vested interests are hell bent upon painting us red. In the recent case at GOHANA...Tv channels were using a word "DABBANG" for jats while saying," DABBANGON NEI HARIJANO KE GHAR PHOONKE." I tried to interpret the meaning of this word but so far not got the exact meaning. Can somebody throw some light on this?

    What i made out of it was: Shararati mind, Shameless, Fearless,Mastmaula,Not bothered about others at all,Cruel, Uunchhi jati ke..........?????


    Isn't it a derogatory word,demeaning the group of people. Any legal comment please.

    in "What went wrong with Jats" thread many of us have said "there is nothing right with jats , everything is wrong"


    So, If we ourselves are convinced that there is hardly anything right with jats, then what to expect from media or others?

  4. #4

    Off The Track

    Quote Originally Posted by arunshamli
    in "What went wrong with Jats" thread many of us have said "there is nothing right with jats , everything is wrong"


    So, If we ourselves are convinced that there is hardly anything right with jats, then what to expect from media or others?


    My dear Arun, thanx for your post but what you brought out is not in relation to the post? I just wanted to know the correct meaning of the word and whether it should be used against a community in this manner or not. When we were discussing the topic "what went wrong with jats"...we wanted to deliberate the weak links surfaced over the course of time in our community and how to find solutions for those weaklings and not to condemn the community as such and i find no harm in doing that at all as it is an internal matter of the family.
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

  5. #5

    Neither Every thing is Wrong Nor every thing is right

    To me word "Dabang" means who tries to supress others. I have seen many of my Jat Friends resorting to it during my school days. Did not see much later as I was lucky to be in a disciplined organization, where rules mattered most as against whims and fancies. A "Dabang" person just wants to get his/her point across, and does not resort to logic. Actually he/she defies the logic and believes might is right.
    To be honest I did not follow the events of Gohana or for that matter of Gurgaon, but have seen myself that the anti social elements irrespective of their caste or creed do resort to activities which can be called "Dabang". You may see Gujars and Harijans doing the same thing in the areas they are in majority, same is the case with Brahamins and for that matter Rajputs. Dabang comes from the acts where theory of "Might is Right" is followed. In 1975 while imposing the emergency, Mrs. Gandhi acted like a "Dabang" person.

    I hope above explanation helps a little. This is my own perception of this word, and my differ from others.
    Col (Retd) Virendra Tavathia


    "A person should not be judged by the nature of his/her job, but the manner in which he/she does that".

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by devdahiya
    My dear Arun, thanx for your post but what you brought out is not in relation to the post? I just wanted to know the correct meaning of the word and whether it should be used against a community in this manner or not. When we were discussing the topic "what went wrong with jats"...we wanted to deliberate the weak links surfaced over the course of time in our community and how to find solutions for those weaklings and not to condemn the community as such and i find no harm in doing that at all as it is an internal matter of the family.

    I could find the following meanings for the word dabang

    1. influential
    2. fearless
    3. overbearing

  7. #7
    Hi Members

    Toh ke galat keh rahe hain Jaat toh Paida hote hee DAbang ho jata hai. Dont take it serious this is truth that Jats are really Dabang.

    Abhimanyu Phougat

  8. #8

    I don't find all jats Dabbang

    Quote Originally Posted by positivelook
    Hi Members

    Toh ke galat keh rahe hain Jaat toh Paida hote hee DAbang ho jata hai. Dont take it serious this is truth that Jats are really Dabang.

    Abhimanyu Phougat


    Bhai Abhimanyu sare jat te dabbang konya. jyadatar ka te gujara bhi theek se na hota. I know their condition very well. I don't think this word should be used for our community.
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

  9. #9

    not sure enough

    R we sure word dabang is always associated with the community??
    I guess its one related to oppressor as being in power/majority ..

  10. #10

    Dabang means...

    I think the closest word in the english language to Dabang is Audacious. I do not beleive this to be a derogatory word in the best sense of thee word but if it is being used negatively then ignorance is corrupting the meaning of the expression.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •