PDA

View Full Version : r u good at ur mother language..?

fool4love
May 4th, 2006, 02:50 AM
In Indian educational system… higher the level we go in… lesser the Hindi and more English we use. Vocabulary items (terms) in those specific subjects are quite unique n not suitable to be translated into Hindi, so we study them in English.
There should definitely be some kind of balance… but I don think there is..
I can't deny my results in Hindi ..i never did that well.… my written hindi..or say hindi grammar (maatras n stuff) are a bit weaker than my written English.
…even when we chat with anyone.. we prefer to converse in English..…
I think…in general, Indians with higher education always go with better english and comparatively weaker Hindi.
plz.. correct me if i'm wrong../ ur views...

keshavdahiya
May 4th, 2006, 03:14 AM
bhai kamal are you talking about hindi or haryanvi :eek: ......some people can't even express in hindi properly.......woh haryanvi accent aa hi jata hai....
no matter how hard I try to speak hindi....it takes no time for the other person to guess that I am from haryana...:(...any way....u have a point....and why are we lacking in our own mother toungue.

scsheorayan
May 4th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Disagree with this theory that with higher education your knowledge of Hindi diminishes. Believe it all depends on interest and amount of time spent in learning and practicing the language. Some people are good in one language only where as some are very good in more than one language. Those who get an opportunity to practice hindi at home and on social occasions do maintain the command on their language but those who never learnt it properly in the first place find it easy to communicate in english because they never learnt to think in hindi and can not say that hindi is their mother tongue. Any thing worth doing is worth doing well. Therefore if you like to master hindi or any other language for that matter build up your foundation through proper learning. Accent is another hurdle and is harder to unlearn but can be done if some one is serious about it.

sansanwalamit
May 4th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I consider Haryanvi my mother language and manne laage hai ki mari haryanvi to kassooti hai.

In regards to Hindi I would say I lack grounds in it, I am honestly bad at it, so bad that whenever I converse in Hindi my Haryanvi takes over :( but still I get by. Surprisingly, I can still read Hindi very well, Mr. Deswal's posts have been reassuring me of it ;)

And yes I also disagree with the theory with that Higher Education results in diminishing knowledge of Hindi. Look at me, I am not very highly educated but my Hindi is still bad ;)

sunitahooda
May 4th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Manne lagey mai to theek thak si Haryanwi Bol/likh/padh saku sun....arr Hindi bhi kati madi konya meri kati na mai galti karun Maatra ki ...bina ek bi lecture attend kare 50 mai tai 49 lumber aaye the BA Final mai arr bina kitaab khollein 60% MA mai....arr engreji mai UK ki achi bol liya karun arr Umrican axxent seekhan ki taah mai sun....ibbey tame ki kami sai....learig driving/swimmimg/Gym and ye saas bahu serial tameich nahi bachta apun ke paas.:) :D Jo maja Haryanvi likhney/bolney/padhney me aata hai wo kisi bhasha me nahi hai....You get expertise in your field of interest....:)

rekharathee
May 4th, 2006, 03:03 PM
its not about education , its all about your maternal tounge, your social circle, and schooling. I have seen some jat families who scold their children for speaking haryanvi, because they fear, it will be hurdle in their future,and to some extent they are right, as children are interviewed for their nursery class entrance.

and our "durrbhaggya" there is the perception in our country that a person's intelligence is proportionate to his proficiency at english,

itsnavin
May 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Bilkul...aur kyon nahin...Hindu school walon ne pachhey pe bahut dande mare they...uske baad koi bhool sake hai??
Haryanwi te aani-e thee. lekin yaa baat theek hai ki main jaise hee Haryana ya Delhi mein enter karta hun...my mother tongue switches to Haryanwi and it brings the results!

fool4love
May 5th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I consider Haryanvi my mother language and manne laage hai ki mari haryanvi to kassooti hai.

In regards to Hindi I would say I lack grounds in it, I am honestly bad at it, so bad that whenever I converse in Hindi my Haryanvi takes over :( but still I get by. Surprisingly, I can still read Hindi very well, Mr. Deswal's posts have been reassuring me of it ;)

And yes I also disagree with the theory with that Higher Education results in diminishing knowledge of Hindi. Look at me, I am not very highly educated but my Hindi is still bad ;)

u myt consider Haryanvi/french/spanish/mandrine as ur mother language.... its up to u... but its not abt wht u consider... its abt the reality... wht it is n wht it sud be!... if u ask me to write an essay in Hindy... i'm screwed... seriously!.. n it sudn't be like that! .. yeah, i agree that its upto my interest... but during high school/college/univ... who read knovels or news papers in hindi ??....
i'm not crying abt anything here.. don get me wrong.. this is no theory.. i'm just talking in general.... higher studies.. better english.. n comparatively weaker Hindi.

dndeswal
May 5th, 2006, 01:17 AM

This happens when one becomes 'out of touch' in so far as writing a language is concerned - we must practice writing Hindi in a diary etc., as a hobby. This way, there remains a continuity. Writing something is more powerful than speaking. Hindi and Haryanavi are no different - none speaks pure Hindi - each region has its own dialect - but we consider Hindi our common language. I have been stressing the need that we should not be out of touch with our languages - both in speaking and in writing. Updating Haryanavi dictionary on this site by me is a step in that direction only - so that our new generation can find out a particular word which they are hearing from others' mouth but find it difficult to transcribe.

The worrying factor is mushrooming of 'English medium' schools in India. I see no harm in English medium but I do see some foreign hand which wants to eliminate our languages and make us slaves again. We have heard stories in newspapers when some schoolboys are being punished by their teachers because they (students) were found to be talking in Hindi. And this is a widespread problem - not much is reported about the happenings in schools. Such tendency on the part of these schools only creates a feeling in the minds of young students that their mother tongue (Hindi) is a second-rate language.

sansanwalamit
May 5th, 2006, 09:10 AM
This happens when one becomes 'out of touch' in so far as writing a language is concerned - we must practice writing Hindi in a diary etc., as a hobby. This way, there remains a continuity. Writing something is more powerful than speaking. Hindi and Haryanavi are no different - none speaks pure Hindi - each region has its own dialect - but we consider Hindi our common language. I have been stressing the need that we should not be out of touch with our languages - both in speaking and in writing. Updating Haryanavi dictionary on this site by me is a step in that direction only - so that our new generation can find out a particular word which they are hearing from others' mouth but find it difficult to transcribe.

The worrying factor is mushrooming of 'English medium' schools in India. I see no harm in English medium but I do see some foreign hand which wants to eliminate our languages and make us slaves again. We have heard stories in newspapers when some schoolboys are being punished by their teachers because they (students) were found to be talking in Hindi. And this is a widespread problem - not much is reported about the happenings in schools. Such tendency on the part of these schools only creates a feeling in the minds of young students that their mother tongue (Hindi) is a second-rate language.

I dont think its the schools that should be blamed for that, it is the post colonial Indian society which gives English the sought after status in India. I also dont see anything wrong with it, success of a language depends on many factors and knowledge being the most important one. In today's world English is the most important language, most of the knowledge is available in English. English is also the lingua franca, the whole world is moving towards English now. It is infact very good that schools are following such strict rules to expand English in Indian society. It is heartening to see English being transferred from the elites to the Indian middle class now. But I am not trying to take away any respect from Hindi, practically Hindi doesnt stand a ground in front of English, even in India. So in order to be successful one does need a good knowledge of English, but that doesnt mean one should forget Hindi or their mother tongue.
Choice of retaining one's mother tongue is a personal choice.

Cheers,

satyeshwar
May 5th, 2006, 11:53 AM
bhai, kis kis ne ka, kha, ga aave sai?? Jara apne haath khade kariyo?? Manne te aave sai poori! :D

sunitahooda
May 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Bagh jibbey tai humney tere pai poora NAAZ sai....mahra LAADLA BAGH:p :D
bhai, kis kis ne ka, kha, ga aave sai?? Jara apne haath khade kariyo?? Manne te aave sai poori! :D

ratheetheraist
May 5th, 2006, 07:44 PM
oooooooooo bhaiiyoo...........kimee padhh likh lyoo chaahee kimmee bann jaaoo.......yuu GHAPALL CHOOTHH teyy hoee binnaa naa rehndaa bhaii..........:p;):D