PDA

View Full Version : Delhi: in search of the last Mogul

sejwaldeepak
March 11th, 2006, 09:12 AM
The Times Magazine
Delhi: in search of the last Mogul
As a young man, writer William Dalrymple fell in love with the fading beauty of old Delhi. Years later, his obsession with the city has taken him on another journey, to research the glittering twilight of the Mogul court and the sad tale of the end of a great dynasty

In June 1858 the Times correspondent William Howard Russell – a man now famous as the father of war journalism – arrived in the ruins of Delhi, which had been recently recaptured by the British from the rebels after one of the bloodiest sieges in Indian history. Skeletons still littered the streets, and the domes and minars of the city were riddled with shell holes; but the walls of the Red Fort, the great palace of the Moguls, still looked magnificent: “I have seldom seen a nobler mural aspect,” wrote Russell in his diary. Russell’s ultimate destination was, however, rather less imposing. Along a dark, dingy back passage of the Fort, Russell was led to the cell of a frail 83-year-old man who was accused by the British of being one of the masterminds of the Great Rising, or Mutiny, of 1857, the most serious armed act of resistance to Western imperialism ever to be mounted anywhere in the world.

“He was a dim, wandering-eyed, dreamy old man with a feeble hanging nether lip and toothless gums,” wrote a surprised Russell. “Not a word came from his lips; in silence he sat day and night with his eyes cast on the ground, and as though utterly oblivious of the conditions in which he was placed. His eyes had the dull, filmy look of very old age. Some heard him quoting verses of his own composition, writing poetry on a wall with a burned stick.”

The prisoner was Bahadur Shah Zafar II, the last Mogul Emperor, direct descendant of Genghis Khan and Tamburlaine, of Akbar, Jehangir and Shah Jehan. As Russell himself observed, “He was called ungrateful for rising against his benefactors. He was no doubt a weak and cruel old man; but to talk of ingratitude on the part of one who saw that all the dominions of his ancestors had been gradually taken from him until he was left with an empty title, and more empty exchequer, and a palace full of penniless princesses, is perfectly preposterous.”

Zafar was born in 1775, when the British were still an insignificant coastal power clinging to three small enclaves on the Indian shore. In his lifetime he saw his own dynasty reduced to humiliating insignificance, while the British transformed themselves from humble traders into the most powerful military force India had ever seen. Zafar came late to the throne, succeeding his father only in his mid-sixties, when it was already impossible to reverse the political decline of the Moguls. But despite this he succeeded in creating around him a court of great brilliance. Personally, he was one of the most talented, tolerant and likeable of his dynasty, and through his patronage there took place the greatest literary renaissance in modern Indian history. Himself a mystic, poet and calligrapher of great charm and accomplishment, Zafar nourished the talents of India’s greatest love poet, Ghalib, and his rival Zauq – the Mogul poet laureate, and the Salieri to Ghalib’s Mozart.

While the British took over more of the Emperor’s power, removing his head from the coins, seizing complete control even of Delhi itself, and laying plans to remove the Moguls altogether, the court busied itself in pursuit of the most moving love lyric, the most cleverly turned ghazal. As the political sky darkened, the court was lost in a last idyll of pleasure gardens and courtesans.

Then on a May morning in 1857, 300 mutinous sepoys from Meerut rode into Delhi, massacred every British man, woman and child they could find, and declared Zafar to be their leader and Emperor. No friend of the British, Zafar was powerless to resist being made figurehead of an uprising he knew from the start was doomed: a chaotic and officerless army of unpaid peasant soldiers set against the forces of the world’s greatest contemporary military power. No foreign army was in a position to intervene to support the rebels, and they had little ammunition and few supplies. The Siege of Delhi was the Raj’s Stalingrad: a fight to the death between two powers, neither of whom could retreat. There were unimaginable casualties on both sides. Finally, on September 14, 1857, the British attacked and took the city, sacking the Mogul capital. The entire population who survived the massacre were driven out of Delhi.

Though the royal family had surrendered peacefully, many of the Emperor’s sons were tried and hanged, while three were shot in cold blood, having first freely given up their arms, then been told to strip naked. Zafar himself was put on trial in the ruins of his old palace, and sentenced to transportation. He left his beloved Delhi on a peasant’s bullock cart. Separated from everything he loved, broken-hearted, the last of the Great Moguls died in exile in Rangoon on November 7, 1862, aged 87.
It is an extraordinary and tragic story, and one I have dedicated the past three years to researching. Archives containing Zafar’s letters and his court records can be found in London, Lahore and even Rangoon. Most of the material, however, lies in Delhi. The writing of the book therefore gave me a welcome excuse to flee the grey skies of Chiswick and move back to this, my favourite of cities; one that has haunted me for more than 20 years.

I first fell in love with Delhi when I arrived, aged 18, on the foggy winter’s night of January 26, 1984. The airport was surrounded by shrouded men huddled under shawls, and it was surprisingly cold. I knew nothing at all about India.

My childhood had been spent in rural Scotland, on the shores of the Firth of Forth, south-east of Edinburgh. My parents were convinced that they lived in the most beautiful place imaginable and rarely took us on holiday. At the age of 11, I begged my mother to take me abroad, as I was the only boy in the class who had not had a glimpse of life overseas. So she took me to Paris for the weekend. Perhaps for this reason Delhi – and India in general – had a greater and more overwhelming effect on me than it would have had on other, more cosmopolitan teenagers; certainly the city hooked me from the start. It was the ruins that fascinated me. However hard the planners tried to create new colonies of gleaming concrete, crumbling towers, old mosques or ancient colleges would intrude, appearing suddenly on roundabouts or in municipal gardens. New Delhi was not new at all. Its broad avenues encompassed a groaning necropolis, a graveyard of dynasties.

Slowly I grew to be fascinated with the Moguls who had once lived there, and began reading voraciously about them. The Red Fort is to Delhi what the Acropolis is to Athens, and by far the most substantial monument that the Moguls left in Delhi.

Yet however often I visited it, the Red Fort always made me sad. When the British captured it after 1857, they pulled down the gorgeous harem apartments, and in their place erected a line of some of the most ugly buildings ever thrown up by the British Empire – a set of barracks that look as if they have been modelled on Wormwood Scrubs. The barracks should of course have been torn down years ago, but the fort’s current proprietors, the Archaeological Survey of India, have lovingly continued the work of decay initiated by the British: white marble pavilions have been allowed to discolour; plasterwork has been left to collapse. The Mogul buildings that remain – a line of single-storey pavilions, the Emperor’s private apartments – stand still in their marble simplicity; superb and melancholy, but without their carpets, awnings and gorgeous trappings they look strangely uncomfortable. Only the barracks look well-maintained.

The first East India Company Officials who settled in the melancholy ruins of Delhi at the end of the 18th century were a series of sympathetic and notably eccentric figures who were deeply attracted to the high courtly culture that the capital still represented. Sir David Ochterlony set the tone. With his fondness for hookahs and nautch girls and Indian costumes, Ochterlony amazed Bishop Reginald Heber, the Anglican Primate of Calcutta, by receiving him sitting on a divan wearing Hindustani pyjamas and a turban while being fanned by servants. Although the people of Delhi knew Ochterlony as “Loony Akhtar”, when in the Indian capital he liked to be addressed by his full Mogul title, Nasir-ud-Daula, Defender of the State, and to live the life of a Mogul gentleman.

sejwaldeepak
March 11th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Ochterlony was not, however, alone – either in his Indianised tastes, or the dilemmas this precipitated in his relations with his more orthodox compatriots. When the formidable Lady Maria Nugent, wife of the new British Commander-in-Chief in India, visited Delhi she was horrified by what she saw there. It was not just Ochterlony had “gone native”, she reported; his assistants William Fraser and Edward Gardner were even worse.

Fraser, it turned out, was a distant cousin of my wife, Olivia. A Persian scholar from Inverness, he pruned his moustaches in the Rajput manner and, according to one traveller, fathered “as many children as the King of Persia” from his harem of “six or seven legitimate [Indian] wives who all live together some 50 leagues from Delhi”. He was also a friend and a patron to the great poet Ghalib, the poet laureate of Zafar’s Delhi. Two things in particular seem to have put paid to this formerly easy co-existence: one was the rise of British power, and the other was the rise of Evangelical Christianity. In a few years the British defeated all their Indian rivals and, not unlike the Americans after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the changed balance of power quickly led to an attitude of undisguised imperial arrogance. This change in the religious tenor also profoundly changed attitudes. No longer were Indians seen as inheritors of a body of sublime and ancient wisdom, as 18th-century luminaries such as Sir William Jones and Warren Hastings had once believed; but instead merely “poor benighted heathen”, or even “licentious pagans”, who, it was hoped, were eagerly awaiting conversion.

As the military and economic realities of British power and territorial ambition closed in, among Zafar and his circle literary ambition replaced the political variety, and this taste for poetry soon filtered down to the Delhi streets: a compilation of Urdu poets published in 1855, The Garden of Poetry, contains no less than 53 poets from Delhi, who range from the Emperor to a poor water-seller.

The closest focused record of the Red Fort at this period is the court diary, which contains a detailed day-by-day picture of Zafar’s life. The last emperor appears as a benign old man, daily having olive oil rubbed in his feet to soothe his aches, occasionally rousing himself to visit a garden or host a poetic symposium. Afternoons were spent watching his elephants being bathed in the Jumna, and evenings “enjoying the moonlight”, listening to ghazal singers. By the early 1850s, however, many British officials were nursing plans to abolish the Mogul court and impose not just British laws and technology on India, but also Christianity. The reaction to this steady crescendo of insensitivity came in 1857, with the Great Mutiny. Of the 139,000 sepoys of the Bengal Army – the largest modern army in Asia – all but 7,796 turned against their British masters. In some parts of India, the sepoys were joined by the entire population, as the uprising touched a popular chord.

Delhi was the principal centre of the uprising. As mutinous troops poured into the city from all round northern India, it was clear from the outset that the British had to recapture Delhi or lose their Indian empire forever. Equally, the rebels realised that if they lost Delhi they lost everything. Every available British soldier was therefore sent to the Delhi Ridge, and for the four hottest months of the Indian summer, the Mogul capital was bombarded by British artillery, with thousands of civilians caught up in the horrors.

The Great Mutiny has usually been told by the Marxist historians of the Sixties and Seventies primarily as a rising against British economic policies. Over the past three years, however, I and my team of Urdu and Persian translators have been translating some of the 20,000 documents we have found in the National Archives of India, which allow the Rising of 1857 to be seen for the first time from a properly Indian perspective, and not from the British sources from which to date it has almost exclusively been viewed.

What we have found has remarkable resonance with the political situation today: for as far as the Indian participants were concerned, the Rising was overwhelmingly a war of religion, looked upon as a defensive action against the rapid inroads missionaries and Christianity were making in India, as well as a fight for freedom. As the sepoys told Zafar on May 11, 1857, “we have joined hands to protect our religion and our faith”. British men who had converted to Islam were not hurt, but Indians who had converted to Christianity were cut down immediately. Although the great majority of the sepoys were Hindus, in Delhi a flag of jihad was raised in the principal mosque, and many of the insurgents described themselves as mujihadin, ghazis and jihadis. One of the causes of unrest, according to one Delhi source, was that “the British had closed the madrassas.” These were words that had no resonance to earlier historians. Now, sadly, in the aftermath of 9/11 and July 7, they are words we understand all too well.

If all this has strong contemporary echoes, in other ways Delhi feels as if it is fast moving away from its Mogul past. In modern Delhi, an increasingly wealthy Punjabi middle class now live in an aspirational bubble of fast-rising shopping malls, espresso bars and multiplexes. On every side, rings of new suburbs are springing up on land that only two years ago was billowing winter wheat. These new neighbourhoods are invariably given unrealistically enticing names – Beverly Hills, Windsor Court – an indication, perhaps, of where their owners would prefer to be.

Everywhere there is a profound hope that the country’s rapidly rising international status will somehow compensate for a past often perceived as a succession of defeats at the hands of foreign powers. Whatever the reason, the result is a tragic neglect of Delhi’s magnificent past. Sometimes it seems as if no other great city of the world is less cared for.

Occasionally there is an outcry as the tomb of the poet Zauq is discovered to have disappeared under a municipal urinal or the haveli house of Ghalib has been turned into a coal store; but by and large losses go unrecorded.

Sometimes, I visit the atmospheric ruins of Zafar’s summer palace, look out from its great gateway, and wonder what Zafar would have made of all this. Looking over the Sufi shrine that abuts his palace, I suspect he would somehow have managed to make his peace with the fast-changing cyber-India of call centres and software parks that are slowly overpowering the last remnants of his world. After all, realism and acceptance were always qualities Zafar excelled in. For all the tragedy of his life, he was able to see that the world continued to turn, and that however much the dogs might bark, the great caravan of life moves on. As he wrote in a poem shortly after his imprisonment, and as Mogul Delhi lay in ruins around him:

Delhi was once a paradise,
Where Love held sway and reigned;
But its charm lies ravished now
And only ruins remain.
No tears were shed when shroudless they
Were laid in common graves;
No prayers were read for the noble dead,
Unmarked remain their graves
But things cannot remain, O Zafar,
Thus for who can tell?
Through God’s great mercy and the Prophet
All may yet be well.

The Last Mughal, part of William Dalrymple’s Mughal Quartet, will be published by Bloomsbury next October; www.williamdalrymple.com

sejwaldeepak
March 11th, 2006, 09:17 AM
William Dalrymple's Delhi: all you need to know
GETTING THERE

British Airways (0870 8509850; www.ba.com) flies daily to Delhi from around £435 return. Air India (020-8745 1000; www.airindia.com) also
has direct flights.

STAYING THERE

For a true oasis of calm, book into the Oberoi (00 800 1234 0101; www.oberoihotels.com), which has a fantastic spa, and four restaurants. Doubles from £160. For something unusual, try The Park, a hotel inspired by Hindu philosophy, with fire, water, air and space recurring themes throughout. Doubles from £112. Book with Design Hotels (00 800 37 46 83 57; www.designhotels.com).

Companies offering tailor-made and group tours include Greaves India (020-7487 9111; www.greavesindia. com) and Cox & Kings
(020-7873 5000; www.coxandkings.co.uk).

Favourite monuments

The Red Fort – the Mogul palace complex of Shah Jehan. Humayun’s Tomb – the greatest early Mogul tomb. Safdarjung Tomb – the last of the great Mogul tombs.

Begumpur Masjid – magnificent medieval mosque.

The Qu’tb Minar – spectacular early medieval victory tower.

Tughlakabad – medieval barracks build as a defence against the Mongols of Genghis Khan.

Zafar Mahal – Zafar’s crumbling summer palace.

Favourite walks

The Lodhi Gardens – Delhi’s answer to Central Park – laid out by Thirties vicereign Lady Willingdon around some early medieval tombs of the Lodhi period.

The Mehrauli Archaeological Park – a wonderful new wooded walk through crumbling ruins to the south of the Qu’tb Minar. Rajpath – from India Gate to Lutyens’ great masterpiece, the Viceroy’s House, now called Rastrapati Bhavan. For my money, the best British building of the 20th century.

The Civil Lines – north of old Delhi lie the quiet streets where the British built their bungalows in the 1830s. Many bear the scars of 1857.

Restaurants

Karim’s – near the Jama Masjid in Old Delhi (00 91 11 2326 9880). Authentic Mogul food and a great adventure to find at night.

Swagath – South India fish restaurant in Defence Colony Market (00 91 11 2433 7538). The Bukhara and Dum Pukht, both in the Maurya Sheraton Hotel (00 91 11 2611 2233). Terrible decor, spectacular (though expensive) food.

Punjabi By Nature in Vasant Vihar (00 91 11 5151 6666) – good, filling Punjabi food.

devdahiya
March 11th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Ye Akhbaar gerr gya tadkehein-tadkke rakkass....Manne tei guss aagi.....mei tei isski headlines padhh teihein marran nei hogya tha......Yo ja ju liya ibb ke batawie sei iss julammi ke barre mei.......Killakki@ Guss Aagi. Anyways tanne likhya sei te padhha tei ge Jotte maar-2. Orr matt likhiye aagge iss ke barre mei na te Kaal nahin pakdungga arr tetrre sirr ho ke marungga....BASOLLA marr lyunga apnne sirr mei....samjhya-ak-nahin berri?

THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFORMATION...jokes apart.

rakeshmalik
March 13th, 2006, 10:47 PM
sher from Zafar when in Rangoon(last time). keh do in hassraton ko, kahi or ja bassen,, itne jaghay nahi hai, dile-dag-dar main.