Atri (अत्री) Attri (अत्री) Atre (अत्रे) Atrey (अत्रेय) Atreya (आत्रेय) is a clan or gotra of Jats found in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. They are Chandravanshi Kshatriyas. This gotra is found in Brahmans also.
They have originated from Rishi Atri (अत्री).
Atris are believed to be descendants of Rishi Atri who was son of Brahma. Markandeya Purana mentions them with Lampākas. They separate from Brahmanas of this designation, as the Mahabharata says they were Malecchas. Satapatha Brahmana mentions them. Mahabharata Mentions them as a people. Indradamana, an Attri King, gave various charities to the Brahmans.   
The Mahabharata Tribe - Atreya (आत्रेय) has been mentioned as northwestern primitive tribe (VI.10.67), possibly located in Atari, between Lahore and Amritsar. They were later initiated in the Brahmin gotras of Atri and Bharadwaja.
- आत्रेयाः स भरद्वाजास तदैव सतनयॊषिकाः
- औपकाश च कलिङ्गाश च किरातानां च जातयः (VI.10.67)
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
Villages in Aligarh district
There are 80 villages of Attri Jats in Khair and Tappal tehsils of Aligarh. Adjoining them are Nohwars who have 100 villages. Presently Attri Jats inhabit village Khadeha in Uttar Pradesh. At times they are also known as "Khaderia". Attri Jats have migrated from this village and founded 60 villages in Aligarh district, Bulandshahr District, Gautam Budda Nagar district(Noida) and Delhi-NCR Region.Gharbara is the most famous village. 
Villages in Gautam Budda Nagar district
Villages in Etah district
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Palwal district
Distribution in Madhya Pradesh
Distribution in Rajasthan
Locations in Jaipur city
Villages in Jodhpur district
Villages in Chittorgarh district
Villages in Udaipur district
Villages in Dungarpur district
Notable persons from this clan
- Kr. Sudhir Singh Attri - Engineer in HHML Group Dharuhera, Ravi Kumar Attri, Kuldeep Singh Attri S/o Ch. Tejpal Singh Babuji, Ch. Harpal Singh Gharbara.
- Manvir Singh Attri - RAS Rajasthan
- Chandra Jeet Singh Attri - He is the Asst. Professor in Electrical Deptt. of BPIT Rohini Delhi . He is from village Zikarpur, Aligarh.
- Nagendra Singh Attri - In Delhi Police, currently posted in Delhi. He belongs from village Ghangauli, Aligarh.
- Vir Bhoopendra (Attri) - Addl.CE (Retd.) PWD , Date of Birth : 10-May-1948, Permanent Address : Vir Bhawan, Dholpur, Raj. Present Address : 10/913, Malviyanagar, Jaipur, Phone: 0141-2547739, Mob: 9414071691, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gallery of Attris
Kr. Harpal Singh Gharbara
- Dr Mahendra Singh Arya, Dharmpal Singh Dudee, Kishan Singh Faujdar & Vijendra Singh Narwar: Ādhunik Jat Itihasa (The modern history of Jats), Agra 1998 p.223
- Markandeya Purana, op. cit., 57/39
- MBT, 12 / 234 / 18 ; 13/137/3
- Mahabharata, Bhisma Parva, 10/67
- Bhim Singh Dahiya, Jats the Ancient Rulers, p.245
- Jat Samaj: Agra, April 2000
Back to Gotras