Thread: How to Stop Heartburn Pain

How to Stop Heartburn Pain

Stand Up: Let gravity drain away painful stomach acid that's backed up into the lower end of your esophagus.

Loosen Up: A tight waistband can push acid upward

Take Your Medicine: Experts recommend over-the-counter medications that combine an acid neutralizer with an H2-receptor antagonist (to reduce acid production).

Chew Gum: Saliva stimulated by chewing can be soothing

Dodge the triggers: Chocolate, coffee, alcohol, mints, tomatoes and citrus juice seem to turn up the heat

See a Doctor: If the pain occurs frequently for two weeks or more, you may have a chronic problem that could do serious damage if it is not treated.

Oh you meant physical pain. I came into the thread thinking the other kind hehe
    Do more, love more

Same here... hehehe !!
    Quote Originally Posted by sumeetmalik View Post
    Oh you meant physical pain. I came into the thread thinking the other kind hehe

Some common Anti Acid pills

In case of emergency for physical heart burn, some common pills which could be handy n suggested by doctors -
    1) Ocid QRS
    2) Gelucil MPS
    3) Aciloc
    4) Omez
    5) Omeprazole Gastro-Resistant Capsules 20Mg
    6) Gaviscon tonic is also helpful

One needs to take these pills for a week, one dose each day to get some relief. Otherwise one must see a doctor at the earliest if situation worsens!!

Not suitable for "other types of heart burn"
    Last edited by suniljakhar; November 8th, 2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: .
    Good health is heaven.

after reading this thread (although I was tricked into it hehe) I came across this article on BBC health that talks Heart burn surgery. Thought I would share it with you.

Surgery beneficial in heartburn

By Emma Wilkinson
    BBC News health reporter

Proton pump inhibitors are the standard treatment for reflux

People with persistent heartburn should be considered for early surgery to prevent a lifetime of popping pills, NHS research suggests.
    A year after keyhole surgery, only 14% of patients were still taking medication, compared with 90% of those treated with drugs alone.
    The £1m trial of 800 patients suggests surgery should be done more routinely in patients with chronic acid reflux.
    Experts said there was a view among GPs that surgery was "too extreme".
    Researchers at the University of Aberdeen co-ordinated the trial of laparoscopic fundoplication at 21 hospitals around the UK.

For some people, it is a serious problem which could potentially mean a lifetime of tablet taking

Professor Roger Jones, King's College London

The results so far suggest the procedure, although expensive at £2000 per patient, is cost-effective because reflux sufferers no longer have to take medication and their quality of life improves.
    But they are following the patients for five years to check the benefits are long-term.
    The operation involves wrapping a piece of the stomach around the oesophagus to create a new valve to prevent acid backing up from the stomach.
    It used to be done by opening up the chest cavity, but with the advent of keyhole surgery is now a lot safer.
    Common problem
    Reflux is a very common condition with 20% of the population experiencing it at some point in their lives.
    Those at the more severe end of the spectrum end up taking tablets for the rest of their lives - potentially for 20 to 30 years in younger patients - and few currently receive surgery.
    Study leader, Professor Adrian Grant, said: "It looks pretty promising.
    "I think these results will mean that surgeons will be suggesting the operation in those patients who are not quite so bad."
    He added: "Like all surgery, fundoplication has some risks, but the more troublesome the symptoms, the greater the potential benefit from the operation."
    Professor Roger Jones, head of general practice at King's College London and chair of the Primary Care Gastroenterology Society said surgery was often regarded as "too extreme" for something which is not a serious problem.
    "But for some people, it is a serious problem which could potentially mean a lifetime of tablet taking."
    Do more, love more

Quote Originally Posted by sunillathwal View Post
    misleading title.. :p
    Well, the title was not at all misleading. I believe in straight forward talks. For me, everything in life is not joke....

khada hokai apni chatti pai mukke maar, ar pher bhi theek na ho tai chaati peetna shru kar de:D
    My way or my way ?

Thumbs down You are right!!

Quote Originally Posted by sunillathwal View Post
    misleading title.. :p
    Heartburn is a Heartburn...not pain :D She needs attention.

Sometimes right food is all you need

Avoid sugar, spicy foods and fatty foods.
    Eat small amount of light food and more frequently.
    Drink a cup of cold milk.
    Eat apples and avoid citrus fruits.
    Drink plenty of water and avoid any soft drinks.
    You will feel the difference immediaetly.

Lightbulb

hahahaha :D... Gunny tere dhore to har beemari ka ilaz se neem hakeem !! :p

waise, Thanda Thanda Paani aur Milk is best desi remedy and for the other kinda heart pain, try Old Monk on the rocks!!

Rock on
    Jit

Quote Originally Posted by gaganjat View Post
    khada hokai apni chatti pai mukke maar, ar pher bhi theek na ho tai chaati peetna shru kar de:D
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

Jitte ! tere prescription ke bina ilaz asmbhav hai :p

Quote Originally Posted by cooljat View Post
    hahahaha :D... Gunny tere dhore to har beemari ka ilaz se neem hakeem !! :p

waise, Thanda Thanda Paani aur Milk is best desi remedy and for the other kinda heart pain, try Old Monk on the rocks!!

Rock on
    Jit
    My way or my way ?

Quote Originally Posted by vsf View Post
    I believe in straight forward talks. For me, everything in life is not joke....
    Very very good for you...