View Full Version : Jat role model: Raj Singh

anujkumar
May 12th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Age 53
Place of Birth Idrishpur village in Meerut district, Uttar Pradesh

Residence Los Altos, CA

Family Wife Swadesh and daughters Mona, Rachna and Shinu

Came to the U.S. March, 1980

Education BE(electrical), Roorkee University, 1968; post graduate diploma in applied mathematics, IIT, Delhi, 1970; MSCS, University of Minnesota, 1981

First job Sub-Lieutenant, Indian Navy, 1968

Companies started InterHDL, Automata Publishing; Advance Logic; Fiberlane (split into Cerent and Siara); Stratumone Communications; Roshnee Corp.; Redwood Venture Partners (VC firm) and Redwood Corp. (incubator for telecom/internet infrastructure startups)

Year did an IPO None

Year became millionaire 1995

Favorite charity Education

Lifetime goals Improve education in India to masses

Net worth

Philosophy of life Don’t do something that hurts others

Most inspired by Suhas Patil, Atiq Raza, Vinod Khosla

Most excited by Anything new that is mysterious

Most expensive thing ever bought House in Los Altos

Raj Singh has journeyed a long way in a life that began in Idrispur, a village near Meerut in Uttar Pradesh, about 54 years ago. Singh’s upbringing as the son of a farmer could explain his hard-driving yet simple and down-to-earth philosophy on life and his considerable successes. His background may have also taught him something about risk.

He says that “continuous dreaming of the future, dedication to work, being persistent and passionate about the enterprise,” are some of the reasons that he is successful, as well as, even more importantly, the advantage of having “worked in startups for people like Suhas Patil, Atiq Raza and VCs like Vinod Khosla.”

The young man who once contemplated dedicating his life to the Indian Navy is now a partner with Redwood Venture Partners. With the sale of his companies Siara, Cerent and Stratum One, Singh made close to $300 million in 1999.

After completing his education in India, he began his career as an engineer for the Libyan Electricity Corp. In 1980, he moved to the United States to study computer technology at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.

Then, in 1981, he moved where every would-be technology mogul should: Silicon Valley. In December of that year, he joined several startups, one of which was NexGen, a microprocessor company later purchased by Advanced Micro Devices.

It was not until 1996, however, that he founded the company that would catapult him to his greatest success to date, Fiberlane Communications. By focusing on wide area networks when others were pursuing local area networks, Singh addressed a crucial niche, ensuring that the company that was started with $250,000 from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers caught the eye of other investors, like Advanced Fibvver Communications and Integral Capital Partners.

In 1998, Fiberlane was split into two separate entities. One, Cerent Corp., would focus on TDM multiplexors, whereas the other, Siara Systems, would add IP routing capabilities for those multiplexors.

This busy father of three is poised to take another company to the top. His latest venture is Roshni Corp., whose focus is the optical networking market. His busy and highly successful career might be the reason he says that he has little free time. When he’s able to make time, though, he likes to spend it socializing with friends.

He credits a large part of his success to taking risks and working with people who are smarter than him and by “not micromanaging but empowering your subordinates.”

Source - www.videsee.com

rkumar
May 12th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Most impressive. My hearty congratulations to Bhai Raj Singh. I am proud of him in many ways..We are alumini of the same Roorkee University, from the same western UP.. I am not sure if Shri Raj Singh has the time to read messages at Jatland, but I am sure he will seriously think over contributing something for the education in rural ares. I am putting all my life's earnings into education for our rural boys and girls. I am sure even 1% from Bhai Raj Singh will go a long way..Hope Bhai Raj Singh will take note of this and do something.

Regards
Rajendra

vikramsingh24
May 12th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Ajay, Thanks for posting this message.

I feel kind of ignorant - heard quite a lot about him but am surprised as well as pleased to know that such a highly accomplished JAT personality lives in my neighborhood!!

Really…He has done a very impressive and inspiring work setting a great standard for the young JAT community. Hope will have the opportunity to meet him some day.

Vikram

vikramsingh24
May 12th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Anuj, Thanks for posting this message.

I feel kind of ignorant - heard quite a lot about him but am surprised as well as pleased to know that such a highly accomplished JAT personality lives in my neighborhood!!

Really…He has done a very impressive and inspiring work setting a great standard for the young JAT community. Hope will have the opportunity to meet him some day.

Vikram

singh_ranvir
May 12th, 2003, 01:56 PM
thanks for posting the message

nice milestone for coming generation, and inspiring for the hard work with dedication and interest,

congratulations to Raj and wish more great success in life !

ishwarlamba
May 13th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Rajvir is also a film producer in Hollywood and he has released a couple of movies.
Hence he is the first Jat Venture Capitalist and film producer director in USA.

ssahlawat
May 13th, 2003, 11:21 AM
It is high time to think of community and you are the leader. Congrats for the success story and struggle.
sajjan

akdabas
May 13th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Great inspiring News !

He credits a large part of his success to taking risks and working with people who are smarter than him and by “not micromanaging but empowering your subordinates.”

sweet
May 16th, 2003, 11:41 AM
really very inspiring........................

cheers..................

ajaynehra
May 18th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Realy Great info and a matter of feeling Proud ....

Best of Luck to Respected Singh ....

NEHRA AJAY

dhiraj
May 26th, 2003, 05:07 PM
definately he is a great inspiration for all of us
me must realise a journey must not reach to the destination...in other words it should not have one..

dahiya
June 5th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Hi Anuj

Thanks for giving great information about our inspiring elder.

O.P.Dahiya

arjun
June 12th, 2003, 03:34 PM
wow !

sanjay_dhaka
July 5th, 2004, 12:20 PM
thanks dear anuj for sharing this knowledgeable thing and i want to know the address of bhai Raj Singh or email id of bhai Rajsingh,
Anuj can you tell me that what is the address of Bhai Rajsingh or Email id of Bhai Rajsingh
or any other person can tell me the address of BHAI Rajsingh

thanks to all Jat Bhaio

ishwarlamba
July 6th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Dear Sanjay,
I have emailed u the email of Rajvir Singh.
It looks u are from Meerut.
Rajvir is from village Idreshpur near Bhola Ki Jhal in Meerut
U can meet his family.
regards
---------------------------

Sanjay Singh Dhaka (Jul 05, 2004 02:50 a.m.):
thanks dear anuj for sharing this knowledgeable thing and i want to know the address of bhai Raj Singh or email id of bhai Rajsingh,
Anuj can you tell me that what is the address of Bhai Rajsingh or Email id of Bhai Rajsingh
or any other person can tell me the address of BHAI Rajsingh

thanks to all Jat Bhaio

sandeepk
July 6th, 2004, 09:13 PM
i would say that we should learn something from his success. he will be a big inspiration for generations to come.he is a really great jat.

ishwarlamba
July 7th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Dear Sandeep,
U are right
Raj has made 1000 people as Milianiors in Silicon Valley
Amar Ujala newspaper reporter visited his native village took interview of his aprents
wrote with a heading "Arabpatiyo aur Kharbpatio ko mat denewala Raj Singh".
His mother said "Lala Ne badi chalank lagai"

regards
Ishwar Lamba
--------------------------------------------
i would say that we should learn something from his success. he will be a big inspiration for generations to come.he is a really great jat.[/quote]

anilkc
July 7th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Can someone convince Mr. Raj Singh to become member of jatland and share his insight into his success ?

ishwarlamba
July 8th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Anil Ji,
When I visited USA, both Raj Singh and Raj Sirohi both became members of Jatland.
I asked Raj Sirohi to send the details, he mailed and I posted it.
But they are not contributing.
Time will come when they will
I could also speek to Mr Pradeep Sindhu on phone. He is also very successful in Silicon Valley.
regards
-------------------------------------------
Can someone convince Mr. Raj Singh to become member of jatland and share his insight into his success ?[/quote]

anilkc
July 8th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks!

alkesh
July 14th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Hi all,

Just read this posting. Out of touch. just moved and than left on long vacation.

Both Raj bhaisaheb are very good friend of ours.Raj ( sirohi) bhai saheb is in India since March with very hectic schedule with his new role. and Rajbir ( he is not Raj) bhaishaheb is in NY busy in new movie. His last movie was Leela, shot in LA.I don't know whether it was release in India or not. If not seen, grab a movie and look for him with white hair wearing white stripped shirt standing with Swadesh. they are there in 3-4 scenes as well as Mrs Raj Sirohi in the dance song on the stage.

Anyway, i can't write more personal info about them, but surely i will convey all your jat bhai's message to both the families.

As well as Mahima goes, read my old posting. Another good friend of ours here in bay area is her relative and i have met her personally...sorry guys too much. get to go....

buy now!

Anil: you might have met both Raj bhaisheb on Anu's b'day party, when you were here.

sanjay_dhaka
July 16th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Ram Ram Ji,
No, Doubt Raj Singh is an Eminant Personality in our community and he wants to do something in education field for jats. and Hon'ble sh. Ishwar Singh ji a right person to do this thing. so, i request to sh. Ishwar singh to do this noble work.

thanking you
Sanjay Dhaka