PDA

View Full Version : Landscape architect...?

mansi1218
December 1st, 2005, 02:53 PM
Hello
Is there any Landscape architect on Jatland? or anyone studying Landscape architecture?I needed some help for my design problem (i.e. an urban school)
thanx!

shailendra
December 1st, 2005, 10:29 PM
Hello
Is there any Landscape architect on Jatland? or anyone studying Landscape architecture?I needed some help for my design problem (i.e. an urban school)
thanx!

Mansi, if you haven't yet heard from specifically a 'Landscape' Architect (and/or not already sorted out the design problem) then hopefully maybe this Architect/Urban Designer could be of some help???...

mansi1218
December 2nd, 2005, 07:08 PM
thanx 4 replying...
Actually i just have 3 days left 4 d submission n im really nervous as this is a new subject (im in 3rd yr) n i dnt know anything about Landscape like the plants' names....ornamental plants grown in India,..canopy height,foliage etc.
Can u suggest shrubs/trees/grown covers..4 the school entrance building n also how i should design other areas like amphitheatre,courtyards (they r 15*12m in size)...i thought the space was 2 small to design coz i wanted it to be play area but then maybe i have to design it as well.Its an MCD school at Mehrauli...so it wont b gud 2 provide water bodies.so i want to know wat other landscape features i can provide
Also I wanna know about pergolas...like wat should be d maximum size as our teacher said dat it cant b as big as 7*12m..
Pls guide me.... i just need 2 make a workable plan..
thanx!

shailendra
December 2nd, 2005, 09:01 PM
thanx 4 replying...
Actually i just have 3 days left 4 d submission n im really nervous as this is a new subject (im in 3rd yr) n i dnt know anything about Landscape like the plants' names....ornamental plants grown in India,..canopy height,foliage etc.
Can u suggest shrubs/trees/grown covers..4 the school entrance building n also how i should design other areas like amphitheatre,courtyards (they r 15*12m in size)...i thought the space was 2 small to design coz i wanted it to be play area but then maybe i have to design it as well.Its an MCD school at Mehrauli...so it wont b gud 2 provide water bodies.so i want to know wat other landscape features i can provide
Also I wanna know about pergolas...like wat should be d maximum size as our teacher said dat it cant b as big as 7*12m..
Pls guide me.... i just need 2 make a workable plan..
thanx!

Mansi, this is more of a graphical nature of a problem and it would be quite ambigious for me to be able to suggest anything without looking at a workable sketch! (and quite frankly remembering the names of ornamental plants grown in India, their canopy height,foliage etc. is difficult after now having practised here)...

But still don't worry, let's see if I can give some thumbrule pointers:

Depending on the size of your courtyard, you should work with your tree covers accordingly...so for example: If the courtyard area is too small you can start with maybe showing small palms clustered in the center (planted on a raised berm to allow sitting around them), and if the area is big enough then maybe try designing with small shade trees on the corners and with shrubs and ground cover below (around) the tree trunks...
An important decision would also depend on how is the courtyard surface you are planning (for example: is it hard surface, if yes then you need to allow for planting by including green strips on the edge of the courtyard. Or maybe you wanna keep the whole surface soft by showing green grass all over)...

Either way you can see it is difficult to tell for certain without seeing a sketch and size etc. to work off from but I am sure you will know what I am talking about and make some head or tails of it, with your own drawings infront of you...

Entrance areas could be heavily landscaped and made to enhance/celeberate an entrance feature (as long as you make sure the actual entrance vestibule/ opening is not hidden away but the landscaping is actually highlighting it!)

Amphitheatres should be left free of any kind of landscaping inside them, as they need to be free of any obstruction and allow clear viewing of the performing platform. The seating areas are the only place where you can use soft grass cover (either if the seating is in step form or it is one huge slope towards the platform)
landscaping outside the Amphitheatre (like beyond and behind the walls of the performing platform and around the sitting area) is ok and could be done with bigger shade trees and the area of the amphitheatre could be demarcated by shrubs and bushes rather than actual walls, making the experience of involvement more informal.

Water bodies like fountains, lap pools (that can stretch, be shown elongated...or in the shape of an ameoba, or anything that supports your design) can and should be introduced freely and are very important landscape elements to consider as water can easily soften and make any space visually delightful (that's why you must have noticed that Japanese landscaping would always include such water features even if the open spaces/courtyards are super small)

Pergolas are an extension of a semi-covered walkway/pedestrean path and so need to be intimate enough so as to not give the feel of a permanent structure...they should always be designed s temporary looking structures (try showing strong stone concrete columns with maybe wooden beams spanning the walkway)
The walkway/sidewalk under the pergola, and hence your spanning width, should be around 6'.0"-8'.0" (maybe even 10.'0") feet wide maximum, and the height of the Pergola should not be any less than 8 feet clear. (sorry about not writing in metric scale; but I am sure you can do the conversion math)

Hope that helps....Best of luck with the submission! let us know how it went. Remember no design concept is good unless you leave enough time to do a good presentation (meaning final sketches, renderings/illustrations, perspective drawings)...use even the rough conceptual sketches in the pin up along with the final ones to show the thought process...and always write down some pointers/notes before hand for yourself that you will say about the project to the jury, as explaining clearly the highlights and most important points of consideration in the project, is of the utmost important and something we all in our student life pay the least amount of time to.

Ciao and Have a good one.............:)

shailendra
December 5th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Hullo!?! Calling Huston...are you there!

I am just checking in (and wondering) how the submission went and if my comments were of any help at all...

Either way, hope you were able to resolve everything and had a terrific time infront of the Design jury!

mansi1218
December 6th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Thanx a lot...it really helped me as i was really blank ..didnt know wat 2 do in my site..never imagined landscape cud be tough Creating mounds was a nice idea as i can't provide water bodies coz of maintenance problem and it took me many days 2 create outdoor spaces 4 seating...but dat was a gud exercise as i realised how these outdoor spaces r made so beautiful by using different types of shrubs/pergolas/planters n all...but im still unable 2 get d feel of d space...need 2 improve a lot in dis subject...dunno if its in d 4th n 5th yr or not:confused: my exam is on 13th...pray 4 me pls!
Thanx!!

mansi1218
December 6th, 2005, 05:19 PM
d submission was supposed 2 b 2day but as usual our sir didnt come.. n knw wat...
Raj Rewal is comin 4 our T.O.D. external jury....V r assigned a foreign architect n an Indian architect n Raj Rewal is my Indian architect :o Hope he doesnt c any change in his philosophies while seein my sheets.