PDA

View Full Version : More Cricket: What happened to our Spinners???

shailendra
March 7th, 2006, 12:24 AM
...Since Cricket still seems to be so fresh on everyones mind, and so I thought if one really needs to talk about performances (forget about VVS Laxman/Sehwag and their out of form batting etc.) the real question is what REALLY HAPPENED TO THE SPINNER'S?!?!?...

Why were both Kumble and Bhajji so totally unaffective?...Specially when this other sardar on the England side constantly made life difficult for all Indian batsmen! (...and that bowl to Kaif...Damn! What a beauty, turned right infront of his Bat and pads to castle him completely, fair and square!:eek: )

I think team India will want to know why both its spinners failed in Nagpur. It is so nagging to think that Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh, good as they are, still really need a totally tailor-made pitch to their liking...

...and like I said it would definitely not help the Indian think tank discussion that a kid like Monty Panesar, just out of his cricketing nappies, was such an influence on the same surface. Imagine the contrast -- Indian spinners with 700-odd wickets between them (totally unaffective) and then this new England spinner making his debut (totally difficult and uncomfortable to play against)!?!:confused:

virenderkhokhar
March 7th, 2006, 01:02 AM
well...rightly said...india is the only cricketing country whose fast bowlers dont bowl fast and spin bowlers dont spin the bowl.....talking of harbhajan singh, he is not a big turner of the ball....moreover his variety seems to b less varied...he hardly bowls a doosra these days ...so he has become more predictable...abt kumble he needs an assisting pitch...may b he was bowling a bit flatter....monty's all three scalpes were like left arm spiner's delight...its about giving right flight and right landing on the rough patches to make a ball spin

shailendra
March 7th, 2006, 01:47 AM
well...rightly said...india is the only cricketing country whose fast bowlers dont bowl fast and spin bowlers dont spin the bowl.....talking of harbhajan singh, he is not a big turner of the ball....moreover his variety seems to b less varied...he hardly bowls a doosra these days ...so he has become more predictable...abt kumble he needs an assisting pitch...may b he was bowling a bit flatter....monty's all three scalpes were like left arm spiner's delight...its about giving right flight and right landing on the rough patches to make a ball spin

Yeah! I remember thinking even at a very early times (when the nuances of cricket were still mostly beyond me) that this guy Shane Warne can really tweak the ball a mile! (on Aussie pitches too, which are mostly tailor made to assist fast bowlers!) ...and then there was that other leg spinner guy from Pakistan [forget his name, Abdul Qadir? But anyways, he is the one that Tendulkar took to the cleaners once in the very early beginning of his (Tendulkar's) career]...that could really turn the ball infront of the batsmen on any surface!... and then thinking that How come our spinners [Shivaramakrishnan, Maninder, Bhajji, Kumble...etc.etc. can though manage taking wickets (of course on turning pitches :rolleyes: )] but the turn is almost impossible to see :confused: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

ps. Apparently this 'Doosra' is creating a lot of controversy to the point that most spinners are scared of delivering it in fear of being called for suspect action...for chucking! Apparently to deliver it the arm has to be twisted/cocked with a little bend at the elbow....or something, I dunno!