PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts: North American Jat Charities (NAJC) Meeting

ssingh
April 13th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Hello everyone, last Sunday (April 11th, 2004) approx. 50+ Jats attended the North American Jat Charities (NAJC) meeting held in Khyber restaurant in Edison New Jersey. Below is a note on my experience and thoughts on NAJC. For those of you who want to get involved in charitable work for Jats and learn more about NAJC, please continue reading…

It was the first time I attended an NAJC meeting and was truly impressed by the charitable work some of the leading Jat community members (NRI’s) are doing in India. Firstly, I was impressed to see a strong turnout on a rainy Sunday afternoon and secondly, was struck by the commitment of NAJC members toward their cause. Members shared the same vision and men, women and younger members were enthusiastic about their association with NAJC and its work. A truly charitable and committed organization with serious, like-minded individuals at its helm.

It was a pleasant eye-opener for me and motivated me to get directly involved in the work NAJC has dedicated itself to; from improving education among rural Jats, particularly women, to championing needy (& meritorious) Jat students in their pursuit of higher education. These are only some of the projects NAJC is spread heading, and with help from younger/energetic members, I believe it can accomplish a lot more. Visit http://www.najatc.org for more information (the website is currently being enhanced and it’s development was also on the agenda).

Like the rest of us, even I have a demanding full-time job and certainly a semblance of a social life (I try!!), but despite these commitments, I am looking forward to becoming more involved with NAJC this year.

rajendersingh
April 13th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Sumit singh ji namaskar,
we are proud of u all.it is indeed a noble cause,u all are working for.while most of u are settled aboard and there are very less chances for most of u to return to india ,your concern for fellow jats is realy great. it speak volumes about your love to fellow brothers and sisters.i am sure your selfless help for the community will make a great difference to the needy ones.

ajmer
May 1st, 2004, 02:18 AM
Folks,

This is a really good resource for those of us who really care about the community. This is an excellent organization to get involved in. I encourage everyone to learn more about it and get involved in something like this in whatever way they can.

There are so many people who want to contribute in terms of time or money and simply don't know how to do it. Such an organization is an excellent way to get involved directly and truly make a difference in whatever small or big way.

I have utmost confidence in JAJC mainly because some of the very respected members of the community are activly involved in this organization.

Would it be possible for someone to post what went on in the last meeting? I am very interested in knowing some of the ways how the organization is helping needy people in the community and how effective it has been.

Thanks much.

-ajmer

ramsarya
May 3rd, 2004, 02:04 AM
Dear Ajmer: I will try to give a brief overview of this meeting. NAJC is a charitable, non-profit, tax-exempt organization set up in US by Jats. It holds two meetings a year to discuss its ongoing work and new projects. Members usually select one or two new projects each year in addition to continuing on the old ones. Some projects or new items are emergency items and can't wait for a general meeting, and for that an emergency meeting is arranged by phone or only a few designated members decide on the course of action. NAJC has raised more that $450,000.00 mainly for educational projects in India in addition to projects like 9/11, Gujrat Earthquake etc
MEETING OF 4/11: After necessary corporation paperwork, Committee reports were heard. SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTE:There were 5 new applications, three scholarships were approved in the amount of Rs30,000.00 each year to each student in India and to be continued for the duration of their schooling as long as performance was satisfactory. No limit on the number that NAJC can provide. In addition, NAJC already provides 4 other scholarships at Rs 30,000. each; it also provides 20 scholarships in a high school in Nagauri and 5 in a high school in Rathora.
MEMBERSHIP: Six new members joined. Fees are $300.00 for life or $35.00 ist yr and $25 subsequent years.
RATHORA SCHOOL: High School for girls near Baraut, UP. 3 yr old, started by Dr Jagbir Singh (Prof in Temple, Philadelphia) in his mother's village. Run by donations from Jagbir Singh and family. Doing well academically, some buildings under construction. Dr Singh visits the school at least 3 times a year. 5 scholarships to students topping 6th to 10th grade receive scholarships ( all expenses for the year) provided by Nitika Dabas, a student herself.
NAGAURI SCHOOL: a high school started by Dr Jaipal Rathi ( Engineer & Prof, NJ resident) in his village. Running for the last 14 years from donations by Rathi, family, NAJC and others from US. 20 Scholarships (each girl and boy topping in classes 1st thru 10th) by Ram and Santosh Arya. Dr Rathi plans to start a hospital as well in the village.
KALIRAWAN SCHOOL: Already written about it on this site.
MOJI RAM FOUNDATION: Started by Kapoor Singh (NJ resident). Scholarships in his village and Rai School (his alma mater).

Adopt-a-Project: Santosh and I visited 6 projects in India on our own in Feb and March and reported to NAJC. These institutions are all run and financed exclusively or mainly by Jats and for Jats and other rural area residents.
1.DAYANAND MAHILA SHIKSHAN SANSTHAN, JHUNJHUNU, Raj: A girls hostel started in 1985 by Dr Ghasi Ram Verma (called Crorepati Fakir by loved ones), now retired Math Prof from Rhode Island Univ. About 300 rural girls reside in this hostel at a very reasonable cost thus enabling them to finish education. Started a college for girls last year within the premises. This is a pioneering institute in the sense that it started a chain of other Jat Hostels like it all over Rajasthan. Dr Verma has donated close to Rs 60 lacs of his own money and stays there 3-4 months a year guiding it. NAJC approved a donation of Rs 4.5 lacs to this place, 2.25 this year and 2.25 next year.
2. KERU SIKHSAN SANSTHAN, KERU, JODHPUR: A science high school started and run by Hanu Ram Choudhary in his village, 20 km from Jodhpur. No Govt aid, run mainly by donations. The only science high school within 20 km. Needs science labs furnished properly and needs a liabrary. NAJC approved Rs 4.5 lacs (2.25 and 2.25) in two yrs.
3.GRAMIN MAHILA SHIKSHAN SANSTHAN, SEEKAR, RAJ: Hostel for girls like Jhunjhunu. A very well run place by Jats. Main donations from surrounding jat families. Started high school from 6th to 10th grade (a first of its kind in Raj) 6-7 yrs back. Started college from last yr. More than 300 girls live there. If you have time to visit only one institution, then I will recommend this place. Of course needs money but not that badly.
4. PARDADA PARDADI SCHOOL, ANUPSHAHAR, BULANDSHAHAR, UP: A very unique vocational school by Rajender Singh, started 3 yrs back in his native place, a NRI jat ret'd from DuPont, India. Read about it under Jat Institutions, another thread on jatland. Worth your visit and appreciation. All financing by Singh. Runs at a deficit of about Rs 70,000 per month, hopes to break even within two years.
5. SIDHANTI MEM. AYURVEDIC CHIKITSALYA,BARHANA, JHAJJAR: A free Ayurvedic clinic run by the Ahlawat framily ( all residents of NJ) in their village. NAJC will adopt this project in the near future.
6. SIR CHHOTURAM EDUC & CULTURAL SOC, GURGAON: A really wortwhile institution by some very dedicated jats. Have collected and spent about Rs one crore so far. Runs a defence academy and is very successful. Will start trainig classes for admin service exams etc. Will prove to be a very beneficial institution for jats with an impressive selfless team. Can use financial help.

Donations of $10000. plus for the above projects were pledged by the members right there and then.
Other discussions included Role of Youth in NAJC (young people are encouraged to join and folks like me were very satisfied to see a good number of young jats taking very active part in it), 2nd World Jat Convention, community news etc.
I hope it was not too long a discourse, but our meetings run 3-4 hours and are very actively participated. Usually we have to potpone some of the topics for next meeting because of time constraints.
Anyone interested in NAJC's activities and would like to know more about it please contact me at 732-294-0514 or email at R.Arya@att.net. Thanks.

rameshlakra
May 3rd, 2004, 08:29 AM
Respected arya ji
regards ,
I was glad to hear about , NAJC goals , although i have been visiting its website , it was not as ample as u made it out here . thank you

Hope u have been successful in getting an able principal for kalirawan school . it would have been pleasure meeting u here when u were here for jat convention , now i know how much i missed .

It had been my humble endeavour to bring up the education standard of jats and it occured to me while reading ur post that having a local representation of NAJC out here in india would certainly be advantageous to NAJC in carrying out its task .

I would like to bring your attention to my post on NGO . The advantages of the tie up could be many , right from overseeing a project to recommending new initiative based on the ground realities .

sir , there is natural reaction to the change , the inertia , certainly there are inhibitions which are justified but i am sure u would see reasons and logic and intuition to come to conclusion .

regards

piush_tomar
May 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Dear Sir,

This is really a great work being done by NAJC for the JAT community specially in the field of education.Sir I want to be associated with this organisation and would like to work deep into the area where education is still far away from our community.
Regards

Piyush Tomar

Ram S. Arya (May 02, 2004 04:34 p.m.):
Dear Ajmer: I will try to give a brief overview of this meeting. NAJC is a charitable, non-profit, tax-exempt organization set up in US by Jats. It holds two meetings a year to discuss its ongoing work and new projects. Members usually select one or two new projects each year in addition to continuing on the old ones. Some projects or new items are emergency items and can't wait for a general meeting, and for that an emergency meeting is arranged by phone or only a few designated members decide on the course of action. NAJC has raised more that $450,000.00 mainly for educational projects in India in addition to projects like 9/11, Gujrat Earthquake etc
MEETING OF 4/11: After necessary corporation paperwork, Committee reports were heard. SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTE:There were 5 new applications, three scholarships were approved in the amount of Rs30,000.00 each year to each student in India and to be continued for the duration of their schooling as long as performance was satisfactory. No limit on the number that NAJC can provide. In addition, NAJC already provides 4 other scholarships at Rs 30,000. each; it also provides 20 scholarships in a high school in Nagauri and 5 in a high school in Rathora.
MEMBERSHIP: Six new members joined. Fees are $300.00 for life or $35.00 ist yr and $25 subsequent years.
RATHORA SCHOOL: High School for girls near Baraut, UP. 3 yr old, started by Dr Jagbir Singh (Prof in Temple, Philadelphia) in his mother's village. Run by donations from Jagbir Singh and family. Doing well academically, some buildings under construction. Dr Singh visits the school at least 3 times a year. 5 scholarships to students topping 6th to 10th grade receive scholarships ( all expenses for the year) provided by Nitika Dabas, a student herself.
NAGAURI SCHOOL: a high school started by Dr Jaipal Rathi ( Engineer & Prof, NJ resident) in his village. Running for the last 14 years from donations by Rathi, family, NAJC and others from US. 20 Scholarships (each girl and boy topping in classes 1st thru 10th) by Ram and Santosh Arya. Dr Rathi plans to start a hospital as well in the village.
KALIRAWAN SCHOOL: Already written about it on this site.
MOJI RAM FOUNDATION: Started by Kapoor Singh (NJ resident). Scholarships in his village and Rai School (his alma mater).

Adopt-a-Project: Santosh and I visited 6 projects in India on our own in Feb and March and reported to NAJC. These institutions are all run and financed exclusively or mainly by Jats and for Jats and other rural area residents.
1.DAYANAND MAHILA SHIKSHAN SANSTHAN, JHUNJHUNU, Raj: A girls hostel started in 1985 by Dr Ghasi Ram Verma (called Crorepati Fakir by loved ones), now retired Math Prof from Rhode Island Univ. About 300 rural girls reside in this hostel at a very reasonable cost thus enabling them to finish education. Started a college for girls last year within the premises. This is a pioneering institute in the sense that it started a chain of other Jat Hostels like it all over Rajasthan. Dr Verma has donated close to Rs 60 lacs of his own money and stays there 3-4 months a year guiding it. NAJC approved a donation of Rs 4.5 lacs to this place, 2.25 this year and 2.25 next year.
2. KERU SIKHSAN SANSTHAN, KERU, JODHPUR: A science high school started and run by Hanu Ram Choudhary in his village, 20 km from Jodhpur. No Govt aid, run mainly by donations. The only science high school within 20 km. Needs science labs furnished properly and needs a liabrary. NAJC approved Rs 4.5 lacs (2.25 and 2.25) in two yrs.
3.GRAMIN MAHILA SHIKSHAN SANSTHAN, SEEKAR, RAJ: Hostel for girls like Jhunjhunu. A very well run place by Jats. Main donations from surrounding jat families. Started high school from 6th to 10th grade (a first of its kind in Raj) 6-7 yrs back. Started college from last yr. More than 300 girls live there. If you have time to visit only one institution, then I will recommend this place. Of course needs money but not that badly.
4. PARDADA PARDADI SCHOOL, ANUPSHAHAR, BULANDSHAHAR, UP: A very unique vocational school by Rajender Singh, started 3 yrs back in his native place, a NRI jat ret'd from DuPont, India. Read about it under Jat Institutions, another thread on jatland. Worth your visit and appreciation. All financing by Singh. Runs at a deficit of about Rs 70,000 per month, hopes to break even within two years.
5. SIDHANTI MEM. AYURVEDIC CHIKITSALYA,BARHANA, JHAJJAR: A free Ayurvedic clinic run by the Ahlawat framily ( all residents of NJ) in their village. NAJC will adopt this project in the near future.
6. SIR CHHOTURAM EDUC & CULTURAL SOC, GURGAON: A really wortwhile institution by some very dedicated jats. Have collected and spent about Rs one crore so far. Runs a defence academy and is very successful. Will start trainig classes for admin service exams etc. Will prove to be a very beneficial institution for jats with an impressive selfless team. Can use financial help.

Donations of $10000. plus for the above projects were pledged by the members right there and then.
Other discussions included Role of Youth in NAJC (young people are encouraged to join and folks like me were very satisfied to see a good number of young jats taking very active part in it), 2nd World Jat Convention, community news etc.
I hope it was not too long a discourse, but our meetings run 3-4 hours and are very actively participated. Usually we have to potpone some of the topics for next meeting because of time constraints.
Anyone interested in NAJC's activities and would like to know more about it please contact me at 732-294-0514 or email at R.Arya@att.net. Thanks.

ramsarya
May 25th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Dear Piyush: It is heartening to know that you are volunteering to work for the benefit of the community. However, would you explain your wish to "work deep in the area where education is still far away". You are based in Delhi, can you visit and interview some candidates for scholarships and investigate their financial positions, in Rajasthan, UP or Haryana? Can you go to some designated schools and give talk to the students on career choices, give guidance or inspirational talks? What other kind of help can you offer? Thanks.

dalbirmaan
January 30th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Respected Sir,

I am a Computer Professional and basically into education. I am providing education in the field of Information Technology to Indian Army. Many a times i thought to help other jat student by providing them training into this field but could't do much. My father is a active member of Jat Sabha of our area.

After surfing this site i got an idea what you are doing and what i can and i should do for my community.

I thank you for the inspiration i got from you.

Kindly guide me how can i come in more contact with your organization and can benfit community people.

thanks with regards

dalbir maan

ramsarya
January 31st, 2006, 04:28 AM
Dear Dalbir:
Appreciate your enthusiasm of helping the community. As Vinod pointed out, you may get in contact with Navin Guliya to be part of Jat/Jan Jagriti. If you can travel 120 miles or so and spare some days, then we definitely can use your expertise to set up a computer lab at Kalirawan school and help the teachers and students. NAJC does not have an office in India, however we are always looking for deserving candidates for awarding scholarships and you can help in spreading the word and initial screening of students. You may contact me directly at ramsarya@yahoo.com or contact Kapoor Singh at kapoorsingh@yahoo.com for further dialogue.