PDA

View Full Version : Need help for Slipped disc

shobhitdeshwal
May 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Hi all,

I have been suffering this bad pain and ill feeling for last 5 months now. MRI scans revealed two of my discs viz L4L5 and L5S1 were slipped and have put pressure on nerve roots.

I get jitters of shooting pain and am left with nothing but howls and cries even to get up from the bed. Am on bed rest for long a time now and wonder if there is an alternative theraphy to save me from this.

Please suggest if any.

satyeshwar
May 23rd, 2006, 12:46 PM
A friend of mine had severe back pain. So much so, that he couldn't come to work anymore. He told me that the best thing that helped him was swimming. He also does some yoga now. Maybe you can try these as well. Good luck!

bharatrattan
May 23rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
Dear Sobhit,
The doctor who had your MRI done should have given opinion about surgery or not.As you are young, consider this option.Neurological damage is slow to develop but largely irreversible. It is better to get it corrected timely than wait till the injury proceeds beyond repair. I have seen many Jats who physically abuse their back and afterwards trying to avoid surgery keep looking for easy fixes like Ramdev for two-three years. Look for a good Doctor (Go to AIIMS and get yourself checked by Dr Madhuri Bihari. I have passed out of that place and have no contacts in Neurology speciality. It is pain worth taking. GO to AIIMS Website, find her OPD days and write an email to her. Explain and request an appointment for checkup, which would save your time. She might not respond due to busy schedule. In that case you will have to wait in the queue. But when Biharies can catch Shatabdi Express to get thenselves "properly" checked at AIIMS, you can afford to wait in the OPD. I myslef waited for whole morning sessions to get my UNCLE checked, who used to get angry that I had no "usefull" contacts.
(AND don't listen to stories of the kind written above, which are too inaccurate to invest time and effort.)
(It is one of the few surgeries where the outcome is amazingly successfull in neurosurgery, sometimes called the bread and butter of their profession.)
JAN HAI TO JAHAN HAI
Take care,
Bharat

deepshi
May 23rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
hehe- maaroge k chhorey ne??
ya- hydrotherapy can help, bt swimming:confused:
akk foot-drop karwaoge- rahi sahi nass bi likadd padengi!:o
bladder bowel ka control bera bi naa lagega, n m nt jokin here
shobhit- take good care f ur back- first consult a good neurosurgeon n den u can approach a physiotherapist- believe me it wl do wonders.:)
n take precautions( i think il hv to post a thread regarding back care n spinal injury) n its treatment

cooljat
May 23rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
hye gulabo,
thanks a lot for gud info otherwise teri short hand to kati samaj mein hi naa aati mane to :p :D :p :D

Btw, I wud highly greatful to u all if u somehow help my bro Shobhit, recently I met him after long time and I felt really low when I saw his condition...btw Deepshikha why dont u provide some gud info as I know ur a very gud Physio :)

Ppl, help my bro! I wud be greatful to u all! thanks!

Rock on
Jit

hehe- maaroge k chhorey ne??
ya- hydrotherapy can help, bt swimming:confused:
akk foot-drop karwaoge- rahi sahi nass bi likadd padengi!:o
bladder bowel ka control bera bi naa lagega, n m nt jokin here
shobhit- take good care f ur back- first consult a good neurosurgeon n den u can approach a physiotherapist- believe me it wl do wonders.:)
n take precautions( i think il hv to post a thread regarding back care n spinal injury) n its treatment

narenderkharb
May 23rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks Sobhit for starting this thread.

I too have this problem may be to a lesser degree.

Report says it is Lumbar spondylosis.

Dr advised me to do certain back excercise which are not proving helpful so far.

May be Dr Bharat ratan and Deepshikha suggest some way to come out of it.

shobhitdeshwal
May 23rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
Dear Seniors,
I must thank all of you for a timely and a much needed advice.
Dr. Bharat, i would like to mention that I have consulted a good Neurosurgeon, Dr. Tuli, we were about to have the surgery done, when the case seemed not to be good enough to be controlled by a microdisectomy and an open spinal surgery was recommended, in first week of April. Now, a list of risks involved was handed beforehand, which made my family reluctant for the surgery and everyone took surgery as the last resort.
The pain is not just in the back, it moves right from my right hip till the toe, and I am unable to even walk with the help of a stick when it gets in. The pain is pretty unpredictable and leaves me with nothing.
Ya sure Dr.Ratan I will make it a visit to AIIMS at the most recent off from my work. Satyepal ji, I would have loved to go for swimming, but wherein, I am unable to move my leg, i guess I might not be able to swim properly in this stage, as a physical theraphy measure once this pain gets back, i will surely try that.
Deepshikha, Gulabo, as Jit bhai says... Thanks for the info provided and I would really love to have a list of precautions from you. One I know is nor bending forwards, but.... I hardly am able to follow that, I being 6'4" tall, find it difficult to brush my teeth at the wash basin even as it is at just 3'6" height from the ground!!!!
lambai ne maar liya majhe to kati!!!! ke karun??? Is lambai ne to isa kar diya.. akk babu keh byah kar le.. arr main bhagun pachhe ku!!!! Hi hi...
Thanks Anyways.

ritu
May 24th, 2006, 01:32 AM
shobit i think in your particular case surgery is the only option .I have seen surgery doing wonders for a case like yours.i think u should not delay.but you if can do simple stretches like taad aasan .namastae pose will be benefical to u.ihave djd in my back and know how back pain can change ur life.did u try acupressure

rameshlakra
May 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Dear shobit,

Although i am not on firm ground when i suggest these things as i am not an expert but it may help. This is apart from the surgery or any other treatment u have to take.

- Stop sitting at PC and if u have to then not more then 15 minutes at a stretch with 10 minutes breaks in between. Computer today is the biggest culprit for all sorts of back pain.

- Go for long walks(graduallly u should increase it to 10 kms and once a week around 20 kms)

- SIMPLE YOGA like tadasan and standing straight against a wall for 10-15 mins

- BUILD ur lower back muscles by some exercises u can find at internet

vimal_saroha
May 24th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Dear shobhit,
I can really understand your pain Because my wife was completly bed ridden for almost 10 months and we trried all sorts of therapies (accupuncuter,Acupressure,Phyotherpy etc),visited Indian spinal Injury centre in Delhi but of no use she was almost in a state of mind that she will be never able to walk again.But somhow by the grace of God She came out of that stage and now she is doing all house hold works but with some precautions.
Point is that u should keep your spirit high and have positive thoughts to come out of this.Try Putting Lumber belts all the time while u r out of bed.
ALL THE BEST GOD WILL CERTAINLY HELP U OUT

skarmveer
May 26th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Hello Shobhit

I know one person staying at Paschim vihar. He is able treat slip disc by malish with a oil and some hot water therapy. He did the treatment of person known to me, if you interested i will take you to Paschim Vihar
or else guide you about location. Pl coll me on my Mobile 9810059744.

Karmveer

Hi all,

I have been suffering this bad pain and ill feeling for last 5 months now. MRI scans revealed two of my discs viz L4L5 and L5S1 were slipped and have put pressure on nerve roots.

I get jitters of shooting pain and am left with nothing but howls and cries even to get up from the bed. Am on bed rest for long a time now and wonder if there is an alternative theraphy to save me from this.

Please suggest if any.

deepshi
June 8th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I was startled to know dat one f d fellow n worthy jatlanders had labelled my reply in dis post as wayward n i hv made a mockery f d post:confused: did i??
heaven of heavens-- such an illogical thought, dat too bein a doc himself- m baffled!
i was totally unaware till a gal frn of mine brought it 2 my notice.
well, if d guy askin 4 sum solution ,alongwid others dint find any offending word in my post, then i dont assume d aforesaid guy 2 b a magistrate 2 label or declare whats right or wrong !
i think i had made d point clear to shobhit n others as well, then wher cud he find any 'KILKI' meentioned here.
n u can always alleviate d diseases if u take it in a lighter way, n pep-up d patients a bit, bringin them outta sheer agony n depression- as i was tryin to.

practically i hv dealt wid loads f patients- n believe me- they insist n prefer 2 b treated by me- not avursed!
so doc! bring a bit cheerfulness in yr attitude- else u wl scare ur patients away wid ur ghastly expressions ,,,else try joinin sum laughter club-;)
they do help !

ritu
June 9th, 2006, 05:28 AM
pinks hahaha.today i would like to give u a compliment straight 4om my small heart.dt u have a awesome sense of humor.keep it up.
er shobit t bhi ek baat kahna chahugi ek
jigar ka dard ghana hoja t kad m chala jaya kare.
and this fact is now scientifically proven.
to shobit apne jigar n raazi rakh kad aape hi thik hojagi.

I was startled to know dat one f d fellow n worthy jatlanders had labelled my reply in dis post as wayward n i hv made a mockery f d post:confused: did i??
heaven of heavens-- such an illogical thought, dat too bein a doc himself- m baffled!
i was totally unaware till a gal frn of mine brought it 2 my notice.
well, if d guy askin 4 sum solution ,alongwid others dint find any offending word in my post, then i dont assume d aforesaid guy 2 b a magistrate 2 label or declare whats right or wrong !
i think i had made d point clear to shobhit n others as well, then wher cud he find any 'KILKI' meentioned here.
n u can always alleviate d diseases if u take it in a lighter way, n pep-up d patients a bit, bringin them outta sheer agony n depression- as i was tryin to.

practically i hv dealt wid loads f patients- n believe me- they insist n prefer 2 b treated by me- not avursed!
so doc! bring a bit cheerfulness in yr attitude- else u wl scare ur patients away wid ur ghastly expressions ,,,else try joinin sum laughter club-;)
they do help !

abeniwal
June 10th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Dear Shobhit,
Hi!
I don't know how did U get this problem, but one of my colleague got similar problem 3-weeks back. This happened while he was travelling , after a 10Hr. flight when he get down from the plan, pain started in his back and he could not walk for about one week. Then he came back to Canada and consulted the Doc's here. The Dr. sent him for the phisiotherapy and from last two weeks he is just doing all those massages and therapies but no any improvement, now he has more pain in one of the legs but the back pain is less.
The Dr. has told him that this pain will go just by time no any treatments except exercise and therapy.
If you find some better treatment please inform me so that I can help him.
Take care.
Ajay Beniwal

ritu
June 10th, 2006, 03:40 AM
I think abeniwal whtever ur friends doctor r doing is best 4 him .normally it takes one month of therapy to see some results.rest and therapy is the only cure 4 this .once he stat feeling better he can do taadasan.

Dear Shobhit,
Hi!
I don't know how did U get this problem, but one of my colleague got similar problem 3-weeks back. This happened while he was travelling , after a 10Hr. flight when he get down from the plan, pain started in his back and he could not walk for about one week. Then he came back to Canada and consulted the Doc's here. The Dr. sent him for the phisiotherapy and from last two weeks he is just doing all those massages and therapies but no any improvement, now he has more pain in one of the legs but the back pain is less.
The Dr. has told him that this pain will go just by time no any treatments except exercise and therapy.
If you find some better treatment please inform me so that I can help him.
Take care.
Ajay Beniwal

pragati
June 16th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Dear Sobhit,
The doctor who had your MRI done should have given opinion about surgery or not.As you are young, consider this option.Neurological damage is slow to develop but largely irreversible. It is better to get it corrected timely than wait till the injury proceeds beyond repair. I have seen many Jats who physically abuse their back and afterwards trying to avoid surgery keep looking for easy fixes like Ramdev for two-three years. Look for a good Doctor (Go to AIIMS and get yourself checked by Dr Madhuri Bihari. I have passed out of that place and have no contacts in Neurology speciality. It is pain worth taking. GO to AIIMS Website, find her OPD days and write an email to her. Explain and request an appointment for checkup, which would save your time. She might not respond due to busy schedule. In that case you will have to wait in the queue. But when Biharies can catch Shatabdi Express to get thenselves "properly" checked at AIIMS, you can afford to wait in the OPD. I myslef waited for whole morning sessions to get my UNCLE checked, who used to get angry that I had no "usefull" contacts.
(AND don't listen to stories of the kind written above, which are too inaccurate to invest time and effort.)
(It is one of the few surgeries where the outcome is amazingly successfull in neurosurgery, sometimes called the bread and butter of their profession.)
JAN HAI TO JAHAN HAI
Take care,
Bharat

Dr. Bharat
You are right...I want to tell here the case of my relative. He is a young guy having slip disc problem & my own Bhabhi is suffering. My cousin, who is a neurosurgon in Delhi, checked up both of them. He said that both cases are different & we can not suggest the same cure for each & every case, just listening the slip disc problem. Both of them are young, he suggested the guy....not to wait for a worst condition & just lay down for surgery...and for the case of my bhabhi, he suggested to wait & avoid surgery, because after surgery there are chances to make her legs lifeless.
He also suggested both of them some exercises & not to sit on the back seat of a car & give more attention on their feet movements during walking....

sanjayrana
June 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Dear Shobhit,

I have suffered from this slip disc. I had been fortunate to get up from bed in ten days with homeopathic medicines. I know the names of medicines the doctor had prescribed for me but it changes from person to person. I would suggest you that consult any Homeo physician for treatment. I am sure it is worth giving a try before you go for surgery.

Good luck.

Sanjay