Thread: Tribute to Late Capt Dilip Singh Ahlawat

Tribute to Late Capt Dilip Singh Ahlawat

The first thing that strikes one when one sees a photograph of Capt Dilip Singh Ahlawat is the powerful personality that radiates forth. A tall well-built person, the aura of some one used to command is too difficult to ignore.

Acharya Press Rohtak published his book “Jat Viron ka Ithihass”- “History of the Jats” in Hindi, in 1988.

When one reads his book, one is also struck with the depth and breath of his knowledge, as well as his investigative and reasoning skills.

His education appears to have been in one of the many famed Gurukuls run by the Arya Samaj, for his knowledge of the Vedas and allied literature is considerable.

He does not write much about his own experiences in the British Indian Army

A large book, well over 1,000 pages. The book encompasses the History of the jats from Vedic times to the late eighties. It has extensive sections on the goths, or gotras or clan names. It coves the history of the Jats during the Vedic period 3000 BCE, the age of the Nandas, the Mauryas, the Kushans, the second Guptas (the Dharan Jats), Harshvardhan, the Muslim period, the English period and post Independence.

Ahlawat shows how the Jats had their ancient system of writing, which came later to be known as Lunda or Mahajani.

His research work is extensive and original in nature, and that is what first struck me when I cam across this book in the early nineties. I managed to get a copy priced at about Indian rupees 300.00, approximately US. $ 6.00 or Canadian $8.00. The postage would cost more.

He spent much time researching the Sarv Khap records at Shoron District Muzzarfarnagar, as a guest of Chaudhary Kabul Singh then mantri (Chief Minister) of the Sarv Khap. and from those records emerged the amazing story of the Sarv Khap deeds and actions, gong back to 600 AD.

The Sarv Khap was based at Shoron, acted as the Panchayat or parliament for the republic of Khaps, which spread from the Rive r Sutlej in Punjab, down the Mandsor in Madhya Pradesh, (Central India) encompassing Rajasthan and Western Uttar Pradesh.

It survived the turmoil, until put an end to by the British repression following the defeat of 1857

The Sarv Khap records tell a very different story of the deeds of the people and the resistance they put up, first to the Islamic Arab invasions, and later to the British.

I translated some of this, and readers may wish to visit the archives of the Jathistory group or visit the files section:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/files/

[ membership required to access this section- click on ‘Join the group’]

1. The war with Timur

Timur.doc
    Timurs defeat by the Jats

2 The story of 1857- the first was of independence
    1857warofindependence.doc
    1857 First war of Indian Independence

Ahlawat sahib’s collection of military History events stands out, as do his parts on Sir Chotu Ram and other prominent leaders.

In the last few years we heard variously that he was working on a revised and updated version of his book. Sadly that was never to see the light of day as he passed away recently.

Again though it was very much in my plans to meet him, to interview of him, and take some photographs of him, it was not to be.

Of the first edition there are probably 50 copies left with his family n Rohtak, and those members who wish and can get hold of a copy will not regret having one in their library

His book could do with an English translation, and a reprint. Readers wishing to help in this project with either translation time and or money can get in touch with me

Ravi Chaudhary

Soldier Of Repute

Great soldier and phillosopher. His contributions are worth admiring.
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Tribute

I was really hoping for Mr. Ravi Chaudhary to post the tributes on this website, as it has a wider audience. Since I became a member of this group fairly recently, I came to know of his jathistory group too. What I came across is a wealth of information, both well-argued and well-documented, on that site.

The two articles mentioned by him and authored by Capt. Dilip Singh Ahlawat are such gems.

The war with Timur is really a good piece of historiography, which brings forth new evidence not discussed earlier, except of course by other Jat historians. It turns the present evidence about Timur's invasion of India on its head, all due to the bravery of Haryana SarvKhap and its braves.

The story of 1857- the first war of independence again a well researched article. It reminds us that brave Jat leaders Nahar Singh and Harnam Singh fought the war in the same leadership capacity as Rani Laxmi Bai, Nana Sahib Peshwa, Tantia Tope, Kuwar Singh and others.

Capt. Dilip Singh Ahlawat has really left an imprint with his work. I would highly recommend his books/articles.
    Last edited by nrao; February 3rd, 2005 at 12:33 PM.
    - Naveen Rao