PDA

View Full Version : IAS 2003 Results

ishwarlamba
May 2nd, 2003, 08:10 AM
As IAS/ Allied services 2003 results are out,
can some body, please put the names of all jats selected in the merit list. Also if you can get their email addresses also.
It will be so nice of you
Regards
Ishwar

ishwarlamba
May 9th, 2003, 08:43 AM
IAS tips from Mr Ankur Garg the topper in 2003

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030509/punjab1.htm#9

Topper lays stress on self-study
Jangveer Singh
Tribune News Service

Patiala, May 8
Ankur Garg, a 22 year-old resident of Patiala, who did his schooling from Lady of Fatima School in the city and his intermediate from Mohindra College, besides being a student of IIT, Delhi, before taking the IAS examination and clearing it in his first attempt, is one of the youngest students ever to clear such examination. In an exclusive interview he talks about his “dream” and how it was realised, besides a piece of advice for those studying for the civil services.

Q When did you first think of the IAS?

A When I was in class III, I self-consciously started preparing for the examination. I had kept myself up to date with my surroundings by reading newspapers. However, I started preparing seriously for the examination only during my last year of graduation in IIT, Delhi.

Q What was your parents’ role?

A My father (who is a doctor serving in the Government Rajindra hospital) inspired me to aspire for the IAS. He explained intricacies and challenges one had to face to make civil services a career goal. My family stood behind me throughout my preparation.

Q What was the basic criterion for selecting your subjects for the main examination?

A I chose physics and chemistry because of my keen interest in the two subjects, my competence in them and my engineering background.

Q When did you start your actual preparations for the preliminary exam?

A I had 10 days to devote exclusively to the preliminary examination. This was just after my final examination in IIT, Delhi. I decided to concentrate exclusively on my subject — physics because each question of the optional subject carries two and a half marks compared to one mark awarded for each correct question answered in the general studies paper. Besides this I was confident of doing well in general studies because I had kept myself abreast of national and international events throughout. I went through Brilliant’s notes for physics as it was the most concise available study material in physics.

Q What do you think is the ideal self-study or guidance or a combination of both?

A I feel the ideal position is hundred per cent self study. But alongwith this one must have a good teacher at hand to whom one can turn for guidance whenever required. However, there is no substitute for self-study. For the main examination I was under the guidance of Mr Vinod Sharma who has been my source of inspiration and stength throughout. Whenever I was in doubt I used to go to him and whenever he had any special subject in mind he used to call me.

Q Any special preparation for the interview?

A In my frank opinion you cannot prepare for the interview, which reflects your personality. It had been developing during the past 20 years or so, therefore you cannot change it in three months in any way. However, one can ask seniors and friends about some obvious shortcomings which can be corrected somewhat. I feel coaching by institutes in the department only makes one more self-conscious.

Q Any magic mantra for sure success?

A I can only subscribe to the conventially accepted definition of good preparation. This is sincere and single-minded devotion, belief in your efforts, faith in God and good wishes of parents, teachers and friends. If you have all these success is assured. As far as the steps I took I feel reading two newspapers a day (Ankur read The Hindu, The Economic Times and The Tribune) is necessary. besides this I feel my IIT background helped me because I feel IIT institutions are designed not only for academic excellence but developing overall personality. I learned the ability to think rationally, work in a team mode, solving each problem step by step. Besides this, the atmosphere of competition amongst the best brains in the country honed my intellectual skills to the maximum.

akdabas
May 10th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Uncle Ji,

Nameste !

Thank you very much for posting this informative and educative post. I think this is a good information for Jatland memebers.

regadrs,

mbamal
May 10th, 2003, 04:39 AM
lamba uncle...

i know of one jat..

amit kataria...182...also frm IIT delhi

ishwarlamba
May 12th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Congratulations for Amit Kataria for selection to IAS.
Mandeep Beta, can I get email of this jat boy.
Like Amit and u, I am also a old guy from IITD.

----------------------

Mandeep Bamal (May 09, 2003 07:09 p.m.):
lamba uncle...

i know of one jat..

amit kataria...182...also frm IIT delhi

amitshokeen
May 12th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Amit kataria is younger brother of My childhood freind . Amit was showed his great talent in early ages. He won many scholarships.
I am proud of him.
Like that Gupta he had a traget to become IAS when he was in class 10. such was his interest that he used to read BA history books in in 10 class.A very sincere guy

mbamal
May 12th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Amit is very right...
I have known him for last 4 yrs since he was my senior and we were in same hostel.
amit is a very intelligent and down to earth guy and the latest I heard about him that he is going to take IAS examination again to get a better rank..My best wishes for him...

his email is amitkataria@hotmail.com...I am not very sure abt this..i did not have any contact with him for last 7-8 months

jaatni
May 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM
congratulations to Amit Kataria!!!