PDA

View Full Version : Need help with job search

vishaldagar
January 11th, 2003, 02:45 AM
Hi All,
I just joined jatland.com. This is a great attempt to bring the community closer.
I need some help with job search. I just completed(December 2002) my MBA(marketing,IS) from University of Maryland, COllege Park,MD. Prior to that I have two years of experience from reputed firms in Delhi. My undergrad degree is BE Electronics and Telecom from Delhi College of Engineering.
I am anxious to find a job because it seems that without contacts here nobody notices your resume posted at the websites.
If someone can help me finding contacts for a marketing related job in hi-tech firms, it would be great help.
Thanks.
Vishal Dagar

urmiladuhan
January 11th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Have you tried talking to your professors who taught you during your MBA degree?
They usually are resourceful.

anurag
January 11th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Hi Vishal,

You have rightly said that placements in the US are a function of your networking. You can start the networking part from you schools alumni database, that is the best way to connect to people in the corporate environment.

Waise where and in what field did you do you internship?

-Anurag

vishal chaudhary (Jan 10, 2003 04:15 p.m.):
Hi All,
I just joined jatland.com. This is a great attempt to bring the community closer.
I need some help with job search. I just completed(December 2002) my MBA(marketing,IS) from University of Maryland, COllege Park,MD. Prior to that I have two years of experience from reputed firms in Delhi. My undergrad degree is BE Electronics and Telecom from Delhi College of Engineering.
I am anxious to find a job because it seems that without contacts here nobody notices your resume posted at the websites.
If someone can help me finding contacts for a marketing related job in hi-tech firms, it would be great help.
Thanks.
Vishal Dagar

vivek
January 15th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Vishal...looking for a job is a full time job. Remember, the object of your resume is to get to first step...that is a job interview. Human resource personnel get thousands of resumes. Even if you are a MIT grad...chances are that you will be overlooked. Most fortune 500 companies scan the resume with computers. So make sure you resume that you send to these companies has all the code words in your industry. Your other object is to get noticed with the resume. I went to a job finding seminar and paid $1500 for this advice. You may have all the credentials...but what if it doesn't get noticed. Some people have used oversized resume paper...(high quality). Some use fancy covers etc etc... Half the people may not like what you put down...but the other half might...which is a lot better than not getting noticed at all. The object is to get noticed in the resume...Also make sure no grammatical or spelling errors.

Further, write letters to authoratative figures in your field...do not ask them for a job outright...but say that you admire their work, and you are looking for their advice on how to further your career etc. You want to become their 'chela' and also have them looking for a job for you. People never refuse mentoring enthusiastic young students. Good luck....

BTW, I work at a unique waste water treatment plant (land application), and we hire two engineering students every summer...so those interested contact me.

ishwarlamba
January 15th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Vishal,
1. I have friend Rajvir Singh in bay area USA, one of most successful in our comunity. He funded Roorke University to become IIT Roorke.
Contact him on rajfiber@aol.com, quote my name.
2. Also contact Raj Sirohi President of HCL America on rsirohi@hcltech.com, quote my name.

best of luck

Ishwar Lamba

dine
January 15th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Dear Vishal
Adding further to importance of resume by Vivek, I am writing some more points which I hope may be helpful.
It is important that your application is tailored to each employer rather than simply being a "one size fits all" document.
What skills and qualities, both technical and transferable, have you devloped are relevant to the needs of employer?
Your written application is a one min 'commercial' to convince others of your abilities to solve their problems.
It is important to describe your qualities and experiences in a personalised way that reflects your individuality.
For online applications, use strong action oriented language, particularly words that relate to the key skills or qualities that the employer is seeking.

vishaldagar
January 15th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks!!! I have been doing that. Infact I am working on a contract job because my professor(of couse an Indian) was much impressed with my Research Assistantship with him and he recommended me to the firm.
But he is the only worth contact I have in the school. If you (or anyone else you might be knowing) could get me a few good contacts in marketing/IT combination job, it would be great. And thanks again.

Urmila (Jan 10, 2003 06:14 p.m.):
Have you tried talking to your professors who taught you during your MBA degree?
They usually are resourceful.

vishaldagar
January 15th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Thanks for your reply. I have tried that route. It has not been very useful as such because first of all not many people respond to your requests and secondly most of the alumni is either in finance or government kind of jobs. But still I am on the lookout.
I did my internship in marketing with National Academy Press. It was about pricing e-contect while minimizing the cannibalization of exisitng print book sale. It involved setting up an online experiment and conducting an online survey to assess the price sensitivities of different segments of respondents. Because of my engineerign background, I am quite confortable with variour software languages and tools.
If you do come across any suitable opportunity, please let me know.
Thanks again.

Anurag Kadyan (Jan 10, 2003 08:34 p.m.):
Hi Vishal,

You have rightly said that placements in the US are a function of your networking. You can start the networking part from you schools alumni database, that is the best way to connect to people in the corporate environment.

Waise where and in what field did you do you internship?

-Anurag

vishal chaudhary (Jan 10, 2003 04:15 p.m.):
Hi All,
Thanks.
Vishal Dagar

vishaldagar
January 15th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Dear Vivek and Dinesh,
Thanks to you both. You have driven home the point. I shall heed to your advice. I have been all along utilizing the services of my career center to have an impactful resume. I do use the keywords and action oriented stuff in the resume.
I liked your advice to contact high profile people in my field of interest. I had been doing that but on very low level. I shall intensify my efforts.

Thanks to you both and if you guys come across some opportunity that might fit my profile, please let me know.

Vivek Singh Tomar (Jan 14, 2003 06:43 p.m.):
Vishal...looking for a job is a full time job. Remember, the object of your resume is to get to first step...that is a job interview. Human resource personnel get thousands of resumes. Even if you are a MIT grad...chances are that you will be overlooked. Most fortune 500 companies scan the resume with computers. So make sure you resume that you send to these companies has all the code words in your industry. Your other object is to get noticed with the resume. I went to a job finding seminar and paid $1500 for this advice. You may have all the credentials...but what if it doesn't get noticed. Some people have used oversized resume paper...(high quality). Some use fancy covers etc etc... Half the people may not like what you put down...but the other half might...which is a lot better than not getting noticed at all. The object is to get noticed in the resume...Also make sure no grammatical or spelling errors.

Further, write letters to authoratative figures in your field...do not ask them for a job outright...but say that you admire their work, and you are looking for their advice on how to further your career etc. You want to become their 'chela' and also have them looking for a job for you. People never refuse mentoring enthusiastic young students. Good luck....

BTW, I work at a unique waste water treatment plant (land application), and we hire two engineering students every summer...so those interested contact me.