PDA

View Full Version : Advice- MIT vs MBA

sunju11
December 24th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Hi there,

I am planning to pursue Masters from Auckland University and finalised 2 courses-

1. Masters of Information Technology
2. MBA

I am in catch-22 to choose one of these, and would appreciate suggestion on which has best career growth?

To make work easy, I am into IT industry for past 5 years and currently working as Project Leader. I have extensive technical skills and now planning to move to a Management level.

Looking for some genuine opinions.

Thanks in advance.

tchahar
December 24th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Hi Sanjay,
You are already having good IT experience. Now it is better to gain function knowledge. It will be very helpful in reaching at a very high level in the organisation. Though i am too little experienced to advice you but whatever experience i have gained in last 10 months, on that basis i am telling you. I have worked with the IT as well as functional people from Australia. Functional people are always dominating. This is just my suggestion. Choice is of yours.
All the best.
Regards
Tara Singh Chahar

scsheorayan
December 24th, 2003, 12:27 PM
If you plan to work in Australia or NZ do not go for MBA option. MIT is better I think. Talk to some people in your field in the country you want to work and live.

vivek
December 24th, 2003, 05:47 PM
I have a MBA from a decent school in the US, and this is my opinion about it. Unless you have a MBA from a top ten business school, it would be a better investment to get a MS in your field if your background is in a technical subject. After my engineering degree, MBA seemed mostly common sense, and the knowledge could have been obtained reading a couple good books about finance and management.

If you have good problem solving skills, all case studies and such are a breeze..including computer simulated ones. (It follows the same path....identify problem, get info about alternatives, choose best based upon knowledge, Apply and watch results, evaluate result and modify approach based upon results). I had to slog hard for my engineering degree, but watched TV and bothered friends every night while doing MBA, and still got almost all 'A's. If you are a good 'bullshitter' with decent quantitative skills...MBA is a breeze. An MS in a 'hot' technical field might give you skills that an employer wants, especially for if you want to immigrate or get a green card. A management skill is not something you can sell as an added profesional talent when you are starting out (especially as an immigrant). My MBA has hardly helped me get a better job...its my technical degree that's paying the bills.

sunju11
December 25th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for ur advice.

Cheers,
Sanjay