PDA

View Full Version : Did We Forget?

raj2rif
January 11th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Today is 40th death anniversary of one of our most loved prime minister Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri. I was surprised to see that not even a line is mentioned on Times of India web paper. We are too keen to discuss Bollywood Heroines or the Cricketers, but not the peers of our Democracy.

I am still unable to figure out as to why did I cried so much on 11 Jan 1966 when we heard the news on Radio that Shastri Ji had died at Tashkand.

In a short span of time, Shastri Ji, gave the practical solution to our shortage of food problem by asking the nation skipping Monday Evening meal so that poor could get some thing to eat. It was amazing to see the Nation responding to his call in letter and spirit. How many PM's can get this kind of response? He also brought in the Green Revolution in the country which made us independent on foreign food aid/imports.

He also taught the lesson of Geography to the Pak Rulars that the same road that leads from Lahore to Amritsar, also leads from Amritsar to Lahore. Who can forget his quick and sound decision making in Sep 1965.

I really don't know how many foundations we have in the country on his name? There are number of them though about the Nehru family.

On this day I pay my homage to the great leader of our nation Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri Ji.

One thing I still wonder, as to how much popular he would have become if he had not died? For the blunder of handing over the Hazi Pir Pass to Pakistan after winning it in a very hard fought battle whould have haunted him for rest of his life and political career. It is still a mistry to me as to how could the National Diplomats and the Defense Strategists could have agreed to handing over the Pass back to Pakistan.

Any way, he had been my favorite PM till date. I wish more politicians can follow his principles.

devdahiya
January 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Virendra sir, thanks for reminding us all of this important but still a painful date. Shastri ji was a real son of soil and was rightly called GUDDADI KA LAL. His simplicity would never find parallels in the history of India. Also, as he was a true promoter of Kisan's cause Jats loved him and identified themselves with him. I salute this Deshbhakt prime minister and a Sajjan purush.

jagmohan
January 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Tavathia Sir,

I did remember Shastri Ji yesterday and said two words of prayer for him.

How could I forget that day in Delhi when I was just 7 years. I was sitting on my father's shoulders holding his head and trying to catch a glimpse of Shastri Ji when his mortal remains were being taken on the gun carriage for last rights. I am sure it was the 1965 war motivated me to join the 'Fauj'. My village is on GT Road and I remember Aircrafts flying and soldiers going to the border. Villagers used to rush sugarcane, Lassi and Food whenever convoys went past.

If I remember correctly there is a Shastri memorial in Delhi. His sons did join different political parties and have been ministers too. But it looks as though the nation has forgotten him. How sad.

Regards,

JS Malik

mukeshkumar007
January 12th, 2006, 10:10 AM
it is pity said that people and media almost forgotten to a great prime minister who gave us lot of proudly moments. He was really a great human being and great leader too. Our leader should learn something from him. He is my favorite pm after Indira Gandhi.

spdeshwal
January 12th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Therefore, it is neccessary to know your history.

Sumeet you were not borne when Shastri ji become Prime Minister. You wouldn't understand what effect it had on common masses. He came from very ordinary backround.His success was success of every ordinary citizen.
Some of the decisions taken by him and his government would show that he was not an ordinary politician but a leader of sound integrity and character.

I know you didn't mean to compare him literally with Hitler.

As Tevethia Sahab said his call for skipping a meal had an electifying effect. I was just seven that time and followed that practice for months.
And the day of his Demise( 11-01-66) was a day of personal tragdy in my whole village. Only few households had Transister than. Everyone would gether at one place to listen to the news and about their favrourite leader.

It is sad that not many of us remembered him.
Col. Sahab, thanks for starting this thread and giving us a chance to pay tribute to the great sole. Long live 'Lal bahadur'! Jai Hind!

Sateypal

rkumar
January 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM
There is no doubt that Shastri Ji was a great leader and man from ground. His solutions were very Indian and need of the day. Jai Jawan Jai Kisan brough whole nation together to fight the food shortage and develop our military strength. Its unfortunate that India lost him so early. Another great tragedy followed just few days after Shastri's death. India lost Homi Bhabha also on 15th Janaury 1965. If I remember correctly, India lost 5 very senior Army officers also in a Helicoptor crash during the same week. It was a period of great national tragedy. Shastri Ji had close association with our area. He spent lot of time in our villages during Freedom movement, collecting cotton. he spent many months in Village Balwa, at the residence of a prominent local Gujjar. Our entire area wept on his death.

Rajendra

pragati
January 13th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Virendra Ji
Thank you so much for reminding the day...
i really like your article & specially the words you have chosen...

raj2rif
January 14th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Virendra Ji
Thank you so much for reminding the day...
i really like your article & specially the words you have chosen...

Dear Pragti,
Thanks a lot for encouragement.