PDA

View Full Version : Another Interesting loophole in Windows

vinodks
December 15th, 2005, 09:18 PM
BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!!!!!

An Indian discovered that nobody can't create a folder in the PC or anywhere named as "con"

This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened!
Try to do it and know.

-vinod

arunshamli
December 15th, 2005, 09:51 PM
BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!!!!!

An Indian discovered that nobody can't create a folder in the PC or anywhere named as "con"

This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened!
Try to do it and know.

-vinod

Vinod, There are many more words which can not be used to create the folder name such as prn,lpt1 , lpt2 and many more. I dont think it is a bug and many people are aware of this.

These words has special meaning in computer world and I think they(microsoft) thought of avoiding them. however there are ways to create folders with these name but why would some one want to do something which is not supported by the os manufaturers?

vinodks
December 15th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Oh I got this in an email... and thought it's cool... but I guess its pretty common...

-vinod

Vinod, There are many more words which can not be used to create the folder name such as prn,lpt1 , lpt2 and many more. I dont think it is a bug and many people are aware of this.

These words has special meaning in computer world and I think they(microsoft) thought of avoiding them. however there are ways to create folders with these name but why would some one want to do something which is not supported by the os manufaturers?

jitensheoran
December 16th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Bhaiyo,

The fact is, these are reserved names in DOS (and the heritage is being carried over to windows :-)) given for devices.These are DOS devices. Were very useful in DOS 1.0 era. PRN was used to send the O/p directly to Printer, CON for sending to Screen and Nul just not to send anywhere. The legacy is continued as many batch files even today rely on these.

But these can be created by:-
mkdir \\.\c:\con (file://\\.\c:\con) in command prompt.
This will create folder CON in c: drive.

Cheers,
Jiten

lalit_nashier
February 15th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Now tell me how to delete it.

try it...

December 16th, 2005 04:25 AM jitensheoran Bhaiyo,

The fact is, these are reserved names in DOS (and the heritage is being carried over to windows :-)) given for devices.These are DOS devices. Were very useful in DOS 1.0 era. PRN was used to send the O/p directly to Printer, CON for sending to Screen and Nul just not to send anywhere. The legacy is continued as many batch files even today rely on these.

But these can be created by:-
mkdir \\.\c:\con in command prompt.
This will create folder CON in c: drive.

Cheers,
Jiten

anjalit
February 17th, 2006, 10:05 PM
interesting

anjalit
February 17th, 2006, 10:27 PM
very informative!

amanmalik
February 18th, 2006, 02:03 AM
good post.