PDA

View Full Version : Am i being paying to be the Jat

sandydalal
April 24th, 2006, 03:51 PM
hi everyone

This is sandeep
Done MBA Recently from Delhi
belong Village Naguran(Jind) Haryana

Am i paying to be jat or haryanvi. I born in a small village of Jind. i complete my schooling from village.I always stood first in class and and got merit from haryana Govt.I always think i am the best and i have name and fame in my village and also the villages which are nearby to my village.But these days a seriousc a matter going with me . When i sit in any interview,the acsent which i communicate is the mixer of english and some acsent of haryanvi. Every interviewer said you have not better communucation skills,and i am not shortlisted.I always try to over come this problem,but naturally i fails.Is English only the factor which run the organisation.Why knoweldge is being going small in front of English.Am i responsible for all that or the culture which i got from my surroundings

Can anyone suggest me what should i do

neetu21
April 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Hi Sandeep, don't get upset with this issue.Its not like that this is a problem faced only by Haryana jats or so!!! Infact, every person generally carries his/her regional accent.I mean you can see there is a difference between how north Indians and South Indians speak english!!!
So just try to focus what would be the correct pronounciation of a word is, and you can do this through using several online dictionaries (which have the option how that word is pronounced), like www.dictionary.com.....

And one more thing, don't consider yourself responsible for this, English is important because its a global language,and its quite important for growth opportunities also!!!
knowledge is indeed power, but English is now a medium to express that power!! So don't lose heart and try your best now!! And thats what for we Jats are famous, because we never give up, right? :)

Best of luck :):)

ssgoyat
April 24th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Hi am from Kapro (UCHANA) jind.Doing mech engg. from YMCA.......even i had the same problem,but now i am okay with fluency, but weak in grammer.......

you should listen english songs (of bryan adams,backsteet,celina dion,enrique etc.....) and then go to absolutelyric.com to find their lyrics......and then with ur discman/ipod/walkman...... sing these songs by urself.....so that even u couldn't hear your voice(this would remove your hesitation.....it's a must do)........sing as badly as u can....... and then start improving it.

This method of mine is devloped specially for jat's and it has really worked well.....

You can also try viewing Zee english (like the benny hill show,FULL house...... for british accent)

hope this would work for u also......
and if it works give me feedback...@
ssgoyat@yahoo.co.in

Okay yar...............

deswal
April 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Sandeep bhai,

You have raised an important issue that commands serious consideration on behalf of the members. So please wait for good replies. You will certainly get some.

In the meantime let me tell you you are not the only one facing that kind of problem. Almost many of us face such situations some time or the other in our life. For being jat or rather for belonging to rural part of India, on one hand we gain something on the other we lose. So do not get disheartened. But there are solutions.

aakashtahlan
April 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Dear brother,
it true that we some time face difficult times, but as your mails shows, you are a bit depressed,plze don't be. but be currageous,success is waiting for you next step, but before that you need to do your part of hardwork.
Regards,
Aakash Tahlan.

yashmalik
April 24th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Sandeep I m sorry to say but your story and esp. the title of the thread made me quite angry. Unfortunatly this story is applicable to other young thousands of Jat youths who feel the same. Well anyways the solution of your problem is below.

Look, the success in bussiness can be achieved only by democratic principles and by cosmopolitan environment. A sereous and competetive bussiness man will only hire the people who meets the demand of the market and of that particular position. He will never see who and what the interviewer is, he'll only see how can he earn money and grow bussiness from his staff.

Your language and Jat culture is not the hurdle but the local accent is. If somebody else other than you speaks english in Punjabi, Bangali, Bihari, Marathi or in Tamil accent, ofcourse he'll be kicked out no matter what!

You dont have to be so sad and worry, the problem is very simple. You have to work to improve your communication skills.
YOU'LL HAVE TO MEET THE DEMAND OF THE MARKET TO GROW AND TO BE AHEAD.

You dont have to make Jat Culture responsible for whatever happened to you but the lack of skills which you didnt have, and these skills are very achievable just give it a try.:)

As my dad says "A man is own responsible for his failures"

Cumon now, be a Jat and accept the challenge. Work best for it and shoot for your aim.

sunitahooda
April 24th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Hi Sandeep....To have knowledge is a different thing and Express that knowledge in an effective way is very different from having knowledge. I used to read lots of english material like Novels/magazines/story books and listen to english music and watching english movies and programmes. You can read dictionary for better vocabulary. And spell check even when you write simple letters. I can see some spelling mistakes in this also. As in subject of your thread AM I BEING PAYING TO BE THE JAT....here should have written Being Paid....and A JAT in place of THE JAT....so be careful and keep learning. You can do it...be confident !

hi everyone

This is sandeep
Done MBA Recently from Delhi
belong Village Naguran(Jind) Haryana

Am i paying to be jat or haryanvi. I born in a small village of Jind. i complete my schooling from village.I always stood first in class and and got merit from haryana Govt.I always think i am the best and i have name and fame in my village and also the villages which are nearby to my village.But these days a seriousc a matter going with me . When i sit in any interview,the acsent which i communicate is the mixer of english and some acsent of haryanvi. Every interviewer said you have not better communucation skills,and i am not shortlisted.I always try to over come this problem,but naturally i fails.Is English only the factor which run the organisation.Why knoweldge is being going small in front of English.Am i responsible for all that or the culture which i got from my surroundings

Can anyone suggest me what should i do

deepakchoudhry
April 24th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Hi Sandeep,
This is a common problem and you are not alone in this.

I can share something from my experience....I found listening to the BBC News very useful....It is very precise in terms of usage of vocabulary and elocution.

BBC News readers are well trained in this kind of thing.

Practice is the Key word here...Listen to the News and try to repeat it and loudly, then practice it ask your dear ones for feed back.

The second method I used was to read aloud Editorials from English Newspapers (at least 30 min everyday). It helped me a great deal. Within 15 days I could say most of the tongue twisters in the English Language.

You have to speak the Language to learn it and there is no other way.

Once you start you will slowly loose the accent but don’t give up...its just a matter of time.

Best Wishes,
Deepak

itsnavin
April 24th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Hi am from Kapro (UCHANA) jind.Doing mech engg. from YMCA.......even i had the same problem,but now i am okay with fluency, but weak in grammer.......

you should listen english songs (of bryan adams,backsteet,celina dion,enrique etc.....) and then go to absolutelyric.com to find their lyrics......and then with ur discman/ipod/walkman...... sing these songs by urself.....so that even u couldn't hear your voice(this would remove your hesitation.....it's a must do)........sing as badly as u can....... and then start improving it.

This method of mine is devloped specially for jat's and it has really worked well.....

You can also try viewing Zee english (like the benny hill show,FULL house...... for british accent)

hope this would work for u also......
and if it works give me feedback...@
ssgoyat@yahoo.co.in

Okay yar...............

Bhai...tera yo english gaaney sunne wala idea kuch khana badhiya konya? I am afraid if Sandeep tries to go that way, he'll find himself completely lost. Infact, this is not the first ladder...he should try this later..
Anyway, Sandeep...u can adopt some or all of these methods to improve english.
- one of ideas can be to read newspaper daily and read it loudly.
- Watch only English news channels.
- Try watching English movies with english subtitles.
- The best one is to buy a tape recorder...for the first 2 weeks, record one hour of tape daily by reading from newspapers and then listen it. Notedown what shortcoming u found in it. And then 3rd week onwards, record ur extempore in the tape(<30mins) on any topics and re-evaluate it.
- If u know 2-3 guys who seriously want to improve their english, make a small group(3-4). Try loud readings, extempores, news analysis etc etc in english and tell other to point out the wrong accent and other improvements.
- Leave hesitation aside and speak! Don't worry about what other say.

Try these!

rockingguy
April 24th, 2006, 06:06 PM
hey cummon dude, its can be with anyone.. here i m lookin many ppl..who have same problem..but its ur strong determination which makes u do everything..
one of my friend here...came from a village from hisar..he is really brillant in studies..but not good in english..and this stupid country i.e US judge everybody on the scale of english(so that we can communicate) and a basic maths(because they ppl are even hard of understandin basic algebra)..but that guy was really brillant..he really practised very hard and got really scored good on the scale of US and now he is studyin here with 100% scholarship..it was really hard for him to make for his studies in india..but now he is doin really wonderful here..
even i was not able to speak english well..i was not having confidence to face an interview..and now i guess..now i m far better then these firangies..
solution is: be determinant, and join some course in delhi like one i know is Hero mindmine i.e in delhi they provide course....for improving ur english..and better listen news at CNN to better understand english..and listen very easy going songs..of english..u can start with "Nothin gonna change my love" dats the easiest and that was the one from where i started...and for sure its gonna help u..
and never forget..
We have dreams to fulfill
We have promises to keep
and Miles to go
before we sleep..
and be determinant...
and make one this clear in ur mind

JATS ARE BORN SMART..

grewalrakesh
April 24th, 2006, 06:07 PM
To be very honest with you..I also faced the same problem once...

the remedy is to speak up........what ever sentence you think you should have spoken in Eng....translate atonce...initially you may sound odd...but gradually it will get into a right shape...
and one more thing...try to pronounce them correctly....try to know the pronunciation of each new word you learn...or better I should say..make it a hobby...don't ever let any word pass by without knowing its meaning and pronuncitation...
read some novels.....some interesting ones are...

Five point someone-Chetan Bhagat
The monk who sold his Ferrari-Sharma
Alchemist- Olheo
Lee Iacocca, Autobiography..
Chicken soup series.
Da Vinci Code-Dan Brown
Beating the street-Lynch
One up on wall street- Lynch
Straight from the gut-Welch
Making of a Capitalist-Lowenstein
The Warren Buffet way- Hagstorm
How to win friends and influence people-Carnegie
The seven Habits of effective people- Covey's book
Rich Dad Poor Dad- Kyoski

and apart from readin...try to listen to good english...better watch movies...and try to learn the pronunciation...definitely..it helps a lot...try to learn how they frame the sentences...

Language is all about your cramming power.
Wish you all the best.....dalal sahab..

Keep Smiling
Rakesh Kumar

fool4love
April 24th, 2006, 08:29 PM
..and this stupid country i.e US judge everybody on the scale of english(so that we can communicate) ..

this is funny... ur IN an ENGLISH country..
...n ur calling the ENGLISH country stupid.. coz they
judge u on ENGLISH....:confused:

ritu
April 24th, 2006, 08:55 PM
DHANDA BHAI I do not want to offend u and I can understand u r new here and feeling lonely.For ur information this is the only country where people judge u by skills.and IF U.S. IS A STUPID COUNTRY U WOULD NOT BE HERE.ACTUALLY I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE IN iNDIA R MORE INTO THIS ENGLISH THING.
and its In India only where speaking english is no 1 characterstics to be modern
once again I am sorry If unintentinaly I hurt u.

[quote=rockingguy]hey cummon dude, its can be with anyone.. here i m lookin many ppl..who have same problem..but its ur strong determination which makes u do everything..
one of my friend here...came from a village from hisar..he is really brillant in studies..but not good in english..and this stupid country

devdahiya
April 24th, 2006, 09:05 PM
My dear Sandeep, you seem to be in grip of a complex i suppose.English is not that difficult.Most of us studied in villages and hence problem of not being able to communicate properly is partly because of surroundings you got and largly because you did not bother enough to take on the problem head on.Please don't get into the blame game and waste no time now....make a habit of talking in English......find people who talk in English rather than the people who can only talk in hindi and jattu....as these languages you can speak any time as you know them well.Company is important...develope a habit of interacting with people who are superior in English.....and also practice alone infront of a mirror...don't feel shy.Though the people from our belt have a general weakness in English but i know many jats who have studied in the remotest portions of Haryana but can speak a wonderful English.....which convent educated can not.So my dear wake up and fight your battles yourself...No parents,No schools,no teachers and no region is responsible for your shortcomings...IT IS YOU AND YOU ALONE WHO IS RESPONSIBLE AND YOU ONLY CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE........ALL THE BEST....MOVE MAN MOVE!

ritu
April 24th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I think thats the kind of of guidance sandeep needed. so sandeep follow dev ji directions .

So my dear wake up and fight your battles yourself...No parents,No schools,no teachers and no region is responsible for your shortcomings...IT IS YOU AND YOU ALONE WHO IS RESPONSIBLE AND YOU ONLY CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE........ALL THE BEST....MOVE MAN MOVE![/quote]

vijay
April 24th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Dear Sandeep,

First of all don't get depressed. It's the common problem with our community more or less.

Just try to improve in any way you feel comfortable with. As it is going to help you in a long way. I will say that communication skills matters in any industry but mostly in interviews and once you are in, nobody cares about that. Your actual skills are going to decide your fate.

Just be a true jat fighter and go ahead.

Don't feel defeated before you are defeated in real.

Cheers and best of luck, dear !

rockingguy
April 24th, 2006, 09:57 PM
okie dats fine..watever u say is fine..but i guess english should not be the criteria for doin MS CS all the master courses.....yeah i have been able to do good in english..but i know many ppl who don't get any oppurtunity to study in good school...they are having good technical skill even better then the ppl studing here..but as they r not able to speak good english they are not able to make out good in computers or any other technical skill..i know many ppl who are not able to avail good studies and good break in good companies..just because of english..if this country checks ur skills they better should check on ur ability to think logically for technical field...rather then giving stress on GRE ....yeah english matters at this is the language of communication but not the criteria to judge the ability of ppl....i guess u might be rite but ur ability to understand technical stuff doesn't depends on english...i m in the country where more of the ppl speak spanish then english....ratio of english speakin in india is equivalent to US.

sandydalal
April 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
thanks all of you to motivate > I will follow whatever you all suggest to me.Its a kind of deed that you all done for me.From today itself i start to follow the direction which you all give me.Form next time you all feel the change in me definately

deswal
April 26th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Dear Sandeep,

I would like to suggest the following books for reading:

1. Word Power Made Easy--by Norman Lewis
2. Common Errors of Indian Students--OUP
3. The Law of Success--by Napolean Hill

And bear in mind "When every thing is lost future still remains."

poonam
April 26th, 2006, 11:24 AM
And bear in mind "When every thing is lost future still remains."

And also "Things break down before a Breakthrough"..:)

Good luck to you, Sandeep!

sansanwalamit
April 26th, 2006, 01:04 PM
okie dats fine..watever u say is fine..but i guess english should not be the criteria for doin MS CS all the master courses.....yeah i have been able to do good in english..but i know many ppl who don't get any oppurtunity to study in good school...they are having good technical skill even better then the ppl studing here..but as they r not able to speak good english they are not able to make out good in computers or any other technical skill..i know many ppl who are not able to avail good studies and good break in good companies..just because of english..if this country checks ur skills they better should check on ur ability to think logically for technical field...rather then giving stress on GRE ....yeah english matters at this is the language of communication but not the criteria to judge the ability of ppl....i guess u might be rite but ur ability to understand technical stuff doesn't depends on english...i m in the country where more of the ppl speak spanish then english....ratio of english speakin in india is equivalent to US.

Language is really important for academics, I just wonder why would an Indian person complain about English being an essential part of GRE. Think of Chinese and other students who come from "no english at all" backgrounds and still excel in all the spheres in academics. I consider Indians in much better place than them when it comes to English, and still due to their hard work these students give Indian students a tough fight in admission process and acadmics itself.

Be it knowledge of English or other technical skills to study and live in an English speaking country both are important. If we start criticising the exam then we must wonder whether an English graduate student really needs to do all that Math. I think a good level of English even in western world does tell a lot about a person's employability, level of knowledge and skills.

Cheers,

P.S. There is an ongoing thread recently started by Amit Chillar in one of the job forums on this site, I suppose we all should chip in to help everyone with the language instead of simply arguing about relevance of English which is now the official Lingua Franca of the world.

sansanwalamit
April 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
thanks all of you to motivate > I will follow whatever you all suggest to me.Its a kind of deed that you all done for me.From today itself i start to follow the direction which you all give me.Form next time you all feel the change in me definately

Dear Sandeep:

All the best to you.

Cheers,

Amit

dahiyarules
April 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Baat uss zamaney kee hai jab main 12th class ke baad tafree marya karta thaa. Maa ke naak mein dum aa gaya. Phir ek din mere andar ka insaan jaag gaya. Maine maa se bolya ki main naukreee karunga. To main nikal gaya doston ke saath Call Center Interviews ke liye.

I do not know how the selection process works for call centers these days. But, those days the process started with an introduction round. There were three other rounds, but I never made it past the introduction round.

I never got a job in a call center. In a way it was good as it gave me a chance to study for my SAT and TOEFL, and I made it to the US.

I have been here a few years. My best learning experience was a Business Communication course that I took last year. It tremendously helped improve my written and spoken english skills.

Now I work as a Classroom Support at my school. Most of the time I am on the phone with Americans. I am really good at switching my dialects. My American friends say that they can hardly make out that I am a non-native, over the phone. My desi friends (ask Keshav Dahiya by god ;-) ) always say that I still sound as "jat" as one can be.

The moral of the story is that we adapt to the environment we live and work in. We are comfortable if we confirm to the required standards. But, we struggle to improve ourselves if we fail the standards.

My suggestion would be that those who have problem with written or spoken english need to immerse themselves in a demanding environment. This could be done by:

1. Reading english publication. Avoid Delhi Times. It will $crew your english even further.

2. Communicate in english with those who are good at it.

3. Listen to english radio shows or watch english TV programming.

4. Writing is the most part. You cannot improve your spoken english without having good writing skills. So write as much as you can. Get someone to proofread what you write and improve on your mistakes.

Honestly, it is not the end of the world if your english $ucks. I know so many Patels here in the US who can hardly speak a word in english, but are millionaires.

It is your career objectives and your determination that really matter.

nirajsihag
April 26th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Bhai Aisa hai Kuch kar lai nothing will help you out the only thing that can help
you out is determination to achieve Something.

Just try to speak with yourself bcz it is not possible here to live in a english speaking enviorment,Be critc of yorrself and introspect yourself that what you are not having in yourself.

There is nothing in this blame game, I will advice you to nurchure atleast one of the your talents to such a level that even if you speak haryanvi,they will say plz join our company Sir.

You need to have something extra and that can be anything.

I can quote you hendreds of example of recent time "of our jat boys" who reached such great heights even without knowing english, You just cant speak well.

I rember the words of my grandfather who always used to say to me.

"Khanzar Ke Kya Mazal Ke Tujhe Khayal Kar Sake

Ye Too Tera Hai Khayal Ke Tu Khayal Ho Gaya"

shailendra
April 29th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Sandeep,
Members have already posted here what is right and that being; this is a problem that anyone can face (and not just a Harayanvi Jat etc.)...so I will not just add to the same! (Hell, I myself self confessedly walk around with quite a heavy accent here at work; the only difference being that I am in a place that the Hispanics do an even worse job then me and so mine goes relatively un-noticed! Heh! Heh!:D )...

Now anyways coming back to helping you figure out something: now that you know what the problem is and what is it that is holding back any of your planned progress....then why don't you take some very aggressive steps about it!...let me just throw an idea out there for you and it may or may not be useful, but let's give you some food for thought:

We all know about this new wave of outsourcing and call centers in India, and more importantly (in your case here) those lil' speech and accent teaching centers that have sprung up everywhere in the nation like mushrooms!...WHY NOT TAKE THE BENEFIT OF THAT? The ultimate goal is the same after all, isn't it? (and I am not suggesting you be a call center employee or something) but that is to adopt a good enough English speaking accent!...What say?

msingh
May 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM
HI SANDEEP ,DONT WORRY AND U WILL OVERCOME ALL OF THIS,BUT ONE THIBG WHICH IS VERY IMPORATANT IS THT U DONT HAVE TO BE SHY,,,,U WILLL FEEL MORE CONFIDENT ,DONT HESITATE ATALL,,EK BAR GALTI HOGI ,DO BAAR HOGI,LOG PEHLI BAAR DEKHEGE AUR HASSAN GE,,BUT WHEN THEY WILL SEE THT U R MAKING EFFORTS TRUST ME THEY WILL BE WITH U THE WAY WE R TODAY WITH U SUGGESTING THINGS
aLSO ,,do to dictionary.com,,on tht u will also get the actual prononciation of the words ,kyonki waise to vocabalary strong kaar lo but jab tak sahi tarah pronounce nahin karoge ,,,baat na bane soo chk ttht website,,and also stand infront of the mirror and talk to ur self this will help u a lot
chalo no worrie,,and let me tell u i know a spanish guy who didnt knew a asinglt word of english and now he is making websites for these goras
so u can do it mate u can
all the best