PDA

View Full Version : The treasure of ‘desi’ words

dndeswal
February 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM
The treasure of ‘desi’ words

Dear colleagues,

Vide my post named “Haryanvi words ka khazaana (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?p=72761#post72761)” of 26 January 2006 under Dev Dahiya’s thread “Chhola tau. (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11793)” in Humor Forum, I had underlined the importance of adding new words in the Haryanavi Dictionary, which used to have just 323 words (which I counted after taking a print-out) on that date. There is a “Rajasthani Language” dictionary too available on Jatland.com which, as on today, contains 189 words. Members knowing this language may put some effort to expand it a little bit.

I am sure Haryanavi language (which is still considered to be a ‘dialect’) contains much more rich vocabulary than listed in the dictionary which was rarely updated after its launch several years ago. Since now there is a provision that members themselves can edit or add new words by using ‘Wiki’, in my opinion we should make sincere efforts to update it. One member (Mr. Devender Dangi) had made effort in November 2005 and added some new words.

During the course of last couple of weeks, I have been able to compile a list of 158 odd pure desi words and have added them in the dictionary, along with translation. This 1st phase has been completed yesterday, 9 February 2006. For ready reference, I am attaching the list of new words in MS-Word format – see attachment. After this task, as on today, the Haryanavi Dictionary contains a total of 481 odd words.

All of us should realize that with changing times, switching over the medium of school education from Hindi to English and for some of us being away from the motherland, the new generation is losing the grip on the mother-tongue and in some cases, a certain percentage of them have actually started hating the tongue itself, terming it a rude and rough dialect or ‘gawaaron ki jubaan’. To some extent, I had explained this factor in my post Facts about Jats/ Jat Society (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69327#post69327) of 2nd January 2006

There is a Punjabi factor too. I had put one post called “A mix of good and bad elements (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69212#post69212)” in the thread” Are Punjabis Liars? (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8925) Which could explain this Punjabi factor to some extent.

Having myself studied Punjabi in school and seeing the friction between Punjabis and all of us, I can definitely say that no other language is as rude or rough as Punjabi. But we have to compliment our Sikh brothers who have, with their sincere efforts, made Punjabi a respectful language. Gurmukhi script started in 17th century only, at the time of Guru Gobind Singh – prior to that, only Devanagri script was in use. Guru Granth Sahib, in its original form, is stated to be written in Devanagri only. There is no reason for us to start hating our own mother tongue which is not as rude or rough as others say.

Moreover with the use of new technologies, modern agricultural instruments are common now and desi words related to bullock carts, traditional hand-tools, housing patterns, livestocks etc. are being forgotton by the new generation. In Haryanavi, there are dozens of words about buffalo only and many more relating to bullock-cart, mud houses, traditional kitchen and cooking methods and so on. Hence, preservation of words, both in written and spoken form, is a must.

All of you would appreciate that compilation of pure desi words, translating them accurately and putting them one-by-one while sitting on-line, is a time-consuming and laborious task. Interested members may please take a print-out of the document (and those of the entire dictionary pages) and mistakes in translation etc., if noticed, may please be pointed out.

I am starting compiling more words from various posts in different forums and intend to present one more such list in about 2 months’ time. Those who are unable to edit on-line, may suggest the words to me to be added to the new list. Only those words should be brought to the attention which are purely of desi origin, are not part of our dictionary now and are not used in written form in Hindi language. Hindi itself contains thousands of desi words but since these have become common now, there is no need to overburden the Jatland dictionary with those words.

Many thanks for your attention.

jagmohan
February 11th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Deswal Sahab,

Take a bow. A truly wonderful effort. Thanks a ton.

One becomes nostalgic while reading most of these words and their meanings. I am sure this would help members to become more knowledgeable about our culture.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

JS Malik

devdahiya
February 11th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Great goings...Keep it up!

dndeswal
February 13th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Deswal Sahab,

Take a bow. A truly wonderful effort. Thanks a ton.

One becomes nostalgic while reading most of these words and their meanings. I am sure this would help members to become more knowledgeable about our culture.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

JS Malik

Thanks Col. Malik, for your encouragement.

It is an Ocean !

After just three days of my posting my last message when I started my search for new words, I am astonished that this ‘dialect’ Haryanavi is not a small lake but rather a vast ocean so far as vocabulary is concerned. I had started this project as a hobby and I had imagined that this would finish in just two attempts. But now, suddenly, I feel that my feet are in deep water - “Yoh tey bhiraddyain ke chhattey mein haath de diya” !!

My earlier list contained just 158 words but the second one which is under compilation, is touching 250 pure desi words – surprising ! Half of these words were told by my wife alone. Others were picked up from this site alone, by reading some threads of Dev Dahiya and those of some other members. Over the weekend, when I was writing the words on a piece of paper, my wife half-jocularly uttered to me: “Aap tey baawley-ey hogye, ye aradde-bhuradde lafaz bi kade likhhey jaawein sein?” I told her that by uttering so, she had given a new word : Aradde-Bhuraadde !

I have been able to short-list these 250-odd words in a matter of 3 days. I am writing below some of these magic words (not all translated – which I will do later) :

Aasang / Albheda (twist) / Anghai / Beerbaani / Bera-Bichaar / Chhabbaak (jump) / Chakoota / Daantrey / Eind-beind (vain talks) / Fardde / Gaddang (again - vain talks) / Gitvaadd / Ghasiyari / Hukti / Hammamdasta / Jhirnee-Dankaa / Kaatkadd / Khapparbharnna / Khidhwaa / Khadtaall / Lhafoosdde / Mandassa / Mugdar / Nakkchutti / Otedda / Pazaava / Qor / Rookka / Saamakh / Sattarka/ Samdhetta / Taawlla / Toom-Thegree / Tipoulla / Udhmass / Yaava/ Zeemanvaar
(Since these have been written in Roman script, some of these may not be understood in this form but after being translated, such words leave a magical effect)

Any harm if Hindi language picks up some of these unique words in the written form? Times are changing but we need not be disheartened. Haryanavi music and films are now in the market which was not the case earlier. The raagnis of Lakhmichand contain a rich vocabulary but words of such great poets were not kept in written form and remain unpatented till now. Some Hindi newspapers like Jagran, Bhaskar etc. have actually started using some of the Haryanavi words like ‘Bitodda’, ‘Fahddaa’, ‘Kurddi’, Theppaddi etc. which was not the case earlier. English papers still use words like ‘cowdung cake’ etc.

Astonishingly, our so-called ‘illiterate’ forefathers have transferred the words and the language itself in a most natural manner – in spoken form. Vedas have been preserved till today not just by being kept in a library but by transferring the words from one generation to the other. The “word” means ‘Akshar’ i.e. which does not die.

Then why is the need to preserve the word in a written form? Our language is a form of ‘Prakrit’ (which is gift of ‘Prakriti’ – nature) language which is actually older than Sanskrit. Ancient books and novels, even those written by Kalidasa, contain Prakrit input in them. In Kalidasa’s plays, a vidooshak (“joker”) always speaks Prakrit but the hero speaks Sanskrit. When ‘Prakrit’ was patented in written form by way of strict grammar rules, it became ‘Sanskrit’ i.e. a sanskritised or patented language (‘jiska sanskaar ho gaya ho’). In today’s computerized world, we are scattered all around and preservation of our rich heritage in written form is a must – even though it is in Roman alphabets.

I hope to complete the translation of this second list of desi words shortly, much before the stipulated time-limit of 2 months. It now occurs to me that 2-3 more lists of similar lengths will have to be prepared as our language is a big ocean. Then, our dictionary will contain well over 1000 precious words.

Dev Dahiya has presented a thread titled Jab Jannu Jab Inke Matlab Batao ? (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7404) which I read just two days back. It contains so many valuable desi words. When I asked him “Do I have your permission to include these in the dictionary”, he writes:

“…. neki arr poochh-2.......please go ahead and do what pleases you....Aur bhi ghanne shabdd likh dyaange aapki dictionary khattir...aap inn-ne sarya ne uss kitab mei likh dyo arr bhatt kessi poththi bannan dyo. All yours please.”

If such response is received, what else is needed?

jatyan
February 25th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Dear Jats,
I belive there should be a special link for dictionary
so that pple can refer to the dictionary easily as and when required
ZATS...
Jatain Arun

sejwaldeepak
February 25th, 2006, 01:57 PM
http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language

jatyan
February 25th, 2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language

eb deekhya sai manne to...... chhookha kaam kar rakhya sai
theek katya roog, badhiya kaam kara....
ZATS
Jatain Arun

dndeswal
February 25th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Hopefully, another lot of 260 words will be added by tomorrow, if there is no technical difficulty on account of browser. I shall post the added list in this thread thereafter.

downtoearth
February 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Hopefully, another lot of 260 words will be added by tomorrow, if there is no technical difficulty on account of browser. I shall post the added list in this thread thereafter. deswal sir,,, aan do:) waiting.......

dndeswal
February 26th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Haryanavi Dictionary Expansion – Part-II

Dear colleagues,

In my first post of 10 February under this Thread, I had mentioned that I would be able to present another list of ‘desi’ words in about 2 month’s time. With God’s grace, interest shown by some of our members, and my own efforts to complete the second phase as soon as possible, I have been able to compile another document titled “Dictionary Part-II”, containing 260 precious words of Haryanavi language, in just about 15 day’s time. This document is attached below in MS-Word format. Those interested may save it or take a print-out.

This document has already been inserted by me into the relevant page on our site and complete, updated version of ‘Haryanavi Dictionary’ is available on the following link:

http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language (http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language)

The ‘Haryanavi Language Dictionary’ contained 481 words on 10 February 2006 (after I had added 158 words from my first list). Today, after addition of these 260 additional words, it contains a total of 741words. I am starting compiling the next phase, and if a similar number of desi words are found to be appropriate, our dictionary would then cross the 1000 mark.

Since English (or the Roman alphabets) has become the language of computers in India, unfortunately, we have the compulsion of compiling these ‘desi’ words in Roman alphabets rather than Devanagri. But it is said that something is better than nothing.

Every language or dialect has its own history of evolution. Our Haryanavi language (and others too) is undergoing a testing time now-a-days on account of proliferation of English and mushrooming of ‘public’ schools. Not only we, even the British scholars are blaming the American-style English (de facto language of computer) which is spoiling ‘English’ English. See the sample of short forms of words which is worrying those ‘English’ goras : cheque (now written as ‘check’), through (‘thru’) crossing (‘x-ing’), mother (‘mom’), father (‘dad’) sister (‘sis’) , and rather than writing “hellow everybody” it is 'Hi all". During long chat sessions on the Internet, the young generation has starting using words like ‘bcoz’ (because), ‘tks’ (thanks), ‘asap’ (as soon as possible) ‘plz’ (please) ‘cum’ (instead of ‘come’) etc. Similarly, "i wanna a" ! These abbreviations are appearing in essays, articles etc. and the scholars compiling Oxford dictionary are finding themselves in a peculiar situation on account of such short-cut names which are becoming a nuisance. Their fear is that the erstwhile royal English language may soon go to dogs. Indian word ‘chaddhi’ has been added in Oxford dictionary. I shall later try to attempt a short article on the history of evolution of some major languages of the world.

In India too, meanings of words are undergoing a slow change. For example, ‘guru’ is a respectable word but in places like Mumbai (courtesy Bollywood films) it could mean “Head of a criminal gang”. I would like to draw your attention to the word ‘Tau’. For some modern youth, it could mean any half-literate youngman wearing a desi turban and speaking in local language, - quite contrary to its real meaning. See the definition of ‘Tau’ which existed in our own dictionary till yesterday:

“Tau : An elderly man, with lot of time on hand, often found traveling in haryana roadways, asking directions for Rohtak, Jind or Hissar.”

My God ! Does anyone of you agree with the above definition? I have amended it now as under (see dictionary page):

Tau : Derived from Sanskrit word ‘Taat’. ‘Tau’ simply does not mean ‘uncle’. It is perhaps the most respectable relationship in the Jat society. ‘Tau’ should mean “The elder brother of one’s father or any aged/ elderly, respectable person of similar age”.

If anyone of you has objection to this explanation of the word ‘Tau’ and has a better suggestion, grateful please let me know so that necessary changes could be made.

Accent or pronunciation: Our Jatland languages (dialects) are quite similar. Though different regions have their own style of accent, we feel no difficulty in understanding. People from Haryana and Rajasthan find it easy to converse with those from Western UP where the accent differs slightly. ‘Konya’ and ‘Koni’ are similar. Our elders used to say : Kos-Kos pey vaani badley, dangh-dangh pey paani” [i.e. after a distance of every kos (about 2 kilometers) “Vanni” or “boli” undergoes a change. Similarly, the taste of underground water differs just after one ‘dangh’ or step]. In the current dictionary, which is in Roman alphabets, some readers, especially those who have no rural background or those born and brought up abroad, may find it difficult to pronunciate some words but they can seek help from others – it depends how much interest one shows in this.

I am myself a new member. One new member, Arun Jatain (who has gained the membership just 3-4 days ago) seems quite enthusiastic on this issue. He has just started a thread in this forum, entitled “Poll : Haryanavi Dictionary” and the question of poll is: “haryanvi dictionary ko strategic location milni chahiye jatland.com par”. It is upto the Administrators to decide about this. I am not a technical person to suggest what is meant by “strategic location”. Perhaps it could mean that it should be accessed through the Home Page, rather than going through a circuitous route. But the enthusiasm of Arun Jartain is praiseworthy.

In the end, I am grateful for Nitin for his cooperation and guidance so far as on-line editing and technical details of page’s editing capacity etc. are concerned. If the dictionary page becomes too voluminous, we would request him to split the page in two parts so that more material could be inserted in future.

Many thanks, again, for your cooperation and attention.

ratheetheraist
February 26th, 2006, 05:48 PM
deswal sir its very gd work done by u nd ur team of some jatladers........:)

lrburdak
March 3rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks Deswalji for your wonderful contribution to the Haryanavi dictionary. I have done sections in the Haryanavy dictionary as desired by you from Nitin.
It is difficult to write a local language in Roman. I have done Some changes by writing in Hindi as well. That will make the words more clear. I did some experiment with hindi softwarw and it was successful. you will like it. It will take sometime to complete it.

jitendershooda
March 26th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Dear Members,

I was editing the dictionary for the hindi adition for the pending ones but that time what is feel is that this should not be directly exposed to everyone for editing and by this way anyone can edit the dictionary.

Instead what i feel is that:

1) We should keep a sticky thread where every member can add their own new haryanvi words by looking into the existing ones.
2) Any one-two of the member should have the editing control over it.

I NOMINATE MR. DAYANAND DESHWAL'S NAME FOR THE SAME ...AS HE IS DOING A GREAT AND WISE JOB IN THIS REGARD.

So I request moderators and members to have an attention on this so that we can have some really rich dictionary, that will be an asset. Please do the needful.

Same thing i am adding into the other related thread ...treasures of desi words...

Will be adding some more new words for the next version of it soon....

dndeswal
March 26th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Dear colleagues,

Exactly, one month ago, I had written my message on this thread (see above) which was posted after adding the second lot of desi words in Haryanavi Dictionary. After that, I had in mind - writing desi words in Roman script does not have the desired effect as one finds difficulty in correct pronunciation. After consulting Shri Laxman Burdak, I started compiling the list of existing words in Hindi. I am thankful to Laxman Burdak ji for technical guidance in this matter. It is pertinent to note that Burdak ji has also completed the task of adding Hindi versions in Rajasthani Dictionary.

One member Shri Satyavrat Singh Bhalothia (from Rajasthan) did show interest in adding some words in Hindi (in Haryanavi Dictionary) and I must thank him for his efforts. Our colleague Jitender Hooda has not only helped in digging out ‘lupt’ words and suggesting many precious words, he has also learnt the technique of formating Hindi words and adding them in browser too (see his post above). Such a cooperation from colleagues is commendable – language is our common heritage and even in this age of globalisation when English is on the path of eliminating ancient languages (some such dialects have already vanished in Western Hemisphere and in Africa), we must not allow it to happen on our land.

Since I remained busy with updating the dictionary with Hindi versions, I could not complete the task of adding new words. But the list is ready. After proper translation and adding Hindi version to it, I am expected to insert this list in dictionary in another couple of weeks.

For watching dictionary page, click here : Haryanavi Language (http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language)

Those who are unable to read Hindi on this page and on dictionary page, please read my thread Tips for use of Hindi on your computer (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13233) in “Tech Talk Forum”.

And, for ready reference, given below is the complete list of words (in Hindi) available on the Dictionary page as of today.

Again, many thanks for your attention.

एड्डी / आँक्कल /आड / आखटा /आख / आळा / आळ / आंधासीसी / / आंगळी / आंख दूखणी / आंखळी / आंटणा / आर्णा / आर्ता / आसंग / आवा / आवटी / आड्डा / अक्खर / अळबाद / अळगोजा / अळभेडा / अमृतबाण / अमरीका / आंडी/ अंगाकड़ा / अंगार /अंघाई / अंग्रेज / अफलातून / अर्ड़ाटा / औड़ / बाही/ बाखड़ी / बाँकळी / बाँट / बारा / बारिया / बारणा / बारौठी / बासण / बात्ती / बछिया / बाछड़ा / बचूरे / बड्डा–बूढा / बड़भाती / बगड़ / बग्गी (बुग्गी) / बधाण / बहड़का / बक्कल / बखोरा / बळध /बुळहद / बळधाँ की सूँ / बलियाण / बंचाटी / बसौला / बरफ / बरबंटी / बरौला / बरौली / बटेऊ / बथुआ / बीजणा / बीरबानी / बेल्ला / बेरा–बिचार / भादरगढ / भड़भूजा / भाँखड़ी / भक्कड़ / भाण/ बेबे / जीजी / भरौटा / भरौटी / भरतार / भीचना / भेढ्या / भेल्ली/ भौहरा / भूभळिया / भूगड़ा / भूंड / भूंडा / भूंडी / भूरी / भौरा भुरंठ / भुर्ळी / भुस / बिचाळा / बिच्छा / बिचला / बिचौलिया / बिचूर्णा / बिघन / बिजार / बिलंगणी / बिलांध / बिलोणी / बिलोवणी / बिलूटणे / बिरचणा / बिटौड़ा / बित्ती–डंका / बोद्दा /बोझड़ा / भोजड़ा / बूकल मारणा / बूंगा / बूरा / बोर्ळा / बोड़ा / बौड़ा / बोतड़ू / बौरिया / बुढंगड़ / बुड़का / बुड़कला / बुग्गी / बुहारी / बुखार / बुखारी / चाख / चानचक / चासणी / चकूटा / चमासा/ चौमासा / चड़स / चिड़स / चमौला / चमौठा / चन्दा / कटारा / छड़ / चर्खा / चीगसा / चीगवा / छब्बाक / छाज / छात / छठी / चीतन / छेतणा / छिपकली / छोल / छूछक / चिलम / चिलाम / चिलमिया / चिंग्गरणा / चोभा / छो / छोह / चौंतरी / चूलकर / चूँडा / चूँघणा / चूरण / चूरमा / छ्योतके / चोतकर / चौबारा / चुगल / चुग्घड़ / चकचून्धर / चुळकणा / चूल्हा−न्यौत / चून्दड़ी / चून्धी / च्याहणी / डाबर / डाभ / कुश / दादस / डाक / डाक्की / दामण / दांतरे / दांतरी / दांदरी / दान्ना / दबाळू / डबोटा / दमीड़ / दमूही / डहर / दहेज / डळा / डाळहा / डांढ / डंडूक / डांगर / डंघ / डफळी / दरांती / दसमी / दौमड़ा / दीवा / ढब्बी / ढाळ / ढाणा / ढांख / धांस / ढांढा / ढई / डही / ढय्या / ढारा / ढाठा / धतूरा / ढप्प / धड़ी / ढेड / ढैढ / ढीढ / ढेरा / धीदे / दीदे / दिल का दौरा / दिल्ली सूबा / डोहरी / धोख / धोल्लां / धूमा / धूमणी / धूंधळा / धोरै / धोती / ढौवणी / धौण / डूम / डून्डा / डुंघा / दोलडा / दौलड़ा / डोए / डोई / डोऊ / डोग्गा / बैंत / डोक्के / डौळा / डोल / दूब / दूसर / दरांती / दुकानिया / दुलहंडी / दस्त / ईन्ढी / फळसी / गादड़ / गाळ / गावड़ी / गाड्डे / लोहार/ गात / गाभा / गाभरू / घाभरू / गभसूवा / गड़ंग / गड़ंगटे / गंहटा / गळामा / गलहूरा / गंडासा / गंडासी / गंडा-गांडळी / गंडे / गंडेरी / गंडीरी / गंडस्या / गंठा / गरंड / गौड़ी / गवहेरा/ गुरहेड़िया / गींडो / गीत / गीतां आळी / गेड़ा / घाघरी / घड़ौंची / घेट्टी / घणा / घसियारी / घीलड़ी / घेर / घेयर / घिलौठ / घुड़चड़ी / घुग्घू / घून्हा / घूस्स/ मूसा / गिल्लड़ / गिड़गम / गिड़चम / गिड़गोई / गिट्टा / गितवाड़ / गिजाई / गोबर / गोबर-गणेश / गोड्डा / गोह्झ / गोन्डा / गूदड़ / गूलर / गूमड़ी/ गूमड़ा / गूंद / गूठी घालणा / गोस्सा / गोज्जी / गुळाफू / गुणगुणा / गुणिया / गुसलखाना / गुठळी / ग्याभण / हारा / हार्ट की बीमारी / हाथ / हेल्ली / हड़खाई / हडवारा / हमामदस्ता / हन्डा / हरट / रैहट / हरद्वार/ हरयाणा / हाथळ / हुक्का / हुलांस / हुक्टी / इन्दरा गांधी / जाड्डा / जाळ / जामण / जाट / जाटणी / जेळी / कस्सी / कुहाड़ी / कसोल्ला / जर्सी / जेवड़ा / जीवड़ा / झाब / झाग बिखरणा / झालरा / कंठी / हसळी / झारणा / झकोई / झिकोई / झल्ला / झेद्दो / झेद / झेरा / झिरणी–डंका / झोड़ / जोहड़ / झूंड / झोट्टी / जीमणवार / जूम/ जूँ / जोत्ता / जोत्ते / जूआ / जुखाम / जम्फर / जंगल / जुराब / काग / काळ्जा / कल्लर / कामड़ा / कान मैं दर्द / काँटो / काँटवा / काट / काटकड़ / कातना / कबज / कचौळा / कड़ मैं दर्द / कढावणी / काका / काकी / कलीला / कळपूँछी / खागड़ / काळस / कनागत / कनस्तर / कंजूस माक्खी चूस / कंगड़ी पहलवान / कसळेट / कसूता / कासण / कटेहळा / कटेहळी / कटिया / काटड़ा / कात्तर / कौलड़ा / काई / कवाई / काच्चा / काच्ची / काँटा / खाँचा / खड़ाम / खड़बथुवा / खड़ताळ / काढना / खाज / खसूँटणी / खामखा / खाँड / खार / खार-की / खाट / खाटा घोळ / खात्ती / खात्ते-पीत्ते घर का / खड़ंजा / खढा / खाही / खंडवा / खप्परभर्णा / खरड़ / खसरा / खातौड़ / खटौल्ली / खोंसड़े / खिधवा / खिन्डका / खौल्लहां / हर्याह / खोही / खूड / खूंढी / खूंसट / खूटा / खूटी / खुड़का / किकरौळी / किरळकांट / किवाड़ / कुवाड़ / दरवाजा / खोप्पर / खुळिया / खुरचण / कोलहड़ी / कोल्हू / कोन्यां / कोनी / कूकड़ी / कोल्हड़ी / कूल्हड़ी / कूंग्गर / कुल्लंग / कूतरू / कोरवा / कोथळी / कौतरी / कूआ / कूई / कुड़ता / जम्फर / कुलच्छणी / कुम्भ का मेळा / कुंडा / कुंडी / कुरंढ / कुरहंड / कुरड़ी / लाग्गड़ / लाग्गू / लाम्मण / लामणी / लाण्डी / लाण / लाट / लंहसवा / लाक्कड़/ लापसी / लठ / लटूर / लत्ता ओढ्णा / लत्ते / लट्टू चासणा / लौढी / लीकड़े / लींड्डी-ठोक / लीपा-पोत्ती / लीतरे / लेवड़ा / ल्ह्फूसड़े / लिफूसड़े / ल्हासी / सीत / ल्हीख / लीक / लिहाफ / लोब्बाँ / लंढन / लुगाई / माड़ा / माड़ी / मांडा / मात्ता / मदारी / मलंग / मंडासा / मंगता / मांगणियाँ / मैलखोरा / मर्खणी / मींह / मींहढा / मोड्डा / मूसळ / मूठ / मोरी / मोत्तीझारा / मोट्टां / मौलड़ / मौळसरा / मुड्ढा / मुगदर / मुंह-दिखाई / मूँजी / मूधा / नूँह / नाकसी / नाळ / नकचूटी / नारिया / नाथ / नकछींकणी / नकेल / नाक्का / नकटा-नकटी / नणदोई / न्हास्टी / न्यौता / न्यौंदा / नजर-झाड़ / नेज्जा / नेज्जू और डौल / न्यौळ / निम्बौळी / नूण / न्यार / न्यारा / न्याम-श्याम / ओबरा / औळे / ओल्हा / ऊँग-द्यो / ऊँखळ / ऊत / ओपरा / भूत / पैड़काळा / औरणा / ओटड़ा / पाल्ला / पाळ / पाँ-में-दर्द / पाँत / पारवा / पात / पावा / पचगन्डा / पैड़ / पेट-में-दर्द पकावा / पिलपोट्टण / पल्टा / पंजारा / पळ्वा / पैंढा / पांढा / पंसळी-में-दर्द / पतावा / पटिया / पतलून / पथ-पाड़ / पतनाळ / पतराळ / पजावा / पीढा / पीहल / पीलिया / पींघ / पैंढी / पेरणा / फूकणी / फूफसरा / पिल / पिल्लू / पिलपोट्टण / पिलूरे / परस्स / पित्रफूल / पळा / पळ्वा / पोंडा / पोतड़ा / पौड़ /
'परेसन' / पूड़े / पूणी / कसार / कौर / राब / राबड़ी / राछ / राक्क्स / रामजी / रान्ना / रस्सा / रस्सी / राचौंधा / रहपट / रहपटा / रहड़ू /रई / राळा / रंडा / रंधीण / रींट / रेज्जा / रेह / रेळा / आंधी-रेळा / रिपटण / रोहतक / रौळा / रौंझी / रूक्का / रूंगा / रोट / रूंढी / साब्बळ / साग / सांक्कळ / साळ / दलहान / साल्हड़ा / सामख / सांझी / सांगड़ / सींगड़ / सांगर / सांक्का / सान्नी / सांप / सांठी, पवाड़, कौंधरा / सांट्टा / साप्पळ / स्यापड़ / रापड़ा / सापड़ना / साथळ / सगाई / सक्कर / सकोरा / समधी / समधेटा / सन्दूक / सपेल्ला / सपड़ना / सपळका / सरकंडा / सटर्का / सौड़ / सीरा / सीत / सेह / सेही / सेक्का-ताड़ी / सेवा-सेवा / सेरू / सिवासिण / स्याणा / सिलम / सिलबट्टा / सिल्ला / सिलगाना / सिणक / सीप्पी / सिर में भड़क / सिर में दर्द / सिर्टी / सिर्टा / सिरहाणा / सोन्हा / सूआ / सूधा / सोट्टा / सुणसुणियां / सुथनी / सुथरा / सुथरी / सूट्टर / तगार / तगाजा / टाबर / तागड़ी / टामक / टांड / टांग / ताप / तावळा / तगड़ा / ताई/ तायसरा / ताक्कू / तकती / तनहाळ / तरेड़ / ताऊ / टीबा / टीकली / टीकड़ा / टींट / तीज / टेकड़ा / तेत्थण / थाळी / ठाण / ठांसरे / ठाठ / ठाड्ढा थापा / ठठेरा / ठौड / ठौड़-ठिकाणा / थेगळी / ठेगरी / ठीकरी / थेपड़ी / ठेक्का / टिक्कड़ / टिपौळा / ठूडी / ठौडी / ठूंठ / थ्याणा / थ्यावस / टूक / टूकणी / टोकणी / टूम / टूम-ठेगरी / तूतरी / टोर्वा / त्रेप्पनी / टुब्बल / टुटात्ती / त्साया / त्योर / उधमस / उकास / उलाळू / उलाळवा / उलाणा / उल्हाणा / उत्पात्ती / यावा / याड़ी / जवारा / जेर / जेट्टा / झींझ / झोक्का / जोट्टा

jitendershooda
March 27th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Great Efforts Deshwal Ji .... Jama Enrich :) Kar Deni Hai Ya Dictionary Aapni ...

downtoearth
March 27th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Dear colleagues,

एड्डी / मुड्ढा / मुगदर / मुंह-दिखाई / मूँजी / मूधा / नूँह / नाकसी / नाळ / नकचूटी / नारिया / नाथ / नकछींकणी / नकेल / नाक्का / नकटा-नकटी / नणदोई / न्हास्टी / न्यौता / न्यौंदा / नजर-झाड़ / नेज्जा / नेज्जू और डौल / न्यौळ / निम्बौळी / नूण / न्यार / न्यारा / न्याम-श्याम / ओबरा / औळे / ओल्हा / ऊँग-द्यो / ऊँखळ / ऊत / ओपरा / भूत / पैड़काळा / औरणा / ओटड़ा /
deswal sir ,, aapke iss kaam key liyey to shabd thoodey sein,,,,,,, key kahu mein,,,,,,,,bss nuey kahuga nuey laagey rahoo... haryaanvi words aur sanskriti ney bachhan tahi.....

priti
March 28th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Great Work Mr. Deswal, This is what i used to tell my mother to do (who has a great haryanvi vocabulary) but she never took me seriously, this is utterly important.

Arr main apni maa tai bhi keh dyungi ak iss dictionary mmah koi kami ho te bata dengi....

Also, it'll be great if people can actually identify the words which are particular to some areas (within haryana, u.p, rajasthan), it'll make it more interesting....

sunitahooda
March 28th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Deswal Sir,
Writing few words, please see if added or not....
1. Khassna- jabardasti panga lena
2. Seeng ulljhana- same as above
3. Baddsar- old learned person( i suppose)
4. Nhaspada- Choddi naakwala( big nose):)

ramram
March 28th, 2006, 02:50 PM
:) [quote=sunitahooda]Deswal Sir,
Writing few words, please see if added or not....
1. Khassna- jabardasti panga lena
2. Seeng ulljhana- same as above
3. Baddsar- old learned person( i suppose)
4. Nhaspada- Choddi naakwala( big nose):)
[thank you for introducing a novice to this language 'coz i feel real difficulty in fighting with any jat though i'm a jat myself ]

sunitahooda
March 28th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Its Ok Kritika....learn slow but learn for sure....after ye hamari sanskriti hai:)

[thank you for introducing a novice to this language 'coz i feel real difficulty in fighting with any jat though i'm a jat myself ][/quote]

ramram
March 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM
thank you mam . I wish to meet more people like you who would try to save their culture.After all jat kisi te kam koni:confused:

devdahiya
March 28th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Kuchh aur shabdd:

LABHDHEEK: Lambbi tangga aalla pakshi
HALSHYA/Hallash: Long wooden round shaft of Hall
Dhhundhhalla: Smoke chimeny
Jhamppar: Loose gown
JHamma: Congestion
Gaaggadd: Long story
Kamoi: A brand new medium size earthen pot
TATTKKARI: Bulladh ki puchh marodd kei bhajjana
Lochche marna: Idhar se udhhar karwat badalna[due to some illness or bechainni]
Chandda: Morr pankh
Ganddalli; Morr pankh se banni hui maala...jo pashuwon ke galle mei Deewali aale din prhaya krein.
Kaant: A triangular piece with pointed ark.....fitted just below the KUSH....in a hal
PATHWARA: Jadde gobbar pathya ja
BINDDI: Jute aali rassi ka bundle
GHANN: Luhar jis se lal lohe ko kutt-ta hei
DOHRRAN: Double

jitendershooda
April 3rd, 2006, 07:58 PM
Deshwal ji kariyo ye bhi add aapne aaali dictionary mein [A-C]

Aage ki/Nae आगे की॓। नई A buffalo after successful meeting with Male
Aabal आबल More - ज्यादा
Aakhyer आख्यर Extreme
Aali आऴी Our's / Apni / Personal
Aandhla आँधला Storage area made by joning both the palms
Aant आँट Knot
Aasoojh आसोझ Desi Month from 23 Sept. to 22 Oct
Aathyam आठ्य्म Eight date of Hindu calendar
Aayal अयाल Loose skin below the neck-throat of ox
Aayl आल Onion that is not riped
Ade अङ Here
Amartbaan अम॑तबाण Pot to store Pickel
Andhod अँधोङ Strong wind
Asad आसाङ Desi Month from June 22 to July 22
Asal असल Real
Baa बाः बाव
Baadh बाध More - ज्यादा
Baan बान This is the act in which the person getting married undergo some activities and
after that his move from home is restricted till marriage day
Baarja बारजा Small opening of the roof to protect the inner things from rain etc. छज्जा
Baat बाट Wait/ Iron stone used for measuring things
Bainju बेँजू Haryanvi musical instrument used in Ragnis
Bairan बैरण Enemy
Baishakh बैसाख़ Desi Month from 21 April to 21 May
Bakaan बकाण Neem like tree with round fruits on it bitter in taste used for medicide
Bakvad बकवाद False talk
Bandi बाँदी Slave/Maid
Bani बणी It is a large area besides village with thick vegetation
Baratna बरतणा Use
Barma बरमा Nalka …Handpump
Beejhal बीझऴ Uneasy
Beejoo बीजू It is a cat like animal that usually jump high to cover distance and attack
directly on humans face
Behmi बहमी Person who remains in boubt all the time
Bhadwa भादवा Desi Month from Aug. 23 to 22 Sept.
Bhawaj भावज Sister
Bheetarla भीतरला Inner Self
Bhinon भिनोण Jija's Sister
Bidro बिदरो Kaccha drain that is used to let the water out during rainy season
Biir बीर Wife/Lady
Biraani बरानी The land where there is no proper means of irrigation. Jit Pani na lagta ho
Birdana बिरडाना Murmer in anger or when some body is disagree
Bohra बोहरा One who keeps releasing high words with no base
Boki बोकी It is a device used to gid narrow and deep into the ground to place handpump or tubewell
Bola बोऴा - बावऴा Mad/Not in senses
Bolta बोलता It is used like this "Mera to bolta ee na pat ta bhai" means after some instance
somebody feels that he don't have words to express himself.
Chaa चाः Great desire with full enthusiasm
Chait चैत्र Desi Month from 21-22 March to 20 April
Chakki चाकी It is the thing used to turn the wheat etc. into floor
Chala चाऴा Matter of great susprise/Supernatural happening
Chaloo चालू Start/Clever in negative sense
Chan छान It is the roof made up of dry sarkandas and foos
Chaugarda चौगरदा Around all four directions
Cheechad चीचङ
Cheeda छीदा Rare
Cheegssa चीगसा Diya/Deeva
Chilhatar चीलहतर Doing some actions/acting owing to over smartness
Chilli चिल्ली Loud and shrill shout in pain or when afraid
Chirmarath चिरमराठ Pain with burning effect
Cholai चोलाई It is a green vegetable specially helpful for person who has stones
Chooghda चूघङा Diya/Deeva
Chool चूल
Choorne चूरणे
Chothad चौथङ Plumpy person
Chyatar च्यातर Clever
Chyori छयोरी Poolies of Wheat or other crops when put in a pattern in the Pair

jitendershooda
April 6th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Deshwal ji words from [D-F]:

Daantan दाँतण Small branch of tree(keekar,neem) used to clear the teeth
Dakal डाकऴ Branches plucked of mustard plant in its early stage used as a green vegetable
for Sarson ka Saag
Dangwara डॅगवारा Herd of animals/ Used for the unnecessary burden
Dhai-ke-haath धाई कै हाथ Used when a person feels that it is not worth to just go and come
Dheem ढीम Big block of sand
Dheem-Sira ढीम-सिरा One having a huge head
Dhingtana धिँगताणा By Force …jabardasti
Dhoonga ढूँगा Slight rythmic movement of hips
Dhot धोत Used to put stress on the word of dhoti
Dooba-Dheri डूबा-ढेरी Used when someone do something unexpected in semi negative terms
Dossar दोसर Land that is ploughed double to increase the air exposure and fertility
Duhathda दुहाथडा Weeping of women when some close one dies by beating their breasts
Dyubhaddya दुबडधया Great Confusion
Eelam ऐलम Knowledge / information in advance
Fanki फाँकी Small amount of some powdered material in terms of medicine
Fansat-Fhans फाँसट-फाँस Some obstacle / small sharp piece of wood
Farak फरक Difference
Farwat फरवट Expert
Fhagan फागण Desi Month from 20 Feb to 20 March
Fhailna फैलणा Talk and behave in a extra relaxed and arrogant manner specially after taking
wine
Fhain फेन One of the supirior type of cloth used in the formation of Dhotis
FhatFatti फटफटी Used for the two wheelers
Fhosra फौसरा One who donot use his mind and behave on others suggestions may it hurt him
Fusphusi फुसफुसी Not hard / airy material without any hardness
Fyavri फ्यावरी Used for female filled with anger, irritated and who can go till any heights to
harm you

downtoearth
April 6th, 2006, 12:17 AM
hooda bhai ,,, lagya rey ,,,, gr8 goin,,,,,,,,

ratheetheraist
April 6th, 2006, 02:17 AM

shame to shame for dn deswal ji............

jitendershooda
April 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM

shame to shame for dn deswal ji............

dHANYABAAD BAHIYO ...RATHEE RE YA TRANSLATION SEE TE AANDY KARI TENE :) :)

jitendershooda
April 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Deshwal ji words from [G-J] are as follows:

Gaada गाङा Muslim
Gaadh गाध Suspension of water, sand and other waste material
Gaas गास Khichadi, Dalia etc. type semi fluid dishes
Gaddod गदूद
Gadoos गडूस Used to express irritation on someone who doesnot use mind at all
Gail गेल Peeche, back ….this word is used in Bagar बागङ and some parts of meham
chaubissi
Galghatte गऴ्घटे
Galjot गऴजोट When two of the ox or person work matching shoulder to shoulder
Gallami गऴामी Strong boundation
Galoor गलूर Small piece of sugarcane.
Garad-Pharad गरड-फरड अविकारी शब्द used to illustrate the movement and sounding of clouds
Garaj गरज Selfish ness
Garand गरण्ड This is round boundary besides Chakki चाक्की in which the floor gets collected
Geendhal गीँढऴ Used for the lower castes
Geetan-aali गीता-आऴी Females who sing country songs during occasions of marriage and
other festivals
Ghaal घाल " 1) This is the act of rading opponents in game of kabbadi
2) It is the supernatural thing that is used by the Shevda or tantariks to kill somebody"
Ghabal घबल Completely searched or disturbed or penetrated
Ghaint घेँट Andy or some one really different and good
Ghalna घालणा To put into
Ghan घण This is the big form of हथोडी
Ghap घप " 1) Used to denote the completeness of anything.
2) Used to illustrate sound when something enters other instantly"
Gheenka घिणका Dense
Gherna घेरणा To get something surrounded
Ghess घ्यस Used to denote the miserable condition of somebody-something
Ghiraj गिरह्ज Some bird that is cunning and with long neck
Ghup घुप Completely closed with no trace of light even
Girdi गिरडी Festival comes one day before diwali known as Choti Diwali too.
Good Bharai गोद-भराई This is the custom in which boy side goes to brides house and do formalities
to confirm the relation.
Gooja गूजा This is a small cloth that is used to close some small hole by putting into the same
Gootha गूठा Thumb
Gulaboo गुलाबो This is used for the girls to eve tease and also for the really charming and pinkish girl
Gulgulle गुलगुले These are small rounded sweet that is made in mustard oil
Guss गस Giddiness
Gyas ग्यास
Gyan ग्यान Knowledge
Haaai हाई Used for someone who is really clever in negative sense
Haakla हाकऴा One who stammers
Haalna हालणा Shaking some part of body continuously
Haar Jana हार-जाणा Exhausted completely
Halai हऴाई This is the straight row that is ploughed in the field
Handna हाँडणा To roam around
Hansli हॅसली These are the strong bones around below the neck
Harjuri हरजुरी Slight fever that comes and goes daily
Harkat हरकत Not feeling well
Harya हर्रया Used for ladies, cows or buff. Who roam around without any intent
Hasood हसोङ Witty
Hathal हाथऴ Used when something is possible by a particular person. Sometimes the animals
also got used to a person and that particular can only milk them. Ya te iske
hathal ho rahi hai
Hathi हथ्थी "1) Strong push by hand applied in kappadi to the opponent
2) Handle of something"
Hatya-Seti हत्या-सेती One who attempts only to kill
Heel हेल This is the tassala or some flat with round shaped edges filled with cow-dung or
Thepaddies
heens हीँस This is a rare tree now a days
herro हैर्रो This is the device used to plough the fields and consists of sharp iron rounded blades
Hilana हिलाणा This is the act of training the young ox to get into the fields
Inghene ईन्ग्घेनः This side
It इत Here
Jabar जबर Strong
Jangal-Johad जॅगल-जोहड Used for toilet
Jannet जणेत Barat
Janti जाँटी This is a rare tree now a days
Janu जाणू In my view
Japhta जाफता Alternative to be done
Jappa जापा Period after delivery of ladies
Jar-Jari जार-जारी Act of roaming around women-girls with wrong intention in mind
Jas जस "1) Used for wrong Doing ..used mostly in wrong way . Yo jas kisne katya bhai.
2) Famous"
Jathar जाथर Stamina, physical capability
Jeeth जेठ Desi Month from 22 May to 21 June
Jevdi जेवङी Strong and thick thread
Jhabbru झबरु Used specially for dogs with lots of hair and felsh around their neck and body
Jhad झङ Continuous rains for few days
Jhagood झगूङ Froath
Jhakra झाकरा
Jhal झाल This is the place of divide or mixing of two-three small man made rivers
Jhangad झाँगङ Fight with words to convince the other
Jhatod झटोङ Plumpy and heavy
Jhatol झटोल Losse one …mostly used for losse cott
Jhol झोल Momentem for anything without thinking by mind
Johad जोहङ Pond
Jot जोट Good pair …used mostly for well coordination among the ox and two person
Jyuun ज्यून् like wise …jaise hi

keshavdahiya
April 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM

shame to shame for dn deswal ji............:) :)

Ghee ghaal diya jamma

dndeswal
April 6th, 2006, 10:09 PM

Ghee ghaal diya jamma

Bhai Keshav, at least spare this thread - don't write any jokes or jocular-style material here. Better contribute some nice Desi words. We believe you have good stock of desi words.

अरै ऊतो, इस फोरम और मेरी इस थ्रैड नैं तै बख्श दो !

devdahiya
April 6th, 2006, 10:24 PM

Ghee ghaal diya jamma

Terre hathh kimme jarurat tein jyadda thhisllan laag ge sein iss key board pe....? Tera jaan bedda aa liya sei...tnne spelling na berra ke...yu ke chothh pathh gya hadde......Tawla Pahyan mei padd kei Deswal ji tein maffi maangg....na tei tera hokka- panni bandhh...majak ki baat matt la liye issne.

jitendershooda
April 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Deshwal ji words to be added into the current ones from [K-M] are as follows:

1 Kaabla काबला Thick Peech पेंच
2 Kaakh काख ArmPit
3 Kaakhi काखी This is the blockage made by a pehlwan on the other to not let him
move
4 Kaar कार Worth/utility
5 Kaatyak कात्यक Desi Month from 23 Oct to 21 Nov
6 Kaayn क्याँ Where
7 Kad कद When
8 Kade कदे Sometime kabhi
9 Kadi कडी This is the long rectangular wodden clab used in roofs
10 Kad-Ka-Baans कङ का बाँस Back bone
11 Kainchi कैँची This is the cross leg obstacle made by a kabbadi to the opponent to stop him
on his legs
12 Kair कैर One obsolete tree
13 Kaleva कऴेवा This is the first meal of the day a lady bring to a person ploughing in the fields
14 Kali कली This is the mukhda-antra of a ragni
15 Kali-Bhasand काऴी-भसांड Jet black
16 Kalsanda कऴ्संडा Blackish person
17 Kamand कमंद This is the ornament weared at waist by ladies
18 Kanaat कनात Tent
19 Kanjar कांजर
20 Kanphed कनफेङ
21 Kanthara कनठारा Kinara/ bank
22 Kardai करडाई Wrong time
23 Karonth करोंठ Sleeping by sides
24 Kasaar कसार This is dry sweet made of floor and eat putting ghee in it
25 Kati कती Definate
26 Kehn केह्न Side / to indicate direction
27 Khaint खेंट Rivalry ..enemity
28 Kharadh खराध Iron work
29 Khatar खातर For you/ Seva /care
30 Kheda खेड्डा Problem
31 Khijana खिजाणा Tease
32 Khilkati खिलकटी To tease or make fun of someone
33 Khinno खिन्नू Ball
34 Khodia खोङिया This is the play after marriage that groom-bride play to find the ring in the
milkish water
35 Khohl खोलः To make things clear initially
36 Khoond खूंड Quarrel/Small wodden block burried half in sand
37 Khoppad खोपङ Someone Naughty and one who take life easy
38 Khurach खुरच To remove something by some knife or sharp device
39 Khurand खुरण्ङ This is the hard skin that grows over the wounds
40 Khur-Kheechana खुर-खींचणा The act of helping the buff-cow to breed by pulling the
baby picking its Khur
41 Kilki किलकी Shrill-loud sound made to express joy and hapiness or victory
42 Kit कित Where
43 Kolla कोऴा Pillar
44 Kondhra कोंधरा This is a green vegetable
45 Koohlna कूहलणा Making painful sounds continuously during suffering
46 Koop कूप This is to store tooda (animal fodder)
47 Korva कोरवा This is the first supply of water in the fields for wheat crop
48 Kothi कोठी Rounded boundary of the well
49 Kundi-sauta कूंडी-सौटा This is rounded stone and wodden rod pair used to crush pickles etc.
50 Laa Liya ला-लिया Think off
51 Laakad लाकङ Big block of wood
52 Laat लाट Peak of some building
53 Lachar-Pachar लाचर-पचर Some thing that is loosely fastened and thus move haphazardly
54 Lachkeer लकचीर Straight line on paper or something
55 Laddhoo लङधू One who take life easy
56 Lait लेट Light
57 Lakhana लखाणा To see
58 Laksar लकसर Peengh ke bandhya aaud rassa
59 Lala लाला Used in the southern haryana for boy child
60 Lali लाली Used in the southern haryana for girl child
61 lalyak लायक Capable/sincere
62 Landi -shep लांडी-शप This is the act of picking one of the four leaves to find out who is
going to give KANYA in the game
63 Langad लांगङ This is the piece of dhoti that is used to make it tight by pressing at the back
64 Lanihar लणीहार This is used for the person who come to pick the newly married girl
65 Lapar-Lapar लपर-लपर Used to denote the talkative lady or person
66 Larajna लरजणा Movement of trees branches or others by making sound indicating the access
of weight
67 Latholli लठोऴी Medium size Lathi
68 Leeda लेडा Baniya
69 Leen लेन Line
70 Leenda लींडा Used when other patry looses match
71 Leepna लीपणा To apply solution of dung and water on ground
72 Levti लेवटी This is the bulging portion of the body of cows-buff. near to the Thans (थण)
looking at which one guess the amount of milk that can give.
73 Lharsa लाह्रसा Attaraction
74 Likadna ल्यकङणा To come out
75 Lodhna लोढणा

jitendershooda
April 7th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Words from [K-M] continued....

76 Loochra लूचरा One who walks here and there in loosely manner
77 Lukhna लुह्कणा To hide
78 Maah माह Desi Month from 21 Jan to 20 Feb
79 Maan माय्न Inside
80 Maan-Ne मानः नः attempt to convince
81 Maat माट Pot
82 Mahal माह्ऴ Bee hive
83 Makhol मखोल To make fun of someone
84 Makkar मक्कर To pretend to be sick
85 Makkarhyai मक्कर-हयाई Lady pretending to be sick to avoid work
86 MallGhech मऴघेच One who is rough and tough with no tension having no sense of doing
things
87 Manas माणस Person
88 ManasKhani माणस-खाणी Man-eater lady - dayan
89 Mangsar मंगशर Desi Month from 22 Nov to 21 Dec
90 Mariyan मरियां Used for Girl who is lean and thin
91 Maskot मसकोट
92 Matbal मतबल Means / matlab
93 Meej मेज This is a wooden sledge used to level the fields
94 Meer मेर Help / favour
95 Meinh मेंह Baarish / heavy rain
96 Mhara महारा Ours
97 Miner माइनर This is a small man made river for irrigation purposes
98 Mokla मोकऴा Enough/Ample
99 Moosa-Moosi मूसा-मूसी Rat
100 Moud मौङ This is the ornament(cap type) that a groom wear in marriage
101 Mundassa मुंडासा Tight knot of some cloth over head

Deshwal ji few of them are not having the english explaination so please look into them.

dndeswal
April 13th, 2006, 05:47 PM
The work regarding updating of dictionary has been going quite well. Till now, there have been three phases : (i) Addition of 158 words on 10 February; (ii) Addition of 260 words on 25 February and (iii) Completion of additing Devanagari version of words in the entire dictionary.

I am happy to present the fourth phase now (though it is named Part-III) : the 303 precious and pure desi words. Some words are considered ‘lupt’ words such as ‘Ghaddsanni’. Many have multiple meanings, for example word ‘Daa’ contains four meanings.

There are two documents which are attached: One is bilingual document containing these 303 new words which have been added ‘as-it-is’ on our dictionary page two days back (on 11 April 2006). It is bifurcated in two parts on account of the factor that a document of more than 100 KB capacity cannot be attached with a post. The second part of the document contains English text only. This has been done for easy reference of those readers whose computers do not support Devanagri fonts.

Please do see the dictionary page (http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language)which gives a new look now – containing a total of 1027 precious desi words written both in Devanagri and English, with English translation.

Jitender Singh Hoods needs a special thanks. More words suggested by him would appear in next phase.

For ease of reference, here is the complete list of these new 303 words (in Devanagri) which have been added two days back.

आल्ला / आड़ै / इंघे / आळ्कस / आँट / आस्सण / आट्टळ / औळ-सौळ / अराड़े-भुराड़े / अड़बंध / बा / बाध / बाळ्ना / बान / बान्यां बैठना / बाण / बांगड़ / बारा / बाल्य / बांडा / पांगळा / बडसिर / बड्डसरा / बड़ना / बगाणा / बाहवड़ आना / बैंडणा / बय्यां / बलगम / बंदड़ा / बर्जा / बत्ती / बटिया / बीजकड़ा / बेसूहरा / बीजोंढी / बीन्डी / बेल्ला / बेल्ली / भांडणा / भाठ / भीतरला / भैंगा / भिरड़ / भिठ / भोभरा / भूभळ / बिचळना / बिदरो / बीर / बिराणा / बिराणमाटी /खराबमाटी / रेह-रे-माटी / बिरचणा / बिसराणा / बोहणी / बोहड़िया / बोहिया / बोकी / बूंबळा / ब्योंत / चाखड़ा / चाळा / चक / चकरौली / चाम / चलोणा / गचोणा / घसोणा / चांचड़ा / चासना / चपड़स / चौखटा / चौथ / छीदा / चीकला / चेभड़ा / छाकटा / छेलड़े / चिरमराट / चिलत्तर / चोभळदे / चूंधरा / मिचकू / चुभक / चुर्णे / च्यामचिड़ी / च्यातर / दा / दादा-लाही / दाफड़ / डाटणा / डाटा / डंगवारा / धांग / धरण / धसड़की / ढींढरा / ढेठ / ढूंढ / डिगर जाना / डोभा / दोभळ / दोहरां / दौघड़ / डोवटी / दुभात / फाँस / फड़फड़ी / फाहड़ा / फाहवड़ा / फल्लारी / फळी / फरहड़े / फिटफिट / फटफटी / गाड़ा / गागड़ / गार / गारा / गाधळ / गैलड़ / गैल / गैल्यां / गलाफू / गंधीला / गपौड़ी / गवारिया / गवांढ / गवहांड / गवहांडी / घड़साणी / घेंसळा / घनखरे / घण / घरघुल्ली / घट्टा / घट्टू / घेवर / घोट्टा / पेम्मक / पीको / गिच / गील्यां / गिन्ढळ / गिट्टळ / गिन्ढोळा / गिरड़ी / गूंधणी / गुड़भत्ता / गुड़गामा / गुळमेक / ग्याळ / हाळी / हाँडणा / हल्लण / हळस / हळस्या / हंढोर / हंघा / हाऊ / हौदी / हेल / हिंडौळा / जनेत / जींगड़ा / झाँगण / झाँखरा / झड़ / रोह / झामा / झीखणा / झोळ / जूण / बंधेज / जुगाड़ / काबर / काळजा / काल्ली / कामिल / काण / काँचला / कान्ना / काँध / काँत / कढिया / कमोई / करड़ाई / कौळी भरणा / कीला / बीघा / मरले / कील्ली / खाड़ा / खगणा / खसणा / खखारणा / खाळ / खाणोंधा / खसूंटणी / खटेबा / खीस / खिंढाणा / खोभड़ा / खुरेहरा / खुरहंड / ख्यास / किल्की / किराड़ / कोड्डा / कोको / कोल्ली / कूण / कूंजड़ा / माली-कूजड़ा / कोत्तक / कुल्हां / कुल्लाबात्ती / कुंष / कुज्जी / क्यार / क्यारी / ला / लबढीक / लहच / लाँगड़ / लहंडा / लंगार / लंका / लणिहार / लीचड़ / ल्हार्सा / लिकड़ना / माड़ा-मोटा / चुन्ना-सा / केन्ना-सा / माँजण / महकार / मुखार / मंडेर / मंग्गर / मसकौड़ा / मतबल / मौजिज / मेरा-मटा / मेरा-बटा / म्हाळ / माह्ळ / मोख / मोखा / मोग्घा / मुँह-काण / मुस्टंडा / नौहरा / नेई / नम्बरदार / नेत्ता / न्हाँस / न्हाँसटी /
न्हाँसपड़ा / न्हाँसपेटा / निचला / निखड़ू दूध / न्याणा / न्यौळी / ओसरा / पाड़ लगाना / पाड़छा / पाधरा / पाळी / पाँट / पावसणा / पैर / पलेज / पराळ / पटबीजणा / पटेरा / पथवाड़ा / पौळी / पवाड़ा / पीपणी / पैड़काळा / पैंढा / पिछवाड़ / झा / पिचौंतरा / राँधणा / रापड़ / रड़क / रास / रास्सा / रौळी / रई / रजभाया / रजवाहा / रींगट / रींगटा / रींटला / रीप्फळना / रौळा-रापडा / रूँख / रुपैया / आन्ना / अधन्ना / पैसा / धेल्ला / कौड्डी / साई / साँग / सक्करपारा / सलोथरी / समाई / सण / सणी / सरनाळी / सीम / सेर / पाइया / छटांक / तौळा / मासा / रत्ती / चावळ / सिमाणा / सिंधारा / सिंगवाणा / सिणकला / सिर्ड़ी / सूगला / सोद्धी / सुहाळी / सुनपत / सूहर / ताखा / टाँट / टंडीरा / टांडा-टेरा / तर्हो / तरड़ा / टटकारी / तौल्ला / तौड़ / तौड़ा / टीटवा / ठेग्गा / ठेठ / ढेठ / ठिगणा / तिवाया / तूंबड़ी / टूंडा / टोप्पा / टुकेक / तुर्हा / ऊड़ै / उंघे / ऊकड़ू / जाबता

devdahiya
April 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM
The work regarding updating of dictionary has been going quite well. Till now, there have been three phases : (i) Addition of 158 words on 10 February; (ii) Addition of 260 words on 25 February and (iii) Completion of additing Devanagari version of words in the entire dictionary.

I am happy to present the fourth phase now (though it is named Part-III) : the 303 precious and pure desi words. Some words are considered ‘lupt’ words such as ‘Ghaddsanni’. Many have multiple meanings, for example word ‘Daa’ contains four meanings.

There are two documents which are attached: One is bilingual document containing these 303 new words which have been added ‘as-it-is’ on our dictionary page two days back (on 11 April 2006). It is bifurcated in two parts on account of the factor that a document of more than 100 KB capacity cannot be attached with a post. The second part of the document contains English text only. This has been done for easy reference of those readers whose computers do not support Devanagri fonts.

Please do see the dictionary page (http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language)which gives a new look now – containing a total of 1027 precious desi words written both in Devanagri and English, with English translation.

Jitender Singh Hoods needs a special thanks. More words suggested by him would appear in next phase.

For ease of reference, here is the complete list of these new 303 words (in Devanagri) which have been added two days back.

आल्ला / आड़ै / इंघे / आळ्कस / आँट / आस्सण / आट्टळ / औळ-सौळ / अराड़े-भुराड़े / अड़बंध / बा / बाध / बाळ्ना / बान / बान्यां बैठना / बाण / बांगड़ / बारा / बाल्य / बांडा / पांगळा / बडसिर / बड्डसरा / बड़ना / बगाणा / बाहवड़ आना / बैंडणा / बय्यां / बलगम / बंदड़ा / बर्जा / बत्ती / बटिया / बीजकड़ा / बेसूहरा / बीजोंढी / बीन्डी / बेल्ला / बेल्ली / भांडणा / भाठ / भीतरला / भैंगा / भिरड़ / भिठ / भोभरा / भूभळ / बिचळना / बिदरो / बीर / बिराणा / बिराणमाटी /खराबमाटी / रेह-रे-माटी / बिरचणा / बिसराणा / बोहणी / बोहड़िया / बोहिया / बोकी / बूंबळा / ब्योंत / चाखड़ा / चाळा / चक / चकरौली / चाम / चलोणा / गचोणा / घसोणा / चांचड़ा / चासना / चपड़स / चौखटा / चौथ / छीदा / चीकला / चेभड़ा / छाकटा / छेलड़े / चिरमराट / चिलत्तर / चोभळदे / चूंधरा / मिचकू / चुभक / चुर्णे / च्यामचिड़ी / च्यातर / दा / दादा-लाही / दाफड़ / डाटणा / डाटा / डंगवारा / धांग / धरण / धसड़की / ढींढरा / ढेठ / ढूंढ / डिगर जाना / डोभा / दोभळ / दोहरां / दौघड़ / डोवटी / दुभात / फाँस / फड़फड़ी / फाहड़ा / फाहवड़ा / फल्लारी / फळी / फरहड़े / फिटफिट / फटफटी / गाड़ा / गागड़ / गार / गारा / गाधळ / गैलड़ / गैल / गैल्यां / गलाफू / गंधीला / गपौड़ी / गवारिया / गवांढ / गवहांड / गवहांडी / घड़साणी / घेंसळा / घनखरे / घण / घरघुल्ली / घट्टा / घट्टू / घेवर / घोट्टा / पेम्मक / पीको / गिच / गील्यां / गिन्ढळ / गिट्टळ / गिन्ढोळा / गिरड़ी / गूंधणी / गुड़भत्ता / गुड़गामा / गुळमेक / ग्याळ / हाळी / हाँडणा / हल्लण / हळस / हळस्या / हंढोर / हंघा / हाऊ / हौदी / हेल / हिंडौळा / जनेत / जींगड़ा / झाँगण / झाँखरा / झड़ / रोह / झामा / झीखणा / झोळ / जूण / बंधेज / जुगाड़ / काबर / काळजा / काल्ली / कामिल / काण / काँचला / कान्ना / काँध / काँत / कढिया / कमोई / करड़ाई / कौळी भरणा / कीला / बीघा / मरले / कील्ली / खाड़ा / खगणा / खसणा / खखारणा / खाळ / खाणोंधा / खसूंटणी / खटेबा / खीस / खिंढाणा / खोभड़ा / खुरेहरा / खुरहंड / ख्यास / किल्की / किराड़ / कोड्डा / कोको / कोल्ली / कूण / कूंजड़ा / माली-कूजड़ा / कोत्तक / कुल्हां / कुल्लाबात्ती / कुंष / कुज्जी / क्यार / क्यारी / ला / लबढीक / लहच / लाँगड़ / लहंडा / लंगार / लंका / लणिहार / लीचड़ / ल्हार्सा / लिकड़ना / माड़ा-मोटा / चुन्ना-सा / केन्ना-सा / माँजण / महकार / मुखार / मंडेर / मंग्गर / मसकौड़ा / मतबल / मौजिज / मेरा-मटा / मेरा-बटा / म्हाळ / माह्ळ / मोख / मोखा / मोग्घा / मुँह-काण / मुस्टंडा / नौहरा / नेई / नम्बरदार / नेत्ता / न्हाँस / न्हाँसटी /
न्हाँसपड़ा / न्हाँसपेटा / निचला / निखड़ू दूध / न्याणा / न्यौळी / ओसरा / पाड़ लगाना / पाड़छा / पाधरा / पाळी / पाँट / पावसणा / पैर / पलेज / पराळ / पटबीजणा / पटेरा / पथवाड़ा / पौळी / पवाड़ा / पीपणी / पैड़काळा / पैंढा / पिछवाड़ / झा / पिचौंतरा / राँधणा / रापड़ / रड़क / रास / रास्सा / रौळी / रई / रजभाया / रजवाहा / रींगट / रींगटा / रींटला / रीप्फळना / रौळा-रापडा / रूँख / रुपैया / आन्ना / अधन्ना / पैसा / धेल्ला / कौड्डी / साई / साँग / सक्करपारा / सलोथरी / समाई / सण / सणी / सरनाळी / सीम / सेर / पाइया / छटांक / तौळा / मासा / रत्ती / चावळ / सिमाणा / सिंधारा / सिंगवाणा / सिणकला / सिर्ड़ी / सूगला / सोद्धी / सुहाळी / सुनपत / सूहर / ताखा / टाँट / टंडीरा / टांडा-टेरा / तर्हो / तरड़ा / टटकारी / तौल्ला / तौड़ / तौड़ा / टीटवा / ठेग्गा / ठेठ / ढेठ / ठिगणा / तिवाया / तूंबड़ी / टूंडा / टोप्पा / टुकेक / तुर्हा / ऊड़ै / उंघे / ऊकड़ू / जाबता

This will be a priceless property in times to come.Mind my words it will be a rare thing in another 50-60 years time.I can see it through.This will be a great record of sorts for the next to next generation. Great initiative by Deswal ji....mein tei innki ek-2 copy dhrran laag gya suun.Lagge raho! Mein kuchh aur shabbd bhi post karungga.

sunitahooda
April 13th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Few words to add....
Kungar(easygoing youngman)
Gheslaa(motta lath)
Udhmass( rolla)
Naas ki taati(reason of some destruction)

tejvirsingh
April 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM
The treasure of ‘desi’ words

Dear colleagues,

Vide my post named “Haryanvi words ka khazaana (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?p=72761#post72761)” of 26 January 2006 under Dev Dahiya’s thread “Chhola tau. (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11793)” in Humor Forum, I had underlined the importance of adding new words in the Haryanavi Dictionary, which used to have just 323 words (which I counted after taking a print-out) on that date. There is a “Rajasthani Language” dictionary too available on Jatland.com which, as on today, contains 189 words. Members knowing this language may put some effort to expand it a little bit.

I am sure Haryanavi language (which is still considered to be a ‘dialect’) contains much more rich vocabulary than listed in the dictionary which was rarely updated after its launch several years ago. Since now there is a provision that members themselves can edit or add new words by using ‘Wiki’, in my opinion we should make sincere efforts to update it. One member (Mr. Devender Dangi) had made effort in November 2005 and added some new words.

During the course of last couple of weeks, I have been able to compile a list of 158 odd pure desi words and have added them in the dictionary, along with translation. This 1st phase has been completed yesterday, 9 February 2006. For ready reference, I am attaching the list of new words in MS-Word format – see attachment. After this task, as on today, the Haryanavi Dictionary contains a total of 481 odd words.

All of us should realize that with changing times, switching over the medium of school education from Hindi to English and for some of us being away from the motherland, the new generation is losing the grip on the mother-tongue and in some cases, a certain percentage of them have actually started hating the tongue itself, terming it a rude and rough dialect or ‘gawaaron ki jubaan’. To some extent, I had explained this factor in my post Facts about Jats/ Jat Society (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69327#post69327) of 2nd January 2006

There is a Punjabi factor too. I had put one post called “A mix of good and bad elements (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69212#post69212)” in the thread” Are Punjabis Liars? (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8925) Which could explain this Punjabi factor to some extent.

Having myself studied Punjabi in school and seeing the friction between Punjabis and all of us, I can definitely say that no other language is as rude or rough as Punjabi. But we have to compliment our Sikh brothers who have, with their sincere efforts, made Punjabi a respectful language. Gurmukhi script started in 17th century only, at the time of Guru Gobind Singh – prior to that, only Devanagri script was in use. Guru Granth Sahib, in its original form, is stated to be written in Devanagri only. There is no reason for us to start hating our own mother tongue which is not as rude or rough as others say.

Moreover with the use of new technologies, modern agricultural instruments are common now and desi words related to bullock carts, traditional hand-tools, housing patterns, livestocks etc. are being forgotton by the new generation. In Haryanavi, there are dozens of words about buffalo only and many more relating to bullock-cart, mud houses, traditional kitchen and cooking methods and so on. Hence, preservation of words, both in written and spoken form, is a must.

All of you would appreciate that compilation of pure desi words, translating them accurately and putting them one-by-one while sitting on-line, is a time-consuming and laborious task. Interested members may please take a print-out of the document (and those of the entire dictionary pages) and mistakes in translation etc., if noticed, may please be pointed out.

I am starting compiling more words from various posts in different forums and intend to present one more such list in about 2 months’ time. Those who are unable to edit on-line, may suggest the words to me to be added to the new list. Only those words should be brought to the attention which are purely of desi origin, are not part of our dictionary now and are not used in written form in Hindi language. Hindi itself contains thousands of desi words but since these have become common now, there is no need to overburden the Jatland dictionary with those words.

Many thanks for your attention.

Deswal jee,
kamal ka kam kiya hi bhai bahut badhiya,
ak request se ak word aur add kana hai "CHOTALA" aajkal har langde ko CHOTALA kahate hai aur ye word bhi ak jat ne hi famous kiya hi.

sunitahooda
April 19th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Few more:

Chaamra- golden shade or Bolnde hair color
Chambhochali-Tej tarraar lugaai ladaai jhagdey mai
Reenkna-
Randhna-Pakana(to cook)
Tarddana-Doodh ko thanda karney ke liye
Billotnaa-Billi ka bachcha
Soosa- Khargosh ka bachcha
Cheekla and Chebdaa.....i think already added

downtoearth
April 19th, 2006, 07:43 PM
dn deswaal saab,,,,,,nuey laagey rahoo,,, haryanvi ney nikhaaraan pey,,,,,,,,,,,oxford dictionary fail kar di se kattiii,,,,,,,,,,,gr8 going ,,,, keep it up

sunitahooda
April 20th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Gutt marna/Gutt pyana- gutha dabh kai muthi bana kai kisi ko marna
Guddaliyan chalna-ghutno ke ball chaalna

suneet_rana
April 21st, 2006, 08:20 AM
good sunita ji

keep it uppppp

jitendershooda
April 22nd, 2006, 12:41 AM
Deshwal ji Words from [N-P]:

1 Naali-Khali नाऴी-खाऴी drains in fields
2 Nabiya aala saal नबिया का साल During 1920's 30's when there were lots of rains and flodded
3 NakkarMode नाक्कर-मोडे Not convincing, making false excuses
4 Nassadhi नस्स्धी Unlucky
5 Nautanki नौटंकी Beautiful women used in Mehar Singhs raganis
6 Neem Jhadai नीम झडाई
7 Netham नेठय्म Shayad
8 Nooni नूणी Tindi Ghee
9 Nyoon न्यून That side
10 Odaraya ओदराया
11 Ood औड Side
12 Oojne औजणे This is the deep desire that a women have during her pregnancy days to eat
some particular dish
13 Osaan औसाण Fursat, easy time
14 Paatna पाटणा To burst
15 Paij पैज Actions taken in jealousy
16 Panna पान्ना It is the block in a village
17 Paseej पसीज Dravit, To have soft corner
18 Passo पस्सो Palm full
19 Patera पटेरा Bulk of Sarkandas
20 Patmelli पटमेऴी
21 Patri पतरी Ornament of women
22 Phalli फाऴी
23 Phaphat फाफट Dhong
24 Phoos फूस
25 Pichwa पिछवा Wind blowing from west to east
26 Pirwa पिरवा Wind blowing from east to west
27 Pothia पोथिया

jitendershooda
April 22nd, 2006, 12:44 AM
Deshwal ji words from [Q-T]:

1 Raadh राध Puss
2 Raal राऴ Saliva coming from mouth
3 Radda रद्दा This is the hit made by his palm on neck by a pehlwan
4 Reeni रीणी This is the small particals coming out of Tooda
5 Regha रेघा
6 Rehda रहङा Cart
7 Rehdoo रहङू Cart
8 Roj रोह्ज Neel Gaen
9 Rooka रूका Big Shout
10 Saajinde साजींदे Group of musicians
11 Saal साऴ Kuccha Floor
12 Saaman सामण Desi Month from 23 July to 22 august
13 Sahem सहम Sure
14 Salone सलोणे This is the used for RakhshaBandhan
15 Samai समाई Bearing strength
16 Sarkanda सरकन्डा
17 Seem सीम Boundary
18 Seengre सींगरे This is the fruit that comes on reddish after being riped
19 Soolekh सुलेख Handwriting
20 Soor सौर This is used for ground water level
21 Subha सुभा Nature
22 Taair टैर tyre
23 Teeka टीका
24 Teep टीप Tube
25 Thalli ठाल्ली Leisure
26 Thansra ठांसरा This is the remains of the mustard and arhar etc. crop used as fuel
27 Thapki थपकी Pat on the back
28 Tindi टीण्डी Nooni ghee
29 Tonda टूण्डा One who has one or two of his hands chopped
30 Tooda तूङा Fodder for animals
31 Tool तौल Weight
32 Treellli - Thelli ठेली Trolli
33 Tughe टुघ्घे These are the small stones used to play a game by children

jitendershooda
April 22nd, 2006, 12:46 AM
Deshwal ji words from [U-Z]:

1 Ude ऊङ There
2 Ughad ऊघाड To uncover
3 Ujhal ऊझल To overflow
4 Umahya उमाह्या Deep desire
5 UsarSinda उसरसींडा Very naughty
6 Ut उत there
7 Waar वार late
8 Waar-pher वार-फेर This is a tradition when ladies of the village give money to groom
9 Yanna याणा Small and not wise
10 Zhota झौटा Male buffalo

dndeswal
June 2nd, 2006, 02:30 AM
Dear Jatlanders and other readers,

In Sanskrit, the letter or alphabet is called ‘Akshar’ which means something which does not decay/vanish. Vedas have survived till today only because of their purity and accuracy of language and its rigid grammatical structure which has been proven by today’s advanced computer technology.

Since this is in continuation of my earlier posts in this thread, I am not elaborating much on the subject but am happy to announce that the fifth phase of expansion of Haryanavi Dictionary has been completed yesterday, 31 May 2006 and another set of 318 pure Desi words has been added in the relevant dictionary page (http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language). Our dictionary may now be called really a rich one – it contains not only the original words with Devanagri script but also their translation into English. Hindi equivalents have also been inserted wherever necessary. This version contains majority of the words suggested by Jitender Hooda and some other colleagues. And where there is a will, there is a way – I have been able to collect many words from various sources including from the posts of this site and my own memory.

After this phase, the Haryanavi Dictionary of this site contains a total 1345 words.

In the current phase, a short section about Desi Calendar has also been added at the end of Dictionary page (After ‘Z’ section) which briefly explains the composition of calendar, names of months both in Sanskrit and their desi version which all of us use today, and also the names of days in a fortnight. However, all these words contained in the Desi calendar have not been counted in the total word-count as explained above.

Attached below is the document in MS-Word which has been inserted in the dictionary at appropriate places. The document is in two parts, for the purpose of facilitation of attachment at the end of this post. Those interested may please save it or take a print-out. Devanagri letters would be visible if your computer contains Hindi font ‘Mangal’.

And for ready reference, listed below are the new words which have been added in the dictionary. The words are really ‘Akshar’ or eternal - they never die. See yourself – if we read and utter them with patience, these words render a magical effect :

[Sorry for inconvenience : since the browser is not accepting more text on this post, please see the Hindi text on next page].

dndeswal
June 2nd, 2006, 02:56 AM
........CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS PAGE ....

आगे की (नई) / आबल / आख्यर / आँधळा/ आँदळा / अयाल / आल / अँधोड़ / अणमीता / अरळी / असल / असल का / ओळा / बाड़ / बाड़ी / बाट / बहमी / बेँजू / बैरण / बकाण / बकवाद / बणी / बरानी / बाराह-बानी / बरतणा / बरगा /बरगे/ बरमा / बीझळ / बीजू / बीत्ता / बीटा / बीस्सा / भड़क / भिनोण / भिनोवण/ भोभा / भोडा / भोडळ / बिड़ा / बिरडाना / बोलता / चा / चालू / चंभोचाळी / चामरा / चर / चौढे / चौटाला / चौथड़ / छान / छिकमा / चौगरदा / चीचड़ / चीस / चिणाई / चूघड़ा / चून / छयोरी / दाँतण / दाहना / डाट / डाकळ / देग / देगची / धाईं / ढीम / ढीम-सिरा / धिंगताणा / ढोबरे / ढोढा / ढूँगा / धोत / डोभ / डूबा-ढेरी / दुहाथड़ा / दुतेड़ा / ऐलम/ फैलणा / फळसा / फेन / फाँकी/ फरवट / फोक्का / फोक्की / फूहड़ / फौसरा / फुसफुसी / फ्यावरी / गाध / गास / गदूद / गड़ूस / गैलड़ा / गैलड़े / गलेफ / गळजोट/ गळामी / गलूर / गरेड़ा / गरड- फरड / घाल / घाट /घालणा / घप / घेरणा / घ्यस / घिणका / घोळिया / घुप / गिरहज / गोद-भराई / गोल्ह / गोळा-ळाठी / गूजा /गुद्दी / गुड़हंबा / गुढळियां चलना / गुलाबो / गुलगुले / गुळझट / गुरमुंडे / गस / गुट मारना / हाई / हालणा /हार-जाणा /हळाई / हलक / हॅसळी / हरजुरी / हरारत / हर्रया / हसोड़ / हत्थी / हत्या-सेती / हींस / हेज / हेजला / हैर्रो / हिलाणा / हुल्ली / ईन्ग्घेन / इत / जाणगेड़ा / जाए-रोए / भाई-रोए / अनपूते / जंगल-जोहड / जाँटी / जापा / जर-जारी / जस / जाथर / झबरु / झाल / झाँगड़ / झटोड़ / झटोल / जोट / जुगाळी / ज्यांहें-तैं / जिब्बै-तै / काबला / काखी / कार / क्याँ / कचकची / कद / कड़ / कदे / किबै / कड़ी / कड़ का बाँस / कैँची / कळेवा / कली / कळसंडा / कमंद / कनात / कांजर / कनखड़ / कनफेड़/ कनठारा / करोंठ / कती / कत्ती / केभरा / केह्न / किंघांनै / खेंट / खखाट/ खखाटा / खान्ना-खुड्ढी / खराध / खातर / खेड्डा / खिजाणा / खिल / खिलकटी / खिन्नू /

.........CONTINUED ON NEXT POST ...

dndeswal
June 2nd, 2006, 03:02 AM
खोड़िया / खोल्ह / खूंड / खुभात / खुद मारना/ खुर-खींचणा / कोढाणै / कोळा / कोंधरा / कूहलणा /कूप / कोठार / कोठी / कुचेळी / कुळमुळाना / कुणबा धाणी / ला-लिया / लचर-पचर / लकचीर / लड़धू / लखाणा / लकसर / लाला / लाली / लरजणा / लठोळी / लेडा / लेट / लेटड़ी / लीपणा / लूचरा / लोट / लोवै /लुगड़ी / माचणा / माँह / माट / माहवट / मक्कर / मक्कर-हयाई / मळघेच / मळघेच / मंड्या रहना / मरौड़ / मरियां / मरियां / मेज / मेर / मेड्ढा / माइनर / मिजान / मौड़ / नाळी-खाळी / नबिया आळा साल /नाक्कर-मोड़े / नसद्धी / नेठय्म / निर्भाग / निर्णाबासी / निवार / नूणी / न्याऊ / न्यून / ओडा / ओहड़ी / औजणे / औसाण / पाच्चर / पासणा / पाटणा / पाटड़ा / पड़गड़ाट /पैज / पान्ना / परांत / पसीज / पस्सो / पतरी / पीढी का पलंग / फाळी / फाहळी / फाफट / पिछवा / पिरवा / पोथिया / कैर / रद्दा / राध / राऴ / राँद काटना / रंभाणा /राँधणा / रींकणा / रीणी / साचीहें / साढू / साजिंदे / साहबी / सहम / साहमी / सलोणा / सलोणे / सामणू / सौळा / सीळा / सील्हा / सींगरे / सेवड़ा / सूसा / सुसाट / स्योर / तलाकी / तात्ता / टौर / टेभळा / टीमला / टीप / थळी / ठाल्ली / टीण्डी / तूड़ा / ट्रेली, ठेली / टुघ्घे / टुग्गे / ऊघाड़ा / ऊझल / उळगा / उसरसींडा / उत / ऊड़ै / ऊबरम-सूबरां / वार / वारी / वार-फेर / याणा / जळतखोरा / चैत / बसाख / जेठ / साढ / सामण / भादवा / आसौज / कात्तिक / मंगसिर / पौह / माह / फागण / पिड़वा / दोज, दूज / तीज / चौथी, च्योथ / पांचमी, पांचैंह / छठ, छठी / सातमी, सात्तैं / आठमी, आठैं / नौमी / दसमी / ग्यास / द्वादसी / तेवस, तेरस / चौदस / मावस, अमावस / पणवासी, पूर्णमासी /

[ Sorry for inconvenience - since the browser was not accepting the entire text in one lot, the post had to be split in three parts]

ritu
June 2nd, 2006, 05:58 PM
sir aapke ye wale word to me pad pa rahi hu par upar wale nahi aisa kyo.aapke kahne se download to kiye the.par saare kyo nahi dikhte mujhe

खोड़िया / खोल्ह / खूंड / खुभात / खुद मारना/ खुर-खींचणा / कोढाणै / कोळा / कोंधरा / कूहलणा /कूप / कोठार / कोठी / कुचेळी / कुळमुळाना / कुणबा धाणी / ला-लिया / लचर-पचर / लकचीर / लड़धू / लखाणा / लकसर / लाला / लाली / लरजणा / लठोळी / लेडा / लेट / लेटड़ी / लीपणा / लूचरा / लोट / लोवै /लुगड़ी / माचणा / माँह / माट / माहवट / मक्कर / मक्कर-हयाई / मळघेच / मळघेच / मंड्या रहना / मरौड़ / मरियां / मरियां / मेज / मेर / मेड्ढा / माइनर / मिजान / मौड़ / नाळी-खाळी / नबिया आळा साल /नाक्कर-मोड़े / नसद्धी / नेठय्म / निर्भाग / निर्णाबासी / निवार / नूणी / न्याऊ / न्यून / ओडा / ओहड़ी / औजणे / औसाण / पाच्चर / पासणा / पाटणा / पाटड़ा / पड़गड़ाट /पैज / पान्ना / परांत / पसीज / पस्सो / पतरी / पीढी का पलंग / फाळी / फाहळी / फाफट / पिछवा / पिरवा / पोथिया / कैर / रद्दा / राध / राऴ / राँद काटना / रंभाणा /राँधणा / रींकणा / रीणी / साचीहें / साढू / साजिंदे / साहबी / सहम / साहमी / सलोणा / सलोणे / सामणू / सौळा / सीळा / सील्हा / सींगरे / सेवड़ा / सूसा / सुसाट / स्योर / तलाकी / तात्ता / टौर / टेभळा / टीमला / टीप / थळी / ठाल्ली / टीण्डी / तूड़ा / ट्रेली, ठेली / टुघ्घे / टुग्गे / ऊघाड़ा / ऊझल / उळगा / उसरसींडा / उत / ऊड़ै / ऊबरम-सूबरां / वार / वारी / वार-फेर / याणा / जळतखोरा / चैत / बसाख / जेठ / साढ / सामण / भादवा / आसौज / कात्तिक / मंगसिर / पौह / माह / फागण / पिड़वा / दोज, दूज / तीज / चौथी, च्योथ / पांचमी, पांचैंह / छठ, छठी / सातमी, सात्तैं / आठमी, आठैं / नौमी / दसमी / ग्यास / द्वादसी / तेवस, तेरस / चौदस / मावस, अमावस / पणवासी, पूर्णमासी /

[ Sorry for inconvenience - since the browser was not accepting the entire text in one lot, the post had to be split in three parts]

dndeswal
June 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
sir aapke ye wale word to me pad pa rahi hu par upar wale nahi aisa kyo.aapke kahne se download to kiye the.par saare kyo nahi dikhte mujhe

Please download font file 'Mangal' again and insert in 'fonts' folder under 'Control Panel' - then restart the machine. Yours seems to be a Win2000 PC.

lrburdak
August 13th, 2006, 11:56 AM
The Rajasthani language on Jatland is avalable at URL

http://www.jatland.com/home/Rajasthani_Language

Haryanvi and Rajasthani Languages are being develped on Jat land Wiki. The Rajasthani Language has attracted attention of the Johns Hopkins University Massachusetts Avenue, and has appreciated the efforts. He searched my E-mail some where from Internet and mailed me. I am reproducing his E-mail as under:

“Namaste Laxman Ji,
I saw your work on Wiki and it's very nice. Though some entries need to be edited for linguistic purpose. Keep it up. Rightnow I am busy in Rajasthani grammar. bhot bhot ram ram,
Lakhan
------------------
Lakhan Gusain, Ph.D., Coordinator and Professorial Lecturer, South Asian Languages Program, The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), The Johns Hopkins University , 1619 Massachusetts Avenue, NW#304
Washington, D.C. 20036-2213”

dndeswal
September 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
As Laxman Burdak ji has pointed out above, it is good news that our Jat vocabulary is drawing others’ attention. I hope sometime in near future, some Indian university (MDU etc.) will recognize our task and use the material contained in Haryanavi Dictionary of this site, in some of its publications.

Over the time, I have been able to collect some more desi words and have just added them to Dictionary page. These 57 words are reproduced below, in Devanagri only.

The task of enrichment of our dictionary is continuing slowly, but steadily.

आलथी-पालथी / आसणपाटी / अळ्झेड़ा / उळ्झेड़ा / अंटा / फाडिल-अंटा / औळिया / बागर / बीझा / बीझण / चरमख / चरवा / छेलड़े / डाँस / दाड़ा मारना / दड़ मारना / धरती-धकेल / डिठौरा / गामौली / गरळ / गिन्दौड़ा / गोफिया / गोहरी / घपड़चौथ / घिरणी / गुचकी / हाण / जातक / जेह / झूरखा / करम-ठोक / खिन्नू / कर्गस / कसौरा / खळ / खोर / लाद / लेवटी / लोढणा / माहल / मोगरा/ मोगरी / नावड़ना / नीमझडाई / निवाया / ओख / औढ़ाणै / ओटणा / पटमेऴी / पाटड़ा-फेर / पौंहची / सेधणा / सूंडवा / सुळ्झेड़ा / सुल्टा / टौरा / ठाढू / ठेहल / टुंडकणा

lrburdak
September 4th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks Deswalji,

We can standardize our dictionaries by using IAST sign inventory and conventions. In that case one knowing English language can also pronounce our Jat words properly. International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration (IAST) is the academic standard for the Romanization of Sanskrit. IAST is the de-facto standard used in printed publications, like books and magazines, and with the wider availability of Unicode fonts, it is also increasingly used for electronic texts. It is based on a standard established by the Congress of Orientalists at Athens in 1912.

The IAST allows a lossless transliteration of Devanagari (and other Indic alphabets, such as Śāradā), and as such represents not only the phonemes of Sanskrit, but allows essentially phonetic transcription (e.g. Visarga ḥ is an allophone of word-final r and s).

The National Library at Calcutta romanization, intended for the romanization of all Indic scripts, is an extension of IAST. We can use symbols available on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAST

jitendershooda
September 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Namaskar Deshwal ji,

There are few new words to be added into the dictionary. Currently I am posting from [A-f]. Deshwal ji bahut dino ke baad dekhi mene dictionary and your translation/explanation task is really appreciated as the explanation done is really good er kae jagah to ghee sa ghal jya hai padh ke ne. Few words are without meanings, please put some time on them too.

New words to be added into the haryanvi dictionary from [A-f]
1 Aadhal - आढऴ
2 Aahlana - आहलणा Nest
3 Aahoo - आहो Yes
4 Aaid - ऐड Aaidi - ऐड मारता हांडे जा है
5 Aalan - आलणचणे का चून लस्सी मेन घोळणा राबडी॓ऽकढी के लिये
6 AalaRashi - आला-राशी Hotch Potch/ not in mannered or arranged manner
7 Aantan - आटण A round hard skin that is formed of prolonged sitting in one posture
8 Adoossa - अडूसा Putting dhoti/salwar into a knot just to raise the height of it
9 Agao - अगाऊ In advance
10 Aloona - अलूणा Without Salt, Un affective person
11 Andaas - अंडास Obstacle
12 An-Hey - आंहे Used to call sister, Maa, Dadi etc. like आंहे मां
13 Ankad - आंकङ Stubborn
14 An-Re - आंरः Used to call brother, son etc.
15 Ardoo - अरडू Un-Mannered
16 Ausan-na - औसण-णा Goonth-na -
17 Alseda - अऴसेङा Wild grass and plants grown in bulk in a small area and having
possiblity of poisonous creatures
18 Bakass - बाक्कस Control
19 Bakhat - बखत Time
20 Baraj-na बरजणा To Scold
21 Barkat - बरकत State of benefit
22 Beer-Marad - बीर-मरद Wife-Husband
23 Behoo - बेहू
24 Bhardanna - भारदाना Lots of clothes scattered in an unmannered way
25 Bigu - बीगू Small insects found on dogs
26 Bitli - बिटऴी To wrap
27 Chanass - छाणस
28 Chant - चांट Small scar
29 Chirmathi - चिरमठी Small naughty girl with sharp features
30 Chokha - चौखा Used to deny/agree the others point with strongly
31 Chollai - चौऴाई Green vegetable usefull in stones
32 Dahun - दाहूं Fully/Completely
33 Dakoot - डाकोत One who collects mustard oil on saturdays
34 Dehka - दहका Stunning fealing
35 Dhanasba - धनसबा Illness caused of a wound due to rusted iron which may lead to
death
36 Dhisal-na - ढिसऴणा To lower down in prestige and work
37 Dhisra - ढिसरा
38 Dholl - धौल Slap with lots of sound and pressure
39 Dhoocha - ढूच्चा Someone having physical defects in legs or lower back
40 Dhyadi - ध्याडी Wage
41 Digna - डिगणा To get away a bit
42 Enhein - अंहः Nope
43 Faida - फैदा Benefit
44 Fanchar - फांच्चर Small sharp wooden piece

jitendershooda
September 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Deshwal ji Namaskar,

[G-K] ke kuch nae shabd hein, please include them as well; when have some time.

1 Dukadiya दुकडिया Hall of two शहतीर
2 Gadrana गडराणा To snatch back his hands, to deceive
3 Gaintal गैंतल One with no thought of families pride and can drop to any level in behaviour
4 Gajban गजबण Ultimate beautyful lady
5 Gakhadna गाखङना To deny or behave with stubbornness and rudeness
6 Galle गऴे Tonsils
7 Gallgatte गऴघटे Lotus (Not sure)
8 Ganthoo गंठू Tonsils
9 Gharmolli घरमोऴी Water in round circular fashion leading to sink
10 Gharwassa घरवासा Family life
11 Gilgila गिलगिला Spongy
12 Girari गिरारी Gear
13 Goda-Nivan गोडा-निवाण Going after a dead person to his home for sympathy
14 Golla गोऴा The upper portion of sugarcane
15 Haadyal हाड्यल A very lean person with no flesh over bones
16 Hakda हाकडा Strong intake and exhale of air with sound during illness, mostly used for a child
17 Hazyat हाज्यत Morning call
18 Heeyoooo हीयो Sound used to call buffaloes
19 Herva हेरवा Strong Attachment
20 Hilki हिल्की This is the shrill sound made by a child wept for long after and while weeping
21 Humbeey हम्बै Yes
22 Hunkara हुंकारा Sounding to show that I am agree
23 Hurrrrr हुर्र् Sound used to tease
24 Ikadiya इकङिया Hall with one शहतीर
25 It-aud/ithod इत-ओडऽइतोह्ङ This side/here
26 Jeir जेर It is a slippery jelly that is excreted at the time of birth of a Katda/katia
27 Jham झाम Favourable environment
28 Jheel झील Low lying area
29 Kanya/kayn कांयाऽकाण Duty
30 Kattaiyye कट्टैये To create headache asking or saying for a particular task
31 KhagadKhanna खाग्गड-खान्ना A disturbance created by a few by making it a routine visit
32 KhapparBharni खप्पर-भरणी Very dangerous and volatile lady who can divide and spark quarrel between families
33 Khena खेणा Lightening
34 Khossan खोस्सण To mess up the clothes
35 Khusat-na खुसटणा Stretching of clothes under pressure
36 Kirkarat किरकिराट The feeling when some sand got mixed up with some eatable

msingh
September 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM
bhai deepak mokka de de,,,choree ne te ibbe bujha hee thaa arr tane jawab gare diya ,,,,,
http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language,,,,aap rok to sakte hee nahin apane aap ko ,,,,,,,bechara nau sooche tha ke ,,ke idea diya se maine dictionaray banan ka ,,,arr app ho ki pani fer dete hoo

Hopefully, another lot of 260 words will be added by tomorrow, if there is no technical difficulty on account of browser. I shall post the added list in this thread thereafter.
Truly Exceptional Effort...

skarmveer
September 22nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Bhaya Ji

They to ghano badhiya kam ker rya ho. Meh to eese directory kathey dekhee konee.

Tharo Bot-bot Dhanyvad.
Karmveer Chahal

The Rajasthani language on Jatland is avalable at
URL

http://www.jatland.com/home/Rajasthani_Language

Haryanvi and Rajasthani Languages are being develped on Jat land Wiki. The Rajasthani Language has attracted attention of the Johns Hopkins University Massachusetts Avenue, and has appreciated the efforts. He searched my E-mail some where from Internet and mailed me. I am reproducing his E-mail as under:

“Namaste Laxman Ji,
I saw your work on Wiki and it's very nice. Though some entries need to be edited for linguistic purpose. Keep it up. Rightnow I am busy in Rajasthani grammar. bhot bhot ram ram,
Lakhan
------------------
Lakhan Gusain, Ph.D., Coordinator and Professorial Lecturer, South Asian Languages Program, The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), The Johns Hopkins University , 1619 Massachusetts Avenue, NW#304
Washington, D.C. 20036-2213”

skarmveer
September 22nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Bhai Jitender

Badhiya Kam karo ho thami, laagey raho tharey saharey hume bhee harynavi
aa ja gee. Baakee Dayanand bhai sahab key tey chokey hi dekhey hai bara na
key likh diya. Likha to kuch badhiya he hoga per kosis ker rey hai jey samajh pai tey.

Karmvee Chahal

Deshwal ji Namaskar,

[G-K] ke kuch nae shabd hein, please include them as well; when have some time.

1 Dukadiya दुकडिया Hall of two शहतीर
2 Gadrana गडराणा To snatch back his hands, to deceive
3 Gaintal गैंतल One with no thought of families pride and can drop to any level in behaviour
4 Gajban गजबण Ultimate beautyful lady
5 Gakhadna गाखङना To deny or behave with stubbornness and rudeness
6 Galle गऴे Tonsils
7 Gallgatte गऴघटे Lotus (Not sure)
8 Ganthoo गंठू Tonsils
9 Gharmolli घरमोऴी Water in round circular fashion leading to sink
10 Gharwassa घरवासा Family life
11 Gilgila गिलगिला Spongy
12 Girari गिरारी Gear
13 Goda-Nivan गोडा-निवाण Going after a dead person to his home for sympathy
14 Golla गोऴा The upper portion of sugarcane
15 Haadyal हाड्यल A very lean person with no flesh over bones
16 Hakda हाकडा Strong intake and exhale of air with sound during illness, mostly used for a child
17 Hazyat हाज्यत Morning call
18 Heeyoooo हीयो Sound used to call buffaloes
19 Herva हेरवा Strong Attachment
20 Hilki हिल्की This is the shrill sound made by a child wept for long after and while weeping
21 Humbeey हम्बै Yes
22 Hunkara हुंकारा Sounding to show that I am agree
23 Hurrrrr हुर्र् Sound used to tease
24 Ikadiya इकङिया Hall with one शहतीर
25 It-aud/ithod इत-ओडऽइतोह्ङ This side/here
26 Jeir जेर It is a slippery jelly that is excreted at the time of birth of a Katda/katia
27 Jham झाम Favourable environment
28 Jheel झील Low lying area
29 Kanya/kayn कांयाऽकाण Duty
30 Kattaiyye कट्टैये To create headache asking or saying for a particular task
31 KhagadKhanna खाग्गड-खान्ना A disturbance created by a few by making it a routine visit
32 KhapparBharni खप्पर-भरणी Very dangerous and volatile lady who can divide and spark quarrel between families
33 Khena खेणा Lightening
34 Khossan खोस्सण To mess up the clothes
35 Khusat-na खुसटणा Stretching of clothes under pressure
36 Kirkarat किरकिराट The feeling when some sand got mixed up with some eatable

deepakchoudhry
September 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Excellent Work...Keep it up.

jitendershooda
September 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Dhanyavad Deepak and Karamveer bhai

sunitahooda
September 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Jitu Bhai....cheermatti ka matlab batayiye:confused:

jitendershooda
September 27th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Deshwal ji,

Here are some leftouts, Please include these too in the next release of yours. Aur koe se bhai/Bhan ne kime meaning mein kama-pessi lage to bata diyo ..

1 Adhar अधर In air
2 Auhadi ओह्डी
3 Bal-man बाल-मान Hair line
4 Big-Gya (Bangar mein use hota hai) बिग-ग्या Gone/ To move away
5 Chande चंदे feather of peacock
6 Charbak चरबाक Talkative
7 Chatak चटक Smart/active
8 Chaundha चौंधा Flash on eyes from a mirror or sun light
9 Chausse चौस्से Charm, Fun, feeling of enjoy
10 Chidpada चिडपडा Sticky
11 Dadak दङाक Slap
12 Doomni डूमणी
13 Ghasad-Deni घसड-देणी Atonce without any thought
14 Janu जाणु like
15 Joga जोगा Like - Used to compare with something/someone
16 Juhari जुहारी It is a tradition in which women gives money to the groom rotating first around his head (I think this is done by the women of Groom side)
17 Khapra खापरा One with white-black skin may be due to disease or some burn out
18 Labadgutta लबडगुट्टा A male of talkative nature
19 Lahrsa लाह्र्सा Interest wrapped with selfishness
20 Laraj लरज Swing of anything or anything having swing
21 Lasad-Phasad लसड-फसड hotch-potch
22 Lassad लस्सड Blunt
23 Lathed लथेड-देणा To apply something semi-solid
24 Loe लोई Small rounded ball made of wet wheat to prepare chappati
25 Lohri लोहरी अनाडी
26 Lyodhar ल्योधर It is the axle that is placed in wheels of old carts
27 Maka/Makha मका-मखा Word used as a proverb to put stress and address someone
28 Mangra मंगरा It is a part of an acre
29 Massan मसाण
30 Massosa मसोसा buttering
31 Math मठ Ruined
32 Mattod मटोड Lots of Sand
33 Mosna मोसणा To apply pressure to tilt some material/metal rod
34 Nallai नऴाई Process of un-earthening like that in case of cotton, sugarcane crops etc.
35 Nalle नऴे Harnea
36 Nohra नोहरा Varanda
37 Nue न्यूऐ This type only, like wise
38 Oojna ओजणा To pour on
39 Ookat उक्कत Knowledge, wisery or concious
40 OosarSinda उस्सर-सींडा Naughty
41 Ootha ओथा Turn
42 Pachande पछण्डे Moving legs with force to hit someone or during sleep
43 Padakhna पडखणा Biting dog
44 Palothan पलोथण It is the small amount of floor used to apply to लोई, to prepare chappati
45 Phajita फजीता Nuisance
46 Pudat पुडत One side of a cloth
47 Pulli पुऴी Small bridge
48 Ralna रऴना Mess up
49 Ramak रमक Presence or influence of something
50 Ranghad (Ranghad - baa) रांघड-बा
51 Reechak रेचक Of full cheese or interest
52 Rencha रेंचा Person with eyes in wrong direction :)
53 Ringa Dena रिंगा-देणा To make someone completely irritated and stressed/ streched
54 Sahji साह्जी Labour of the same village(mostly) for fields
55 Santhi सांठी It is a green leafy vegetable used to prepare साग
56 Sokadna सौकडणा To oppose strongly/Revolt
57 Taal टाऴ To Drop plan
58 Talli टाल्ली Small bells tied on the necks of pets like ox, dogs, cats etc.
59 Teebba टिब्बा Heap of Sand
60 Thad ठाड Forcibly convincing someone
61 Thoon थूण With dull and rude face
62 Ulhand उलहंड Naughty with no wisery
63 Upra-talli ऊपरा-तऴी One above the other in an unplanned manner
64 Urahne उराहनः This side
65 Vaa वा That lady
66 Var-Pher वार-फेर It is a tradition in which women gives money to the groom rotating first around his head (I think this is done by the women of Bride side)

lrburdak
October 18th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Here is a webpage from Rajasthan which has adopted the Rajasthani dictionary from Jatland as such. I came to know about it while searching a Rajasthani word in Devanagari script. The word was आंगळी. You get five websites for this word. Two are on Jatland - Haryanvi and Rajasthani Dictionary pages. Now with the bilingual dictionaries in Haryanavi and Rajasthani languages Jatland is proving to be of great importance in acieving social objective. The website URL which adopted Rajasthani dictionary is -

*http://www.freewebs.com/hanvant/rajasthani_dictionary.htm

More members are requested to enhance the dictionaries. There is yet a lot of scope for expansion of the treasure of Desi words. These are richer than the Hindi language. Some of the words of these do not find place in Hindi indicates these are more useful languages.

Regards,

devdahiya
October 21st, 2006, 10:29 PM
Jitu Bhai....cheermatti ka matlab batayiye:confused:

Bebey Sunita chirmitti ho sei wa lall-peelli chhotti si golli jo amarbel ka phall ho sei.....Nyu bi khya krein akk jei kisse ke ghar mein gerr de tei laddai ho jya.

dndeswal
November 19th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Dear Jatland colleagues,

The current phase (Part-VI) contains another set of 243 pure desi words. The words (in Devanagri only) are written below and the attachment (Text document) shows these with full meanings, including in Devanagri. The words have been serially arranged according to Roman Alphabets. All these words have been put on Haryanavi Dictionary (http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language) page at Jatland Wiki, at their appropriate places. Just see these magical words and enjoy reading. All of us know and speak many words but still, for me, searching these words and finding their correct meaning and editing on-line has been a time-consuming and laborious exercise. Nevertheless, for me, it has been a mental satisfaction and the cooperation from some members, including Jitender Hooda, is praiseworthy.
आढळ / आहलणा / आहो / ऐड / आलण / आला-राशी / आँख / आट्टण / आवड़ी / अड़ूसा / अगाऊ / अगेत/ अगेता / अलूणा / आं-हे / आंह-रै / अंडास /अड़ांस / अणफही / अणदी / अणहवी / अनपूता / अरडू / औसणना / अळसेहड़ा / असनाई / अटेहटा, हटेटा / अजार / बळ / बाढ़ा / बाळ-मान / बाण्य / बरजणा / बीर-मरद / बेहू / बीगू / भंभीरी / भटपेड़ा / भेलड़ा / भोभळा / बिध / बिलाई / बिरळाई / बिटळी / बुगटा / छाणस / चांट / चटक / चौंधा / चेहड़ू / चीकटा / छांगना / छीड़ / छ्यावा / चिघनान / चिरमठी / चौखा / चौंहटी / चुचकारना / चुसाड़ू / डाकोत / दाईं / दाईं-दवाळ / दहका / दाहूं / दळ / डौळ / देसोड़ी / ढाँसर / धड़ा / ढ़मचर / ढ़मढ़मा / धनसबा/ धनकबा / ढ़ीह / ढींगा / ढ़ेरा / ढिसळणा / धौल / ढूच्चा / ढूह / ढूल्हा / धुतारी / धुत्तू / ध्याड़ी / डिगणा / दुड़की / दुकड़िया / फाफोटे / फांची मारना / फिकरा / गाध / गडराणा / गैंतल, गात्तिल /
(This post is not accepting more text - continued in next post)

dndeswal
November 19th, 2006, 10:28 PM
...Continued from previous post

गजबण / गळा,गळे / गंठी / गंठू / घरमौळी, घिरमौळी / घरूड़ना / घरवासा / घसड-देणी / घिचमिच / घिन / घूंडरू / घुळाई / घ्यार / गिरारी / गिरमिट / गोडा-निवाण / गोऴा / गोरा /हाड्यल / हाफळा / हाज्यत / हत्था / हेरवा / हिल्की / हम्बै / हुंकारा / इखाड़-बाढ़ा / इकड़िया / जणूं, जाणु,जणूं-तै / झाँखराळा / झीखणा / झील / जित-बी, जड़ै-बी / जक / जुहारी / काठा / कल्लेवार / कमठाणा / कणताना / करंजा / कसोण / कत्तल / कीड़ा-कांटा/ केसूड़ा / खापरा / खड़ / खड़दू / खंदाना / कोड,कोडेक,कोडोड़ / खंझर / खरसाँ / खेळजा / खेलड़े / खोस्सण / खोरा / खुभक/ किणछना / कोच्चर / कोंच / कौंचा / कुबीज / कुढ़, कूढ़ा / कुन्डळी / लार / लारा / लबड़गुट्टा / लोगड़ / लौंदा / लोई / मळ / मलूक / मका, मखा/ मसाण / मस्तू / मठ / मठ मारना / मिचकू / मिणसना / मूळ / मोसणा / मुज्झया / मुथापड़ा / नचीत / नाड़ैहली / नाटना / नळ / नळाई / नळे / नेग / नेहरणा / नेम / निफराम / निखरचे / न्याहणी / ओड / ओजणा / ऊंटड़ी / ऊपरा-तळी / पाँसू / पासंग / पछादा / पछण्डे / पछीत / पिछोकड़ / पछेत/पछेता / पड़खणा / पद्धाँ बैठना / पैंडा /
(This post is not accepting more text - continued in next post)

dndeswal
November 19th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Continued from previous post
पलोथण / पनाणा / पटेहड़ा / फेटना / पणिहारी / पुड़त / पड़त / पुल्लारा / पुळी / रागड़ / राहणा / रान / रापी / रड़का / रळना / रेंचा / रोड / रोडू / रोमतड़ा / रूंझणा / साळ-भाळ / सांभरणा / संडासी / सीम्मी / सिधोई / सकाळी / सिसकारना / सोहल / सोहरना / सुखाळी / स्यातेक में / टाल्ली / तान / थही / थड़ा / ठौळा / ठौळेदार / ठीहे / ठय्ये / थूहे / ठ्यारी / टिकारी / उभाणा / उचंग / उळपना / उळहंड / उनमण / उराहनै, उरे-नै / उज्जगर

lrburdak
November 20th, 2006, 06:42 PM
आपकी Jatland Wiki के Jat Languages पेज पर राजस्थानी और हरयानवी भाषा में लिखणे की सुविधा है । आप जरुर योगदान करो ।

Glossary of Haryanavi Language (हरयानवी भाषा शब्दावली)

Haryanavi Language Grammar (हरयानवी भाषा व्याकरण)

Haryanavi Folk Lore (हरयानवी लोक साहित्य)

Haryanavi Language Idioms and Phrases (हरयानवी भाषा मुहावरे और लोकोक्तियां)

Glossary of Rajasthani Language (राजस्थानी भाषा शब्दावली)

Rajasthani Language Grammar (राजस्थानी भाषा व्याकरण)

Rajasthani Folk Lore (राजस्थानी लोक साहित्य)

Rajasthani Language Idioms and Phrases (राजस्थानी भाषा मुहावरे और लोकोक्तियां)

धन्यवाद

dndeswal
January 19th, 2007, 02:48 AM
As written by Burdak ji above, the Wiki pages of Jatland relating to Jat languages give a new look now and members are free to contribute there directly. In Haryanavi dictonary, I am adding the following 20 desi words. This is an on-going process.

This thread is continuing for a pretty long period and though I may not write further in this thread, shall continue adding my contributing directly on Wiki pages.

बान्ह / चहली / चाँघड़ना / चीथना / धर्राट / एकड़वासी / गोइया-मोइया / गळघा / हूंचना / झाँखळी / झिकोळना / घिचोळना / कसाला / खरणा / मलीदा / पळका / पिलजवा / सिरहोंदा / ताम-झाम / ठाढू .