PDA

View Full Version : Dhoti Wala Babu

devdahiya
October 16th, 2005, 07:56 PM
An old man, staying in a small Haryana town came to visit his son
in Mumbai.The son in his early forties, was a successful businessman living with his wife and son.The father, having spent most of his life at his birthplace, hardly understood Hindi or English, forget Marathi.But he didn't care. 'I have come here to spend a few days with my son and his family and it is they who matter to me, he said to himself 'I don't have to go out and socialize with the city people,' he thought.But the son was very excited about his father's rare visit to Mumbai.He wanted to make his father happy by taking him around to good places.He and his wife went to show him around the city.And yes, the son enjoyed those evening hours too, when he and his father went out and sat in a good bar, sipping their favourite drink.Last week he was in a very good mood. 'Let's go to a five star hotel's bar tonight,' he told his father.It was a beautiful evening. Talking about everything under the sun they had a few drinks.As usual they were offered some salad, peanuts, wafers etc. as accompaniments with their drinks.The old man being almost toothless was not much interested in eating.But that day when they got up to leave, he simply took a handful of chana (roasted grams) and stuffed it in the fold of his dhoti.He might have thought about munching on them, sitting in the car, or whatever.Unfortunately while walking in the lobby, he missed a step and stumbled.Down he went, scattering the chana on the plush carpet.No problem.

Now try to visualize that scenario. Someone else in his son's place
would have been mortified, embarrassed to death.
He might have cursed not his father but his own self for causing this awkward situation.'Never again will I take my old man to such hotels', he would have vowed.No sir, not this son. Gently, with a smile, he helped his father get back on his feet.
Instead of feeling irritated or angry, he was amused. He found the
whole incident very funny. Laughing, they both went home and on the way they decided to return to the same place the following Sunday. The old man liked the place. Liked the chana too.
A few days back, at a friend's place they both described this event and made everybody laugh.Weren't you embarrassed? Somebody asked the son.'Oh, come on now' replied the son. 'He is my father.
He talks in his native language, prefers to wear a dhoti even to a posh city hotel,takes chana from the bar to eat later, does whatever he feels like....So what? Why should I feel embarrassed with his nature and habits? Nobody has a right to stop him from doing whatever he feels comfortable with, as long as it is not harmful to others.' The son doesn't care what the staff in the hotel thought about that incident.He says 'they should be concerned only with their bills and tips.He said "I am concerned about my father's happiness.'The wife too totally agreed with the husband on this issue. She felt there are enough other qualities in her father- in- law to feel proud of.

So bring out from the closet your loved ones (less read parents / wife;
mentally challenged child) and introduce them proudly to the world.
Accept them as they are.

dikshasingh81
October 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM
It is really nice to know bout such ppl......wonderful post Dahiya uncle!!!! i cudn't resist myself from writing something after reading this.

hats off to such sons who r proud of their parents!!!!!!

suvigya
October 16th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Quite a touching post Mr Dhaiya :)...

jitendershooda
October 16th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Great !!

Bahut bhadiya Dev ji ....wonderfull ...really good one ...touching one

anilsangwan
October 17th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Really a great one !!!

dahiyarules
October 17th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I take my mother everytime I have to go somewhere. Sometimes I had to make a short visit to my office for something that came up, and my mother dressed in a salwar kurta would accompany me. People would give her a funny stare. One day a very fat female colleague told me that my mother's attire was funny. In response I told her that if she went in her pants and tops with her bodily assets to India, beleive me everyone would find it outrageously funny. And she shut up.

I completely agree with the moral of the story. Be proud of your parents and other loved ones.

sanjaysiwach
October 17th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Really great .It is a good message to follow up.

sjakhars
October 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Really great and touching story.
Moral of the story is worthy too,

Thanks Dev sir for posting.

devdahiya
October 18th, 2005, 08:29 AM
I take my mother everytime I have to go somewhere. Sometimes I had to make a short visit to my office for something that came up, and my mother dressed in a salwar kurta would accompany me. People would give her a funny stare. One day a very fat female colleague told me that my mother's attire was funny. In response I told her that if she went in her pants and tops with her bodily assets to India, beleive me everyone would find it outrageously funny. And she shut up.

I completely agree with the moral of the story. Be proud of your parents and other loved ones.

My dear Sumit....thats a great feeling.No body can take the place of parents....Infact they are the first God! Thanks.

raj2rif
October 18th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Excellent post Dahiya Ji,

We all must feel proud of not only our parents but also of our elderly people, who very simple and are happy with little things.

jagmohan
October 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Dear All,

Why should we be afraid to take our parents whereever we go?

While undergoing the prestigious Staff College Course at Wellington (India) in 1993-94 my mother was very much with me for the complete duration of the course, about 10 months. I can say it with pride that I was tthe only officers whose parent was with him for the entire duration. And she went to all the Ladies Club meetings, where parents were allowed, in Salwar - Kurta and my wife would proudly introduce her to all. And then during the Winter Break, when every one rushes to Kerela, we took her along. It used to be quite a scene at the Kovalam Beach. We used to make her sit under a coconut tree on a 'Chatai', while we swam in the sea or drank beer on the beach. And my mother used to wonder at foreginers who roamed freely in bikinis and say "In ne sharam bhi nahi aati". And I used to say "Ma, in ne mhari bhi sharam khatam kar di", but also enjoy the scenery!!

Colonel Tavathia will vouch that many officers are shy of keeping their parents with them while undergoing this course. Probably because of shyness or some complex.

LOVE your parents if you want to be LOVED by your children.

Regards,

JS Malik

gaganjat
October 18th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Sidhi sacchi baat !

devdahiya
October 18th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Dear All,

Why should we be afraid to take our parents whereever we go?

While undergoing the prestigious Staff College Course at Wellington (India) in 1993-94 my mother was very much with me for the complete duration of the course, about 10 months. I can say it with pride that I was tthe only officers whose parent was with him for the entire duration. And she went to all the Ladies Club meetings, where parents were allowed, in Salwar - Kurta and my wife would proudly introduce her to all. And then during the Winter Break, when every one rushes to Kerela, we took her along. It used to be quite a scene at the Kovalam Beach. We used to make her sit under a coconut tree on a 'Chatai', while we swam in the sea or drank beer on the beach. And my mother used to wonder at foreginers who roamed freely in bikinis and say "In ne sharam bhi nahi aati". And I used to say "Ma, in ne mhari bhi sharam khatam kar di", but also enjoy the scenery!!

Colonel Tavathia will vouch that many officers are shy of keeping their parents with them while undergoing this course. Probably because of shyness or some complex.

LOVE your parents if you want to be LOVED by your children.

Regards,

JS Malik

Jagmohan sir, Worth emmulating steps taken by you. Thanx for sharing.

akdabas
October 18th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Excellent !!!

sanjay22dahiya
October 19th, 2005, 01:05 AM
simple living & high thinking.live life naturally....

devdahiya
October 19th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Sumit bhai thanx for sharing your sentiments. Proud of you.

ramksehrawat
October 20th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Very touching Dahiyaji. It is an eye-opener for those who feel ashamed of going out or to be seen with their parents on the pretext of they being old fashioned (in other words dehati).

I recall a true incident where a jat army officer took his widowed mother with him to the place of his posting, Jammu I think. His wife was not happy and she used to tell her friends that they had brought a "naukrani" from their village to look after the kids. When his mother came to know, she did the expected. She caught the first train and came back home. Whenever I see this retired colonel (now himself in his 70s), I feel only pity for him as now he is undergoing the same thing. His only son is abroad and he is suffering alone back home in a small town. One must not forget that we came from parents and not the other way round. Without being respectful to our parents, howsoever they may be, we cannot be happy.

mukeshkumar007
October 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Really very nice dev uncleji. I have an opportunity to read this story second time at jatland. Really a moral lession to all of us. we must care our parents and our elder's feelings.

krish.idea
October 21st, 2005, 03:16 PM
This thread is simply very absorbing...
I'd like to add just one thing
GOD COULDN'T BE EVERYWHERE SO HE SENT PARENTS TO BLESS US

devdahiya
October 21st, 2005, 09:28 PM

Yup absolutely true ji.

vins
October 22nd, 2005, 10:13 AM

perfect description ... krish :)

spdeshwal
October 23rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
When my father was in Auckland i would request him to wear a dhoti every time we would go to a mall or a supermarket. New Zealand is really a wonderfull place when it comes to admiring other cultures and their dresses.

devdahiya
October 25th, 2005, 08:48 AM
When my father was in Auckland i would request him to wear a dhoti every time we would go to a mall or a supermarket. New Zealand is really a wonderfull place when it comes to admiring other cultures and their dresses.

Deshwal bhai ji.......Good gesture...keep it up!

devdahiya
January 2nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
Very touching Dahiyaji. It is an eye-opener for those who feel ashamed of going out or to be seen with their parents on the pretext of they being old fashioned (in other words dehati).

I recall a true incident where a jat army officer took his widowed mother with him to the place of his posting, Jammu I think. His wife was not happy and she used to tell her friends that they had brought a "naukrani" from their village to look after the kids. When his mother came to know, she did the expected. She caught the first train and came back home. Whenever I see this retired colonel (now himself in his 70s), I feel only pity for him as now he is undergoing the same thing. His only son is abroad and he is suffering alone back home in a small town. One must not forget that we came from parents and not the other way round. Without being respectful to our parents, howsoever they may be, we cannot be happy.

How true RK BHAI ji. Happy new year.