PDA

View Full Version : Have guts to answer it ???

vijay
January 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Hi all
I have an interesting and logical question for you. Can you answer it ?

You are at a place where there are two gates (darwaza). One gate opens to heaven and other for hell.
you don't know exactly which gate opens for heaven or hell. There is a gaurd for each gate.
The gaurds are special characters. One of the gaurds always speak the truth and the other always speak lie. ( Ek sacha ek jhutha ) .
You are supposed to ask one question to anyone of them ( Only one question ). Depending on his answer you have to decide which gate you are going to enter and it must be gate to heaven.
The solution depends on the question you are going to put up to anyone of the gaurds. You should smart enough to think about the question ?

What should be the question ? Which gate you would like to enter after his answer ?

Hey not easy but not a rocket science ? You should be logical and witty.
Anybody ??????????????????

sunilchhikara
January 21st, 2006, 12:03 PM
Hi all

You are at a place where there are two gates (darwaza). One gate opens to heaven and other for hell.
you don't know exactly which gate opens for heaven or hell. There is a gaurd for each gate.
The gaurds are special characters. One of the gaurds always speak the truth and the other always speak lie. ( Ek sacha ek jhutha ) .
You are supposed to ask one question to anyone of them ( Only one question ). Depending on his answer you have to decide which gate you are going to enter and it must be gate to heaven.
The solution depends on the question you are going to put up to anyone of the gaurds. You should smart enough to think about the question ?

What should be the question ? Which gate you would like to enter after his answer ?

HI VIJAY,
Nice question yaar, but make sure the gaurd not should be a wife of the person who is asking question. Aur javab milai hell kai darwaza ka hahahahahahaha.................................... LOL

vijay
January 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM
Thanx

But the each gaurd is answerable to one question only. No second question ?

arunshamli
January 21st, 2006, 05:07 PM
you have to ask this question to anyone of the gaurds:
"If I ask the other gaurd which door goes to heaven what would he say?"
and where he points that door will go to hell, so choose another door.

Hi all

bijnore-se
January 25th, 2006, 01:17 AM
arun if u thought of this question( or solution for tht matter) yourself.. i m very impressed!

fool4love
January 25th, 2006, 02:57 AM
you have to ask this question to anyone of the gaurds:
"If I ask the other gaurd which door goes to heaven what would he say?"
and where he points that door will go to hell, so choose another door.

arun bhai... im not sure if..we know which guard always lies.. or which always says the truth!... or do we know vijay bhai ?
if we do know.. then its simple!

arunshamli
January 25th, 2006, 03:45 AM
arun bhai... im not sure if..we know which guard always lies.. or which always says the truth!... or do we know vijay bhai ?
if we do know.. then its simple!

isme double negative hai....thoda dhayn do ....samajhe me aa jayega...fir bhee nahi aaye toh email me...I can explain.....

arunshamli
January 25th, 2006, 03:52 AM
arun if u thought of this question( or solution for tht matter) yourself.. i m very impressed!
:)

this kind of questions are common in technical interviews ....and I had read similar puzzles before....is type ke ek do puzzle sovle karoge toh fir easy lagne lagta hai....nothing special:cool:

fool4love
January 25th, 2006, 04:06 AM
:confused: :confused: koni aaya ib bee:confused: :confused:
isme double negative hai....thoda dhayn do ....samajhe me aa jayega...fir bhee nahi aaye toh email me...I can explain.....

devdahiya
January 25th, 2006, 07:42 AM
EK CONSTANT,EK VARIABLE.....Arun is right.

arunshamli
January 25th, 2006, 07:44 AM
:confused: :confused: koni aaya ib bee:confused: :confused:

case 1. you are talking to the one who always speaks the truth.

you are going to ask him
"If I ask the other guy which door goes to heaven what would he say?"
yahan par sachche aadmi se question pucha gaya ek jhuthe ke bare me....ab jhutha hamesha galat answer dega...so when asked which door goes to heaven , he will always tell the door which goes to hell. so the first guy ( sach bolne wala) will point to the door which goes to hell...q ki jhuth bolne wala yahi answer dega.
So in this case you get the wrong answer.

case 2.
you are talking to the one who never speaks the truth.
you are going to ask him

yahan par jhuth bolne wale se pucha gaya hai ke sach bolne wala kya kahega. ab sach bolne wala sahi wale door kee taraf point karega. lekin ye jhuth bolne wala yahan bhee ulta answer dega. jo door sache wale ne bataya hoga , ye uska ulta batayega..sach bolne wala swarg batayega...lekin ye uska ulta karke batayega...aurr narak wale door kee taraf point karega....

in both the cases, you get the wrong answer. so you choose the other door if you want to go to heaven.

ib samajh me aaya akk nahi....:cool:

keshavdahiya
January 25th, 2006, 07:50 AM

masterji konya aaya.....:D:D:D
hahaha.........it was technical problem lekin kayi chakar kha ke pad ge the
gr8 stuff and gr8 explanation
thanx

fool4love
January 25th, 2006, 08:07 AM

you are going to ask him
yahan par sachche aadmi se question pucha gaya ek jhuthe ke bare me....ab jhutha hamesha galat answer dega...so when asked which door goes to heaven , he will always tell the door which goes to hell. so the first guy ( sach bolne wala) will point to the door which goes to hell...q ki jhuth bolne wala yahi answer dega.

case 2.
you are going to ask him

yahan par jhuth bolne wale se pucha gaya hai ke sach bolne wala kya kahega. ab sach bolne wala sahi wale door kee taraf point karega. lekin ye jhuth bolne wala yahan bhee ulta answer dega. jo door sache wale ne bataya hoga , ye uska ulta batayega..sach bolne wala swarg batayega...lekin ye uska ulta karke batayega...aurr narak wale door kee taraf point karega....

in both the cases, you get the wrong answer. so you choose the other door if you want to go to heaven.

jama..tod kar diya bhaiii.... jai maane upar jaa ke isaa time dekhna par gaya.. to bhai mai to nu kahunga.." ji mane question poochan tain pahelan..ik baar...arun ji tain baat kar len do" kbc mai to 3 hove sain helpline.. maine thaam ik e de do!!!

thnx bro.. i truely appreciate it! :)

vijay
January 25th, 2006, 11:04 AM

you are going to ask him

case 2.
you are going to ask him

Hi Arun,

Great. Good answer and good explanation too.

Kamal bhai umeed hai apko samajh aa gaya hoga.

Thank you all guys for the response.

I wll appreciate if anybody want to ask more questions like this.

Cheers !

arunshamli
January 28th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I wll appreciate if anybody want to ask more questions like this.

A person was captured by a tribe whose chief decided that the man should die. The chief was a logical person and he gave the man a chance. The person has to make a single statement. and if the statement was true he will be thrown over a high cliff. If it was false he would be eaten by lion.

The man made a statement and the chief had to let him go. What did he say?

rekharathee
January 29th, 2006, 06:07 PM
A person was captured by a tribe whose chief decided that the man should die. The chief was a logical person and he gave the man a chance. The person has to make a single statement. and if the statement was true he will be thrown over a high cliff. If it was false he would be eaten by lion.

Arun sir,

aapne to dimag ki ghanti baja di

arunshamli
February 1st, 2006, 06:39 AM
Arun sir,

aapne to dimag ki ghanti baja di

He said "I will be eaten by the lions."

vijay
February 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
You Don't have a watch.
You are provided with a 7 minutes hourglass and a 11 minutes hourglass.
How do you get exact 15 minutes from them ???

anilsangwan
February 2nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Let me try to ans this:

Start both 7 Minute and 11 Minute hour glasses together. Once 7 min hourglass is fully run, 11 Min hourglass will have sand equivalent to 4 Mins...Start counting now..Once 4 Mins are over, turn 11 Mins hourglass....so total 4 + 11 = 15 Mins...

Vijay bhai, baat banni ki nahi?

You Don't have a watch.
You are provided with a 7 minutes hourglass and a 11 minutes hourglass.
How do you get exact 15 minutes from them ???

vijay
February 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Let me try to ans this:

Start both 7 Minute and 11 Minute hour glasses together. Once 7 min hourglass is fully run, 11 Min hourglass will have sand equivalent to 4 Mins...Start counting now..Once 4 Mins are over, turn 11 Mins hourglass....so total 4 + 11 = 15 Mins...

Vijay bhai, baat banni ki nahi?

Anil bhai baat nahi bani abhi tak.

Explanation is uncpomplete. You said 11 min hourglass have sand equivalent to 4 mins...start counting. What we do with 7 min hourglass and why we turn 11 min hourglass again. Is 11 min hourglass can wait without pouring sand ? That doesn't make sense.

Well, approach is good but we didn't get desired result still.

WELL TRY ANIL !

anilsangwan
February 2nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Bhai tenne to poonjh marod dee mere answer ki...

You said 11 min hourglass have sand equivalent to 4 mins...start counting. What we do with 7 min hourglass?

ANS: 7 min waale ko pada rehan do ebb. Iska kaam sirf 4 min tak pahoonchaana tha.

and why we turn 11 min hourglass again.

ANS: Once we measure 4 mins above...we need only 11 mins...which we can get just by turning the 11 mins hourglass so that its full again and can run for 11 mins...

Is 11 min hourglass can wait without pouring sand ?

Bera na bhai tu k keh gya is line mein...mere bhai Q ne pher tein padh ek be...aur menne bataye huye steps follow karo...

HOPE EBB KE TO SAMAJH MEIN AA GEE HOGI MERE BHAI....

Cheers
Anil

Anil bhai baat nahi bani abhi tak.

Explanation is uncpomplete. and why we turn 11 min hourglass again.That doesn't make sense.

Well, approach is good but we didn't get desired result still.

WELL TRY ANIL !

vijay
February 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Bhai tenne to poonjh marod dee mere answer ki...

You said 11 min hourglass have sand equivalent to 4 mins...start counting. What we do with 7 min hourglass?

ANS: 7 min waale ko pada rehan do ebb. Iska kaam sirf 4 min tak pahoonchaana tha.

and why we turn 11 min hourglass again.

ANS: Once we measure 4 mins above...we need only 11 mins...which we can get just by turning the 11 mins hourglass so that its full again and can run for 11 mins...

Is 11 min hourglass can wait without pouring sand ?

Bera na bhai tu k keh gya is line mein...mere bhai Q ne pher tein padh ek be...aur menne bataye huye steps follow karo...

HOPE EBB KE TO SAMAJH MEIN AA GEE HOGI MERE BHAI....

Cheers
Anil

Anil bhai,

I appreciate your good efforts but why should we waste first seven precious minutes ? :) :)

arunshamli
February 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Anil bhai,

I appreciate your good efforts but why should we waste first seven precious minutes ? :) :)

1. start both 7 and 11 min hourglass, after 7 min the big hourglass will have send equivalent of 4 min. we have measured 7 min.

2. Start the smalller hourglass again. after 4 more min, the bigger one will be completly done and the smaller hourglass will have send equivallent of 3 min. we have measured 7+4=11 min at this point.

3. Now reverse the smaller hourglass( it had 3 min on one side and 4 on the other side). it will be completly done in 4 min. and the total time will be 7+4+4=15

vijay
February 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
1. start both 7 and 11 min hourglass, after 7 min the big hourglass will have send equivalent of 4 min. we have measured 7 min.

2. Start the smalller hourglass again. after 4 more min, the bigger one will be completly done and the smaller hourglass will have send equivallent of 3 min. we have measured 7+4=11 min at this point.

3. Now reverse the smaller hourglass( it had 3 min on one side and 4 on the other side). it will be completly done in 4 min. and the total time will be 7+4+4=15

Yes, Arun you are right. What Anil was doing was near to it but he was wasting first 7 minutes.

Anil bhai got it now.

Well done Arun.

vijay
February 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
I have one more like this.

How can you measure 4 litres of liquid using a 3 litres and a 5 litres containers. ?

vijay
February 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM
No Answer ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

arunshamli
February 4th, 2006, 08:38 PM
No Answer ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bhai Vijay,

This was the simplest of all the puzzle you have asked. and I thought let someone else try it. but, lagta hai ke JAT log is thread ki taraf kam hee aate hain...sher-o-shayri and history me busy hain;)

1. 3 litter wale ko bhar ke 5 wale me daal do.
2. 3 litter wale fo fir se bhar ke 5 wale me tab tak dalo jab tak ke 5 wala bhar na jaye. ab 3 litter wale me 1 litter hai aur 5 wala full hai
3. ab 5 litter wale ko khali karke usme 3 litter ka sara pani dal do. ab 5 wale me 1 litter hai and 3 wala khali.
4. 3 wale ko fir se bahr ke 5 wale me dal do ...ab 5 wale me 4 litter hai.

vijay
February 4th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Bhai Vijay,

This was the simplest of all the puzzle you have asked. and I thought let someone else try it. but, lagta hai ke JAT log is thread ki taraf kam hee aate hain...sher-o-shayri and history me busy hain;)

1. 3 litter wale ko bhar ke 5 wale me daal do.
2. 3 litter wale fo fir se bhar ke 5 wale me tab tak dalo jab tak ke 5 wala bhar na jaye. ab 3 litter wale me 1 litter hai aur 5 wala full hai
3. ab 5 litter wale ko khali karke usme 3 litter ka sara pani dal do. ab 5 wale me 1 litter hai and 3 wala khali.
4. 3 wale ko fir se bahr ke 5 wale me dal do ...ab 5 wale me 4 litter hai.

You are right Arun,
Jats seems busy in other sections that's why i started asking simple ones.
Right answer.

vijay
February 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Ok one more.

They are two persons. They both born on the same day of the same month of the same year to the same parents. What is their relationship ?

hey they are not twins ?

vijay
February 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Ok one more.

They are two persons. They both born on the same day of the same month of the same year to the same parents. What is their relationship ?

hey they are not twins ?

I am dissapointed that nobody answered that ?

Ok, Lemme answer it.

Thay are two of a set of triplets ( or quads, or quins etc. ).

Got it !

vijay
February 7th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Well, now a simple one. Hope answerable !

A lady said' " In my family, each girl has an equal number of brothers and sisters, but each boy has twice as many sisters as brothers."

So, how many sisters and brothers are in her family ?

arunshamli
February 7th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Well, now a simple one. Hope answerable !

A lady said' " In my family, each girl has an equal number of brothers and sisters, but each boy has twice as many sisters as brothers."

So, how many sisters and brothers are in her family ?

Is it 4G and 3B?

vijay
February 7th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Is it 4G and 3B?

Good Arun, i was the simplest one !

vijay
February 7th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Another one !

If i multiply the two digits of a number, then add ninetenn and multiply the digits again, the answer is one less than the number i originally started with.

What is the number i originally thought of ?

arunshamli
February 8th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Another one !

If i multiply the two digits of a number, then add ninetenn and multiply the digits again, the answer is one less than the number i originally started with.

What is the number i originally thought of ?

My answer in c++.;)

void MagicNumber()
{
for(int a = 1 ; a < 10 ; a++)
{
for (int b = 0 ; b < 10 ; b++)
{
int originalNumber = 10*a + b;
int newNumber = a*b + 19;
int x = newNumber/10;
int y = newNumber - 10*x;
if ( (originalNumber-1) == (x*y))
cout << originalNumber;
}
}
}

vijay
February 8th, 2006, 11:49 PM
My answer in c++.;)

void MagicNumber()
{
for(int a = 1 ; a < 10 ; a++)
{
for (int b = 0 ; b < 10 ; b++)
{
int originalNumber = 10*a + b;
int newNumber = a*b + 19;
int x = newNumber/10;
int y = newNumber - 10*x;
if ( (originalNumber-1) == (x*y))
cout << originalNumber;
}
}
}

Hi Arun,

The way you answered here seems a puzzle as you know everybody here is not a software engineer or programmer. But i am a programmer and very good in C/C++ indeed. Your answer is wrong. It is showing some garbage value after compiling and executing.

Be honest man, i respect your intellect.

If you can write the whole code here than why don't you just write the exact number here.

It seems more logical. :) :)

arunshamli
February 9th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Hi Arun,

The way you answered here seems a puzzle as you know everybody here is not a software engineer or programmer. But i am a programmer and very good in C/C++ indeed. Your answer is wrong. It is showing some garbage value after compiling and executing.

Be honest man, i respect your intellect.

If you can write the whole code here than why don't you just write the exact number here.

It seems more logical. :) :)

Vijay, I was just teasing...and only a few people come to this thread.
In some other thread you had mentiond you are a c/c++ guy and thats why I had posted the c++ code. just to have some fun. But.....anyway...:)

Ok, now what is wrong in the code? email me at arun_shamli@yahoo.com
it should print the number 10 and nothing else. Is 10 the wrong answer?

vijay
February 9th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Vijay, I was just teasing...and only a few people come to this thread.
In some other thread you had mentiond you are a c/c++ guy and thats why I had posted the c++ code. just to have some fun. But.....anyway...:)

Ok, now what is wrong in the code? email me at arun_shamli@yahoo.com
it should print the number 10 and nothing else. Is 10 the wrong answer?

Hi Arun,

I am glad to hear such a honest answer and believe me i really expected that from you. GREAT.

Well i am sorry that i didn't have much time to analyse the code literally but there is some error in your core. It shows -12 in my computer after compling and executing. Please check it again.

But, hey you are right
Answer is 10.

You are good Arun.

Cheers !

vijay
February 9th, 2006, 04:49 AM
OK next one

Farmer A and Farmer B had adjoining lands. farmer A had a peacock, which used to wonder on both farmer A's and farmer B's fields.

One day farmer B found an egg on his fields and farmer A claimed that the egg was his because the bird was his. Farmer B, on the other hand, claimed that the egg was his simply because it was laid on his land.

So, who is right and why ?

amitguliya
February 9th, 2006, 05:32 AM
OK next one

Farmer A and Farmer B had adjoining lands. farmer A had a peacock, which used to wonder on both farmer A's and farmer B's fields.

One day farmer B found an egg on his fields and farmer A claimed that the egg was his because the bird was his. Farmer B, on the other hand, claimed that the egg was his simply because it was laid on his land.

So, who is right and why ?

Hi. Just saw this thread.
Nice to see such a thread amongst all other threads going on.

By the way does peacock or peahen lays egg ?? :)

vijay
February 9th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Hi. Just saw this thread.
Nice to see such a thread amongst all other threads going on.

By the way does peacock or peahen lays egg ?? :)

Well, Amit nice to see you here.

The answer is that farmer B's claim seems logical becoz the egg was found on his fields.

Farmer A's claim is irrelevent becoz Peacocks doesn't lay off eggs !

vijay
February 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Next one !

Which floor is above the floor below the floor, below the floor above the floor, below the floor above the 5th floor ?

arunshamli
February 9th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Well, Amit nice to see you here.

The answer is that farmer B's claim seems logical becoz the egg was found on his fields.

Farmer A's claim is irrelevent becoz Peacocks doesn't lay off eggs !

hmmmm....ib samajh me aaya yu mor dosre ke khet me k len ja kare thaa.;) ;)

waise cliam toh pahale wale aadmi ka bhee sahi hai...akhirkar bachon per baap kaa bhee toh hak banta hai:D ;)

par Vijai is next wali puzzle ne toh ghuma diye bilkul..floor above the floor ...below the floor...:confused:

amitguliya
February 9th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Next one !

Which floor is above the floor below the floor, below the floor above the floor, below the floor above the 5th floor ?

is it ground floor ?? :confused:

vijay
February 9th, 2006, 07:49 PM
is it ground floor ?? :confused:

Sorry Amit, very poor guess ! :) :) :)

vijay
February 10th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Next one !

Dissappointing ! Still no answer.

Where are the intelligent guys ?

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Next one !

The correct answer is 6th floor.

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Next !

A peson fell down a 30 feet dry well. A rope is there to climb up. But the climb isn't easy. Each minute he manages to climb 3 feet - but slips back 2 feet.

How long it will take him to get out ?

neetu21
February 12th, 2006, 05:31 PM
The person will take 28 minutes to climb up.

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 05:50 PM
The person will take 28 minutes to climb up.

Well done Neetu,

Correct answer !

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 06:03 PM
One more ! :)

All the member of a club agreed to contribute equally to collect an amount of Rs. 2040/-for a party. But before the money was collected , four members resigned from membership of the club. Thus leaving the remaining members to pay an extra Rs. 17/- each.

How many members did the Club originally have ?

neetu21
February 12th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Answer is: 24 members were originally in the club.

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM

Sorry double click !

Right answer !

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM

Right answer !

arunshamli
February 12th, 2006, 08:20 PM
One more ! :)

All the member of a club agreed to contribute equally to collect an amount of Rs. 2040/-for a party. But before the money was collected , four members resigned from membership of the club. Thus leaving the remaining members to pay an extra Rs. 17/- each.

How many members did the Club originally have ?

lekin itne sare question mile kahan se bhai?:)

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Another one !

What is the minimum number of moves a Rook ( Hathi ) needs to make in order to pass over all the squares on the chess board and then return to its original square ?

( Hint : A Rook ( Hathi ) can move any number of squares forward, backward or sideways, but not diagonally. )

arunshamli
February 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Another one !

What is the minimum number of moves a Rook ( Hathi ) needs to make in order to pass over all the squares on the chess board and then return to its original square ?

( Hint : A Rook ( Hathi ) can move any number of squares forward, backward or sideways, but not diagonally. )

does the starting positon matter? Do we have to start from a specific position.

Is 64 moves the correct answer?

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM
does the starting positon matter? Do we have to start from a specific position.

Is 64 moves the correct answer?

Hi Arun, starting positon doesn't matter. But u have to decide from where u can start and go through all the squares in minimum moves and return back to ur starting position.

Hey Arun bhai, i didn't expected such a poor guess from you ( 64 moves ? How many squares are there on a chess board ?)

You have to do that in minimum possible moves. Got it ?

arunshamli
February 12th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Hi Arun, starting positon doesn't matter. But u have to decide from where u can start and go through all the squares in minimum moves and return back to ur starting position.

Hey Arun bhai, i didn't expected such a poor guess from you ( 64 moves ? How many squares are there on a chess board ?)

You have to do that in minimum possible moves. Got it ?

I thought it will have to move one square at a time. how about 16? Is it close enough to the right answer?

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I thought it will have to move one square at a time. how about 16? Is it close enough to the right answer?

Please don't try to guess Arun bhai, come with a solid solution.
You should be confident enough that u can do it in X moves and u will start from X square and how u will move on the chess board ?:) :) :)

arunshamli
February 12th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Please don't try to guess Arun bhai, come with a solid solution.
You should be confident enough that u can do it in X moves and u will start from X square and how u will move on the chess board ?:) :) :)

yar woh mera solid solution hee thaa....starting from the first square....I am not able to do it in less than 16 moves.

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 10:25 PM
yar woh mera solid solution hee thaa....starting from the first square....I am not able to do it in less than 16 moves.

Ok Arun, Write down your 16 moves and lemme check it.

I think u know how to write chess moves.
Every square have a specific name
Staring from left bottom square A1 going upwards A2, A3... upto A8.
Second column is B, third C upto H. Got it ?

arunshamli
February 12th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Ok Arun, Write down your 16 moves and lemme check it.

I think u know how to write chess moves.
Every square have a specific name
Staring from left bottom square A1 going upwards A2, A3... upto A8.
Second column is B, third C upto H. Got it ?
A1-A8
A8-B8
B8-B2
B2-C2
C2-C8
C8-D8
D8-D2
D2-E2
E2-E8
E8-F8
F8-F2
F2-G2
G2-G8
G8-H8
H8-H1
H1-A1

neetu21
February 12th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Hey Vijay, i agree with Arun.My answer is coming to be 16 moves, and this time i am very confident to write the answer!!

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Hey Vijay, i agree with Arun.My answer is coming to be 16 moves, and this time i am very confident to write the answer!!

Good Neetu, keep it up !

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 10:59 PM
A1-A8
A8-B8
B8-B2
B2-C2
C2-C8
C8-D8
D8-D2
D2-E2
E2-E8
E8-F8
F8-F2
F2-G2
G2-G8
G8-H8
H8-H1
H1-A1

GREAT ! Arun, you are right. Minimum moves are 16.
I have another solution for that . Check it.

I will start from D4.

1. D4-H4
2. H4-H8
3. H8-A8
4. A8-A1
5. A1-H1
6. H1-H7
7. H7-B7
8. B7-B2
9. B2-G2
10. G2-G6
11. G6-C6
12. C6-C3
13. C3-F3
14. F3-F5
15. F5-D5
16. D5-D4

vijay
February 12th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Next !

A man reached police station to report his missing son.
Policeman asked, "What is the age of your son ?"
Man replied, "His age is 9 and a half yeas plus half of his own age":confused: :confused: :confused:

What is the age of the missing person ?

arunshamli
February 13th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Next !

Man replied, "His age is 9 and a half yeas plus half of his own age":confused: :confused: :confused:

The answer is 19.

Let me ask a question this time.

5 people have 100 gold coin to split among themsleves. They came up with a solution to divide the coins. the most senior memeber will propose a divison and everyone votes on it. if 50% or more member votes in favor of the proposal they will divide the coin that way, if not they kill the senior member and start all over agian and the most senior surviving member will have to propose the solution and they vote by the same rules, eithe divide the coins or kill the senior memeber,as the case may be. this process continues util one plan is accepted.

If You are the senior member ,What plan do you propose? your own vote will also count. everybody in the gang is extremly logical, greedy and they all want to live.)

neetu21
February 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Next !

first solution to Vijay's question:

Let the age of boy be X years.
Now as given in the question, his age is 91/2 years plus half of his age,i.e. X/2 years.
So, X= 19/2 + X/2
solving this, v get X=19 years.

neetu21
February 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Let me ask a question this time.

5 people have 100 gold coin to split among themsleves. They came up with a solution to divide the coins. the most senior memeber will propose a divison and everyone votes on it. if 50% or more member votes in favor of the proposal they will divide the coin that way, if not they kill the senior member and start all over agian and the most senior surviving member will have to propose the solution and they vote by the same rules, eithe divide the coins or kill the senior memeber,as the case may be. this process continues util one plan is accepted.

If You are the senior member ,What plan do you propose? your own vote will also count. everybody in the gang is extremly logical, greedy and they all want to live.)

Follwing is my solution scheme for ur problem.Please check it and tell me if i m right or wrong:

Lets number the persons from N1 to N5----N1 being the juniormost and N5 being the seniormost....
In the riddle,its given that these people are very very greedy and logical too......
So what the N5 can do.....Here is my answer.........
Lets apply induction.

Case1: only one person.
If there is only one person,then he will have all the share.

Case2: two persons
let it be N1 and N2.In this case N2 would want to take all the coins,and he has 50% votes (his own vote) for
doing this. This way N1 won't be getting anything.

Case3: three persons
let it be N1,N2, and N3.So in this case N3 needs support of one more member.N2 wont support him,as he knows that if he is able to get rid of N3,then only two persons will be left and he will be at gain(see case2).So N3 would lure N1 for 1 gold coin.since each of them is extremely greedy and logical,so N1 would think that 1 coin is better than nothing,so he would accept his offer.In this way,N3 will have 99 coins,N2 will have none and N1 will have 1.

Case4: four persons
Let it be N4,N3,N2,and N1. then N4 needs support of at least one member. But he wont get it from N3 (from case3) and recursively from N1. So the only person left is N2. Again, N4 will have 99coins,and N2 will have 1.

Case5: five persons
N5 needs at least 2 more people on his side,to get his plan proposed......If we think logically,like them, we know that N4 would want to kill N5,since he is the next seniormost.......So he will lure N3 with one coin.N3 knows that if N4 comes,he won't get anything,so he accepts that deal...Next comes N2...Now he also would want to kill N5,since he would get advantage then...So the one that will be left is N1.The N5 person can share 1 more coin with N1.

So the solution scheme can be:
Person# No. of coins
N5 98
N4 0
N3 1
N2 0
N1 1

Similarly, there can be more solutions,(if N5 is less greedy),then
Person# No. of coins OR
N5 97 97
N4 0 0
N3 2 1
N2 0 0
N1 1 2

vijay
February 13th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Well, excellent home work Neetu.

Arun, kya khayal hai ?

arunshamli
February 13th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Well, excellent home work Neetu.

Arun, kya khayal hai ?

Bilkul sahi jawab Neetu.....there can be many solutions but the first one is more accurate. remember we said they all are extremly greedy:)

devdahiya
February 13th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Let me also give out a riddle:

There are Three newly married couples.They decide to go for a picnic across the river.When they reached this side of the River bank....they found a notice saying," Dear honey mooners welcome!.......There is boat lying next to the board and if you want to cross the river then pay attention to the conditions carefully.....:

1] There will be no person to assist you in help sail the boat...u have to do it yourself.
2] Only two people can travel at a time in this boat.
3] No two or more women be left with one man any where ie neither on the either bank nor on sail.
4] No lady should be allowed to travel with a man....other than her husband.

How will they cross the river safely and happily?

vijay
February 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Let me also give out a riddle:

There are Three newly married couples.They decide to go for a picnic across the river.When they reached this side of the River bank....they found a notice saying," Dear honey mooners welcome!.......There is boat lying next to the board and if you want to cross the river then pay attention to the conditions carefully.....:

1] There will be no person to assist you in help sail the boat...u have to do it yourself.
2] Only two people can travel at a time in this boat.
3] No two or more women be left with one man any where ie neither on the either bank nor on sail.
4] No lady should be allowed to travel with a man....other than her husband.

How will they cross the river safely and happily?

Welcome Dev sir here !

Im hope i understood it right.
I solved it in two different methods. But posting only one.

On left there are couples AM and AF, BM and BF, CM and CF.
First AM and AF goes across the river.
AM stays there AF comes back.
Now AF and BF goes across the river
AF stays there and BF comes back
Now BM and BF goes across the river
BM stays there and BF comes back
Now CM and CF goes across the river
Both stays there and BM comes back
Now BM and BF goes across

DONE SIR ?

devdahiya
February 13th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Welcome Dev sir here !

Im hope i understood it right.
I solved it in two different methods. But posting only one.

On left there are couples AM and AF, BM and BF, CM and CF.
AM stays there AF comes back.
Now AF and BF goes across the river
AF stays there and BF comes back
Now BM and BF goes across the river
BM stays there and BF comes back
Now CM and CF goes across the river
Both stays there and BM comes back
Now BM and BF goes across

DONE SIR ?

Vijay good try but no you are not right.......Check line seven of your solution...ie BM stayes there and BF comes back.....When BF reaches on CM+ CF side....This CM idiot has two females at his disposal....havn't you handed over a ROSAGULLA to him? Ha...ha..ha.

arunshamli
February 13th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Vijay good try but no you are not right.......Check line seven of your solution...ie BM stayes there and BF comes back.....When BF reaches on CM+ CF side....This CM idiot has two females at his disposal....havn't you handed over a ROSAGULLA to him? Ha...ha..ha.
Let me also try...

assuming there name are AH-AW , BH-BW and CH-CW

1. AW and BW goes
2. AW comes back
3. AW and CW goes
4. AW comes back
5. BH and CH goes
6. BH and BW comes back
7. AH and BH goes
8. CW comes back( now all the ladies on one side and the husband on the other side)
9. CW and AW goes
10. Cw comes back
11. CW and BW goes

chakkar ghane toh nee hoge dikkhe...

amandahiya
February 14th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Let me also try...

assuming there name are AH-AW , BH-BW and CH-CW

1. AW and BW goes
2. AW comes back
3. AW and CW goes
4. AW comes back
5. BH and CH goes
6. BH and BW comes back
7. AH and BH goes
8. CW comes back( now all the ladies on one side and the husband on the other side)
9. CW and AW goes
10. Cw comes back
11. CW and BW goes

chakkar ghane toh nee hoge dikkhe...

Dear Arun check your 5th and 6th line, CH is otherside with his wife as well as AW..
Nice try

arunshamli
February 14th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Dear Arun check your 5th and 6th line, CH is otherside with his wife as well as AW..
Nice try

Are you sure????

vijay
February 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Dev sir, sorry i got it wrong !
Ok. here is my solution.

On left there are three couples AM and AF, BM and BF, CM and CF.

(BM, BF,CM,CF on left and AM,AF on right )
Now AM comes back.
(AM,BM,BF,CM,CF on left and AF on right)
Now BF and CF goes across the river
(All Males on right and all Females on right)
Now AF comes back
(AM,BM,CM AF on left and BF,CF on right)
Now BM and CM goes across the river
(AM,AF on left and BM,BF,CM,CF on right)
Now BM and BF comes back
(AM,AF,BM,BF on left and CM,CF on right
Now AM and BM goes across the river
(AF,BF on left and AM,BM,CM,CF on right)
Now CF comes back
(All Females on left and all Males on right)
Now BF and CF goes across the river
(AF on left and AM,BM,BF,CM,CF on right)
Now AM comes back
(AM,AF on left and BM,BF,CM,CF on right)
Now AM,AF goes across the river
(All on right bank and happy)

DONE SIR ?

devdahiya
February 14th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Bhai Arun and Vijay...Good try...you both are bang on target......Keep it up!

vijay
February 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM
My turn now !

Can you complete the missing sequence ?

The sequence is : O T T F F S S ? ?

arunshamli
February 14th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Bhai Arun and Vijay...Good try...you both are bang on target......Keep it up!

Dev ji , sawal ghana ND thaa

devdahiya
February 14th, 2006, 07:14 AM
My turn now !

Bhai Vijay Sochchan lagg rhe saan....give us some time dear.

devdahiya
February 14th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Dev ji , sawal ghana ND thaa

Thanks Arun.

arunshamli
February 14th, 2006, 07:27 AM
My turn now !

en

...nahi ye maine sovle nahi kiya...so I do not want any credit for it....:)

vijay
February 14th, 2006, 07:38 AM
en

...nahi ye maine sovle nahi kiya...so I do not want any credit for it....:)

Well Arun,

I would be happy if you can justify your answer ?

vijay
February 14th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Well, anyway Arun answer is right.
The sequence is right.

One Two Three Four Five Six Seven Eight Nine

so : O T T F F S S E N !

But next time whoever answers here please justify that :) :) :)

vijay
February 14th, 2006, 08:14 AM
One more !

Person A is as old as B was when A was C's present age.
C was then half what A's age now, and one third of what B would be after three years.

Can you work out the present ages of all the three people ?

amandahiya
February 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Are you sure????

Sorry Arun, I didnt See 4th Line

vijay
February 15th, 2006, 06:41 PM
One more !

C was then half what A's age now, and one third of what B would be after three years.

Still no answer ???????

vijay
February 18th, 2006, 09:30 PM
One more !

Bhai sare jataan ka dimag khokhla ho liya ke ? Jawaab maine hi dena padega ?

skdahiya
February 19th, 2006, 04:10 AM
bahi iska answer hai : let the lion to eat me

drjatin
February 19th, 2006, 05:07 AM

The man said " There is a pot of gold buried in your rival tribe area which i only now the whereabouts I got a dream from my god that if i should hand it over to you before dying

Now the cheif cant go in the rival tribe area nor he can stop dreaming about the pot of gold so he let him go :p

crsnadar
February 19th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Answer for Vijai Ji

A(12), B(15), C(9)

Bye

vijay
February 19th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Answer for Vijai Ji

A(12), B(15), C(9)

Bye

Correct answer
God job Rahul Bhai.

vijay
February 19th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Next !

See these letters :

Y O N W O O N D L E R

Your job is to unscramble these letters and make one word only !

neetu21
February 19th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Next !

See these letters :

Y O N W O O N D L E R

Your job is to unscramble these letters and make "one word only" !

You gave the answer yourself, Vijay:)
Its " ONE WORD ONLY"

vijay
February 20th, 2006, 12:10 AM
You gave the answer yourself, Vijay:)
Its " ONE WORD ONLY"

Correct answer
Good Neetu !

vijay
February 20th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Can u figure out the next number in the following sequence ......

5, 20, 24, 6, 2, 8, ?

puneetsheoran
February 20th, 2006, 12:53 AM

The next number is found by firstly multiplying by 4, then adding 4, then dividing by 4 four and finally subtracting by 4.

so you get 5*4 = 20, 20+4=24, 24/4=6 and then 6-4=2. The process is simply repeated from here to get 8 and then 12, 3 and -1.

vijay
February 20th, 2006, 11:33 PM

The next number is found by firstly multiplying by 4, then adding 4, then dividing by 4 four and finally subtracting by 4.

so you get 5*4 = 20, 20+4=24, 24/4=6 and then 6-4=2. The process is simply repeated from here to get 8 and then 12, 3 and -1.

Hi Puneet good job !

Correct answer !

vijay
February 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Hi ! one more.

There are 12 boxes of different colors arranged in the folowing order :
( Consider it left to right and top to bottom)

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12

You have to find out where is the Yellow box ?

Some hints for you :

1. White box is to the right of Black directly above the Maroon
2. Orange box is directly above the Grey box.
3. Brown box is above the Grey box.( Not directly)
4. Green box is below the brown box.
5. Red box is between Purple and Orange.
6. Maroon box is on bottom row directly to the right of Pink.
7. Blue Box is in the bottom right hand corner in the same column as Orange.

So, where is the yellow box ?

puneetsheoran
February 22nd, 2006, 12:26 AM
From the clue number 7 we can determine that Blue is at 12. Clue no. 2 then provides the positions for 4 and 8 as Orange and Grey. Clue 5 provides position 2 and 3 as Purple and Red. Clue 3 provides the last remaining position in row 1 that is 1 = Brown. Clue 4 provides position 5 as Green.
Clue 1 and 6 put together provide the colors for position 6,7, 10 and 11. leaving 9 as the missing one which has to be yellow.

vijay
February 22nd, 2006, 08:19 PM
From the clue number 7 we can determine that Blue is at 12. Clue no. 2 then provides the positions for 4 and 8 as Orange and Grey. Clue 5 provides position 2 and 3 as Purple and Red. Clue 3 provides the last remaining position in row 1 that is 1 = Brown. Clue 4 provides position 5 as Green.
Clue 1 and 6 put together provide the colors for position 6,7, 10 and 11. leaving 9 as the missing one which has to be yellow.

Right answer Puneet.

vijay
February 22nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
Figure out the missing number in the sequence...

19, 13, 16, 11, 13, 9, ?

deepshi
February 22nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
correct ans....
10:cool:

Figure out the missing number in the sequence...

19, 13, 16, 11, 13, 9, ?

crsnadar
February 22nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Vijay Bhai Sahab is question me maja nahi aaya?
Previous all questions were very nice.

Now one for you.....
if you have not got it already ever.

Name a ten digit number in which every digit tells the number of times that place's number is been repeated.

There are ten positions numbered denoted by a number 0 to 9 (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) & there is a numeric digit (from 1 to 9) assigned for each position wher each digit tells about how much time that position number been repeted. Answer will be a ten digit number? Can you tell it? Some persons knew it I m sure.

In other words digit at first place tells how much time number Zero(0) is repeted in this number, digit at second place tells how much times the number One(1) is repeted in that number, digit at third place tells how much times the number Two(2) is repeted in that number

for example the false answer is.....

Position: 0__1__2__3__4__5__6__7__8__9
Answer: 3__2__9__4__6__0__2__9__1__1

i.e. 3294602911

here digit 2 at second place (position represented by digit 1) tell that number ONE (1) is repeted two times in this number so this digit is correct.
But here digit 9 at third place (position represented by digit 2) tell that number TWO (2) is repeted nine times in this number so this digit is incorrect.

You have to find complete number correctly
Bye
Best of luck

I m sure so many members knew it well.

vijay
February 22nd, 2006, 10:36 PM
correct ans....
10:cool:

Good Deepshika well done

Correct answer

vijay
February 22nd, 2006, 11:21 PM

Now one for you.....

Name a ten digit number in which every digit tells the number of times that place's number is been repeated.

There are ten positions numbered denoted by a number 0 to 9 (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) & there is a numeric digit (from 1 to 9) assigned for each position wher each digit tells about how much time that position number been repeted. Answer will be a ten digit number? Can you tell it? Some persons knew it I m sure.

In other words digit at first place tells how much time number Zero(0) is repeted in this number, digit at second place tells how much times the number One(1) is repeted in that number, digit at third place tells how much times the number Two(2) is repeted in that number

i.e. 3294602911

here digit 2 at second place (position represented by digit 1) tell that number ONE (1) is repeted two times in this number so this digit is correct.
But here digit 9 at third place (position represented by digit 2) tell that number TWO (2) is repeted nine times in this number so this digit is incorrect.

Bye
Best of luck

Ok Rahul,

If u wanna play i am game !

What about this

Answer: 1__1__1__1__1__1__1__1__1__1

i.e. 1111111111

Well, I heve some more answers if ur not satisfied with this answer.

Are u game ?

neetu21
February 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM

Now one for you.....

i.e. 3294602911

Bye
Best of luck

I suppose the correct answer is

explaination:
position: 0_1_2_3_4_5_6_7_8_9
number : 6_2_1_0_0_0_1_0_0_0

here 6--> 0 is present six times in the number
2--> 1 is present twice
1--> 2 is present once
0--> 3 is not present
similarly, 1 at 6th position shows that six is present once!!:)

crsnadar
February 24th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Dear Vijay Ji,
Please check neetu's answer.
Neetu Ji Well done if did it by your own.

I don't have more such questions.
I just remind it by observing so many good quality questions here.
I have been asked this question once by someone & I took 20+ minutes to answer it so I posted it. It was published in TOI in 2002.

In fact is a very nice thread! Really Nice!
Bye
RAHUL NADAR

neetu21
February 24th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Neetu Ji Well done "if did it by your own."

RAHUL NADAR

Hey Rahul, maine is question par apna aadha ghanta kharch kiya hai:confused: ,samjhe:rolleyes: :D :)

crsnadar
February 24th, 2006, 10:17 PM
OK MAM!
WELL DONE AGAIN

vijay
February 24th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Dear Vijay Ji,
Please check neetu's answer.
Neetu Ji Well done if did it by your own.

I don't have more such questions.
I just remind it by observing so many good quality questions here.
I have been asked this question once by someone & I took 20+ minutes to answer it so I posted it. It was published in TOI in 2002.

In fact is a very nice thread! Really Nice!
Bye
RAHUL NADAR

Hi Rahul,

You are right my answer is wrong and Neetu's answer is right !

Well, i understand it in a wrong way and didn't get time to log on at jatland but hey man no excuse wrong is wrong and my answer was wrong i accept it like a gentleman.

But, one success can't make a person genius and one fault can't declare a person foolish !

Nobody is perfect !!! :) :) :)

Try some more !

vijay
February 26th, 2006, 05:31 PM
New puzzle !

Five students occupy five adjacent rooms in a hostel.
Room numbers are : 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Thier names are : A, B, C, D, E
Their surnames are : V, W, X, Y, Z
They study : History, Biology, Economics, Languages, Law

Some information for you :
1. A resides in the room to the left of the student reading Economics.
2. V has an even numbered room, as does C.
3. The student in room number 13 reads Law.
4. C and D are close friends but neither know Y very well.
5. Y has the room between the Biology student and W the Economics student.
6. X is in the room number 15 next to E who reads Biology.
7. D reads Languages

You have to figure out each student's surname, subject and room number.

narenderkharb
February 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Vijay

When I read word history I thought of some tukke baji as we always do in history section so can it be..

11,,,AZ.HISTORY
12...CW.ECONOMICS
13..BY...LAW
14...EV..BIOLOGY
15.DX...LANGUAGES.

any way history students are always poor in maths.

vijay
February 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Vijay

When I read word history I thought of some tukke baji as we always do in history section so can it be..

11,,,AZ.HISTORY
12...CW.ECONOMICS
13..BY...LAW
14...EV..BIOLOGY
15.DX...LANGUAGES.

any way history students are always poor in maths.

Narender, welcome on this thread !

Your answer is right man.

vijay
May 21st, 2006, 06:33 PM
Hi,
New puzzle again

There are three tables, and 21 bottles. Seven bottles are full, seven bottles are half full and seven are empty.

Place these bottles on these three tables in such a manner that all the three tables must have equal amount of liquid upon them.

puneetsheoran
May 25th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Let's see.

assuming the 7 full bottles have 1 ltr each and 7 half full bottles have 0.5 ltr each the total amount of liquid in the 21 bottles comes to 10.5 litres. This needs to be then divided by 3 to get the amount that needs to be on each table. In this case, each table must have 3.5 lts. The empty bottles can be put in any order as the question is about distributing the liquid.
These can then be arranged in a number of ways.

Table 1 Table 2 Table 3
3* 0.5 3* 0.5 1* 0.5
2* 1 2*1 3*1

vdeswal
August 5th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Run both 7 and 11 together. once 7 is complete turn it reverse again untill 11 is complete once 11 is complete then revserse tht 7 again frm tht moment on.

vijay
August 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Run both 7 and 11 together. once 7 is complete turn it reverse again untill 11 is complete once 11 is complete then revserse tht 7 again frm tht moment on.

Yes you are right !

Thanks for the reply Deswal bhai, but you are too late to answer as the solution is already there on this this thread long time back.