PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Help for Australian Education......

choudharysaaab
December 30th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Jai ram ji ki sab ko......

This is Hemant,......well, I am back after a long time. But this time I am not replying to any post rather looking for suggestions from elder members.
What I want to say is that, I want to come to Australia for my Ph.D., when I will come this year or next I don't know. Though I am having an unconditional offer from the University of Melbourne to work on protein structure prediction but I'm not offered IPRS (International Postgraduate Research Scholarships) for my studies there. And, still waiting for outcomes of few other scholarships.
Now the query comes here...I got this admission after my continuous efforts, discussing with the professor for around 8 months and so on; since the area is really good and demanding hence I do not want to lose it. Since I am not offered any scholarship till date, I am thinking to join some coursework program for 1 year duration and while going through the course I would be in regular contact with the concerned professor there in the University of Melbourne. If this year I do not get any scholarship next year again I can apply. You may put a question that what is the guarantee for scholarship next year. I am not having it's exact answer... but to say... it would be upto me, how I perform and how much efforts I give with proper approach there. I will also be having ample chances to contact and discuss needs of many other profs and my ability to fulfil them in different universities, hence in the coming year my chances of getting a Ph.D. offer with scholarship will increase subsequently, I guess.
I have selected the course which is in the same department, but again the problem of funding arises here. I do not know anybody personally there to ask how people (of course students!) manage their expenditure specially their living expenditure. I can apply for bank loan to afford my one years stay in Australia, but I'm still in dilemma; should I take this step, you know very well that having a loan worth 12-14 lac is how much risky. It's also not fair with my papa who is retiring next year. I know my constraints and my limitations but sill having hope and I want to have you kind suggestions from your experience regarding its feasibility. Will I be able to support my living expenses by pat time job there? if you answer is yes then I would like to know upto how much extent?

positivelook
December 31st, 2005, 08:28 AM
Hello Hemant

Well as u have written here abt ur scholarship and all this course so i wanna say that it is ur personal choice whether u wanna go for which course. Now comes to ur query abt part time job and all so yes students here get part time job and most of them cover their expenditure by their own and some of them also cover their fee as well. But it all depends on urself how much work u can do and how much courage u have. So if it only upto living expenses i dont think u will find amy problem to cover tht up but in case of fee u have to work hard and study as well. So i think i have cleared ur query upto some extent.

Abhimanyu Phougat

choudharysaaab
January 2nd, 2006, 09:28 PM
Thank you Abhimanyu!

Well...I'll put few more queries as it come to me later :)