PDA

View Full Version : Making it big....Umm You got the wrong timing there

tarrysingh
August 5th, 2003, 02:05 AM
/* This is meant for that architect guy who wanted some advise... */If you want to make big bucks in IT field forget it, most of those high prfile IT jobs are being pushed to the far east.

If you want to learn then you could start right away with the subject of your interest, there's lot's to choose from.

If "making it big" is means you'd want to be an IT dude, then I'd advise you to start learning ...

databases(starting with oracle will help the trnsition ot other databases...)

a 3/4gl language like C/C++ or C/Java(in that order)

A webdevelopment language(better yet server side programming...) like jsp,asp,php.

So that's loads of studying...

Good luck...

maheshahlawat
August 5th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Hi,
whatever you had written it mean's that concentrate on GUI format's and get certified and there are lot's of job opportunities over there.

"Mahesh Ahlawat"

tarrysingh
August 7th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Mahesh,

All I mean is that making a career change is a serious business. I come from a maritime background. I quit is 99 and due to some of my indulgences with vba/vb etc while serving on board I decided to take a plunge in the IT industry. But that was way back in 96/97. It was more of a hurdle as I had to also migrate(for personal reasons--good one's trust me ;)).

So I started off as an appl. manager with a shipping firm and graduated to other jobs and in a real IT environment. I also went thru the slump, stayed home for a few weeks..

As I said you'd want to be able to adapt quickly to do lt's of jobs in an IT dept. Being a DBA makes it inevitable.

I don't quite understand your..
GUI format???
Getting certified???(It'll help of course, but I didn't refer to it)
Lots of job opputtunities aren't there(not here in europe) but there are jobs.

All I mean is watch the market trend and pick up technologies which will help you get a job as well.

Good Luck.

tarrysingh
August 7th, 2003, 12:34 AM
And talking about certifications. Yes it does help you understand the stuff quicker(I cna't say better).

OCA/OCP is a good track to learn the database administration. OCP dev. track will help you get to also think like a developer.

Visit...http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/index.html?content.html

also take active part in oracle forums...
such as...
http://dbasupport.com/forums
http://www.oracle.com/forums/index.jsp?cat=9

These two are very good...

MCSE..there are plenty of them...do a google search.

Good luck...

arunchauhan
August 8th, 2003, 03:18 PM
thank you terry ji and mahesh ji for this invaluable guidance, i request you to keep guiding me about the latest developments and also the right certifications to choose.I think for me it is better to start from MCSE, And then I wish to go for a databaes administrator programme offered by C-DAC ( a govt. of india undertaking),I can give you the details about this programme if you insist so that I get to know the right programme to take on.
I don't have much of the knowledge about these aspects and hence i am requesting you to guide. I am extremely sorry for giving you so much of trouble, but your response has been a booster to my confidence.
thank you VERY MUCH,
ARUN CHAUHAN
NEW DELHI.

tarrysingh
August 8th, 2003, 06:51 PM
No trouble.
Just post your course curriculum here and I can tip you on what will help you most.

PS: Since you're a starter the above mentioned career tips will help you position yourslef better in the market...