Thread: Why are Gotras confusing?

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Why are Gotras confusing?

Are Gotras basically clans? Why do some people claim Gotras off of the Rishis? like Bharadwaj? or Kashyapa? like i met a rajput who was of the sisodia clan, and said his gotra was kashyapa. and i met a janjua rajput who said his gotra was bharadwaja.

also where can i find the books called "bharat ka anjana" and "modern history of jats"?

Prashant, you should read Jatland Wiki for our origin and evolution.

After Adam and Eve, almost everybody is their kids. People developed some genetic characteristics with regards to the area and climate they were used to. I don't know how much you believe in God but on this planet there were humans and super humans. We are decedents of some human being whose genetic characteristic can be still found in our genes. Later we started consider ourselves as Jats. Its the convergent analogy and we all are just happening.

Ram may be known called as Ram, Raam or Rama ... is it so confusing ? I don't think so. We make it confusing while trying to add some substance into it.
    It's better to be alone than in a bad company.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vijay For This Useful Post:

rskankara (February 3rd, 2013)

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Prashant ki baat sahi hai..... iska khud ka title "Patel" likh raakhya s.... full name mein...... confusion to hona e thaa...... :rock

Prashant seems rightly confused. There is a difference between Brahminical gotra and Jat Gotra.

Brahminical gotra relates directly to the original seven or eight rishis of the Vedas.

Jat Gotras have initially been created in the name of a person, a place or some historical incidence. When in a generation a great person takes birth all the previous titles of this generation are included in the name of this great person and a new gotra starts in his name.

Patel, Chaudhary etc are titles and not Gotras.

Hope it is clear.

You can see more at http://www.jatland.com/home/Gotra

Regards,
    Laxman Burdak

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

rskankara (February 3rd, 2013)

Dear prashant, sikarwar bhi rajput hote hain aur rajasthan se migrate ho kar dolpur aor agra border par UP me rahte hai !

Quote Originally Posted by SikarwarRaja View Post
    Are Gotras basically clans? Why do some people claim Gotras off of the Rishis? like Bharadwaj? or Kashyapa? like i met a rajput who was of the sisodia clan, and said his gotra was kashyapa. and i met a janjua rajput who said his gotra was bharadwaja.

also where can i find the books called "bharat ka anjana" and "modern history of jats"?
    I heard that in this Kalpa, every one is descendant of Kashyap, so if no one knows Gotra of a person, his gotra is Kashyapa. (not sure about authenticity)
    Rajputs live more in proximity of Brahmins, so they have gotras related to rishis, however their clan names are very different from Brahmins.

Most of the societies in ancient world throughout the globe, were divided into priests, warriors and working people. In ancient times when the country boundaries were not so rigid as that of today, people were moving from place to place in groups or individual movements of people. In ancient times people were more into animal husbandry or agriculture or hunting to fulfill their food requirement. People who were into animal husbandary moved in masses alltogether so that they can manage their livestock and the second group of people were into agriculture. Both of these works required hard physical labor, therefore these were the group of people who formed the warrior class of a society. Because of the movement some people kept their family name related to place where they migrated to or migrated from, some people kept the name of the occupation, some kept the family name of their ancesstors (blood names). In ancient times if u are fighting a war, you need strength and strength were in masses or number of people.
    Many people who still retained their blood names, others retained their occupational name some others retained their place name, place from where they came from or settled in.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to maddhan1979 For This Useful Post:

op1955 (February 3rd, 2013)

I met a Rajput few years ago and he told me about a yagya that was performed to form a common army to defend territories of "Bharat" in the past. Person who put his "aahuti" in this yagya", was named as "Rajput". "Rajya ka putra", Rajput gotras are derived from all the basic gotras of different communities. You can find different Rajput gotras which can be derived from different communities of India. One point which asserts this fact is the existence of " Rajputs". "Rajputs", exits from north to mid India and west to east part of India.
    North western tribes have always been "Jats" and " Gujjars", this is verified by their geographic existence. They exist in Pakistan, Afghanistan and North west and central India.In the past and even today, they defended the boundaries of country as they do today. Warriors who fight and sacrifice themselves in the name of the country are left with property and women after their death. Women would seek refuge with other man irrespective of community. Although these women would have come out of "Jats", "Gujjars", "Rajputs" or any other fighting communities. As in old times wars were numerous and frequent. In such a position such women would have sought refuge with other men and their children would have been assimilated in the community these women originally came from.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maddhan1979 For This Useful Post:

op1955 (February 3rd, 2013)