PDA

View Full Version : How to get a job

ishwarlamba
February 26th, 2003, 07:48 AM
I did Masters in Mathematic from PU Chandigarh and then Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Science from IIT Delhi in 1971. In those there were few computer centres in Delhi. To get a job as a computer programmer was very dificult. In RK Puram there was computer centre of CSO. I asked a friend to help me to get a job there, he said our director is a South Indian and u cannot get a job.
I was a very confident young boy after passing from the IIT Delhi. Next day I went to CSO and gave a paper with my name & qualification to the peon and told him I want to meet Dr Rao, the director of the computer centre. After meeting Dr Rao, he told me to sit in the library and said after 30 minutes I will take to Dr Rao.
When I met Dr, I told him I looking for computer programming work.
He said u are a educated person and should know we take people only through UPSC, this a Govt Department. He said sorry, I cannot help you. Chapter was closed.
Idea came to my mind and I said sir look, I come from a village, my father never went to school, my mother never went to school. Tell me after passing from IIT, what I should do in my village.
Some how these words touched Dr Rao. He said I am very pleased your performance, but I cannot pay you. I said I am taking tutions here in RK Puram, I not asking for money, I want only computer programming work.
He said then u will ask for experience certificate. I said no, I have IIT certificate.
He said I very very happy with u, go and see my deputy director Mr Taneja. Tell him to contact me.
I went to see Mr Taneja and told him Dr Rao has asked me to see u. He telephoned Dr Rao and said sir Mr is here with me.
When he put down the phone, said our director
wants u to join us from coming Monday.
He said we pay Rs10 a day.
I was very happy.
I went home and saw a interview letter from
Dept of Atomic Energy, Mumbai.
I telephoned Mr Taneja and asked him an extension of a week. I was selected for a class I job in Bombay, where I started my career.
I will always be thankful to Dr Rao.

O young Jat community "Never Never Never Give Up". U are not in Army, no body is killing your body and mind, only U and only your ego is against U. please do not find faults with others. It is not going to help.
Also u have to find your own Dr Rao.
Best of luck

uday
February 26th, 2003, 10:46 AM
An inspiring story to all of us...

Vikas Dabas & other freshers must read it !!!

sansanwalamit
February 26th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Very inspiring Lamba uncle,
especially what you said about finding faults in others ...infact I personally think that my generation has this trait of finding faults before looking within.....we do not look whether we worked hard enough or not but when it comes to getting something and if we do not get it we find faults in others....stories of people like you teach me a lot and inspire me to walk in the right direction especially in a time when I do not see a figure like you in person around me ......
Thank you, please carry on this noble job and be an inspiration to souls like us and believe me we will never ever forget it ....

ompati
February 27th, 2003, 05:15 AM
A true inspiration for our youngesters.

kharub
February 27th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Lamba Uncle,

We certainly acknowledge the hard work and persistence of our elders.
It is because of hard working people like you and my father, with a will to achieve and succed in life, that we are now sitting in comfortable houses in cities and have all the modern luxuries of life.

But i promise you that we will keep the struggle started by your generation going, because i pesonally believe our community has still got a long way to go.

And with a strong will and determination we will get there and help other as well.

I remember now that when i was in high school and my mother used to shout at me to study, my dad always used to tell her, "you can take a horse to water , but you can not make him drink it." at that time i did not know or wnat to now the meaning of those words but now i firmly believe that- WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS AWAY.

VJ Kharub