PDA

View Full Version : Can Sarcasm be accepted as a positive expression?

akanksha
May 15th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Can sarcasm be accepted as a positive expression?

Well, though I would be the last one to be sarcastic, but I guess sometimes it can really change an individual...specially when you really respect someone and are trying to put forward your point and then unexpectedly that someone turns sarcastic and acerbic....then it depends upon the individual to escalate that sarcasm either for bringing about a positive change.....or just ignoring everything and being sad and then carrying own with your own ideology and keep going...the way you wanted........but then I have seen many people who come forward really changed and much more determined because of one sarcasm.....

So, the only end point that I could see in this whole discussion is that ‘sarcasm’ to certain limits may help.. especially when you are close to that person...but otherwise like everything in this world it has both , a positive as well as a negative aspect....and more than that it depends upon the individual and the relationship that you share with that person........

I guess at least we can justify an answer for one question (is God pleased with humor? Does God laugh with us?).well surely life’s of god...for us.. and is to realize that no matter how tense and sad and lonely the situations of life may be, only happiness can lighten up your heart.. and happiness dwells in humor.. and a bit of you friend’s sarcasm as well and when we’ll be happy... God too will be happy and I guess what would be world like if everyone is just well-mannered, sedate & sober and as people say ‘It saves us from the other extreme - uptight properness, turn-the-other-way-awkwardly every time someone does something stupid, guarded attitudes.’...

So I guess its absolutely nice to be humorous and one can be sarcastic with those close to. So humor is an essential ingredient of life spiced up with a bit of sarcasm(only up to a certain limit)..and I guess ‘happiness’ is just a bit nicer and another word for humor... an I guess everyone likes it until they’ve strictly decided to be always sarcastic even for accepting life’s happiness. Words are precious and have a power to change and inspire life...so we should just maintain their sweetness and fun of humor to keep going when situations of life gets tough and frustrating...
and as the Lord Byron has once quoted:

‘But words are things, a small drop ink,

Falling like dew upon a thought, produces

That , which makes thousands,
Perhaps millions, think”

So we should take care of what we say. Words are all that we possess to gift an expression to our thoughts...

But can sarcasm be accepted as a positive expression?

And Can it be considered as a way to reach humor and happiness while traveling through different ways to reach the destination of our life ?
I wonder, when it can really make you smile, even inspire and lighten up your heart most of the times.. If not always..

Akanksha ..

navingulia
May 15th, 2006, 12:26 PM
the human mind and way it works is very varied and complicated. How we react to situations and times varies. There could be some rare instances where sarcasm motivated some one to do something. In 99 out of 100 cases, sarcasm will not be positive/motivating.
Sarcasm as humor serves as light fun but doesnt change things. We cant get rid of alchoholism by making fun of those who are into it. Same with corruption. Being sarcastic with a child who isnt good in studies wont help him in any way.
In our community i have observed a much greater tendency to be sarcastic towards everything. i thing it to be a big negative.
Sarcasm in some cases maynot be negatibe but it being positive is very difficult.

sjakhars
May 15th, 2006, 04:04 PM
The meaning of the word itself tells the truth.

Sarcasm:A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
( www.dictionary.com )
Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>
(merrium-webster online; www.m-w.com )

other than this I agree with Mr.Navin Gulia.But the ratio of positive and negative outcomes is not more than 1:1000.
Very very rare positive outcome.:cool:

vijay
May 18th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Well Akanksha,

Sarcasm should not be considered as an ideal human nature. Some people like to follow that and try to hide their own faults. Ironically they blame others for their own faults.

Really !!!

One should be honest in every relationship and should have a transparent life style, for whom the person he/she care about. Otherwise its deception.

I still wonder why people like deception if they are true in the relationships.

They use sarcasm as their weapon to hide their own faults.

akanksha
May 19th, 2006, 02:28 PM
navin: //In our community i have observed a much greater tendency to be sarcastic towards everything. i thing it to be a big negative.//

you are right!!
and yes its true that being sarcastic towards a kid never helps.
generally between grown ups, a light sarcasm meant for fun might
just settle in our thoughts in such a way that we unconsciously start to improve ourself to live up the expectations of some person we really admire. coz if do admire someone for what they have achieved, then we sumhow would take that sarcasm seriously.. somewhere itw ud affect us n make us think.. i dunno.. it can go in any direction..depends on the person how
he takes n thinks about it.. but i guess..i have witnessed many cases where a sarcasm has really helped a person rise against the odds..although the one who was sarcastic no more shared that friendly relationship with the person he was sarcastic for.. thats is true..sumwhere relationship is affected... and yet success is achieved as well..
somethings can be argued upon forever coz we cant conclude them..and we cant conclude coz they are personalized.. depends on each person how he/she takes the sarcasm..
all in all, sarcasm should not be practised by parents..
thanks for taking out time and sharing your views..

Akanksha ..

akanksha
May 19th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Sitraram jakhar: thank you Sir for sharing the details.
As far as the positive side of sarcasm is concerned, I have seen many of my friends who have benefitted from their best friend's sarcasm. they were silent for considerable time, their realtionship was affected and yet one sarcasm did make her become the topper..leaving behind the one who was sarcstic..But still if sarcams would make you loose your friend, then it has a possible negativity as well.
thanks for your views.

regards,

Akanksha..

akanksha
May 19th, 2006, 02:41 PM
vijay: i agree with you when you say that 'they blame others for their own faults'.. this is very true..actually frustrations and tensions have increases so much na..that somewhere or the other young people often tend to beomce like that and blame everyone for every thing thats wrong.
you are right that in a relationship, transparency should be there.. yes, it is deceptions otherwise..

hey, initially people feel that theirs is the best relationship but gradually when they can't compromise even on little things they start to find faults with each other..oh well..this is big issue..in short ..

sarcasm/deception should not be there in a realtionship>>good point!!

ratheetheraist
May 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM
hey akanksha.......u r absolutely right..........t.............. k.............. a...........hehe....samajhi;):)

akanksha
May 19th, 2006, 02:56 PM
vikas: theek kahi aapne..:)

vijay
May 19th, 2006, 02:56 PM
vijay: i agree with you when you say that 'they blame others for their own faults'.. this is very true..actually frustrations and tensions have increases so much na..that somewhere or the other young people often tend to beomce like that and blame everyone for every thing thats wrong.

you are right that in a relationship, transparency should be there.. yes, it is deceptions otherwise..

hey, initially people feel that theirs is the best relationship but gradually when they can't compromise even on little things they start to find faults with each other..oh well..this is big issue..in short ..

sarcasm/deception should not be there in a realtionship>>good point!!

Akanksha,

Thanks for understanding my point of view

In Today's world, relationship starts with a deception and ends with sarcasm.

People can't tolerate each others little shortcomings and nobody is perfect here. So, relationship doesn't last anymore.

Nobody can save a relationship using deception. Sooner or later facts will pop out and leads to destroy the relationship.

Truth maybe hard but works fine in relationship forever.

I still wonder why people choose the way of deception for relationship knowing the fact that lies can't do any right for them

sunitahooda
May 19th, 2006, 03:33 PM
oops....galti se ho gaya

sunitahooda
May 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM
What are we discussing here? Sarcasm or Relationships.....or sarcasm in Relationships or Transparency in Relationships? Literal meaning of the word-Sarcasm? I think Naveen's point is related to the topic

vijay
May 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Sarcasm and relationhsip are interelated.

Sarcasm happens in relationship only ( Any relation).

Sarcasm can't be used with strangers.

sunitahooda
May 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM
But i feel that sarcasm is more sarcastic if it is with STRANGERS???? as we to some extent take care of our relationships.....directly or indirectly

vijay
May 19th, 2006, 03:52 PM
If we try to be sarcastic with strangers it lead us into a fight. That is not sarcasm, but a bad behaviour.

We become sarcastic with our own people for whom we care for good or bad reasons.

deepakchoudhry
May 19th, 2006, 03:56 PM
If Sarcasm could help other people then lets all be Sarcastic. :)

But this is usually not the case, It is usually intended to demean other individual.....Now how others take that Sarcasm is upto the other individual...negatively or positively.

I dont think person who is being sacastic is using to encourage others. :)

sunitahooda
May 19th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Why to be sarcastic???? if we really care???? and is that a relationship if theres sarcasm in it?

vijay
May 19th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Well,

Sometimes we think that other person is doing wrong or maybe we misunderstand other person's point of view or sometimes we are wrong and try to hide our faults in any relationship.

These are the few cases from a long list when we more or less become sarcastic.

devdahiya
May 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Sarcasm par say is not good as it hurts the recipient...but harmless casual sarcasm used in lighter moments and in jokes is not bad at all provided it is directed in a general way and not towards an indvidual present.It is a negative trait without any doubt...should be avoided.

vijay
May 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Right, Sarcasm should be avoided. It affects the relationships.

sjakhars
May 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Nice explaination in simple words.
GREAT DEV SIR.

Sarcasm par say is not good as it hurts the recipient...but harmless casual sarcasm used in lighter moments and in jokes is not bad at all provided it is directed in a general way and not towards an indvidual present.It is a negative trait without any doubt...should be avoided.

ritu
May 20th, 2006, 02:17 AM
i agree with u sunita.
aisa lag raha wo kahte he na "aapni aapni daphli aapna aapna raag":)
rahi bat sarcasm ki to humne to yo kaam ata nahi er na sahan hota .jo kahna h t kah do saf saf.mere khayal te haryanvi me ek kahavat se" tarle basan pe marna" osne english me sarcasm kah de se shyad.
I hate sarcastic people and i have never seen sarcasm doing good to anybody.

What are we discussing here? Sarcasm or Relationships.....or sarcasm in Relationships or Transparency in Relationships? Literal meaning of the word-Sarcasm? I think Naveen's point is related to the topic

vijay
May 20th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Right Ritu,

Sarcasm is the weapon of insecure people who don't have the confidence to tell truth in front of the person in simple and straight words.

Sarcasm never did right to anybody.

akanksha
May 20th, 2006, 12:12 PM
dev sir, you have given the best concluding defination of sarcasm..
I guess.. every one here can look up to it and justify their own thoughts about it...

regards

akanksha..