PDA

View Full Version : Use G Mail as a Hard Drive

misguidedyouth
June 15th, 2006, 02:03 PM
an old one but may b useful for some new ones

If you ever need more hard drive disk space just create a bunch of gmail accounts. Then download Gmail Drive from the link here:

http://www.herbsforlife.nl/download/gmailfs110.zip

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual drive in the Windows Explorer, allowing you to use your Google Gmail account as a storage medium.

It allows you to do basic file manipulation, such as copy and delete, on files inside the GMail folder. Because it is a Shell Extension, the interface you work in is Windows Explorer itself.

GMail files are physically stored as e-mails on your Google Gmail account. The files are stored in mail attachments, and the filename and file information (such as filesize) is stored in the message subject line.

GMail Drive has already been installed on your computer. All you need to do now, is to browse to the GMail Drive entry under your My Computer folder in the Windows Explorer. (right click on My Computer and click on explore)

After you finished installing this, sign in with your username and password. If you wish to get a gmail account, then go to www.gmail.com and log in with ur gmail id!

This becomes like an external drive just drag and drop in the files u like in the GMail Drive..

Now the amazing thing is that when u drag the any files in the GMail Drive it will show in your email from your e-mail. So it save lot of time to as it is simple drag and drop...

Every Gmail account has a 2GB storage limit. If you have 1 gmail account you can make 50 more. i.e. 2x50 = 100GB of storage space.

screenshot attached

Now you dont need a new hard drive

lalit_nashier
June 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Really Nice..............Really..................

is it possible to merge the space capascity of two or more accounts using this GmailDrive...................

cheers................

sandeepsomu
June 15th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Brilliant trick ravinder... many thanks

ratheej
June 16th, 2006, 11:54 AM
hello i want to open an gmail account , but it seems it needs and invition of some sorts.
can anybody help me out
bye

misguidedyouth
June 16th, 2006, 12:35 PM
hello i want to open an gmail account , but it seems it needs and invition of some sorts.
can anybody help me out
bye

tell me ur email id n i'll send u invitation to open Gmail account.

cooljat
June 16th, 2006, 11:58 PM
bhai ravinder yaar very gud stuff

rock on
Jit

swadesh
June 20th, 2006, 01:32 AM

Every Gmail account has a 2GB storage limit. If you have 1 gmail account you can make 50 more. i.e. 2x50 = 100GB of storage space.
No, you may not need to creat so many accounts. every account will be allowed and will have unlimited capacity as per google.(ofcourse resonable)
As on date every google account gives you a storage capacity of 2736 MB and it is increasing every day. If you need more than today, then you may think of creating multiple accounts.
Please be aware that storing your private and confidential data is not as good as storing on your own disk.Google will display advertisements on the side of email interface based on the contents of your documents and also has many limitations.

I am already using more than 2GB. have a look at my previous link during year 2004 (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40030#post40030)

dahiyaneeraj
June 21st, 2006, 10:27 AM
Good Jugad !

Keep it up.

Neeraj Dahiya
BE Sun Travels
Optimising Your World

vikaskajal
June 22nd, 2006, 12:29 AM
Hi Ravinder,
I install Gmail drive successfully,but normal Edit functions(delete,cut) dont work on this drive.How can I delete or hide Gmail drive from the system?
Thanks
Vikas

If you ever need more hard drive disk space just create a bunch of gmail accounts. Then download Gmail Drive from the link here:

http://www.herbsforlife.nl/download/gmailfs110.zip

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual drive in the Windows Explorer, allowing you to use your Google Gmail account as a storage medium.

It allows you to do basic file manipulation, such as copy and delete, on files inside the GMail folder. Because it is a Shell Extension, the interface you work in is Windows Explorer itself.

GMail files are physically stored as e-mails on your Google Gmail account. The files are stored in mail attachments, and the filename and file information (such as filesize) is stored in the message subject line.

GMail Drive has already been installed on your computer. All you need to do now, is to browse to the GMail Drive entry under your My Computer folder in the Windows Explorer. (right click on My Computer and click on explore)

After you finished installing this, sign in with your username and password. If you wish to get a gmail account, then go to www.gmail.com (http://www.gmail.com) and log in with ur gmail id!

This becomes like an external drive just drag and drop in the files u like in the GMail Drive..

Now the amazing thing is that when u drag the any files in the GMail Drive it will show in your email from your e-mail. So it save lot of time to as it is simple drag and drop...

screenshot attached

misguidedyouth
June 22nd, 2006, 08:03 AM
Hi Ravinder,
I install Gmail drive successfully,but normal Edit functions(delete,cut) dont work on this drive.How can I delete or hide Gmail drive from the system?
Thanks
Vikas

to remove:
go to control panel -> add/remove program -> Gmail extension shell ...then click on remove.

normal edit functions not working may be
a) you are not logged in
b) you are not connected to internet

dahiyaneeraj
June 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM
can anybody help me out
bye
Invitation sent on 23june.

Neeraj Dahiya

mittu
July 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM
if you are behind LAN, Gmail passwords can b easily intercepted as they are not encrypted like yahoo which uses MD5#. so, i'll say u better use your physical hard disk.