Kakran (काकरान) Kakrana (काकराना) Kakkur (कक्कुर) Kakk (कक्क) is a gotra of Jats found in Bijnor, Muzaffarnagar districts in Uttar Pradesh, India. The Suryavanshi Kakusth, Kak, Khak, Chaudehrana, and Thukrele clans are branches of Kakran.
Connections with Rama of Kakrana Jats
From 'Kakustha' started a Jat vansha known as 'Kusth' or Kakvansh. This later changed due to language variations to 'Kakustha', Kāk, Kāktīya, Kakka, Kuk, Kukkur, Kak and Kākarāṇ. In this very clan was born Dashratha's grandfather Raghu who started Raghuvansh. Raghuvanshi Jats are also descendants of him who are also known as 'Raghuvanshi Sikarwar’. During Ramayana period, in Balmiki Ramayana, Deva Samhita, Vishnu Puran, Shiv Puran, Vedas etc there is mention of Jats and their republics at various places. Jatvansha joined his army of Vashishtha Rishi in his support and fought war with Vishvamitra. This was a very severe war in which thousands of Jat soldiers were killed. 
Bhaleram Beniwal has provided evidences from ‘Balkand ekonavish sarga shloka-16’, ‘Balkand dvavish sarga shloka-6’, ‘Balkand dvavish sarga shloka-20’, ‘Balkand panchvish sarga shloka-15’, ‘Balkand pratham sarga shloka-56’ to prove that Dashratha and his son Rama were ‘kakusth’ and Raghuvanshi Jats. Rama has been addressed by the names Raghunandan, Raghukul, Kakasthkul, and Raghuvanshi. Later Lava, elder son of Rama started Lamba gotra in Jats and Kusha started Kachhavahi or kushavansha whose descendant Brahdal was killed by Abhimanyu, son of Arjuna. Suryavanshi kushavansha Jats ruled Ayodhya from 3100 BC to 500 BC. In the 21st generation of Ikshvaku was born Mandhata who has been written and proved as Gaurvanshi Jat in genealogy of Suryavanshi kings.  One of sons of Mandhata was Ambarish. His son was Yuvanashva and his son was Harit, who was a great Rishi. The descendants of this king became Brahman who were known as Gaur Brahmans. 
The Kakrana Jats had a small principality `Sahanpur' in the District of Bijnor. They were great warriors. In this Sahanpur state, the Kakrana Jats had 14 (Chaudeh) great warriors, and this branch of Kakran clan is known as Chaudehrana. At the time of the Paravonh, statues were made of these warriors and they are worshiped.
While studying history of village Talesara , Gonda, District Aligarh(UP), we get information about the migration of Kankran people. The local tradition in Talesara tells us that It is believed that in the long past Kankran gotra Jats migrated from the foothills (talahati) of Himalayas due to unavoidable circumstances there. some of these groups settled in Rajasthan and some in Muzaffarnagar but a group headed by a woman warrior Lakshami settled here at the site of Talesara. Since group had come from talahati, hence the village was called Talesara and the region was known as Lagsami and now Lagsama, the corrupted form of Lakshami. A fair is organized here on every chaitra krishna saptami. It is a matter of research how and when these Kankran people became Thakurela.
Kakrana Khap has .... villages in Uttar Pradesh, Jat gotra is Kakrana. The village in this khap are: Meerut district-Masoori (मसूरी), Vana (वाणा) , Rafan (राफण) and Pahadpur (पहाड़पुर) : Muzaffarnagar district - Rajpur (राजपुर, Tilaura (तिलौरा), Mirapur (मीरापुर), Dalpat (दलपत), Faeempur (फईमपुर) and Kakrauli (काकरौली). 
Distribution in Rajasthan
Location in Jaipur district
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
Villages in Meerut district
Villages in Muzaffarnagar district
Villages in Aligarh district
Notable persons from this gotra
- Pravin K. Choudhary (Kakran), Indian Forest Service, Madhya Pradesh, 1981. Originally from village Tirola
- Krishna Pratap Singh (Kakran), 20-9-1955, Indian Forest Service, Madhya Pradesh, 1983. Originally village Saray Alam
- S.P.Kakran, Behar Thuru (Muzaffarnagar)
- Dr. S.K.Kakran - ECM Member, Govt. Service Medical Officer Acharaya Bodh Bhikshu Govt. Hospital (ABGH), Moti Nagar, New Delhi Flat No.-14, Dr. B.S.A. Hospital, Residential Complex, Sector-6, Rohini, New Delhi-110085, 9811311720, 9650296853 NCR (PP-24)
- Dr. Rajpal Singh (Kakran) - Retd Prof and HOD Statitics, Res. Kamal Kunj, 278-A, Durgesh Vihar, J K Road, Bhopal-462041. Telefax:0755-2682414, Mob:09425028689.
- Dr Mahendra Singh Arya, Dharmpal Singh Dudee, Kishan Singh Faujdar & Vijendra Singh Narwar: Ādhunik Jat Itihasa (The modern history of Jats), Agra 1998, p.228
- Bhaleram Beniwal: Jāt Yodhaon ke Balidān, Jaypal Agencies, Agra 2005 (Page 38)
- Vishnu Puran part IV Chapter 2-3
- Bhaleram Beniwal: Jāt Yodhaon ke Balidān, Jaypal Agencies, Agra 2005 (Page 39-40)
- Dr Mahendra Singh Arya, Dharmpal Singh Dudee, Kishan Singh Faujdar & Vijendra Singh Narwar: Ādhunik Jat Itihasa (The modern history of Jats), Agra 1998, p. 231
- Shish Ram Singh:Jat Samaj, Agra, April 2003, p.9
- Dr Ompal Singh Tugania, Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu, Agra, 2004, p. 14
Back to Gotras