PDA

View Full Version : why marry in suits and shervanis

neerajshoran
May 1st, 2006, 12:55 AM
Jat bhaiyo ek baar phir raam raam

I reiterate that to keep our idnetity unique we must keep our culture alive. Ofcourse in the ever advancing world we can't expect our youth to rome around in dhoti, kurta, khandva and daman etc. However, marriages etc. are the occassions when we should stick to our culture.

People southern and eastern states still wear their traditional dresses during these occassions, and celeberate in their traditional way. However, we have 'advanced' to 3 piece suit and english band or of late started copying punjabi culture being shown in movies DDLJ or HAHK. On these occassions we must take pride in wearing our traditional dress of dhoti kurta and ladies in daman kurti borla jooti etc. Let the DJ go home on this day and should come in our ragini, saang, dhol,sarangi,all our culture.It may take some time but we must start and take pride in that. Ek baar jat ki ego par aa gayee to very soon you will find 3 piece suits shervanis saris etc,. being sent back to where they belong. I myself is a culprit as i didn't follow this during my marriage as i hadn't thought about it, but i really regret why didn't I.

Once again i want to say that this shouldn't be forced on our youth in their day to day life but on occassions like marriages we should be JATS IN FULL FORM IN TRUE AND ORIGINAL COLOURS.

Remember our language and culture is our identity, you open your mouth and they know you are a JAT and this is how it should be. Believe me, nobody counters when a jat speaks even in the biggest of forums in the army. Because they know what we talk is harsh but is 'the truth'.

Neeraj Shoran

desijat
May 1st, 2006, 01:24 AM
Jat bhaiyo ek baar phir raam raam

Remember our language and culture is our identity, you open your mouth and they know you are a JAT and this is how it should be. Believe me, nobody counters when a jat speaks even in the biggest of forums in the army. Because they know what we talk is harsh but is 'the truth'.

Neeraj Shoran
Bhai
Sahi kaha
abhi meri cousin ki shadi hui, and trust me, the way we enjoyed on these 3 songs, no one did on any other songs....

1. Mera Chundad sima de re o nandi ke bira

2. Mera nau dandi ka bijna

3. Jija tu kala

Bhai Jitna majja inme aave se itna kahen mein ni ata

Ek mera fav hai - MERI CHATRI KE NEECHE AJA KYU BHEEGE KAMLA KHADI KHADI

deswal
May 1st, 2006, 01:36 AM
On these occassions we must take pride in wearing our traditional dress of dhoti kurta and ladies in daman kurti borla jooti etc. Let the DJ go home on this day and should come in our ragini, saang, dhol,sarangi,all our culture.It may take some time but we must start and take pride in that.

Neeraj Shoran

Idea is good. We need a Haryanavi renaissance. But

# do we still have skilled tailors for 'daman'?
#I believe in a few years 'saang' will be a thing of the past. The process has already set in. We are also short of good folk lyrists.

neerajshoran
May 1st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Idea is good. We need a Haryanavi renaissance. But

# do we still have skilled tailors for 'daman'?
#I believe in a few years 'saang' will be a thing of the past. The process has already set in. We are also short of good folk lyrists.

deswal bhai raam raam

you are absolutely right that all these icons of our culture are going to be things of past. Leave all this i am not able to find my dadiji's charkha and very soon other things will also be extinct. If we want to save our culture and things associated with our culture we all will have to take initiative.
This is one of the way, at least during our marriages and such functions we can stop immitating punjabi and foreign culture.

I am bit disappointed i expected more response, and was expecting young jats and jatnis saying that they will dress in haryanvi dresses for their marriages. Also elders like you can motivate others and that is the only way we will be able to save our culture.

Neeraj Sheoran

ritu
May 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM
bhai neeraj aura ki baat bad me aap honestly batao aap pahnoge dhoti apne bhai me er aap apni dulhan ko daman me dekhna pasand karoge shadi wale din.INQLAB LANE SE PEHLE KHUD INQLABI BANNA PADTA HE.THATS THE ONLY WAY TO MOTIVATE OTHERS.
mera to ho liya bhai na to bhai jarur pehn leti .

I am bit disappointed i expected more response, and was expecting young jats and jatnis saying that they will dress in haryanvi dresses for their marriages. Also elders like you can motivate others and that is the only way we will be able to save our culture.

Neeraj Sheoran[/quote]

neerajshoran
May 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM
[quote=ritu]bhai neeraj aura ki baat bad me aap honestly batao aap pahnoge dhoti apne bhai me er aap apni dulhan ko daman me dekhna pasand karoge shadi wale din.INQLAB LANE SE PEHLE KHUD INQLABI BANNA PADTA HE.THATS THE ONLY WAY TO MOTIVATE OTHERS.
mera to ho liya bhai na to bhai jarur pehn leti .

Dear Ritu Behen,

You have said that you would have worn then why can't others. As far as my case is concerned i have already written about it in the thread, however may be in a year or two my brother will get married and i assure you that him and all our family members will do exactly as i have written in my thread.

Secondly, Ritu with your reaction i felt that you consider dhoti and daman some thing shameful or inferior, if so is the case i need not try and convince you any further, atleast thanks that you wrote some thing about it.

Anyway this was one of the ways in which we can save our jat heritage and culture. Look at south indian and marathi brahmins bengalis and assamese they strictly wear their traditional dresses during their marriages. In case of maharashtrian brahmins groom wears a dhoti with a janeu on top.

Neeraj Sheoran

ritu
May 1st, 2006, 10:04 PM
I do not want to offend u .I appreciate at least u r thinking for ur culture and BEFORE EVERY GOOD DEED COMES GOOD THINKING.KEEP IT UP BRO.and excuse me if i hurt u unintentinaly.but the way u blamed me tha t i consider dhoti and daman something inferior and shameful is not right.at that time I did not remember that in the post u mentioned that u r already married.I was thinking that that ur a bacheolar.anyways I wish u all the best.
Ritu

Secondly, Ritu with your reaction i felt that you consider dhoti and daman some thing shameful or inferior, if so is the case i need not try and convince you any further, atleast thanks that you wrote some thing about

Neeraj Sheoran[/quote]

dndeswal
May 1st, 2006, 11:21 PM
Like Ghaaghri in the case of ladies, the old style dhoti is losing the grip among the youngesters. I was confused by the title of this post "suits and shervanis". Shervani is actually a long coat (upto knees) worn with 'chooridaar pyjama'. I do not think it is popular among Jats, though it is shown in films.

On the other hand, 'Jodhpuri coat' is our national dress. It is a 'band gale ka coat' along with western style pant. This suit is superb and Rajputs wear it along with traditional pugree at all social occasions. You must have seen Prime Minister wearing such a dress on many official occasions. I see no harm if this is worn at the time of marriages because it is purely an Indian dress, though not popular in Haryana - yet popular in Jats of Rajasthan. But no Shervani !

And no harm in popularising traditional menwear 'dhoti', especially in marriages etc. - it is a superb dress.

deepakmann
May 1st, 2006, 11:52 PM
the modern brides n grooms think 2 be the best in their dresses since the wedding day comes just once in life of anybody.they also feel more comfortable n trendy with them.
so we should be thankful 2 our old folks who grace the ocassion with KHANDKAS,DHOTI-KURTAS,DAMANS,JUTI AR CHUNDAD.
"ar un bhi aaj kaal ki bahu t daman ke bhoj tal a dab jyangi"
but the idea of traditional dresses with desi music is really nice one n must be kicked on.
"ar dosto byah m halwe ar churme p tiki pakode t faltu jor hona chahiye"

deepshi
May 2nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
my dad had got married wearin dhoti-kurta:) ---n by proper arya samaj rituals- itwas such a lengthyyyyyyyy procedure-all d mantras n all!
n m game 4 it (our cultural dress) if d guy insists:)
v shud nt hv any qualms bout it!

desijat
May 2nd, 2006, 12:30 AM
my dad had got married wearin dhoti-kurta:) ---n by proper arya samaj rituals- itwas such a lengthyyyyyyyy procedure-all d mantras n all!
Pandat ghani masti le ra hoga, nahi te Arya Samaj ki shadiya ghani lambi konya hoti

Are jo pehnana hai mujhe jaldi pahnao
meri shadi karwao meri shadi karwao:p

dndeswal
May 2nd, 2006, 12:39 AM

Ey Deepshikha, kya tum apne daddy ki shaddi mein present thi? HAHAHA ! Just kidding - don't mind please. But then you say - it was such a lengthy procedure - all the mantras. No. Arya Samaj marriages are the shortest ones. Wo to koi Pouranik pandit hoga jisne poora Bhaagvat Puraan padh diya hoga ! But excuse me, ye sab to aapke daddy ke elders ko ya aapke mamaa etc. ko pata hoga ki vo koun pandit tha jisne itni lambi Arya Samaji ritual kar di thi! :) :)

neerajshoran
May 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM

I appreciate the spirit and that's what is expected, this is how we will be able to keep our culture and traditions going. As far as arya samaj marriages are concerned they aren't so long.

Neeraj Shoran

prashantacmet
May 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Deswaal Ji ya to kasutti kah di thaamne............

Ey Deepshikha, kya tum apne daddy ki shaddi mein present thi? HAHAHA ! Just kidding - don't mind please. But then you say - it was such a lengthy procedure - all the mantras. No. Arya Samaj marriages are the shortest ones. Wo to koi Pouranik pandit hoga jisne poora Bhaagvat Puraan padh diya hoga ! But excuse me, ye sab to aapke daddy ke elders ko ya aapke mamaa etc. ko pata hoga ki vo koun pandit tha jisne itni lambi Arya Samaji ritual kar di thi! :) :)

rockingguy
May 3rd, 2006, 06:57 PM
yeah aarya samaj marriages are the shortest ones..but some of the pandits..use to explain each and every mantra..aur har fere ke baad baitha kar..10 minute ka explanation...mere mama ka byah3 ghante mein karwaya tha bairi ne...normal yajya mantra bhi samjhave tha bairi..

sansanwalamit
May 4th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I think it is too early to sat but I am very sure that I will be dressed in a Dhoti on my wedding ceremony, even on my sister's wedding I was dressed in Dhoti. But the dhoti did cause some funny incidents, first thing I didnt realize that legs arent fully covered in a dhoti and since I sat as if I was wearing trousers, I found my secrets (well covered) revealed in some photos later on.
Another thing was that many baratis thought I was the shaadi ka pundit and they made a lot of fun of me when they found me drunk and partying hard.

sansanwalamit
May 4th, 2006, 08:51 AM

If you aint got any qualms, they why would you want your man to insist. Old habits die hard or what????

sunitahooda
May 4th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I really liked this idea....mera to kadey-kadey office mai bhi Daaman-choonddi pahar kai aa ka jee karya karei....arr saari toom....KANTHI/GALLSARI/MATARMALA/BORLAA/CHOONDA/PAJJEB/KADDI/CHHELL KADDEY....ek baar ye saari toom arr Daaman pehrya tha....arr wo din aaj bi yaad sai....:)

mansi1218
May 5th, 2006, 02:08 AM
I really liked this idea....mera to kadey-kadey office mai bhi Daaman-choonddi pahar kai aa ka jee karya karei....arr saari toom....KANTHI/GALLSARI/MATARMALA/BORLAA/CHOONDA/PAJJEB/KADDI/CHHELL KADDEY....ek baar ye saari toom arr Daaman pehrya tha....arr wo din aaj bi yaad sai....:)

Sunita bebe 1 baat boojhu......daatiye manna

ghani waar ki dekhan laag rhi thi par nu samajh koni aayi ak yo "daaman" hove ke sai

sunitahooda
May 5th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Chhori Daaman jisney TUM AAJ KAL ki Chhori....GYPSY SKIRT kehya karto....:p ;) ghaaghri....hahahahahahaha....par ye Gypsy Skirt mai wo maja na aata jo daaman mai....:) :D dekh manne bi pahar rakhya sai fotu mai....:cool: arr bawli bebe apni Mummy kai dadi ai poochh leti uney jarur bera hoga....shartiya:rolleyes:
Sunita bebe 1 baat boojhu......daatiye manna

ghani waar ki dekhan laag rhi thi par nu samajh koni aayi ak yo "daaman" hove ke sai

mansi1218
May 6th, 2006, 05:29 AM
meri maa ne yo net na acha lagta ghana sa.main boojhti te wa bolti "'tanne fer jatland khol liya hoga.....':mad:

desijat
May 6th, 2006, 10:50 AM
meri maa ne yo net na acha lagta ghana sa.main boojhti te wa bolti "'tanne fer jatland khol liya hoga.....':mad:
Kahani GHAR GHAR Ki:p

mothsara1st
May 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM
sare chote bade dostan na Ram ram
Jitai baat aapni culture ki aawe se mera to itna a kahna se ke apne moral value nahin bhulne chahiye baki rahi baat dhoti-kurta ,pant-shirt ki to itna a kahna sa ek parivartan sansar ka niyam sa ja privartan nahin hoga to sansar nahin bi nahin hoga to mera khayal main to yo itan badda issue koni ke hamne dhoti kurte paharne chod diye ........................
jaroori baat ya hai ke hamne is modern sansar main bi aapne aadarsh koni bhulane chahiye

jai ram ji ki