PDA

View Full Version : How to recognize a "STROKE"

captmanjeet
December 10th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Hi all,
I got this mail from one of my school mates. i thought sharing with u all.May be it can make a difference to someone's life.

The below message is a beautiful piece of medical fact.The points given here
are 100% true.It might take u guys 2 mins to read the entire

passage but it is really worth it.

So plzzzzz go throu.It might help u sometime.

.................................................. .......

Health - Recognizing a stroke!

Maybe you are in perfect Health to bother about this. But then, you may have
an opportunity to save a family member, friend or stranger.

During a outdoor dinner at a seaside resort near Chennai, a friend stumbled
and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine

and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned
up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit

shaken up, Lakshmi (name changed) went about enjoying herself the rest of
the evening.

Her husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to
the hospital - (at 6:00 pm, Lakshmi passed away). She had suffered a

stroke at the dinner- had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke
perhaps Lakshmi would be alive today.

It only takes a minute to read this:

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he
can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the

trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed and getting to the patient
within 3 hours which is tough. There is nothing more life saving

than getting the patient to the hospital in the FIRST ONE HOUR! The Golden
Hour it is now known as to Doctors and emergency attendents

alike!

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Remember the "3" steps. Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the
lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim

may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of
a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple
questions:

1. *Ask the individual to SMILE.

2. *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

3. *Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . . It is
sunny out today). If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks,

call emergency immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify
facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the
general public to learn the three questions. Widespread use of this test
could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent
brain damage.

spdeshwal
December 10th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks Captain Manjeet for sharing this most valuable information with the members!

"Maybe you are in perfect Health to bother about this. But then, you may have
an opportunity to save a family member, friend or stranger".

Your observation is 100% correct Captain. Many a time the victim or the people around don,t realise the gravity of the situation due to lack of the knowledge about the common symptoms as explained in your post. I would like to share with members two separate incidents where my friends and relatives were involved.

In first incident, elder brother of my friend who is in early sixties and had been a very healthy person through out his life. He recently suffered a stroke but kept repeating that he was fine and set aside any suggestions of a heart stroke. Even after admitted in icu, he would,t believe that he had suffered a massive stroke.

In the second incident, my young nephew who is 25 years old and generally very healthy, suffered a stroke. No one in the family believed untill all the tests were carried out and got confirmed that he had suffered a stoke.

So my point is that this deadly desease cut across all the age groups and physical conditions whether young, middle aged or old; tall, short, slim or over weight. Therefore, everyone should be aware of the symptoms.

keshavdahiya
December 10th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Well capt thanx for this valuable info. but some times the stroke is really bad and u dont c these symptoms, any way u provided us with a valuable info.
keep pouring in more mails like that.
Cheers

raj2rif
December 10th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Dear Capt Sahrawat,

Thanks a lot for sharing this valuable information with the community. Having sufferred a strok myself in 2002, I can contribute a little to this thread.

I used to have some kind of sensation in my lefthand for almost a month. There used to be very minor pain also in my left hand going down to the wrist area. some times. But having been a sportsman for most of my life, I thought nothing will happen to me. Actually, I hated to go to doctors or hospitals. While in the army, my personal recipe for treating the fever was to play a game of Basketball. Let me confess, it worked for me most of the time. So here we were in 2002. I did play competitive volleyball till the time I took premature retirement. Having come to US, the sweat that used to come out of body stopped, and worries to raise children in an alien world took priority over physical exercises. With no change in eating habit and the attitude of mine of preferring NIKHDU DUDH over skim milk further helped in deteriorating my health I guess. Plenty of Desi Ghee had been my preferrence all my life and it continued till that fateful day.

I used to work on a tread mill that I had purchased. Usually I used to do 3.5 miles an hour speed walk but that day I decided to do it 5 miles an hour to test my own stamina. My body was not responding to the speed I had set, but my will power was. I did it for 27 minutes when the body took over the mind and I had to stop. I sat down on a chair and was blacked out totally for a fraction of second. Still not recoginzing the danger, I went to take shower in absolutely cold water. When I came out of shower, I was sweating like I was coming out of a swimming pool. I wiped my body number of times, but the sweat continued for a while. I lied down on my bed to relax thinking I over did my exercises. My son helped me a little by pressing the aching part of my body. I started having some chest pain that originated from the chest and was going down the left hand. At this time I suspected some thing serious (mind you, more than one hour had passed by now) I called the insurance company for the procedure to go to hospital. No one was available at 7 am. I then called my Primary care phycisian, who advised me to call 911 ASAP. I did that and fortunately within 5 minutes ambulance came. I was taken to the hospital. While travelling to hospital, the pain was extremely severe and I was sinking. The doctors found that one of my artiry was blocked to 99 % at the top which probably resulted in to this stroke. The doctor later told me that I was fortunate to be there just in time for had it been for another 5 minutes I would have been history. I can recollect the sinking feeling I was having while in the ambulance as well as at the operation table. They opened my artiry with balooning and I am doing fine now. I walk every day about 4 miles in an hour, but no treadmill, I do it outside.

One of my friend I was told, was not as lucky as I was. He died in Indonesia in a traffic jam while being takent to hospital. Thus recognizing the stroke symptoms and getting to help in time is critical. I would say time is the critical thing in all aspects of our life.

devdahiya
December 10th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Bhai Manjeet it was indeed a very useful post. Thanks for sharing it out here.

captmanjeet
December 12th, 2005, 11:39 AM
As my signature says"good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement"
I too have a bad experience of not recognizing a stroke and then repenting on loosing the valuable time.so let this does not happen again with us.
capt manjeet

keshavdahiya
June 3rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
I wud request the ADMIN to transfer this post in Health and fitness section.....

http://photos.hi5.com/0001/117/387/GCJK2K117387-02.jpg

krishankundu
June 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Hi all,
I got this mail from one of my school mates. i thought sharing with u all.May be it can make a difference to someone's life.

The below message is a beautiful piece of medical fact.The points given here
are 100% true.It might take u guys 2 mins to read the entire

passage but it is really worth it.

So plzzzzz go throu.It might help u sometime.

.................................................. .......

Health - Recognizing a stroke!

Maybe you are in perfect Health to bother about this. But then, you may have
an opportunity to save a family member, friend or stranger.

During a outdoor dinner at a seaside resort near Chennai, a friend stumbled
and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine

and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned
up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit

shaken up, Lakshmi (name changed) went about enjoying herself the rest of
the evening.

Her husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to
the hospital - (at 6:00 pm, Lakshmi passed away). She had suffered a

stroke at the dinner- had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke
perhaps Lakshmi would be alive today.

It only takes a minute to read this:

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he
can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the

trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed and getting to the patient
within 3 hours which is tough. There is nothing more life saving

than getting the patient to the hospital in the FIRST ONE HOUR! The Golden
Hour it is now known as to Doctors and emergency attendents

alike!

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Remember the "3" steps. Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the
lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim

may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of
a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple
questions:

1. *Ask the individual to SMILE.

2. *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

3. *Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . . It is
sunny out today). If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks,

call emergency immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify
facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the
general public to learn the three questions. Widespread use of this test
could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent
brain damage.

thanks captain manjeet , its really helpfull information i would also want to share some more information on this topic.

chhillar
June 3rd, 2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks, Manjeet...how is everything else going?

yashmalik
June 5th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Thanx capt. Manjeet. Really very informative

lalit_nashier
June 5th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I wud request the ADMIN to transfer this post in Health and fitness section.....

http://photos.hi5.com/0001/117/387/GCJK2K117387-02.jpg

Thanks for info.........

lalit nashier

viveksiwatch
June 6th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Dear Mr Tevathia:

I just stumbled onto this thread and since I don't follow these threads regularly, kindly excuse my late response.

I believe from what you have outlined, yours was a case of engina/ MI (Myocardial Infraction)--depending on whether there was a damage to your heart tissue (MI or heart attack as its widely known is caused due to the deprival of oxygen to heart tissue when an artery is blocked). Luckily, your symptoms were brought under control by an angioplasty. However the basic thread I believe deals with strokes related to the brain (which can undergo an irreversible damage if blood does not reach some part of it for a given period of time, typically 180 seconds, this oxygen deprival causes the symptoms of a stroke). Although the underlying cause is still a clot, yours was related to the the functioning of the heart.

None the less, it was an important piece of information that you have shared.

regards,

~Vivek

Dear Capt Sahrawat,

Thanks a lot for sharing this valuable information with the community. Having sufferred a strok myself in 2002, I can contribute a little to this thread.

I used to have some kind of sensation in my lefthand for almost a month. There used to be very minor pain also in my left hand going down to the wrist area. some times. But having been a sportsman for most of my life, I thought nothing will happen to me. Actually, I hated to go to doctors or hospitals. While in the army, my personal recipe for treating the fever was to play a game of Basketball. Let me confess, it worked for me most of the time. So here we were in 2002. I did play competitive volleyball till the time I took premature retirement. Having come to US, the sweat that used to come out of body stopped, and worries to raise children in an alien world took priority over physical exercises. With no change in eating habit and the attitude of mine of preferring NIKHDU DUDH over skim milk further helped in deteriorating my health I guess. Plenty of Desi Ghee had been my preferrence all my life and it continued till that fateful day.

I used to work on a tread mill that I had purchased. Usually I used to do 3.5 miles an hour speed walk but that day I decided to do it 5 miles an hour to test my own stamina. My body was not responding to the speed I had set, but my will power was. I did it for 27 minutes when the body took over the mind and I had to stop. I sat down on a chair and was blacked out totally for a fraction of second. Still not recoginzing the danger, I went to take shower in absolutely cold water. When I came out of shower, I was sweating like I was coming out of a swimming pool. I wiped my body number of times, but the sweat continued for a while. I lied down on my bed to relax thinking I over did my exercises. My son helped me a little by pressing the aching part of my body. I started having some chest pain that originated from the chest and was going down the left hand. At this time I suspected some thing serious (mind you, more than one hour had passed by now) I called the insurance company for the procedure to go to hospital. No one was available at 7 am. I then called my Primary care phycisian, who advised me to call 911 ASAP. I did that and fortunately within 5 minutes ambulance came. I was taken to the hospital. While travelling to hospital, the pain was extremely severe and I was sinking. The doctors found that one of my artiry was blocked to 99 % at the top which probably resulted in to this stroke. The doctor later told me that I was fortunate to be there just in time for had it been for another 5 minutes I would have been history. I can recollect the sinking feeling I was having while in the ambulance as well as at the operation table. They opened my artiry with balooning and I am doing fine now. I walk every day about 4 miles in an hour, but no treadmill, I do it outside.

One of my friend I was told, was not as lucky as I was. He died in Indonesia in a traffic jam while being takent to hospital. Thus recognizing the stroke symptoms and getting to help in time is critical. I would say time is the critical thing in all aspects of our life.

manu14
June 6th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Dear Mr Tevathia:

I just stumbled onto this thread and since I don't follow these threads regularly, kindly excuse my late response.

I believe from what you have outlined, yours was a case of engina/ MI (Myocardial Infraction)--depending on whether there was a damage to your heart tissue (MI or heart attack as its widely known is caused due to the deprival of oxygen to heart tissue when an artery is blocked). Luckily, your symptoms were brought under control by an angioplasty. However the basic thread I believe deals with strokes related to the brain (which can undergo an irreversible damage if blood does not reach some part of it for a given period of time, typically 180 seconds, this oxygen deprival causes the symptoms of a stroke). Although the underlying cause is still a clot, yours was related to the the functioning of the heart.

None the less, it was an important piece of information that you have shared.

regards,

~Vivek

absolutely right mr siwach
tewetia sirs was tellin about heart attack (MI) this is also a serious emergency n fatality can occur but is preventable if tackled in time
n
the other one was cva cerebro vascular accident cause may trauma or injury, sudden rise in bp in a already weak cerebral blood vessel or in a vessel which has a aneurysm (an outpouching in the blood vessel) etc etc etc
though its a wide topic
nice compilation
n in signs or those three pts to recognise the condition which were written
examination of pupils (in eyes) their rxn to light may help in diagnosis

we once infact diagnosed it in a pt. in casualty by examining eyes (pupillary rxn) it.. as the pt. was under the influence of alcohol n was not giving any history of trauma
though later found out that he fell once & his head hit some brick on the ground after drinking

very nice thread
more important n much preventable if tackled in time is heart attack / angina / MI, if recognised early n effective CPR is given the recovry can be 100% else death can occur

nice if some body can touch upon that also n jat bhais can get benifitted

ritu
June 24th, 2006, 06:26 AM
now we know enough on this topic 2 posts on same page of health section

manu14
June 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM
ha ha ha
making fun of the posts maam ....memebers kindly see before posting same post same script in both same message ...dekho maam ne pakkad liyaa cut paste stuff

anywyas was too good nice information passed .
chaudhary madam wht i said above was we must learn more about MI which is more important to know as u can save a sure shot fatality/death

i never said aak stroke doobaara padhaa doo

mothsara1st
July 25th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Really critical piece of information for critical situation