As per 2001 India Census, Kangra had a population of 9155. Males constituted 50% of the population and females 50%. Kangra had an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 85%, and female literacy is 81%. In Kangra, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Kangra was called Nagarkot in ancient history. It is a town at the confluence of the Bener River and Majhi River. The headquarters of the district are in Dharamsala, now home-in-exile to the Dalai Lama. Many ancient temples like the Jawalaji Temple, Brijeshwari Devi temple, Chamunda Devi temple, Baba Baroh and Baijnath temple are found here. Kangra fort is also a popular tourist attraction.
Kangra is located at 32.1° N 76.27° E. It has an average elevation of 733 metres (2404 feet). The district of Kangra extends from the Jullundur Doab far into the southern ranges of the Himalaya. Besides some Rajput states, annexed after the Sikh wars, it includes Lahul, Spiti and Kulu, which are essentially Tibetan. The Beas is the only important river. Area, 9978 sq. m., of which Kangra proper has only 2725. Tea cultivation was introduced into Kangra about 1850. The Palampur fair, established by government with a view to fostering commerce with central Asia, attracts a small concourse of Yarkandi merchants. The Lahulis carry on an enterprising trade with Ladakh and countries beyond the frontier, by means of pack sheep and goats. Rice, tea, potatoes, opium, spices, wool and honey are the chief exports.
The Katoch rajas had a stronghold here, with a fort and rich temples. Mahmud of Ghazni took the fort in 1009 and from one of the temples carried off a vast treasure. In 1360 Kangra was again plundered, by Feroz Shah. The temple of Devi Bajreshri was one of the oldest and wealthiest in northern India. It was destroyed, together with the fort and the town, by an earthquake on the 4th of April 1905, when 1339 lives were lost in this place alone, and about 20,000 elsewhere. In 1855 the headquarters of the district were removed to the sanitarium of Dharmsala.
Kangra is also the place was occupied by the Nepalese (previously known as Gurkhas) fighter. In 1809, Ranjit Singh the ruler of the Sikh state in the Punjab, had intervened and drove the Nepalese army east of the Sutlej river. Later Gurkhas lost with British and was again occupied by the British in mid 18th. Amar Singh Thapa led from the Gurkha occupied it.
Back to Places