Backache - A Common Problem in India among youthsBackache cure: Back pain is one of the most common ailments of mankind. Ever since human beings stood upright they have been having trouble with their backs. In fact, experts estimate that roughly 80 percent of people will experience back pain at some point in their lives, and slightly more men suffer from it than women
What Causes Backache? • Weak abdominal and back muscles
• Poor posture
• Prolonged sitting, standing or stooping in one position, Sudden vigorous jerking or twisting of the trunk
Menstrual pain indirectly causing backache in women
What You Can Do to get relief from backaches?
For prolonged standing in one position, raise one foot on a platform or stool.
Put a cushion in the hollow of your back if your chair has poor back support.
• Sleep on a firm mattress.
• Avoid sleeping face down.
• Sleep lying on your back or on your side with one knee slightly bent.
Change the activity that causes the pain
If you have to sit, stand or stoop for long periods, change your position occasionally.
Lift heavy loads the proper way. Keep your knees bent and your back straight. Hold the load close to your body and straighten your knees as you lift the load.
Lessen the pain with rest, massage or medication
• Rest in bed to allow the injured muscle to heal.
• Place a hot towel over the aching area for 15 to 30 minutes. Take care not to scald yourself.
• Gently massage the aching area.
• Take a painkiller like aspirin (adults only) or paracetamol.
Exercises to strengthen abdominal and back muscle
Do these exercises daily, 10 times each. Increase the number of times as your strength increases. Stop if the exercise causes pain.
Step 1 Lie on your back with your knees bent. Press your back against the floor by contracting your abdominal muscles. Hold for 5 counts and relax.
Step 2 Lie on your back with knees bent. Raise your head and shoulders as far as you can. Hold for 5 counts and relax.
Step 3 Lie on your front. Lift your right leg as far as possible, keeping your knee straight. Hold for 5 counts and relax. Do this 5 times for each leg.
When to see a doctor for backache:
Go to your family doctor or a government clinic:
• If the pain doesn't go away.
• If diffuse backache is associated with a back that "locks" when you try to stand up after stooping.
• If the pain shoots from the back down one leg.
• If backache is associated with bloodstained or foul-smelling urine.
Go for an examination to the nearest hospital if :
• If back pain follows a fall or blow of the spine.
• If severe back pain shoots down one or both legs and is accompanied by muscle weakness or bladder and bowel incontinence.
courtesy : Health Promotion Board
home remedy for Backache
A dose of powdered Sonth, Meetha soda and Namak ( salt), if consumed with hot milk or water, redresses backache.