PDA

View Full Version : Resume Building

monica
October 29th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Hi friends

I was till recently working in Human Resources in an MNC in Noida and was looking after senior level recruitments. Now I have left my job and have moved to New York where I am applying to some schools for higher studies.

Having had the experience of the other side of the recruitment process, I have some idea of what a recruitment manager looks for in a resume. There might be some people here, on this online community, who might be looking for a second opinion on their resume. For those of you who need help in editing their resume in order to make it more focussed, I can be of assistance. Pls feel free to mail me on this, I would be more than happy to be of some help.

Regards
Monica

naveen_chaudhary
October 29th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks Monica! your efforts are much appreciated. All the best for your higher studies.

dahbal
October 30th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Thanks Monica Bahan.Wish you all the best for higher studies.

I am working as a software engineer.I need your help for modifing my resume.Can I get your personel mail-id or can you send me mail at bdahiya@yahoo.com or dahbal@hotmail.com?

Regards,
Balraj Dahiya

Monica Dahiya (Oct 29, 2003 07:38 a.m.):
Hi friends

I was till recently working in Human Resources in an MNC in Noida and was looking after senior level recruitments. Now I have left my job and have moved to New York where I am applying to some schools for higher studies.

Having had the experience of the other side of the recruitment process, I have some idea of what a recruitment manager looks for in a resume. There might be some people here, on this online community, who might be looking for a second opinion on their resume. For those of you who need help in editing their resume in order to make it more focussed, I can be of assistance. Pls feel free to mail me on this, I would be more than happy to be of some help.

Regards
Monica

dkumar
October 30th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Gr8 Initiative, Bhabhi ji!

vikrantsiwag
October 30th, 2003, 04:55 PM
best of luck monica for ur higher studies....

scsheorayan
October 30th, 2003, 05:49 PM
That is a very commendable offer Monica. How is life in big apple ? Keep up the good work. Hope you are able to devote more time to this worth while cause and jatland.

God Bless you!

sushilsehrawat
November 1st, 2003, 09:26 AM
I'm happy to see that young and bright people are coming forward in our community to extend support and provide guidance to fellow jats. Monica, I'm sure you can play a crucial role in providing career guidance through your expertise in the field of HR not only through resume building but by advising about different career opportunities and what young generation need to do to be succesful in their career ambition. Although I'm not an HR expert but I have conducted many final stage interviews and would be willing to provide any assistance that you or any member may need from me.

dabas4u
November 1st, 2003, 11:36 AM
Thanks a lot Monica for offering the help . U r doing a great job. I really appretiate ur efforts . Hey I think you can help me .. let me know ur id and i will fwd the profile to you .

ndahiya
November 1st, 2003, 09:08 PM
To send mail to any member, you can click on the email button below the member's name.

Obviously, you need to be logged in to do so.

Nitin

sushilsehrawat
November 3rd, 2003, 09:40 AM
Hi Nitin...I realized today that it was Mrs. Dahiya initiating this post. Hope you guys are doing well. Keep up the good work and let me know if you have any plans to visit your northern neighbours.

devendra_malik
November 3rd, 2003, 06:38 PM
Great Initiatives. We need to help each other and must provide supports to the new generaion of our community to lift them up.

Kindly let me know your e-mail ID to communicate with you.

I am presently working for a big MNC as Six Sigma Champion and Management Representative(ISO QMS) and would like to offer my help and support to the JATs.

Regards
Devendra Malik

nitinmaan
November 19th, 2003, 12:54 PM
thanks Monica! your efforts are much appreciated. All the best for your higher studies.[/quote]
i am an MCA searching 4 job now a days,i think u can help me a lot.give me ur id so that i can send u my resume 4 modification.my id is
nitinmaan@rediffmail.com
thanks

monica
November 20th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Thanks everyone for such an encouraging response, Naveen, Dhanesh, Vikrant, Shubha Chand ji, Sushil ji, appreciate your good wishes! The number of resumes received has been big enough to keep me occupied the last few days, infact I am yet to get back to a some people with the inputs and hope to do it really soon. It was also a pleasure to know that many people from our community are doing so well proffesionaly.

After going through all these resumes I felt that there were certain common areas of concern in most of these. I think it would be worthwhile for me to share these with everybody:

1. Any HR person screening a resume in order to decide whether a person should be called for an interview has a broad guideline from the technical manager about the required level of education, experience and the kind of company a candidate should have worked in earlier. The great details about ones expereince are to be discussed only during the interview and any interview panel will always make sure that they have collected material on all the aspects of your work whch is relevant to them during their discussion with you.

2. For the above mentioned reason, one page resume is considered to be ideal for atleast upto an experience of 4-5 years since it is capable of containing all the information for making a decision on whether or not to shortlist a resume.

3. A lot of unnecessary information can be cut down from the resume, if not asked for specifically by the company, like: date of birth (your experience can give a good idea abt that in any case), father's name, permanent address (correspondence address is just fine, some people write both which is not required), Languages known (if its any language other than English / Hindi, only then mention this field), 'Resume' / 'CV' as heading for ones resume, writing ones name and date in the end and signature (not required, your name is in any case on the top of the resume).

All these things take a lot of very precious space on your resume and are not needed by the HR ppl.

3. Avoid writing in paragraphs, bullets are better for a short and crisp view.

4. Try and write each point in no more than one point, look for ways by which three four words can be expressed in one word, two three points can be combined as one point in order to cut down space they take.

5. As a general guideline, for an experience of every 1-2 yrs, mention no more than 3 most important points as part of your job description. If you write more than this, you would be going into micro level details which are not needed. Please remember that a resume helps only in your getting shortlisted for an interview, after that its your personality, presentation and experience thats going to get you through.

6. Write hobbies and interest only if you cant find anything else to fill up the space to make the resume one page. As far as trainings that you have attended are concerned, write only those which are really exceptional, any training which would make you really stand out.

7. In case of people in IT industry, I feel its better to not write in terms of project description of each project that one may have handled. This would make the resume unnecessary bulky, just write the broad responsibilities handled by you in any particular company. The technologies you have worked on will be in any case be covered in the Technical Skills summary that most people present encompassing the technologies, databases, applications, operating systems one has been exposed to.

These are some of the most common areas on which I felt that inputs needed to be given for the various resumes received so far. These might be relevant to a lot of others as well whose resumes I have not seen. In case any of you has a different point of view on any of these, or has any other concerns, I would be glad to hear from you.

Regards
Monica

uday
November 20th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Thanks and well appreciating your help for the community.

gsvijay
November 27th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Great Work, Keep it up.

rahul
November 28th, 2003, 03:25 PM
gud efforts
thats all what we need in our community.
keep it up

rahul malik

jagmohan
November 28th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Dear Monica,

Let me commend you for the wonderful gesture of extending help.

I am extremely thankful to you for sorting out my resume. It now looks like a resume. Earlier it was typical 'Fauji'.

If we all can show this tendency of helping each other more often, we would be unbeatable.

Thanks,

Lt Col JS Malik (Retd)

ajithome
November 30th, 2003, 07:23 PM
hi monica!
tell me where i shud mail my resume si that u can have a look & guide me
ajit

bargoti10
December 2nd, 2003, 05:22 PM
Hi friends

Regards
Monica

Dear monica
Your positive approach towards serving your own people is excellent & have no words to describe.
the undersigned is working as Sr. mgr(Tech.) in govt. U/T & possessing BE,DCM,DLL &MBA(Marketing) etc. with 18 yr. of experience.
Inaddition to this my wife is working as PGT(Phy)in DAV & possessing BSC,BED,MSC,MPHIL(PHY) etc. we have alot to write you. Kindly send your e-mail address provided you are not disturbed enabling us to seek your valuable advice.
Regards
Sushil
Delhi(surajmal vihar)

palsaniya
December 5th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Very very thanx for hving such helping attitude
for our JAT society.
Our JAT society needs persons hving attitude like you.

BEST OF LUCK for ur Higher studies.

sansanwalamit
December 6th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Thank you Monika,
I really appreciate your effort of sharing your knowledge and helping everyone.
Keep the good work up and best of luck for the grad school
Amit

pradeeps19
December 6th, 2003, 09:01 PM
hello dear monica,
myself pradeep sehrawat(pradeeps@india.com)
wanted to build my resume specially for peoplesoft(ERP) industry.pls mail me ur email address at whcih i can send my resume for ur kind look.....
regards
pradeep

Hi friends

Regards
Monica

neena009
December 14th, 2003, 07:09 PM
hi monica
iam a new member of this site.just read ur art.
this is something v gr8.n i apperciate what ur doing.i will be sending u my resume.
best of luck for ur higher studies
may all ur dreams come true.
god bless u.
neena.

birbal
December 15th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Monica,

It is a wonderful idea as a good resume is the first step in getting an interview for a job.

I think it will also be of great benefit to members on this site if you can put together a write up on interview skills.

Birbal Singh

sweet
December 20th, 2003, 01:22 AM
really gr8 job............keep it up............

cheers.........................

vrattan
January 23rd, 2004, 11:08 AM
Thanks a lot for the valuable advice,
It really did help a lot
Vivek

ajayjat
February 23rd, 2004, 02:38 AM
hi!
i am ajay and how can u help me in building a good resume please let me know.
can i have ur mail id so i can send u my resume

bye
Ajay

ajaym
February 24th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Hi Monica,

Really appreciate your initiative...
I am working as Assistant Manger, GE Capital, Gurgaon.
Please send me your mail -id so that I can discuss the changes required in my CV.

Regards,

Ajay Malik
ajay.malik@gecis.ge.com

sritu
February 28th, 2004, 12:57 PM
thanx monica for ur efforts.best of lick for ur studies.i need ur help ,can i have ur id

ritu

monica
March 4th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Hi Ajay/Ritu

Have mailed you the email address. Email can be sent to any member by clicking on the email link under the name (next to the messages), or from the profile.

Monica

ndahiya
April 13th, 2004, 06:06 AM
bump

vikrantsiwag
April 15th, 2004, 07:39 PM
hii...monica.Thanx a loot to u for ur help to the members and BOL for ur studies......

ajaysinghbamel
April 27th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Monica its a good way of sharing own exprience. I am working in company where we provide supply chain solutions. I had attended last year one programme of clm also at chicago. If you have any exprience in this field and suggestions then pls send your feedback.thanks

dayvraj
July 24th, 2004, 06:36 PM
*Bookmarks the thread and says Thank You Maam *

harish_mundel
July 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks a lot Monica for offering the help . U r doing a great job. I really appretiate ur efforts . Hey I think you can help me .. let me know ur id and i will fwd the profile to you .
my id is harish_jat2002@yahoo.com

devendersansanwa
July 28th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Hi Monica,

Thanks a lot for all your inputs about the resume building and helping this community. As you have worked as a HR executive for a MNC in India, could you please explain what all main areas an IT recruitment manager looks in someone's resume? Do you have any idea about the practice followed by recruitment managers in USA while short-listing candidates for interviews?

As per my knowledge, in India an IT professional CV gives more importance on technology, while in USA most of the IT companies also look for the processes details in one's CV which has been followed in a project life-cycle. What are your views on this? Shall one elaborate the processes details for each project in CV?

jkthenua
August 9th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Hi Monica.Thanx a lot to u for ur helping members regarding furnishing their resume and Best of luck for your studies.

kuldeep_malik
August 11th, 2004, 09:43 AM
hi monica,
I really appreciate ur initiative , can u help me in making my cv alive. I havent updated it since ages(just kept on adding new projects into it.) it would be nice if u can give me ur email id so that i can send u my cv.

thanks
malik

gary
August 16th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Hi,

It's good help to specially new candidates who starts their career.

keep it up.

rakesh_sehrawat
August 20th, 2004, 07:57 PM
hi monika
nice to have such a nice member in jatland . i'm applying for PhD abroad now working as research associate in Deptt of microbiology i m sending you my resume plz check it out,
thanks in anticipation.

rakesh_sehrawat
August 20th, 2004, 08:09 PM
hi monika
nice to have such a nice member in jatland . i'm applying for PhD abroad now working as research associate in Deptt of microbiology i m sending you my resume plz check it out,
thanks in anticipation.

monica
August 24th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Dear Rakesh

It might be useful if you could go through the 13th post of this thread where some general guidelines are mentioned for resume-writing. I would give some quick inputs here about your cv, in order to provide more clarity to others preparing their resume as well:

1. Avoid unnecessary usage of space. No need to give 'resume' as title. One can title it as one's name.
2. Photograph, date of birth, references need not be given unless asked for.
3. Soft skills, in your resume mentioned under the "Personal Attributes" section do not usually carry any weight, since there is no proof mentioned there. The interview committee would like to judge your soft skills during the interaction that they have with you.
4. Do not mention your name in the end...usually people sign it as well - it’s not required.
5. If you do decide to write a summary, pls do so at the beginning of you resume. And if written in the resume, it’s a succinct description of hard skills and work experience. What you have mentioned in “summary” could go in your cover-letter; it’s definitely not resume material. In the cover letter when you write these things, try to give specific achievements in relation to the skills you are mentioning.
6. You may like to combine Publications and Seminars under one head and present it in a tabular form under the sub-headings: Publications/Seminars, Published/Presented In and any other relevant element. Even education, can be put up in a tabular form. This increases the readability.
7. In “awards” and “trainings”, try and limit their respective bullets to 3-4 most important awards/trainings received.
8. Since you are planning to apply to a foreign university, the terminology used should be such that a foreigner can understand it. ‘CSIR-UGC NET’, ‘NCC ‘B’ certificate’, ‘NATP’, ‘Senior Secondary certificate examination’ are some of the short-forms/terms that might be difficult to understand in any other country. Try to find out what are the equivalent exams/bodies in the country where you are applying and give those references.
9. You may only like to talk about your graduation and post-graduation and do away with X and XII standard details.
10. Try to give your resume a structure by ordering the heads: educational qual, experience (which would obviously include work that you are doing presently), publications/seminars and then trainings and professional membership. You may like to put experience first and then education – that is also okay.

My experience has been in hiring people for jobs, you may like to take inputs from others in the educational field like Prof. Birbal Singh, who would be able to shed more light on what is required in a researcher's resume.

rakesh_sehrawat
August 26th, 2004, 08:08 PM
hi monika
so nice of you for this very kind help If you dont mind may I have Dr. Birbal mail id so that I can be discuss more from my person masil sehrawatrk@hau.ernet.in so please do make this also
thanks in anticipation

ajaypanwar
September 11th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Hello madam,
i also want to apply fro higher studies in USA.Please help me in making my resume.how can i send you my old resume.
tell me.
reply on
ajayepph@rediffmail.com
thanks.

Hi friends

Regards
Monica

devdahiya
January 18th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Why this thread went off the air.It should be right there always, so that new members can benefit. Proud of you Monica.....please carry on and help as many people as you can................God bless!

rakeshpoonia_mca
January 18th, 2005, 11:55 PM
hello madam

it's is great work done by u this will not only help our youngester to get good job but also help other people to follow your's step i.e. they also motivate by your work to serve our society myself Rakesh Poonia completed MCA from JODHPUR(RAJASTHAN)

plz give me your email id so that i can send my resume as attachement

thanks

Rakesh Poonia
MCA

devdahiya
January 31st, 2005, 06:12 PM
My dear Monica,

Carry on with the good work you are doing.Let maximum youngster be benefitted by your selfless deeds.

regards

sarvesh
February 3rd, 2005, 02:50 PM
Hi friends

Regards
Monica

hi monica....

this is sarvesh dahiya...
just yesyturday i joined this site and i saw your mail.
I want a help from your side....if you can help me.
Actually this is my final year of MCA and fortunately i got selected in two companies from my campus....Honeywell and Mindtree.
you must have heard their name. Now i am very much confused in deciding which company i should follow....
presently Honeywell is offering 2.65 and Mindtree 2.50
As you have seen there is not much difference in salary....and i have asked from many people, they say that both are equally good companies....but it is not so easy to decide..
I want to opt that company in which i have better chances of growth.

I hope that you will try to help me in taking an appropriate decision.

I am waiting for your reply

sarvesh

sjakhars
February 17th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone for such an encouraging response, Naveen, Dhanesh, Vikrant, Shubha Chand ji, Sushil ji, appreciate your good wishes! The number of resumes received has been big enough to keep me occupied the last few days, infact I am yet to get back to a some people with the inputs and hope to do it really soon. It was also a pleasure to know that many people from our community are doing so well proffesionaly.

After going through all these resumes I felt that there were certain common areas of concern in most of these. I think it would be worthwhile for me to share these with everybody:

1. Any HR person screening a resume in order to decide whether a person should be called for an interview has a broad guideline from the technical manager about the required level of education, experience and the kind of company a candidate should have worked in earlier. The great details about ones expereince are to be discussed only during the interview and any interview panel will always make sure that they have collected material on all the aspects of your work whch is relevant to them during their discussion with you.

2. For the above mentioned reason, one page resume is considered to be ideal for atleast upto an experience of 4-5 years since it is capable of containing all the information for making a decision on whether or not to shortlist a resume.

3. A lot of unnecessary information can be cut down from the resume, if not asked for specifically by the company, like: date of birth (your experience can give a good idea abt that in any case), father's name, permanent address (correspondence address is just fine, some people write both which is not required), Languages known (if its any language other than English / Hindi, only then mention this field), 'Resume' / 'CV' as heading for ones resume, writing ones name and date in the end and signature (not required, your name is in any case on the top of the resume).

All these things take a lot of very precious space on your resume and are not needed by the HR ppl.

3. Avoid writing in paragraphs, bullets are better for a short and crisp view.

4. Try and write each point in no more than one point, look for ways by which three four words can be expressed in one word, two three points can be combined as one point in order to cut down space they take.

5. As a general guideline, for an experience of every 1-2 yrs, mention no more than 3 most important points as part of your job description. If you write more than this, you would be going into micro level details which are not needed. Please remember that a resume helps only in your getting shortlisted for an interview, after that its your personality, presentation and experience thats going to get you through.

6. Write hobbies and interest only if you cant find anything else to fill up the space to make the resume one page. As far as trainings that you have attended are concerned, write only those which are really exceptional, any training which would make you really stand out.

7. In case of people in IT industry, I feel its better to not write in terms of project description of each project that one may have handled. This would make the resume unnecessary bulky, just write the broad responsibilities handled by you in any particular company. The technologies you have worked on will be in any case be covered in the Technical Skills summary that most people present encompassing the technologies, databases, applications, operating systems one has been exposed to.

These are some of the most common areas on which I felt that inputs needed to be given for the various resumes received so far. These might be relevant to a lot of others as well whose resumes I have not seen. In case any of you has a different point of view on any of these, or has any other concerns, I would be glad to hear from you.

Regards
Monica
thanks monica for ur call for help in resume building.

sjakhars
February 17th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks Monica ! This is a great offer for those who are looking for jobs.