PDA

View Full Version : Paheli - what do you guys think about it!!

poonam
September 27th, 2005, 03:15 AM
So we have the movie nominated for Oscars. Though I liked the concept of the movie featuring a ghost ;) :D and talking about the women’s choice as rightly said by Amol Palekar, the director of the movie. And then the vibrant colors and the scenic sets of Rajasthan were so colorful. But honestly never thought that it would make its way to Oscars. Imagine beating movies like Parineeta and Black. Anyway, here is what Times of Inida has to say of the movie.

The Hindi feature film Paheli directed by Amol Palekar has been selected as India's entry in the foreign films category at the Oscars.
A 10-member jury, headed by noted filmmaker Vinod Pandey, made the selection after week-long deliberations, Secretary of Film Federation of India Supran Sena said.
"I'm happy at the nomination of the film for the Oscars", said Palekar in Pune. The film is produced by actor Shah Rukh Khan who also plays the lead role in it. Rani Mukherjee is the other key actor in the movie.
Asked if he would go for lobbying which plays an important role in mobilising opinion in favour of a film at the Oscars, the director "it is not the lobbying but the subject matter of the film which is important."
Paheli beat 14 other films including Swades, Veer-Zaara, Black, Parineeta, Page 3, Iqbal, Mangal Pandey and Marathi film Uttarayan for the nomination, Sena said. Paheli, which, according to Palekar deals with a "woman's right to make a choice", is a love story set in the picturesque locales of Rajasthan.
Paheli is based on the novel by leading Rajasthani writer Vijaydan Detha and the same book was reproduced on the celluloid by Mani Kaul several years back.
Palekar said when he narrated the script of Paheli to Shah Rukh, he liked it so much that he offered to produce it.
He said Shah Rukh is an "able producer" and "everything depends on him how he handles things in the run up to the Oscars.
The director said he and Shah Rukh would sit together and frame the strategy.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1243333.cms

vinodks
September 27th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Ye sab kasse hooaa ye bhi ek paheli hi hai... kya jamana aa gaya hai, logon ko quwality naam ki cheez nahi pata(icecream ko chhodkar)... mere khyala se "Black" to 2-4 Oscar bina nominate kiye hi de dene chahiye...

Vinod

devdahiya
September 27th, 2005, 07:17 AM
AAHE Poonam, tne ek baat bujhjhun bebe...? Itne din mei thread chhapya arr wo bi in furzi logan ke baare mei. Vinod bhai nei katti sahi baat kahi.......bekaar ki baat sein ye saari........mannass bawle banna rakhey sein in-ne. Aur sunnao aapki dacdari kissi chal rhi sei? Bebe aanti rahya kar.

poonam
September 27th, 2005, 08:42 AM
AAHE Poonam, tne ek baat bujhjhun bebe...? Itne din mei thread chhapya arr wo bi in furzi logan ke baare mei. Vinod bhai nei katti sahi baat kahi.......bekaar ki baat sein ye saari........mannass bawle banna rakhey sein in-ne. Aur sunnao aapki dacdari kissi chal rhi sei? Bebe aanti rahya kar.

Never thought my absence could be so conspicuous...:)

Anyways, jahan tak addangae ki baat hai to aag-addanga chhaapan main time nahi laagta naa ar sochna bhi naa padtaa na isliye..:D ..

Waise Dev uncle, movies have such a great impact on the masses especially the kids/younger generation that they can not be categorised as frivolous stuff.

devdahiya
September 27th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Never thought my absence could be so conspicuous...:)

Anyways, jahan tak addangae ki baat hai to aag-addanga chhaapan main time nahi laagta naa ar sochna bhi naa padtaa na isliye..:D ..

Waise Dev uncle, movies have such a great impact on the masses especially the kids/younger generation that they can not be categorised as frivolous stuff.

Bura te nahin maan gi bebe. mei te majjak karoon tha arr karta bi rahoonga....kar le ke kareigi? gaam mei cheedd kadhaya karte nyu? ha...ha...ha............khu ge wei din tei. Carry on bebe.....!

poonam
September 27th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Bura te nahin maan gi bebe. mei te majjak karoon tha arr karta bi rahoonga....kar le ke kareigi? gaam mei cheedd kadhaya karte nyu? ha...ha...ha............khu ge wei din tei. Carry on bebe.....!

Bura ar main...kati nahi.:)

Guess you missed all my smiling smileys..:D

manne bera sae aap majak karo so ar cheed kaadan laag rae so...saach maach main kuchh kehen ki himmat thodi naa sae...:D

Ab daacdri achhi chalti rahe ..to bhalai isi main hai ki wapas kaam per lag jaoon...you too carry on...kitte na khue we din..:)

devdahiya
September 27th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Bura ar main...kati nahi.:)

Guess you missed all my smiling smileys..:D

manne bera sae aap majak karo so ar cheed kaadan laag rae so...saach maach main kuchh kehen ki himmat thodi naa sae...:D

Ab daacdri achhi chalti rahe ..to bhalai isi main hai ki wapas kaam per lag jaoon...you too carry on...kitte na khue we din..:)

Poonam bebe mei te 3 din ki leave[ Holiday] ha..ha..ha le rahya suun........thoddi si haan mei bagh mei ja ke totte uddaunga.............Haar chidiya-2-2-2-2. Arr jib tahin sarre nahin udd lenge jib lug hattun nahin jama. Dhikhe bebe goli-gali theek thyak diye kade bukhar aale nei dasttan ki arr jukhaam aale nei naksheer ki. ha...ha..ha............Lage raho saare!

mukeshkumar007
September 27th, 2005, 09:57 AM
mere khyala se "Black" to 2-4 Oscar bina nominate kiye hi de dene chahiye...
Vinod

Vindo, you are right. Black is so far better then Paheli lakin phir bi pheli ko choose kiya gaya.... samaj maie nahi ayi!!! :confused:

BTW, best of luck, OSCAR jite to achi hi baat hai!

captmanjeet
September 27th, 2005, 10:23 AM
No chance for paheli to be in finals even .I think these things are fixed as the cricket matches???I may be wrong who knows...
manjeet

brad
September 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Oscar is given by americans->Paheli made more money in US then any other movie->americans like paheli->american give oscar to paheli.

its centuries old folk tale which is still popular and
is considered a masterpiece in story telling.

paheli hai, sabhi ke samajh mein aa jaye to paheli thodi hi kehlayegi.

gaurav_malik
September 27th, 2005, 12:08 PM
of an movie.So remakes are never considered
of too much weight in oscars.Also guys do
remember SRK's charisma will always influence.
Also paheli shows our culture,dresses,story telling.
And the 10 member panel do u think they are all
fools.

jitender_singh
September 27th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Hi,

I think Black would be better choice...

Gaurav, when we are talking of Oscars nobody knows who is SRK ...he is only upto filmafare videocon screen awards etc.........

Regards
Jitender

priti
September 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I quite liked paheli...thought it was a breath of fresh air...maybe because i love folk tales....aur woh bhi woman's right to choose topic hai to aur bhi compelling hai :D

I really hope Amol Palekar has a chance to win the oscar...he is a such a talented guy....

Didn't know it was up for an oscar though...thanks poonam for posting this.

gaurav_malik
September 27th, 2005, 04:28 PM
yaar black english movie ki remake
hai.That movie is better than even
black.yaar oscar mein fresh subject
chahiye

raj2rif
September 27th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Dear Dahiya Ji,

This is how a discussion gets diverted from its intended subject matter. I personally feel that, such questions could be asked to members through the messaging service that is available on this site.

Any way I hope we stop here and concentrate on the issue Ms. Poonam has raised.

To me, Paheli did not look like a movie being nominated for oscar. Yes, Black was a much better movie specially the way "Rani Mukharjee" has acted in it apart from the concept itself. Even Parinita was much better. To be honest, I started to see this movie but did not see the complete movie and thus my assessment may not be the right one.

devdahiya
September 27th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Dear Dahiya Ji,

This is how a discussion gets diverted from its intended subject matter. I personally feel that, such questions could be asked to members through the messaging service that is available on this site.

Any way I hope we stop here and concentrate on the issue Ms. Poonam has raised.

To me, Paheli did not look like a movie being nominated for oscar. Yes, Black was a much better movie specially the way "Rani Mukharjee" has acted in it apart from the concept itself. Even Parinita was much better. To be honest, I started to see this movie but did not see the complete movie and thus my assessment may not be the right one.

Dear Col Virendra ji,

It was not intended at all and mind you aim was never to divert the attention of members.Now as i have felt sorry, kindly throw/beam on full light on this important topic. Sorry giving you pains.

raj2rif
September 27th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Dear Col Virendra ji,

It was not intended at all and mind you aim was never to divert the attention of members.Now as i have felt sorry, kindly throw/beam on full light on this important topic. Sorry giving you pains.

Dahiya Ji,

Unfortunately I did not see the complete film and thus would not be the best person to comment on it. However whatever portion of the film I saw did not interest me much or may be was beyond my comprehension. As compared to the portion of this movie, I liked the performance of Rani Mukharjee in Black as well as the movie Parinita.

This is all I can contribute at this time.

shailendra
September 27th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Hello everyone! Wow, I think this is a quite a nice and interesting thread to come back to after so long!...
[But yes, I do see there are also a whole bunch of other cool ones that I need to get to though, so let's see......]

I dunno but seems like the officials say that their final decision and choice about 'Paheli' was unanimous among the jury. (The Film Federation of India is responsible for nominating Indian films for the Oscars.)

Quote-unquote from BBC:"This year, the competition was very tough. We saw each of the entries and finally, we all zeroed in on Paheli," Vinod Pande, the federation chairman told the BBC.

Paheli did not do very well at the Indian box office although it fared relatively well in overseas markets.

Mr Pande said the jury did not take that aspect in to consideration when choosing the Oscar entry.

"We do not carry that baggage when nominating a film.

"We have to be sure the movie representing India at the Oscars must have cinematic excellence, outstanding sound, outstanding music and truly represent the area it comes from," he said.

You know, I must confess that I personally liked 'Paheli' a lot...the whole idea of getting under someone else's skin and getting away with it was pretty cool. Imagine the possibilities!... :rolleyes: (Ah well!)
Anyways, I think Parineeta was awesome too in terms of the visual excellence...(those period dramas of Calcutta are just oh so delightful!) and on top of that the acting there too was exemplary...
The new comer who played the lead actress in Parineeta played the part like a veteran, and she was quite well suited for the role. The lady was a breath of fresh air in looks and mannerisms in these times of new comers who are scrambling to outdo the other in terms of playing the modern vamp/heroine!...

Having said that and coming back to Paheli, I loved that sequence with Amitabh playing the sheep-herder...You know, only in looking at those short roles and stints do you truly realize the amazing power and talent the veteran actor commands!!! Each dark intense look and smirk was carried out to the hilt...
Shah-Rukh tried (and managed quite successfully) to keep his hamming to the minimum and actually suited the role of the bumbling loser husband and then the suave ghost quite to perfection.

Give it a positive thumbs up guys and pray for a good showing... sometimes it's those under-dogs and least possible players that run away with the winners trophy, so who knows!!?!!...

sjakhars
September 28th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Good thread strated by Poonamji.
I saw all three films which are all in discussion and I liked Parineeta the most.
Good story,nice pictrisation,melodious music and above all graet performance by Saif,Sanjay Dutt and the newcomer actress Vidya Balan.vidya acted as a mature artist and she was the finest performer in the movie.
In recent times I think this is the best film.
Black was like an offbeat film.Acting by Rani was at excellence and I think Rani is at her best these days with Black,Veer Zaara and Hum Tum etc. Amitabh was , as usual,great.
I do not agree with the selection of Paheli as Oscar entry from India,though it is a good film but not good than Parineeta and Black.again Rani performance was excellent.I liked the scene by Amitabh in a getup of Gadariya.Agree with Shailendra.
May be the selectors have a better knowledge in all these matters.
So,just say a good luck to Paheli.

Regards.

cooljat
September 28th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Black is black, It certainly better movie...no doubt about that...truly world class & must be nominated in oscar!
even Swadesh was far better movie then Page3 to win national award!
But I dont get what up to juries mind!
anyways....both Swadesh n Black was surely winner for me!

rock on,
Jit

gaganjat
September 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Koi mhre tai bhi bhej do ik adhi CD , haam bhi aapne views likh denge :D
Aaj ke time mai manne nue nhi bera Amitabh bacchan kun sai