PDA

View Full Version : Lets make a GRE group

gpilania
September 24th, 2005, 12:49 AM
hi friends(Jat Bhaiyon),
I was thinking of a making a group of those who are
preparing for gre. Because as being a group it will be beneficial to all of us.
We can exchange material ,experiance,thoughts and also help each other in many ways.
so those who are interested please give their response and suggestions .

Ghanshyam Pilania
B.Tech III yr
IIT Roorkee

rsdalal
October 2nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
Good idea Ghanshyam,

hi friends(Jat Bhaiyon),
We can exchange material ,experiance,thoughts and also help each other in many ways.

Ghanshyam Pilania
B.Tech III yr
IIT Roorkee

ratananmol
October 2nd, 2005, 06:37 AM
Dear Friends:
you may find my response to a similar query in my previous posts; the exam has changed a lot since i took it august,2001. I found the book titled "word power" by Arco very useful for vocabulary building. I recommend the use of this book before anything else to build your vocubalary. The words in the book are the most essential ones and have been compiled by the relative frequency in different tests like GRE and the way they have compiled somehow makes them stick in memory after a few revisions; it has self contained exercises for testing. The meanings/explanations for different words needs double checking at some places.
I hope it helps.
All the very best.
Anmol.

dabas_s23
October 5th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Hi all,

In this regard, I would like a small note of advice for those preparing
for Gre. And that is .. I know wordlist is very important, but it is not
everything. You should not be just cramming thousands of words as
part of ur prep.

On basis of my experience of taking Gre two times, I suggest that
you people should keep on practising the gre model tests/exams
side-by-side. It happened with me, during my first gre, that I kept
on 'ratna' Barrrons all the time for my gre..and in the end hardly I
had the time left for some paper practice.

Infact, I feel that practicing more-and-more sample computer based
exams is more imp. than wordlists,,also if u have suffiecient time (by
this I mean atleast 4-5 months) do make it a habit to read some
english novels,newspapers..This would help not only in Sentence
completetion, but also in RC and essay-writing.

Hope I am able to convey my views...wordlist is not evrything.

Take care

Sandeep Dabas
MS, Electrical Engg.
University of Minnesota, Twin-cities

gpilania
October 5th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks Ranvir ,Anmol and sandeep for ur precious and witty suggestions .
Can u suggest any effective GRE softwere which help in vocab building.
Also share ur experiances about test .
CHEERS

dahiyarules
October 5th, 2005, 02:26 PM
we can work together on the analytical section. as I will be appearing for GMAT in a few years. Mail me at sd02@fsu.edu if any progress on this happens.

prernadhankar
October 5th, 2005, 05:41 PM
i want to give the gre exam . can u suggest me the best period to give the exam.
regards,
prerna

ratananmol
October 5th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Dear GRE aspirants:
As written by someone taking tests is imp but you need some ground work done before you actually take test practice etc; it depends on your requirements. Also taking computer exams is very useful; the GRE official software is a good tool to take practice exams. I used the book by princeton too.
Best,
anmol.

vinodks
October 6th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Ghanshyam and others, Its nice idea... As Anmol said Word Power Made Easy is very essential book about origin and rational meaning of words through roots, prefix, sufix and history:-))).... there are other similar books... dont know about new GRE pattern but am ready to help in whatever way possible... Just to add, to really understand meaning of words and get familar with context they are used and get their essence in your RAM, reading books -novels, essays is very helpful...

Vinod

dahiyarules
October 6th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I am fortunate to have most of my faculty from the top schools in the country. The few that I have spoken to, have said the same thing, again and again.

Have a good vacubaulary, but do not eat up the 5000 or so words. Stress more on the analystical and the rest of the verbal part. I am sure that we all can blast the analytical part, as msot of hus have a very strong background in math. The verbal part is like an albatross around the neck. It brings bad luck. hehehe. So work on it.

Princeton is a good book to start with. I will recommend that you get the Kaplan series too, if they are available in India. I never remember seeing them at bookstores. I dont know if they have them now.

Any jat bhai interested in any help from me can always contact me.

I have a word list on my computer, that i got from a good samaritan. Its really helpful. Email me, and I will send it as an attachment. My email address is: sd02@fsu.edu

nnandal
October 6th, 2005, 05:26 PM
hi ghanshyam
this is naveen nandal from rohtak and i am in B.E final year(C.S.E) and going to appear in gre nov. end
you have great idea and beneficial to all jat bhais if you have some idea how to prepare a strong vocabulary please give me some tips
ok bhai
ram ram
naveen nandal(nnandal@hotmail.com)
take care
bye

hi friends(Jat Bhaiyon),

Ghanshyam Pilania
B.Tech III yr
IIT Roorkee