PDA

View Full Version : Any Jat in Safety Profession

rajender_dahiya
August 4th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Hi All,

I am meeting, chating, discussing with many people, but I did not find any JAT who is in the profession of Industrial Safety or Occupational Health & Safety. I am Occupational Health & Safety Engineer in Kuwait Refineries having engineering degree from India and Associate Safety Professional from USA. If anyone from this profession, please contact me.

Rajender Dahiya

jagmohan
August 4th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Bhai Rajender,

RAM RAM,

I too am in this profession but in Industrial Security since Apr 2002. Presently Head Security at FIAT INDIA PVT LTD at Mumbai. I am looking after two FIAT plants, one at Kurla (W), Mumbai and the other one at Ranjangaon (On Road Pune - Ahmednagar).

Like you, I too belong to Sonepat.

scsheorayan
August 4th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Dear Rajender ji,

I am also in related field of Ship Safety. Details are on my homepage
www.geocities.com/scsheorayan

Look forward to hearing from you.

rajender_dahiya
August 6th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Dear Sheorayan Saheb,

Very pleased to hear that you are in the same profession and at very high level. I have gone through your site and got all info.

Dear Malik Saheb,

If you get some diploma in safety from mumbai only, you can take over safety as well with security.

Rajender Dahiya

jagmohan
August 6th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Bhai Rajender,

Thanks for the advice. I think I must do so and upgrade myself. Even though I am pursuing a second career but then it is never too late to learn new things in life.

Regards,

scsheorayan
August 6th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Dear Rajender,

Thanks for the message. Being a sailor my most experience is with SOLAS (Safety of Lives at Sea) and IMO legislation of which India is also signatory. Presently environmental legislation is getting a lot of attention from international community and within next 10 years some major technological changes may be taking place in shipping and power generation industry. There is general tightening on air and water pollutants. That also offers new opportunities. Of particular interest will be gas powered engines, fuel cells, alternate energy,environmental friendly paints etc. Nano technology is also happening technology. Please feel free to exchange ideas with other friends on the site by posting about any new developments in your industry.

rajender_dahiya
August 8th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Dear Sheorayan Saheb,

I am planning to settle in Canada in near future (after 6 months). I need your guidance how to proceed further for getting a job. I am more interested to settle around toronto. Please advise.

Regards,

Rajender Dahiya

scsheorayan
August 9th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Migration to Canada is relatively straight forward. However finding a job within your own field may be more difficult. You may have to get some local qualification to boost your chances. Toranto can be cold but you must have your reasons to live there. Infact you can start applying for jobs even before you land there through internet. Wish you good luck.

birbal
August 10th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Dahiyaji,

In Canada, every oganization once it reaches a minimum number of employees, is required to have Occupational Health and Safety Officer. So, in Toronto there will be a large number of people in this profession. These days as you know every profession has an association and you should try to join the relevant association for you in Canada. Once you are a member of such association you will have lot better opportunities.

rajender_dahiya
August 14th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Dr. Birbal Singh Ji,

Thankyou very much for the advice. I am Professional Member of American Society of Safety Engineers, Kuwait Chapter. Also, I am in the process of applying for the Canadian Society of Safety Engineers membership. You are very right that it will help me a lot, but how if I do not know anybody in the society. Can I take some addresses of the members and write them? Will it work?? Please further guidance is needed, how to communicate??

Regards,

Rajender

birbal
August 14th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Dahiyaji,

It is not a great problem if you do not know any one in the Canadian Association for Safety Engineers. The membership in the association will give you access to lot of useful information, and of course, it would be a requirement for jobs in your field. Many of the jobs are not advertised widely and only advertised through association publications. You can also find the names and addresses of companies and people in hiring positions across the country to send resumes for their consideration.

In North America, you need to develop a network with people from your profession. Initially, it is tough but persistent effort will pay off. As I have written elsewhere on this website, the most common problem for new immigrants is underemployment for a while and not unemployment. There is disadvantage in being a foreigner and there is discrimination but if one works hard continuously, they can be overcome. Also, do not hesitate to apply for jobs in remote places (many paper mills and mining companies in remote areas have to have safety officers).

Good luck.

Birbal singh

rajender_dahiya
August 15th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Dr. Birbal Singh Saheb,

Thankyou very much again for the guidance and I will do that. Chevron Texaco consultants are here in our refinery and one of them was GM (Refinery) in Alberta. How he can be helpful for me if I approach him. Please again.

Best Regards,

Rajender Dahiya

birbal
August 15th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Dahiyaji,

It is a good idea to talk to any visiting Canadian in your field. He may be able to tell you about the situation in Canada and how to go about looking for opportunities. You should also not be disappointed if the individual is not very cooperative.

Also, when you come to Toronto, you should visit local community colleges and offer to teach a course in Occupational Health and Safety. These kinds of part time teaching are not well paid but they lead to better opportunities.

rajender_dahiya
August 16th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Dr. Saheb,

Thankyou very much once again for guidance. I will come back to you as and when required. I am sure, you are always there to help the community.