Main (मैन) or Maini (मैनी) is Jat Gotra in Punjab and Uttar Pradesh.  They are called Main in Punjab and Maini in Uttar Pradesh. Maini/Miyani/ Miyana/Myanah/Mani clan is found in Afghanistan. 
H. W. Bellew writes about this clan that the Ludi have entirely disappeared from Afghanistan, but the Miyani, a branch of the tribe retaining its primitive name, is still found in the country, as one of the divisions of the association of caravan merchants denominated Povindah.
The Miyani subdivisions or sections, as given in the Afghan genealogies, are the following : —
Almost all of these names, not even excepting that of the clan itself, the Miyani or Myanah, are found amongst the clans and sections of the Bajput. But as the Rajput now comprise a great many sub-divisions, the names of which do not appear in the early genealogies of the race, as given in Tod's " Annals of Rajasthan," it would seem that they have from time to time adopted and incorporated with their own tribes many others, of perhaps kindred origin, with which they came into contact in ancient times, subsequent to Alexander's conquest of Ariana. I have prepared a classified list of Rajput tribes and their subdivisions for reference in connection with this inquiry, which will be found at the end of this paper. It will serve as a guide to distinguish the tribes coming into Ariana from the eastward from those entering the country from the west and the north, and to distinguish both classes from the tribes inhabiting the country prior and up to the period of the Makedonian conquest.
It is to be noted that Rajput here includes Jats as well.
Distrbution in Uttar Pradesh
Villages in Moradabad district
Villages in Bareilly district
Villages in Pilibhit district
Distrbution in Punjab
Villages in Patiala district
Villages in Ludhiana district
- History and study of the Jats/Chapter 10 by B S Dhillon
- जाट इतिहास:ठाकुर देशराज,पृष्ठ-586
- An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan By H. W. Bellew, The Oriental University Institute, Woking, 1891, p.27,79,121,127,138,155,167,168
- Dr Mahendra Singh Arya, Dharmpal Singh Dudee, Kishan Singh Faujdar & Vijendra Singh Narwar: Ādhunik Jat Itihasa (The modern history of Jats), Agra 1998, p.274
- Jat Samaj, Agra : September, October 1999
- An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan By H. W. Bellew, The Oriental University Institute, Woking, 1891, p.13-14
- History and study of the Jats. By Professor B.S Dhillon. ISBN-10: 1895603021 or ISBN-13: 978-1895603026. p.123
Back to Jat Gotras