PDA

View Full Version : Volleyball Association of Jats in America

jtsagi
August 13th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Hello Folks!

This message is being sent on behalf of the "Volleyball Association of Jats in America" JAVA which is an integral part of AJA (Association of Jats in America) to invite Jats/Jatnis all over US to be a part of our association.

JAVA informally means "Brewed coffee" and idea here is to get together over a cup of coffe (I know there will be a greater demand for Chai - Tea) and play volleyball.

This gives us a chance to know each other better and enjoy each other's company more frequently, while geting some good exercise in bargain. (No need for Low-Carb or Atkins diet anymore)

The League has two (2) teams of approximately 15 members each. We expect anywhere from 10 to 16 members to show up for any given meeting. We will be meeting for our second game on August 14th i.e. Saturday from 10:00 AM - 1:00 pm at Lockheed Martin Complex in Moorestown, New Jersey. The first game held on 07/24/04 was a huge success. Interested folks can read the write-up about that game along with some pics by visiting the link below.
http://www.ajata.org

The tentative schedule for the next two
games as of now is September 4th and September 25th.

If anyone is interested in being a part of our volleyball league, please feel free to contact either me or Mr. Kapoor Singh via email : kapoorsingh@yahoo.com

Happy Independence Day!

jtsagi
September 13th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Everyone felt the need for social outings that are held more frequently and on a regular basis. Well, the guys have responded really well to the call. Despite some early teething difficulties, JAVA seems to have found its foothold. Second leg of the JAVA league was played on August 14, 2004.

Same venue, same weather, only a little larger attendance. Twenty enthusiastic, high-spirited jats showed up for the second leg of the volleyball league. Play was supposed to begin at 10 am but it started raining (heavy at times) around 9 o’clock. We had our fingers crossed. But as luck would have it, rain stopped just before 10 and weather held up really well during the entire duration of play. It started to drizzle back again just about when we were done - 2:15 pm. In the end, overcast skies turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We would not have had such a long session, if not for the cooler weather.

Fortune favors the brave !!!

Special thanks to:

Harish Tanwar for his efforts in making the Lockheed Martin complex available. It is such a nice facility and suits us so well.
Ranvir Dalal, Jatin Singh, Prem Beniwal, Ram G. Dhindhwal, and Viresh Ahalawat for bringing in snacks/drinks.

The team fortunes reversed this time. “The Dogs” beat “The Pups” 6 games to 5. I do not have a definite answer but I am listing a few scenarios that may have contributed to their better play. You be the judge and let me know:

1. Their captain’s (Dev Dabas) absence motivated them to play harder

2. Vireshwar’s desi ghee ka Halwa worked in their favor, although Vireshwar played on our team.

3. Presence of three strong players, CB Nandal, Prem Beniwal and Ram Dhindhwal, in the center row spurred them to victory. Prem is the only guy to have won both times.

4. Shri Dalal’s resolve to not loose two times in a row was too strong for us to break. Shri’s flawless play at the net (as usual) was well complemented by two first timers - Vijay and Neeraj.

5. Or was it JT’s spirit, matched by his flashy brilliant play that saw them through. Imagine what would have happened if JT had utilized his energy better by talking 10% less. Just kidding JT…..It’s guys like you and KB that make a party come alive.

Heartening news was the presence of the next generation. I am sure Sandeep Nandal, Anil Beniwal, Vijay Ahlawat, and Abhishek Chhabra (surprised??? Yes….he is a jat) had a pleasant experience and will try to participate in as many future outings as possible. I thank their parents for encouraging them to come out and make new friends.

Its funny how we were scrambling for players a few weeks ago and this time we had enough players to form three teams. May be that’s what we will have to do next time: Form three teams and play a round robin tournament.

The only difficulty would be coming up with a “biting” name for the new team or for all the teams for that matter. “The Dogs” and “The Pups” did not go too well with SOME people. Please come up with suggestions as regards to the Teams’ names. May be we will have a re-christening ceremony before the next game.

The Teams

“The Dogs”

Vijay Ahalawat (First Timer)

Rajesh Kumar (First Timer)

Harish Dhayal (First Timer)

Ram G. Dhindhwal (First Timer)

Neeraj Kumar (First Timer)

Chander Bhan Nandal (First Timer)

Shri Om Dalal

Jatin Singh

Harish Tanwar

Prem Beniwal

“The Pups”

Sandeep Varma (First Timer)

Sandeep Nanadal (First Timer)

Virendra Tavathia (First Timer)

Jagbir Singh Balyan (First Timer)

Anil Beniwal (First Timer)

Abhishek Chhabra (First Timer)

Vireshwar Ahalawat

Dilbag Singh

Ranvir Dalal

Kapoor Singh

jtsagi
September 13th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Hi All

Good new is that more and more people are showing interest in JAVA (the volleyball league). After all there is more than one reason to get together every three weeks - great occasion to brush-up your Haryanavi, chance to catch up with latest desi jokes, and a heavy dose of physical workout…..Who wants to be in Bill Clinton’s shoes right now??? Even a trip to Disney can’t beat this package.

Since we had volleyball game-cum-family picnic this time, thirty one (31) people showed up at Jamesburg Park on Saturday, September 3rd – 9 Kids, 7 ladies, and 15 players. It was gratifying to know that the ladies and kids enjoyed the picnic as much as we (players) enjoyed our game.

Special thanks to Anita, Amrita, Bhawna, Pranjal, Diksha, and Sushma for the potluck lunch. Each and every dish was very-very well cooked / prepared and presented. Thank you all very much!

Our sincere thanks also go to Roperia brothers for being such generous hosts; and Dilbag Singh, Jagbir Balyan, Rajesh Kumar, Dev Dabas, and Sanjay for bringing in snacks. I am not sure who brought the doughnuts but whoever it was I thank you – kids went through the whole tray even before we got done with the game.

We had a great time except for the weather that became a little too hot esp. towards the end when the wind almost died. Final team score may have been a dead heat: 4 – 4, but there were some individual performances that were worth a mention:

Sandeep Varma (Dogs) was perhaps the best when it came to ball-handling skills esp. the overhand pass (hands above the head) – using both hands simultaneously while controlling the ball with fingers to direct the ball to the intended target. Col. Tavathia (Pups) was equally good but a few erratic oversets at the net (he prefers to be a setter) cost him the top billing. Not to mention that he was not perfectly healthy and the injury may have caused those unforced errors.

Although Rakesh’s (Dogs) overhand serve was quite effective for the “Dogs”, he was unable to match Mr. Consistent – Ram S. Arya (Pups): whose deadly and accurate floaters proved to be the match winners.

Sanjay’s (Pups) brilliant spikes early on in the game rattled “The Dogs”. He had quite a few successful kills especially from his on-hand side i.e. when the setter (Co. Tavathia) set the ball from Sanjay’s right.

Shri Om’s (Dogs) one-handed soft hits (dinks) into our court using fingertips helped them win crucial points. He is blessed with two of the most critical qualities – quick thinking and sharp reflexes – that make him such a formidable player at the net esp. in the type of game we amateurs play.

Rajesh (Pups) was the find of the day. His serves, in the last game, may not have been winners but he did not commit even a single mistake which is very helpful in a Rally Point Scoring System where you loose a point for a faulty serve.

Best Referee: Vireshwar (Dogs) was so honest in his refereeing that we could not resist appreciating his performance.…..(We mean it! Vireshwar).

“The Dogs”

Jagbir Balyan

Dilbag Singh

Shri Om Dalal

Vireshwar Ahlawat

Dev Dabas

Rakesh Bharak

Sandeep Varma

Brijender Roperia

“The Pups”

Ram S. Arya

Virendra Tavathia

Joginder Roperia

Sanjay Roperia

Rajesh Kumar

Prasad (Guest)

Kapoor Singh

Community Tidbits:

Col. Tavathia, AJA President, informed us that he has nominated Sandeep Varma and Sanjay Roperia as Secretary and Vice President of AJA respectively. I am sure this TEAM will take AJA to new heights. We wish them a very successful tenure.

NAJC (North American Jat Charities) will be celebrating its 10th Anniversary on December 11th, 2004 in Edison. Everyone is cordially invited to an evening of professional entertainment and dinner. ENTRY IS FREE. Stay tuned to www.ajata.org

jtsagi
September 24th, 2004, 08:41 AM
The final volleyball game of 2004 season will be played this Saturday i.e September 25th (9:30 AM) at Jamesburg Park. The Park (also called Thompson Park) is on - Forsgate Drive, Jamesburg/MonroeTownship. (New Jersey)

If anyone is visiting the area, please feel free to join us. For more information, you can either email me or Kapoor Singh kapoorsingh@yahoo.com