Thread: True Martyrs

True Martyrs

Thought its a good read...

http://ia.rediff.com/news/2006/nov/0...q=tp&file=.htm

Today, the world has gone topsy-turvy: true heroes are forgotten and terrorists become martyrs.

-vinod

Kunjean

Lt. Balwan Singh, Gdr., MVC

An alumnus of Sainik School Kunjpura, Lt. Balwan Singh was commissioned from the OTA on 06 March 1999 into 18 Grenediers.

Lieutenant Balwan Singh and his Ghataks were tasked to assault Tiger Hill Top on 03 July 1999 as part of multi-pronged attack from the North East direction.

The route to the objective was untrodden, interspersed with pointed rocks and thick snow at a height of 16,500 feet. The officer executed his task with courage and determination.

The team led and exhorted by him moved over twelve hours under intense artillery shelling to reach the designated spur.
    This move took the enemy totally by surprise as his team used cliff assault mountaineering equipment to reach the Tiger Hill Top stealthily.

On seeing the Ghataks, the enemy reacted in panic with intense automatic fire causing serious injury to the officer and his team.

He refused to be evacuated and unmindful of his injury and grave condition, moved swiftly to encircle the intruders. His adversaries had no choice but to flee from the fury of accurate fire of the Ghataks.

The officer’s unparalleled courage under enemy fire and determination led to capturing Tiger Hill, the most important objective of our troops in Operation Vijay.

LOC Kargil by JP Duuta is based on the same story, Akshaye Khanna played him in the film. Dutta met with Balwan for the details of the encounter in Mumbai. I am not sure if Balwan had a girl friend as picturized in the film.

He used to be one class junior to me in the school, he is a major now I guess. I met Balwan last in Dehradun in 2004.

Maj. Kulwant Singh, a very dear friend was honoured with Sena Medal. He is from the same school too.
    Last edited by chhillar; November 5th, 2006 at 09:05 AM.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstien

Hi Amitji,

Good information about Lt.Balwan Singh. Based on it I have given article about him on Jatland Wiki See here

http://www.jatland.com/home/Balwan_Singh

Can you provide more info about his family back ground place of borth and a good photo.
    Thanka,
    Laxman Burdak

Let me see what I can get
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstien